Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need advise on best Singer Songwriter Guitarist set up with ios environment

First off i like to say hello to the wonderful community here, i have been a in house engineer for a while and seen plugs and apps on ipads put out by familiar companies i trust is impressive.

I got an iPad pro, 2nd Gen (do to comments i read)

The work flow im after with a ipad is more less a simple singer songwriter guitarists's set up., actually a metal guitarists type rig.,

So far i picked "Audio Evolution" as a sequencer, it seems to be more close to pro tools, its already crashed 7 times on me while loading effects on a bus like Vocalive….just ike the real deal lol!

I spent a few hundred dollars already on all kinds of apps, i can add the list but i rather add my main favs and ask you guys what apps you all think i need for the work flow im into.

Is there anything better then "Audio Evolution”?, i need aux-bus, basic audio editings which it seems to Have, Cubasis 2 does not have a bus option, NanoStudio 2 is only midi, Auria seemed to be the one for me but did not justify the price lacking a few things, Garageband is horrible when it comes to looping a section for a singer as your forced to choose by section and not see anything before and after (most singers like breathing in and out of sections)..

I purchased all these toys like the all the korg ios apps, the moogs and many more synths this cool guy Jacob aka Haq Attaq went on and on about on youtube (hope he got paid some money for the work)

I have concluded that the best verb is the blackhole but also have EOS2,

I have also concluded that the best delay-echo is the modley but i wont be using it for now, i got the RE-1 Tape machine and the Dubstation2.

For Vocal effects i like Vocalive to play around with as well on my iPhone ( but it causes the sequencer i am using to crash allot) and now i prefer the Eventide micropitch, and ultra tap on the buses..

As for metal tone amps im out of luck, Amplitube is dodgy, Bias FX looks nice but i have yet to see or hear anyone into metal compare it to or claim its as good as the missionary stuff on PCs.

And i also have not found anything close to Lexicon verbs in ios yes...sadly.

Any advise on helping put my wok flow together is appreciated, i have audiobus but some guy on youtube just told me i should get AUM instead and use an app called jam up pro, he says he uses this to play gigs with his guitar with a pedal board and io., would like to know how o set all this stuff up now to be as portable as possible as well as flexible to use ios etc.

Thanks for reading all this

Comments

• AUM is fun and easy, glues everything together. Everyone should have it.

• Jamup Pro is the “old version” of BIAS FX. I haven’t really gotten into BIAS FX for metal stuff but I am very pleased with it.

• edited August 2019

Minus the “metal” part of what you’re after, I think our workflow goals sound like they align. I won’t be all extreme and say “this is what you must do”, but I will share my own personal experience and you can do with that as you please. When I started this iOS journey, Audiobus was just a rumor. Once Audiobus came along, though, the game changed considerably and I did everything you seem to be doing. I bought every app I could find and tinkered searching for that perfect setup. This forum is great, no doubt, but...collectively the people here owe me about 2 grand because of all of the “purchase advice” I followed that ended up being a dead end (kidding...kinda). So skip ahead a few years and along comes Auria. Suddenly I started to have something resembling what I was actually used to from my earlier of days. As sexy as she was on the release day, I’ll honestly say the UI just flat out hasn’t aged very well. And that’s where my criticisms end for Auria. I’ll skip all of the long winded story about my waffling back and forth from Auria to Cubasis (even to GarageBand and tried to put the square peg that is gadget into a round hole that was my desired workflow)...in the end, Auria supplanted them all for my needs, and it still does to this day. Don’t get me wrong, I still absolutely adore AUM, and I still have horrible impulse control when I see a shiny new app, but...my workflow - when I’m being serious about making a vision I get inspired by become a tangible reality..I do not duck around with anything but Auria. The app is incredibly deep and sometimes overly complicated, but I’m very happy I invested the time to overcome those hurdles. I’d consider myself a pro user at this point,though I’m sure there’s still lots for me to learn from lots of people out there. As far as guitar amp modelers go, I use Bias FX (because of the tone match feature...I can’t find anything remotely close to a Slodano on anything else), but I also even like TomeBridge (and the distance between those two modelers is about as vast as it gets). The modeler available inside Auria is decent, but I wouldn’t spend any money on it when you can get as good or better on iOS for a fraction of that cost. And then comes Fabfilter. There is no reverb anywhere close to Pro R anywhere in iOS, at least to my ear (prior to its release, I personally favored AltiSpace verb despite its huge overhead on the cpu). There is not a compressor anywhere on iOS that comes even remotely close to the ease of use v shear power of Pro C. Once you use Pro Q, you will not have much patience for other iOS EQs. Pro L is straight up magic on your masters after you’ve recorded your framework (it can muddy things if you incorporate it too soon, so save it for after you get your skeleton in place...my two cents ymmv. Coupled with my 8 channel audio interface (with Midas preamps), I’ve finally realized my personal dream of being able to record with a certain amount of precision I’ve never had before, the exact recreation of the dying cat screech music I hear in my head. That’s my take. Auria ftw. Stop buying apps and shore up your Fabfilter plugs inside of Auria. Get a decent interface, and you too can capture music at least as good as the awful audio train wrecks I create.

