Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best groovebox app on iOS?

1235»

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@RajahP said:
    .. Can’t wait for the AUv3... (read somewhere it was promised)

I don’t think you’re correct on that. I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.
    Pure Acid, by the same developer, is promised to become AU.

• @wim said:

@RajahP said:

Read it somewhere, I’m sure.. As a matter of fact.. it’s one of the things I am most looking forward to... and Jazz Drummer..

• @RajahP said:

@wim said:

@RajahP said:

Read it somewhere, I’m sure.. As a matter of fact.. it’s one of the things I am most looking forward to... and Jazz Drummer..

I’d love to see where you read it if you did. I’m thinkin’ maybe you confused it with Pure Acid.

• @wim said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@RajahP said:

I’d love to see where you read it if you did. I’m thinkin’ maybe you confused it with Pure Acid.

I’ll try to find the post later in the day..

• Would you say Aphelian is a groovebox? I’m thinking yes.

• Groovebox

• Pure Acid is definitely my favorite. I get lost in some of the others like Electribe Wave. And I can’t get into the workflow of BLEASS.

• @YourJunk said:
    Pure Acid is definitely my favorite. I get lost in some of the others like Electribe Wave. And I can’t get into the workflow of BLEASS.

Pure awesome

• About 6 months since I made this thread and my current groovebox workflow is AUM with Atom piano roll, StepPolyArp and Rozeta XOX driving Synthmaster One, Digistix and Ruismaker/FM/Noir

I downloaded Groovebox and paid to unlock the synth patch editing features. I do like Groovebox a lot of composing loops to take to BM3 (which is basically how I'm using my AUM workflow) but AUM still wins being able to host AUv3 effects

• @xraydash said:
    Would you say Aphelian is a groovebox? I’m thinking yes.

My favorite “Groovebox”

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I dismissed Groovebox unfairly at first, thought Gadget had all I needed.
    Unlocking all the synths had me eating my hat! They are really really good.

A bit late to ask this, but what exactly gives Groovebox that you can't get from Gadget?

Groovebox also seemed like a mini-Gadget to me, lacking any MIDI-out which makes it hard to use for me.

• @tja said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

A bit late to ask this, but what exactly gives Groovebox that you can't get from Gadget?

Groovebox also seemed like a mini-Gadget to me, lacking any MIDI-out which makes it hard to use for me.

I didn’t even knew this one existed. :)

• edited June 2023

Also, the answer to this thread is now DRAMBO by a mile.

• edited November 2023

@Slush said:

@tja said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

I didn’t even knew this one existed. :)

You can’t launch clips individually in gadget. You have to launch an entire scene. Yes you can mute and unmute individual tracks but it’s audio mute not midi mute.

In my opinion, same as many others have recommended, GR-16 is the best, most solid Groove box on iPad/iPhone. I highly trust it when I use it live. Can’t say the same about the others.

I absolutely love Drambo and it’s my go to for producing/mixing/mastering. You can see a few of my YouTube videos in Creations.
    But you are at the mercy of AUs if you use them in Drambo. Drambo itself is solid. If you don’t use any AUs and just do Drambo in the box then yes Drambo is a great option with lots more flexibility than GR-16.

• Another vote for Gadget. Probably my favorite. Has never crashed and simply works. Fun and useful IAP synths. Everything is easily reachable. Gadget can drive any other midi capable app and you can mix/process Gadget output in AUM with other AUv3 synths/effects.
    Only minor niggle is that manually drawing in automation can be a slight pain, since all parameters are exposed by default, so it requires a bit of hunting finding the right parameter in a list. Solve it it by hooking up something with knobs and automate like that, if you don't require exact precision :)

For live playing, I'd probably prepare prerendered pattern sets and play them with something like Loopy Pro or similar.

• @Darkstring said:
    Another vote for Gadget. Probably my favorite. Has never crashed and simply works. Fun and useful IAP synths. Everything is easily reachable. Gadget can drive any other midi capable app and you can mix/process Gadget output in AUM with other AUv3 synths/effects.
    Only minor niggle is that manually drawing in automation can be a slight pain, since all parameters are exposed by default, so it requires a bit of hunting finding the right parameter in a list. Solve it it by hooking up something with knobs and automate like that, if you don't require exact precision :)

For live playing, I'd probably prepare prerendered pattern sets and play them with something like Loopy Pro or similar.

You produce on Gadget and then bounce everything and play the stems/loops with something else. So you are not really using Gadget as a groovebox. The whole idea of a groove box is to play it live.

Gadget is not a groove box. But yes it is solid partly because it’s a walled garden. You are not at the mercy of AUs you’d use in other apps that host AUs. I think that’s the same reason Groove Rider 16 is solid. I use it quite a bit live and have never had any problems.

• @reezygle said:

You produce on Gadget and then bounce everything and play the stems/loops with something else. So you are not really using Gadget as a groovebox. The whole idea of a groove box is to play it live.

Gadget is not a groove box. But yes it is solid partly because it’s a walled garden. You are not at the mercy of AUs you’d use in other apps that host AUs. I think that’s the same reason Groove Rider 16 is solid. I use it quite a bit live and have never had any problems.

Well, I beg to differ about it being a groove box, though I'll concede GR-16 probably lends itself more to starting something from scratch on stage. Though, how many people truly step up like that without anything prepared?

• @Darkstring said:

@reezygle said:

Well, I beg to differ about it being a groove box, though I'll concede GR-16 probably lends itself more to starting something from scratch on stage. Though, how many people truly step up like that without anything prepared?

I think Gadget kinda transcends typical groovebox parameters as it’s basically its own entire ecosystem.

GR-16 is great for live stuff for sure. As far as how many people, who knows? I’m sure a decent amount. I can think of a handful of acts I’ve seen live and other musicians I know that just go on stage and improvise a set. Especially common in more experimental genres. Throbbing Gristle did that a lot back in their day.

• I’m gonna have to vote for BAM. I’ve been way more productive in it than any other groovebox app I’ve bought. The workflow is aces.

• @ahallam said:
    I’m gonna have to vote for BAM. I’ve been way more productive in it than any other groovebox app I’ve bought. The workflow is aces.

Agreed. It was GR-16 before this but BAM is just amazing all around. Drambo would be #1 but it kinda transcends groovebox territory now.