Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sending MIDI to iPad from Ableton

I'm trying to switch up my workflow a bit but have encountered a minor hiccup. Would appreciate any advice.

I want to use my Keystep to control my iPad apps, but also to occasional sequence the iPad with Ableton. Connecting the Keystep to either the iPad or iMac is straight forward but having a bit of trouble sending MIDI to my iPad from Ableton. A couple of articles suggest connecting via WIFI or bluetooth, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know about the Audio MIDI setup utility on iMac's but I don't know how to utilize it properly. When I thought I had everything set up correctly the audio wasn't coming out of my ipad headphone jack. I think it was trying to send audio out of the usb port. That's not what I'm looking to do because I have some hardware effects.

Comments

• So the main problem seems to be sending audio out of the headphone jack rather the lightning port when connected to an iMac because I was able to figure out the MIDI.

• edited August 2019

Edit: Misread your post, hopefully someone with a keystep and iMac appears with some advice!

• This is where you adjust the audio output for each track:

• Sorry that doesn’t answer my question. My issue is that my iPad is sending audio to my iMac through the lighting port when plugged into my iMac to receive MIDI. I’d like the audio to go through the headphone jack to my outboard effects.

• @chockfullofthat said:
    Sorry that doesn’t answer my question. My issue is that my iPad is sending audio to my iMac through the lighting port when plugged into my iMac to receive MIDI. I’d like the audio to go through the headphone jack to my outboard effects.

That's how you do it in Ableton Live Windows or MacOS.
    The iPad's audio out can't be routed to the headphones out by means of iOS while an audio interface is connected. iOS would need something like the Audio/MIDI setup from MacOS.

• i think the following is still true: the LAST connected device gets used on iPads. thus: FIRST connect via lightning, THEN connected an ONLY TRS 3pin (NOT TRRS, 4pin)- cable to the headphone-out. this way it should be possible to RECEIVE midi/audio from lightning, while SENDING audio through the headphone port.
    i used to work with setups like this, but i am not sure, if this still works this way with modern iPads.
    try it out and let us know, will you? cheers and good luck, t

• edited August 2019

Edit: Sorry just saw that you figured out the Midi part. Will leave it here anyway just in case it helps someone else.

Here is how I do it with AUM
    1. Connect iPad and controller to your Mac via USB
    2. Open Audio Midi Set-up on your Mac.
    3. In Audio Midi Set-Up open the Audio Devices and Enable the iPad. The iPad should also be available as a midi source in the Midi window.
    4. Open Ableton Live and set your preferences similar to this.

1. Then set your midi track with these ins and outs

1. Plug headphones into your iPad to hear the iPad audio.
  • @animal said:
    i think the following is still true: the LAST connected device gets used on iPads. thus: FIRST connect via lightning, THEN connected an ONLY TRS 3pin (NOT TRRS, 4pin)- cable to the headphone-out. this way it should be possible to RECEIVE midi/audio from lightning, while SENDING audio through the headphone port.
    i used to work with setups like this, but i am not sure, if this still works this way with modern iPads.
    try it out and let us know, will you? cheers and good luck, t

Will try this tonight, cheers.

• edited August 2019

Update: This DID work. Awesome, thanks.

• @DYMS said: Here is how I do it with AUM
    1. Connect iPad and controller to your Mac via USB
    2. Open Audio Midi Set-up on your Mac.
    3. In Audio Midi Set-Up open the Audio Devices and Enable the iPad. The iPad should also be available as a midi source in the Midi window.
    4. Open Ableton Live and set your preferences similar to this.

Any idea whether this same set-up will work with alI external devices? I want to trigger my Blofeld with some of the probability packs in AL. Or, if this isn’t the way to do that, can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks!