Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best groovebox app on iOS?

Comments

• @rs2000 Thanks friend, I just printed this. This is one area of GR-16 I have yet to uncover.

• @kinkujin said:
    @rs2000 Thanks friend, I just printed this. This is one area of GR-16 I have yet to uncover.

You're welcome!
    Another tipp for creating a step sequence with slices:
    On a sliced part (TRIGGER > hit the pad to select it), hit SEQ > EDIT, then SLICE.
    Now you can tap on the step to edit with your left finger and hit the pad you want there with your right finger.
    Being able to "scroll" through the slice sequence and change each step fast and easily is one of the many hidden gems in Groove Rider.

• @rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:
    "Groovebox" always means pattern-based workflow for me and my two favorites are GR-16 and Gadget, which is in some way a groovebox too.
    I once got me Electribe Wave just to have an app with a different workflow but for some reason I'm always going back to Groove Rider with my own wavetables, sliced loops and samples.

I am just using Grooverider since one week and slowly getting into it... But slicing loops..? None of the tutorials I've watched so far were covering that... Any tips?

Yes.
    Hit TRIGGER, tap on a part (pad) you want to put the sliced loop on.
    Hit Oscillator > WAVE, in the left LCD column scroll down to "User" and choose either a factory loop or "Load from AudioShare" on the bottom.
    Tap SLICE twice to see the whole breakbeat waveform.
    Hit the different pads and you'll see that each pad is set to play one of sixteen pre-set slices.
    If they're good, you're done already.
    If you want to move them, my personal fastest way is:

• Enable SHIFT lock by tap-dragging the SHIFT button downwards or upwards (will flash yellow)
    • hit each pad, roughly change "SLICE START" (and END if you like)
    • On the waveform display, tap and drag your finger down to the max (max. zoom level)
    • Hit each pad again and fine-tune if necessary. The display will automatically move to the point you're adjusting.

Oooh thank you so much for the fast answer 🙏 Will check it out when I come back home...

• @uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:
    "Groovebox" always means pattern-based workflow for me and my two favorites are GR-16 and Gadget, which is in some way a groovebox too.
    I once got me Electribe Wave just to have an app with a different workflow but for some reason I'm always going back to Groove Rider with my own wavetables, sliced loops and samples.

I am just using Grooverider since one week and slowly getting into it... But slicing loops..? None of the tutorials I've watched so far were covering that... Any tips?

Yes.
    Hit Oscillator > WAVE, in the left LCD column scroll down to "User" and choose either a factory loop or "Load from AudioShare" on the bottom.
    Hit the different pads and you'll see that each pad is set to play one of sixteen pre-set slices.

• Enable SHIFT lock by tap-dragging the SHIFT button downwards or upwards (will flash yellow)
    • On the waveform display, tap and drag your finger down to the max (max. zoom level)
    • Hit each pad again and fine-tune if necessary. The display will automatically move to the point you're adjusting.

Oooh thank you so much for the fast answer 🙏 Will check it out when I come back home...

🤗

• @rs2000
    Ok, whoa.
    your two slice tips just flipped my lid
    Many thanks

• @rs2000: great tips. I’ve added them to the wiki. Please add any more!

https://wiki.audiob.us/groove_rider_gr-16#tips_tricks

• @rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes.

🤗

Bloody amazing tips! :) Okay, so I tried to find a tutorial on how to create my own wavetables in GR-16 but only found one on how to import Serum wavetables. Can you explain how to create my own wavetables mate? :)

• Somewhere @dendy has a tutorial about how he uses GR and NS2 together. I can't look for it right now but I thought I'd through it in the mix.

• edited November 2019

@anickt said:
    Somewhere @dendy has a tutorial about how he uses GR and NS2 together. I can't look for it right now but I thought I'd through it in the mix.

You can run it in the background and simply send MIDI to GR16.
    Parts 1..16 receive on MIDI channels 1..16 and each part receives MIDI CC on its own channel so you can effectively play and automate up to 16 synth/wavetable/slice parts.
    For a list of MIDI CC mappings on each part, see the Groove Rider manual.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes.

