Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2019 App Graveyard

I somewhat dread upgrading to a new iPad (or a major iOS update) due to the likelihood of losing music apps - abandoned and lost to the nether. I’m just discovering a few that I hadn’t realized had bit the dust as I restore data on my new 2018 Pro .. If anyone knows of any other recent casualties, please mention em here.

some of these may be old news, but I was none the wiser — The 5 I just discovered:

Zillidrone (shame! .. interesting, unique groove box that can generate some otherworldly sounds)
Epic Synth
Jam Synth
SW-1 Synth
Flying Haggis

Oddly enough, Jam Synth gave me an “app no longer available” error when I initially tried to restore it, though just today I was able to download it. Wish the same were true of Zillidrone, the only one other than Haggis that I’m really going to miss.

Comments

• Yeah it’s a real shame about Flying Haggis, it was such a great amp sim. Obviously wasn’t profitable enough to keep alive.

• Last time I heard from the Epic Synth Dev was that he's would be moving on to Eurorack...

Even though Epic Synth is far from the synth it tries to mimic (Juno-6) it's still quite nice and has some bite especially when paired with some nice effects :) (Disable it's built-in chorus and add FAC Chorus and it's a bit closer).

• Zillidrone is and was the bomb. I always had fun with it. And now I must never delete it.

• The groovebox Skram was simple but quite good fun and I went to download it again about a month ago and it was no longer on the app store.

Luckily, I had originally downloaded it on my Mac and so there was a copy of it on my Mac backup.

So, sometimes you can still get that old app back even if it is no longer on the app store.

This is one reason why I download apps on the Mac and then move them over to the iPad and iPod touch. Also, you only have to download it once instead of twice, so less data plan usage.

A shame they didn't continue with Skram.

• @Simon said:
    The groovebox Skram was simple but quite good fun and I went to download it again about a month ago and it was no longer on the app store.

Luckily, I had originally downloaded it on my Mac and so there was a copy of it on my Mac backup.

So, sometimes you can still get that old app back even if it is no longer on the app store.

This is one reason why I download apps on the Mac and then move them over to the iPad and iPod touch. Also, you only have to download it once instead of twice, so less data plan usage.

A shame they didn't continue with Skram’

What a min, you can have app backups on Mac? (Through ITunes or other?) I had no idea — I gave up using iTunes after they stopped letting you directly back up individual apps from iPad to PC, but didn’t know you can still download them to desktop from App Store. Awesome to know, I need to start taking advantage of that. Stuck with Satellite internet, so it literally took over a week to restore everything.

I agree, Skram is such a fun (and great sounding) little jam box. fortunately I was able to download it a few days ago; so didn’t realize anything happened to it.

• edited August 2019

@Samu said:
    Last time I heard from the Epic Synth Dev was that he's would be moving on to Eurorack...

Even though Epic Synth is far from the synth it tries to mimic (Juno-6) it's still quite nice and has some bite especially when paired with some nice effects :) (Disable it's built-in chorus and add FAC Chorus and it's a bit closer).

I love the grimy sound, definitely a keeper. The limited number of preset slots was one of the only reasons I didn’t spend more time with it.. at least it has a preset backup system though. Definitely worth another visit on old iPad.

• @ZenEagle said:

What a min, you can have app backups on Mac? (Through ITunes or other?) I had no idea — I gave up using iTunes after they stopped letting you directly back up individual apps from iPad to PC, but didn’t know you can still download them to desktop from App Store.

Ah... I'm trying to remember the background story about this. I think you have to use a special version of iTunes for Mac. It is iTunes 12.6.4.3.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

This version allows you to download apps to your Mac and then sync them with your iOS devices.

• @richardyot said:
    Yeah it’s a real shame about Flying Haggis, it was such a great amp sim. Obviously wasn’t profitable enough to keep alive.

Yup great app!

• Yea, it’s sad when a favorite app “dies”. (Sings an off-key rendition of “The Circle of Life”)

Nonetheless, I wish there was a way/procedure for devs to transfer or sell the rights to apps they don’t/can’t wish to further develop. AFAIK, there’s no “open source” option like on desktop.

• edited August 2019

@ZenEagle said:
    Skram is such a fun (and great sounding) little jam box. fortunately I was able to download it a few days ago; so didn’t realize anything happened to it.

You downloaded it a few days ago?

I can't even find it in the app store anymore. The dev's web site is gone.

Maybe as you had downloaded it before it was still available to you as part of your "purchased apps list".

And a new user wanting to purchase it today would be unable to do that as the app is deleted from the app store.

• edited August 2019

@Simon said:

@ZenEagle said:
    Skram is such a fun (and great sounding) little jam box. fortunately I was able to download it a few days ago; so didn’t realize anything happened to it.

You downloaded it a few days ago?

I can't even find it in the app store anymore. The dev's web site is gone. Can't find any working links to it on Google... am I looking in the wrong places?

Yep, I did a system backup of my old iPad with iTunes, restored to new 2018 Pro and am still sluggishly downloading all the apps that I had installed on my old one. Been a pain, since my Internet is so slow that every 2 days, all the apps that are queued for download that haven’t finished yet end up resetting, forcing me to go to my purchased list and re-que them again...

Skram still shows up under my purchased apps section on the App Store (The face icon at upper right side of the updates screen) It’s not always reliable or predictable - I’ve had apps that I’ve purchased completely disappear from there; while occasionally some will reappear , even though they’re no longer on the main App Store.

Btw, Thanks for the link to older iTunes version. Thrilled that that feature is still available!

• @ZenEagle said:
    Btw, Thanks for the link to older iTunes version. Thrilled that that feature is still available!

No worries.

That version might not have all the features of the latest iTunes, but I'm happy to give those features up if it means I can download my apps onto my Mac.