Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg iMs-20 or iPolysix?

WTKWTK
edited August 2019 in General App Discussion

Hi all,

I need your opinion about whether I should buy the iMs-20 or iPolysix?

Why should I buy one or another?

I already own most Korg stuff and I could only afford one right now so it is strictly about these two synths so pls tell me which one would you choose and why? The sale ends on Friday so I am interested in your opinion about those two synths...

I am into 90s Techno/House/Deep House Production (Detroit/Chicago/NY/NJ style).

Edit: I watched numerous iOS and original Hardware videos on YouTube and still can’t decide which one should I buy.

Comments

• I'd also take a closer look at the iMono/Poly if you don't have it yet?

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

Great synth but I already got the iMono/Poly.

• @WTK said:

In that case iMS-20 as iPolysix is quite close to what you've already got with iMono/Poly especially since the polyphony of the software iMono/Poly can be increased which was not possible with the hardware.

If funding is not an issue get both :)

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

I still don’t get why I should get the iPolysix when I already bought iMono/Poly?

If I got it right the iPolysix is „similar“ to the Juno 6(0) which would be pretty cool but the iMS-20 could offer me some kind of new sound palette because of it‘s Modulation options.

I am into sound design for more than 15 years and I like having the opportunity to produce badass shit with virtual cv like Drexciya or other Electro/Techno producers from Detroit. But on the other hand I really dig the sound of a Juno (Larry Heard etc.) like all my Chicago/Detroit heroes.

I know that the iPolysix is not a Juno clone but I still like what I have heard so far. Same goes for the iMs-20...

I feel stuck...

• Yes

Kidding aside, the iMS-20 is more flexible and, to me, a happy accident machine. If you also have Gadget, you can use Memphis to process audio from other gadgets.

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Yes

Kidding aside, the iMS-20 is more flexible and, to me, a happy accident machine. If you also have Gadget, you can use Memphis to process audio from other

Nice.

Happy accidents sounds cool. :) That was my opinion when I was watching loads of MS-20 stuff.

But some of the bigger YouTube guys said that the stepsequencwr is only available within the standalone version? So no gadget action?

Edit: Yes I have gadget and bought iMono/Poly and iOdissey a few days ago.

• @WTK said:

If you have M/P then Polysix isn't necessary imo. They are quite similar.
    MS-20 is very different sound due to its unique filters.

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

@recccp said:

@WTK said:

That’s a statement. :) I am aware that the MS-20 Filters are pretty unique. Is there anything else why I should take a closer look into the iPolysix?

Dang, I have a Korg DSS-1 right next to me and the Filters and the DDLs of it are badass but right now the floppy is broken and I canˋt use it like I would and because of my family situation I am stuck to the iPad.

Any other opinions? Sale lasts till Friday...

• I just wish Korg would and a jack for PWM modulation in the patch-bay in iMS-20.
    Using then envelope to adjust pulse width could add some extra bite to the sounds.

Using iMS-20 in Gadget adds the neat option to route audio from other tracks in Gadget into Memphis/iMS-20 and use them as modulation sources or just use the iMS-20 as a filter and extra effect stage.

• @Samu said:
    I just wish Korg would and a jack for PWM modulation in the patch-bay in iMS-20.
    Using then envelope to adjust pulse width could add some extra bite to the sounds.

That sucks...

Using iMS-20 in Gadget adds the neat option to route audio from other tracks in Gadget into Memphis/iMS-20 and use them as modulation sources or just use the iMS-20 as a filter and extra effect stage.

That’s nice. :)

• So right now it is 1:0 for the iMS20...

• Polysix sounds different to monopoly to me, although it is much more limited I like its sound. It has different a different filter character and sounds less hard than the monopoly. The MS20 is good for acidy and unique overdriven sounds when you turn up the resonance on both filters.

• @WTK said:
    So right now it is 1:0 for the iMS20...

PWM can still be modulated in iMS-20 using MidiCC or when used in Gadget just like any other parameter.
    It's just the direct Envelope&LFO routing that is missing.

When using the iMS-20 app as stand-alone it does have a quite well featured step-sequencer (with knobs) and a few drum-parts.

Get the iMS-20 :D

• Another vote for iMS-20 here. It’s got a lot more sonic range than iPolysix IMO — you can dig into the patch panel for some truly unpredictable sounds. iP6 sounds nice but it sounds like what it sounds like. If I could only have one, I’d take the MS any day of the week.

• Another for ims-20. I wish the standalone has the audio in but I can work around it with gadget. It’s great to experiment with though and gets some awesome bass and acid sounds

• edited August 2019

If you’ve already got iMonopoly, the. iMS20 for sure ;)
    You can sequence the gadget version using the usual gadget sequencer

• @WTK said:

@recccp said:

@WTK said:

That’s a statement. :) I am aware that the MS-20 Filters are pretty unique. Is there anything else why I should take a closer look into the iPolysix?

Dang, I have a Korg DSS-1 right next to me and the Filters and the DDLs of it are badass but right now the floppy is broken and I canˋt use it like I would and because of my family situation I am stuck to the iPad.