🤗

Bloody amazing tips! :) Okay, so I tried to find a tutorial on how to create my own wavetables in GR-16 but only found one on how to import Serum wavetables. Can you explain how to create my own wavetables mate? :)

Look up tutorials on creating serum wavetables that is the format that GR-16 supports. I don’t know of any iOS apps for creating them.

• edited November 2019

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes.

🤗

You need a synth that can edit and write Serum format wavetables. There's a number of free wavetable editors available but none that I've tried can save in Serum-compatible format.
    Just using a wave editor won't really help because a wavetable needs properly cut (2048 samples long) frames that loop without clicks, plus adjacent wave frames that should be placed in a sensible sequence in order to make them useful for synthesis.
    You'll want to modulate them to make them come alive, right?
    I highly recommend to try the freely available ones first, you can go a long way with them.
    Also remember that because wavetables are periodic waveforms, it's hard to reproduce transients and attacks from natural instruments. Wolfgang Palm (PPG) had invented a workaround called "TCS" which is basically a wavetable scanned very fast to reproduce transients better but instead of doing this you better import samples and use these for synthesis in Groove Rider.

• @rs2000 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes.

🤗

You need a synth that can edit and write Serum format wavetables. There's a number of free wavetable editors available but none that I've tried can save in Serum-compatible format.
    Just using a wave editor won't really help because a wavetable needs properly cut (2048 samples long) frames that loop without clicks, plus adjacent wave frames that should be placed in a sensible sequence in order to make them useful for synthesis.
    You'll want to modulate them to make them come alive, right?
    I highly recommend to try the freely available ones first, you can go a long way with them.
    Also remember that because wavetables are periodic waveforms, it's hard to reproduce transients and attacks from natural instruments. Wolfgang Palm (PPG) had invented a workaround called "TCS" which is basically a wavetable scanned very fast to reproduce transients better but instead of doing this you better import samples and use these for synthesis in Groove Rider.

Now I see. Thanks for the advice. I guess hunting down free wavetables is the way to go. :) Cheers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

@uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes.

🤗

Look up tutorials on creating serum wavetables that is the format that GR-16 supports. I don’t know of any iOS apps for creating them.

I'll see what I can find out there. :) Thanks mate.

• Groovebox, if it had pattern save and some dry sounds

• Does Pure Acid counts in this category too?

• @tja said:
    Does Pure Acid counts in this category too?

I'd say it does. It's an acid groovebox rather than an overall one.

• @espiegel123 @rs2000 Okay, I have a question that may have been answered before about GR-16 regarding muting/unmuting parts in song mode. Basically, when I want to mute a part in song mode, it doesn't want to stay muted, and vice versa. Is there a way to mute a part and keep it muted in song mode?

• @Franketti said:
    Groovebox, if it had pattern save and some dry sounds

It just had an update a few days ago, adding ableton midi export.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @espiegel123 @rs2000 Okay, I have a question that may have been answered before about GR-16 regarding muting/unmuting parts in song mode. Basically, when I want to mute a part in song mode, it doesn't want to stay muted, and vice versa. Is there a way to mute a part and keep it muted in song mode?

I haven't used the song mode. If you mute via the mixer page's mute, does it stay muted?

• edited November 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @espiegel123 @rs2000 Okay, I have a question that may have been answered before about GR-16 regarding muting/unmuting parts in song mode. Basically, when I want to mute a part in song mode, it doesn't want to stay muted, and vice versa. Is there a way to mute a part and keep it muted in song mode?

I haven't used the song mode. If you mute via the mixer page's mute, does it stay muted?

I don't use song mode either, but it looks like it's meant to make sure that a saved pattern always plays the way it has been saved.

You can however switch the 4th transport button from "Tap Tempo" to "Loop" and "hold" the current pattern playing in song mode as long as you like, with all your mutes remaining untouched until you disable loop mode (or just switch to a different song pattern while playing) and the song position advances to the next pattern with different mutes.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Did you try the ‘edit’ button?

• GR-16, oh heck yeh. Clearly the best IMO.