Oh, and FabFilter’s Saturn inside Auria makes a surprisingly good modeler itself fwiw.

• edited August 2019

I can tell you guys now that if you buy the Eventide Ultratap you will not need microPitch, its all there...you would think they are different but they actually are not when it comes to results.

BTW "Audio Evolution" only has two aux-bus sends

• @boone51 said:

Auria. The app is incredibly

Oh, and FabFilter’s Saturn inside Auria makes a surprisingly good modeler itself fwiw.

FabFilter comes with Auria?
    Hope its ok to ask you about Auria?, becaue there are several versions and i rather hear it from the horses mouth since you ue it.,

1- How many aux-sends does Auria Have? this "Audio Evolution" only has two, i like a verb on 1, pitch-stereo image on 2 and sycned tap delay on 3, if i add more its only to auto pan as an effect.(vocals or guitars etc)

2-i read somewhere that the midi is not so great but i also noticed two versions.

3-You sure that there is nothing better hen Auria out there?

The whole metal guitar tone thing has been the hardest for companies to simulate, especially the Marshall JCM 800 2203 with EL34s and Celestian vintage 30s., IK Multimedia has def tried and failed with tons of latency issues, everon using IK stuff sounds like they are strumming a guitar with newspapers un like "Ignite Emissary" on a PC..

• edited August 2019

No, I don’t mind you asking whatever you want about my comments. First and foremost, understand that what I’ve said (and what anyone else would say) is just opinion when it comes to preference or what someone feels most organic in. I’m sure fifty people could argue against what I said point by point and half of them might be correct....from their point of view at any given time. Ok, so first, about the AUX question, that will depend on which version you buy. Go to this site and scroll down to the chart showing the difference between pro and standard Auria. Like most things, it all depends on what your own personal requirements are from a daw. I didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger when the pro version was released, but that was based on my needs. And as far as midi goes, I’ve seen better implementations, and I’ve seen worse. I don’t really do a ton of midi stuff so that isn’t really a huge deal to me. What is there is functional and serves my needs. And no, there are no FabFilter plugins available in either standard or pro versions of Auria for free. And they’re pricey compared to other apps in general, but just do a quick search on YouTube for Fabfilter plugins and you’ll find all the examples you need to make your own decision.

And I do think I’ve read a few people talking about how good the “metal” tones are when using Saturn as a modeler in Auria, but I can’t speak to it personally. It’s not what I typically try to emulate.

Here’s the link;
    http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

• AUM workflow is excellent and integrates nicely with Cubasis

Vocalive - not a great choice
    For reverb - PRO R
    Delay - Aufx Dub , timeless (Auria only), Kosmonaut
    not found a analog sounding simple delay yet .. I use Cubasis inbuilt delay a lot
    For metal tones with HX stomp you can directly record to IPAD (an expensive but assured option)
    Saturn also excellent option (but not plug and play )
    Amplitube - avoid
    Also for metal tones
    ProG and Brushfri are a must

• If you're looking an audio based DAW I really don't think Auria Pro can be beaten on iOS. It has 6 AUX channels, 8 built-in SubGroups and as many busses as you want. The audio editing is also excellent, and it also offers some great plugins via IAP (although the some of the FabFilter ones can now also be bought as AUv3 versions so that is probably a better idea at this point in time).

Auria is just a workhorse, especially for audio. There is a learning curve, but that's because the app is deep.

For guitar tones, particularly distortion, I think actually the most effective solution is to combine pedals with iOS amp sims. I use an inexpensive JOYO American Sound, a TubeDriver + a TC Helicon HyperGravity Compressor and a Hall Of Fame 2 and with that combo I get much better tones (into an audio interface) than what is available via the iOS amp sims.

BIAS Amp is OK though, especially if you buy the IAP IR-based cabs.

For reverbs my 3 favourites are FF Pro-R, Tonebooster TB REverb and Virsyn AudioReverb. These 3 are all really good IMO, and the Eventide BlackHole is also great for special effects when you need huge spaces.

• @boone51 said:
    No, I don’t mind you asking whatever you want about my comments. First and foremost, understand that what I’ve said (and what anyone else would say)
    And I do think I’ve read a few people talking about how good the “metal” tones are when using Saturn as a modeler in Auria, but I can’t speak to it personally. It’s not what I typically try to emulate.

Here’s the link;
    http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

No one can disagree with you, there are very few Pre and Post production standards in a professional studio environments, how ever with Apple there are more limitations, they dont want you to know that we reached the point where our iPhones are computers, if Apple did not limit us from been able to connect our iPhones and iPads we would be replacing our computers with iPhones, a hub to all the hardware we need but they want it all!, so here we are, IOS 13 in just a few weeks, next year the iPad will have a proper OS shared with desktops as well.....too little too late too expensive..