Any other opinions? Sale lasts till Friday...

It is :)
    I meant if you own m/p ms-20 adds more to your palette then p6.
    P6 is a fairly simple synth, if sound design/happy accidents is what you're after, then ms-20 !! :smiley:
    (Admittedly, I'm a ms-20 junky... next to me is a ms-20m, which btw has pwm in /@Samu :)/ and fm, and sync, and...)

• edited August 2019

The MS-20 never really clicked with me (but it's a lovely video i must admit @Samu ) but i'm also a huge fan of old chicago and detroit stuff and the iPolysix is awesome for this.

I'm a lil biased though as the P6 was my first hardware synth and i wish i'd still have it.

I bought the iMono/Poly just yesterday and had no time to make a comparison myself but i'm sure the P6 would still hold up well.The structure is still different (i.e. sub osc) and it's also fun in standalone .Sometimes it's my starting point when i'm in the mood for strictly limit myself and work arround limitations.I should do things like this more often as it inspires and forces my creativity (more than clicking through a bazillion of great presets but nothing wrong woth that too...)

I'll get the iMs in christmas sale though but i already spent a lot (too much...) on other Korg apps/Gadgets during this sale.

• @recccp said:

(Admittedly, I'm a ms-20 junky... next to me is a ms-20m, which btw has pwm in /@Samu :)/ and fm, and sync, and...)

Yeah, it's possible to add an extra PWM jack to the hardware MS-20 (there's markings on the board where to patch it and on the mini even alternate filter models). When I was in 7th grade waaay back in time (-85) our music-teacher had a break-out cable with a jack on the MS-20 to modulate the pulse width. (That MS-20 was heavily modded LOL).

Korg added the software PWM jack to the MS-20 emulation in the Kronos so I would love to see that in iMS-20 as well :)

• iMS-20 first and iPolysix later, they’ll have another sale soon enough ;)
    Here’s a simple example I did with Memphis processing other gadgets:

• @Samu said:

@recccp said:

Yeah, it's possible to add an extra PWM jack to the hardware MS-20 (there's markings on the board where to patch it and on the mini even alternate filter models). When I was in 7th grade waaay back in time (-85) our music-teacher had a break-out cable with a jack on the MS-20 to modulate the pulse width. (That MS-20 was heavily modded LOL).

Korg added the software PWM jack to the MS-20 emulation in the Kronos so I would love to see that in iMS-20 as well :)

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary/K/KorgMS20MSQ1_03-S1hxXuzte8HwQ.rZiIv8Xj_o1xWyWvo_.jpg

This one has pwm in officially.
    I hope to see it in iMS-20 too :)

• I like iMS-20 and will continue to use it , even though I don't like the sequencer section. The steps values in the sequencer can only be set by knobs and there is no way to zoom on it.

iPolySix was one of the first synth apps that I bought for iPad but I never really got into it. I haven't heard any sounds from it that caught my attention like the iMonoPoly sounds.

• iMS-20, no doubt.

• iMS-20 is one of the best apps ever.

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

J> @R_2 said:

iMS-20 first and iPolysix later, they’ll have another sale soon enough ;)
    Here’s a simple example I did with Memphis processing other gadgets:

Uhh....that’s pretty Drexciya like...a „simple“ example ...lol...that was what I am looking for :) ... thx for posting...

I think the MS-20 gonna win right now...

Don’t get me wrong, the Polysix is on my list as well but I only could afford one synth right now and I guess the MS-20 would be the one I was looking for,..

Thanks for all your opinions and R—2 for this incredible fucking great sounding example. :). That One sold me.

Thx everybody :)

• edited August 2019

@recccp said:
    https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/2j/u58iosvu276t.jpeg

Now that one is a monster with oscillator sync too :)
    And yepp, would love those features in iMS-20 too...

• @Samu said:

@recccp said:
    https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/2j/u58iosvu276t.jpeg

Now that one is a monster with oscillator sync too :)
    And yepp, would love those features in iMS-20 too...

Have you seen this: https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-k2-korg-ms20-clone-desktop-synth-now-ready-to-ship

I can’t see a PWM in on that, unless it’s round the back somewhere.

• @WTK :) I saw you mention Drexciya and remembered this thread.
    Glad it helped you decide.

• @u0421793 said:

Have you seen this: https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-k2-korg-ms20-clone-desktop-synth-now-ready-to-ship

I can’t see a PWM in on that, unless it’s round the back somewhere.

Yeah, I think Behringer missed an opportunity there...

Maybe I'm blind but I can't see individual oscillator outputs on the MS-20m and no way to disable the key-tracking for the oscillators (I mean it would be nice to use one of the oscillators to trigger the S&H for some 'analog sample-rate reduction' on the other oscillators output post filter). Well it's a 'semi modular' so some shortcuts had to be made...

• WTKWTK
    edited August 2019

@R_2 said:
    @WTK :) I saw you mention Drexciya and remembered this thread.
    Glad it helped you decide.

Keep it coming ... :smiley:

Nice one.