Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best groovebox app on iOS?

Comments

• @rms13 said:

Is that Groove Rider?

Yes, Groove Rider is the only one I mentioned. My only other groovebox experience is Novation Circuit. Even though I find GrooveRider hard to use because of the crippling lack of time signature support, it is really fantastic. I’ve tried letting the developer know, but the sad truth is most people only play in 4/4 and think 3/4 is exotic especially the groove-box crowd. Also, the unquantized mode is actually very low resolution to the point where it might as well be quantized, but that isn’t a big deal to me. Given how great it is and that iPad mini 2 will have zero problems maxing everything out, I think it is a solid choice.

• Doug takes a test drive of the sampler section of Elastic Drums:

• If into techno ...Groove rider

• Groove Rider GR-16

• Only one option

GR-16

• Grooverider, but it crashes a lot for me in Audiobus (beta) , ios12.4

• IDM --> Elastic Drums
    Crazy stuff happens very quickly
    So powerful

• I would say Groove Rider or Korg Electribe Wave , I love Gadget but personally I consider it a Daw not a Groovebox and I prefer using the Electribe Wave Gadget vs sequencing it as a stand alone. I think Groovebox is good but I really wish we could save presets after tweaking the synths, I only bought the Poly 8 after I realized I could save any presets. I’ve only just bought Electribe Wave recently, and what I would really love to know, is what does a Korg have against undo buttons????? Lol , Even in Gadget the undo button kinda disappears.

• @Strizbiz said:
    I would say Groove Rider or Korg Electribe Wave , I love Gadget but personally I consider it a Daw not a Groovebox and I prefer using the Electribe Wave Gadget vs sequencing it as a stand alone. I think Groovebox is good but I really wish we could save presets after tweaking the synths, I only bought the Poly 8 after I realized I could save any presets. I’ve only just bought Electribe Wave recently, and what I would really love to know, is what does a Korg have against undo buttons????? Lol , Even in Gadget the undo button kinda disappears.

@AmpifyxNovation Just announced this morning that they are planning to release user presets this Friday !

• This thread got me to bust out Groovebox and mess with it again. GR-16 is still my favorite but I was extremely productive in Groovebox and have really been missing out with this one, good stuff.

• edited August 2019

@Strizbiz said:
    I would say Groove Rider or Korg Electribe Wave , I love Gadget but personally I consider it a Daw not a Groovebox and I prefer using the Electribe Wave Gadget vs sequencing it as a stand alone. I think Groovebox is good but I really wish we could save presets after tweaking the synths, I only bought the Poly 8 after I realized I could save any presets. I’ve only just bought Electribe Wave recently, and what I would really love to know, is what does a Korg have against undo buttons????? Lol , Even in Gadget the undo button kinda disappears.

I tend to view the iOS version of Gadget as more of a groovebox, much closer to Ampify Groovebox than an actual DAW. all in one music construction kit, walled garden approach, no daw-like audio tracks. Many even consider Maschine to be a groovebox, so by that standard, even Nano Studio 2 would apply.

• edited August 2019

Gadget, groovebox, kew, caustic, auxy...
    Would like to say reason compact but....8 bar limit, one instance of each instrument makes it almost useless as a groovebox, someday ?

• On the subject of Groovebox's, I would love to see Roland port a modern version of the the MC series to iOS. Seems like the perfect platform for them to do it on. Although, it also seems that for the most part they have little interest in iOS. Shame really since they really coined the term and all.

• Roland seem to carefully listen to user requests and then do the exact opposite!!

• Gadget for these reasons...it feels very very groovebox! Easy to export stems and midis to other systems.
    Just shipped 37 gadget patterns to Logic Pro yesterday.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Strizbiz said:

@AmpifyxNovation Just announced this morning that they are planning to release user presets this Friday !

Whaattt??!!!! Ok, time to dust it of and unlock the other instruments now, thanks for the heads up. Not that the presets they have for sale aren’t good and affordable, but I love making my own and the poly 8 sounds so good and it’s layout is nice, reminds me of an old Roland Juno

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Roland seem to carefully listen to user requests and then do the exact opposite!!

omg preach!!

