Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Repair

I have a couple of vocal recordings that i just cant redo with the same felling / energy but sadly they have a couple of crackles and pops in them that i would like to fix. Is there any good way to do this on ios?

Comments

• also interested in de noising

• @ratti

Excellent question. I wish there were many excellent answers to it. However, compared to desktop programs there are a limited number of iOS solutions at the moment. Some that you might already be aware of. Klevgrand’s incredible and indispensable Brusfri comes to mind. Nothing else on iOS that comes close (it’s also available in a VST version). Fabfilter might have something that might help your particular situation. A surgical EQ strike with Pro-Q3 perhaps. Pro-G is an excellent noise gate, but I’m assuming that your noise is intertwined with the signal and can’t easily be edited out. A long shot suggestion might be FF Pro-DS, which might possibly be used for more than removing vocal hissing. Interesting article about that:
    https://theproaudiofiles.com/5-places-to-use-a-de-esser-besides-vocals/

But it seems the ideal solution would be spectral editing, ala Izotope RX-7. Nothing like that on iOS that I can find. It was the topic of a recent thread:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34259/spectral-editing-in-ios-does-it-exist-is-it-possible-is-there-a-need-for-it#latest

• edited August 2019

Nothing in iOS that I know of. Izotope RX is the state of the art solution. It has enabled things that would have been impossible just a few years ago.

But note that audio repair and restoration is an art. It often requires multiple techniques, and definitely benefits from years of experience. It is one of the main ways I earn a living in recent years. RX is quite expensive, and it would be a lot to try and learn just for one task.

I have RX 7 Advanced, and years of experience. If you want to send me the file, I will listen and give you my opinion (no charge). If I end up doing the job, my rates are reasonable.

• Well said @Lady_App_titude

RX can do voodoo automatically but the presets are no match for someone who knows the modules and best practices!

PS I’m very jealous you have the advanced 🙂

• Brusfri is great for removing general noise in the recording, but you need a section of just the noise so it can ‘learn’ it.
    The clicks and pops can be suppressed or removed by hand in an Audio editor, if need be.

DIY poor man solution for sure, but it works for me, and has since the mid 90’s.

• I'm still using the old Adobe Audition version 1.5 on Windows from time to time, and it works surprisingly well for both de-clicking, "de-plopping" and fingerprint-based noise reduction because its algorithms are adjustable to your material.
    It's going to be a lot of work though so you might consider LadyApp's friendly offer.
    I can tell you from experience that she's a very dedicated and hard worker :+1:

• @ratti said:
    I have a couple of vocal recordings that i just cant redo with the same felling / energy but sadly they have a couple of crackles and pops in them that i would like to fix. Is there any good way to do this on ios?

If there are really only a few, I have used Twisted Wave to edit out very short clicks and pops. If they are short (they usually are), you can identify the region where a click/crackle/pop happens and zoom in and surgically select and silence the region. In most cases, such regions are so short, the very short silence won't be noticed. If there are more than a few, it can be super tedious. And, there are cases where this isn't the right solution.

• I haven’t found anything on iOS that can do this, so I use Adobe Audition on the desktop (I have a CC sub due to the day job).