But then I'm also not into the more "automatic" groove boxes like GrooveBox, Figure, etc.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Wasn't the solution to load a silent wave file into the pad? I think someone posted a silent wave file for this purpose.

• @yowza said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Wasn't the solution to load a silent wave file into the pad? I think someone posted a silent wave file for this purpose.

That was me, but the purpose was for not needing to mute tracks when using only for sending midi out.

@jwmmakerofmusic - In song mode, each line of the progression represents one state of Mutes/Unmutes. When the song progresses to the next line, whatever is muted and unmuted in that step will play that way. So, you can't play through a song in song mode muting and unmuting patterns. Stay in pattern mode to work that way.

Sorry ... probably didn't explain that very well. Coffee isn't working right today. :|

• One super-nice way to work with GR-16 is to record a midi-out performance into Xequence2, then do song arranging there. I'll typically build up my grooves in GR-16, then play them all one time through into X2 with a template I have set up for that purpose. All 16 tracks can record into X2 in one shot (including automation!), then you have them all there to slice up patterns, duplicate, etc.. It's a great way to leverage GR-16 for what it does best, but then use something else better suited to arrangements.

I have a X2 project set up as a template for this. It has the 16 tracks assigned to output to GR-16 after recording. I'll post it to pathstorage.com in a bit.

• @RajahP said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I'll be dipped! 😱 How did I not figure that out? The solution was so simple, lol.

• Thanks Wim looking forward to it.👍🏼

@wim said:
    One super-nice way to work with GR-16 is to record a midi-out performance into Xequence2, then do song arranging there. I'll typically build up my grooves in GR-16, then play them all one time through into X2 with a template I have set up for that purpose. All 16 tracks can record into X2 in one shot (including automation!), then you have them all there to slice up patterns, duplicate, etc.. It's a great way to leverage GR-16 for what it does best, but then use something else better suited to arrangements.

I have a X2 project set up as a template for this. It has the 16 tracks assigned to output to GR-16 after recording. I'll post it to pathstorage.com in a bit.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim looking forward to it.👍🏼

@wim said:
    One super-nice way to work with GR-16 is to record a midi-out performance into Xequence2, then do song arranging there. I'll typically build up my grooves in GR-16, then play them all one time through into X2 with a template I have set up for that purpose. All 16 tracks can record into X2 in one shot (including automation!), then you have them all there to slice up patterns, duplicate, etc.. It's a great way to leverage GR-16 for what it does best, but then use something else better suited to arrangements.

OK, so I uploaded the Xequence 2 project to patchstorage.com: https://patchstorage.com/xequence-2-grooverider-gr-16-patch/. There are some brief instructions in the patch description. Sorry, you need to unzip the file as patchstorage won’t let me upload a .xeqproj file.

I added a tip into the GrooveRider Wiki page referencing the project as well.

Sorry, this really could benefit from a video to get the idea across. I just don’t feel like taking the effort to do that though.

That’s probably enough of a thread hijack for now. Please feel free to PM me, start another thread, or tack onto the GR-16 mega thread if anything is unclear. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28714/grooverider-gr-16-tips-and-tricks-megathread#latest

• .> @wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim looking forward to it.👍🏼

@wim said:

OK, so I uploaded the Xequence 2 project to patchstorage.com: https://patchstorage.com/xequence-2-grooverider-gr-16-patch/. There are some brief instructions in the patch description. Sorry, you need to unzip the file as patchstorage won’t let me upload a .xeqproj file.

I added a tip into the GrooveRider Wiki page referencing the project as well.

Sorry, this really could benefit from a video to get the idea across. I just don’t feel like taking the effort to do that though.

That’s probably enough of a thread hijack for now. Please feel free to PM me, start another thread, or tack onto the GR-16 mega thread if anything is unclear. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28714/grooverider-gr-16-tips-and-tricks-megathread#latest

Thank you!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RajahP said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I'll be dipped! 😱 How did I not figure that out? The solution was so simple, lol.

I’m still discovering features in this gem.. Can’t wait for the AUv3... (read somewhere it was promised)