• Thanks everyone. I downloaded Groove Rider and Groovebox based on feedback here. I briefly played with Groovebox and it seems cool and promising. It still has a Garageband feel to me where you are just combining pre made loops and they app matches tempo and key and makes it all sound good. I know you can edit loops or build them from scratch too but I didn't play with it that long because Groove Rider is exactly what I was looking for. So far Groove Rider does everything my Circuit and Digitakt could do and it actually seems deeper then either of those hardware boxes. Poison also happens to be my go to synth over several more expensive ones I have like Moog ones and Nave so I am definitely a fan of Jim Audio. Loving this app so far

• edited August 2019

@rms13 said:
    because Groove Rider is exactly what I was looking for. So far Groove Rider does everything my Circuit and Digitakt could do and it actually seems deeper then either of those hardware boxes. Poison also happens to be my go to synth over several more expensive ones I have like Moog ones and Nave so I am definitely a fan of Jim Audio. Loving this app so far

Your question was easy. GR-16 is a genius app from a genius dev!!

• Two pages in, and no one has yet mentioned the correct answer: Werkbench. The others are boring and corporate. Werkbench is fun and individual.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Werkbench is fun

On first glance, WOW that’s way more pink & purple & blurry faux wood than I would normally tolerate. Yet your enthusiasm intrigues me. I passed on Werkbench early days, but reading the bio now, it sounds like fun. What is your werkflow with it?

• @Tarekith said:
    Groovebox

Tarekith said it, I believe it, and that settles it!

So I grabbed it free at lunch today and within 30 minutes I had a full track outlined! And I seriously like the music, me being edm head. I spent the rest of lunch jamming on it, pleasantly motivated. Really good sounds, but what shines for me is the randomize button that makes quick work of building song backing parts. What is going on under this randomize button, It kicks out such complex parts?! Groovebox isn’t a performance tool though, I will just have to record stems out, tweaking each part on screen as I export real-time, cus no automation, or is that in pro?
    I might even have 15 for the pro bundle. Thanks for the suggestion!

• @rms13: Congrats! The wavetable synth and sample slicer give me lots of fun again and again. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smiley:

• @audiorangutan said:

@Tarekith said:
    Groovebox

So I grabbed it free at lunch today and within 30 minutes I had a full track outlined! And I seriously like the music, me being edm head. I spent the rest of lunch jamming on it, pleasantly motivated. Really good sounds, but what shines for me is the randomize button that makes quick work of building song backing parts. What is going on under this randomize button, It kicks out such complex parts?! Groovebox isn’t a performance tool though, I will just have to record stems out, tweaking each part on screen as I export real-time, cus no automation, or is that in pro?

The randomizer is just selecting a pre-sequenced pattern at random - sadly it is not generating them. As I understand it, the purchasable preset packs usually include a further set of patterns

And no, no automation yet, not even in “Pro”.

• edited August 2019

Caustic is still my favourite..

• Has a sampler (with multisample mode + loads .sf2 soundfonts)
    • Pattern mode, song mode
    • Pattern automation, Song automation
    • Lots of instruments, incl Modular synth, Vocoder, Sampler, Drum Maschine (with velocity pads) etc.
    • track fx: 2 send fx + 2 insert fx
    • master fx: 2 insert fx + eq + limiter
    • FTP server built in.. import files quick and easy
    • easy project sharing: 1 file
    • Has a desktop version for free!
    • etc.
  • @zeropoint said:

@audiorangutan said:

@Tarekith said:
    Groovebox

The randomizer is just selecting a pre-sequenced pattern at random - sadly it is not generating them. As I understand it, the purchasable preset packs usually include a further set of patterns

And no, no automation yet, not even in “Pro”.

The pattern selection is from the patterns you have available within the packs you own, but there is logic behind it...the pattern you get is still applicable to the type of sound (pad or a pluck for example) of the preset you chose.

• If you’re enjoying the very limited free version I would highly recommend unlocking those instruments @audiorangutan

Preset saving has been announced and I would be very surprised if automation doesn’t appear. It’s been the most requested feature along with saving presets.

• I don't have GR16 yet (high on my list) but love KEW.BUT for me Gadget is best Groovebox.I know,many says"DAW" but for me it's a groovebox on steroids with a little more comprehensive song mode ;)

• Gadget for me too. When KEW was released I tried doing full ‘tracks’ with it, but quickly realized I missed a few things from Gadget (mainly sequencer and song mode related). The only thing I really liked was the wavetable synth. Glad I can now use that with Warszawa.

• iDS-10 is another gem. The bingo cost me a lot of time but was a nice touch!

Hoping that voice synth with Kaoss pad arpeggiator shows up inside gadget one day.