• edited August 2019

@GavrielProductions said:
    I can tell you guys now that if you buy the Eventide Ultratap you will not need microPitch, its all there...you would think they are different but they actually are not when it comes to results.

They are different, both can do stuff that the other cannot. UltraTap can do more things for sure but that’s reflected in the pricing!

• @hisdudeness said:
    AUM workflow is excellent and integrates nicely with Cubasis

Vocalive - not a great choice
    For reverb - PRO R
    Delay - Aufx Dub , timeless (Auria only), Kosmonaut
    not found a analog sounding simple delay yet .. I use Cubasis inbuilt delay a lot
    For metal tones with HX stomp you can directly record to IPAD (an expensive but assured option)
    Saturn also excellent option (but not plug and play )
    Amplitube - avoid
    Also for metal tones
    ProG and Brushfri are a must

I cant stand Amplitube or line6 to be honest,
    Fabfilter is great, the eqs especially.

ill check out the rest, so far this has been my experince:

Verbs: i love the blackhole and EO2 so far...
    Im asking Apple for a refund for the vocallive, its ok for a newbie singer with no clue about effects (they should be warned to use them on a bus channel anyway) , im very happy with the Eventide triplets, that guy Jacob with the youtube channel haq attaq is a lie saver, i got both the EOS2 and the Blackhole verb after watching him show it off,

When i use template in Logic Pro it always contains the same of more less the same pres-comps and EQs after i normally capture the audio into PT hardware with high end mic pres and ios like the Danek, Focusrie nieve Avalon etc,

I also add tons of plugs in a certain order on the buss's of my DAW which is Logic or some times Pro tools for intense vocal edits.

Although the plugs are generally on standby incase i need them the signal chain will look like this:
    1-Verbs
    2-Delays
    3-Echo dub style
    4-Pitch and wild fx stuff
    5- Stereo effects like ping pong phase etc

They are just there in the event i need them, i shared these templates with friends who have pumped out tons of records, sound effects for films, tv shows and the only addon i can think of that is a must is---> MELODYN, we use it to tune everything, whole sections of vocals, even drums, you can use melodyne to mimic any drum out there, i think BFD and other companies cheat with this as well!

Details of the bus channels in he ios so far:
    On Bus 1 is a Compressor, ---> a Verb then a EQ, Chorus, Flange, phaser and even pitch shifting.
    I see myself using EOS2 or BlackHole allot on the io platform.

On Bus 2 is a Compressor, ---> a Stereo Delay synced to tempo with 1/4 and feedback turned up , then the same fallows, EQ, Chorus, Flange and phaser., i see myself using a dub delay here.

On Bus 3 it all the same but ---> dub Echo channel, this is where the stereo delay, ping ping and pitch effects take place
    I see Eventide and some maybe even the stuff like TURNADO here (have not tried it yet)

On Bus 4 is also all the same but with an addition of EnVerb, Gate, ( have no idea what to use yet to re create the logic enverb.
    I see the eventide plugs filling in here again...UltraTap has some of this.

im gonna check out the Aufx Dub as well soon,

Anyone know of a ios app that is as good as melodyn do share the info, its a key secret to producing things un imaginable, singers and musicians with no skills or parts of other music can be captured and manipulated in such natural ways you cant even tell it from the original! but it $600 plus and not available for ios so far, i guess i can use my ipad pro as a second screen with the DUET app to manipulate melodyne with my fingers.

• @mjcouche said:
    Jamup Pro is the “old version” of BIAS FX. I haven’t really gotten into BIAS FX for metal stuff but I am very pleased with it.

btw they are still selling jamup and i see video comparisons

• @GavrielProductions said:

@mjcouche said:
    Jamup Pro is the “old version” of BIAS FX. I haven’t really gotten into BIAS FX for metal stuff but I am very pleased with it.

Oh yea, I’ve got both 😉

• @mjcouche said:

@mjcouche said:

Oh yea, I’ve got both 😉

Im under the impression that they are the same thing, i like how they sell a Metal bundle, seems to be the right way to do it.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

They are different, both can do stuff that the other cannot. UltraTap can do more things for sure but that’s reflected in the pricing!

i ave both (returning micropitch) and im returning it because i can do the same things with he eventide ultratap, i dont recommend micropitch to people recording real vocals and guitars, there is better stuff out there in that category, but this is me, im not sure if its a gem for people into purely synths and drum machines.

• edited August 2019

I use UltraTap more on synths and MicroPitch mainly on vocals but whatever fits your workflow is the right choice @GavrielProductions

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I use UltraTap more on synths and MicroPitch mainly on vocals but whatever fits your workflow is the right choice @GavrielProductions

true, depending on the singers voice and genre UltraTap is excellent for vocals

• edited August 2019

@richardyot said:
    If you're looking an audio based DAW I really don't think Auria Pro can be beaten on iOS. It has 6 AUX channels, 8 built-in SubGroups and as many busses as you want. The audio editing is also excellent, and it also offers some great plugins via IAP (although the some of the FabFilter ones can now also be bought as AUv3 versions so that is probably a better idea at this point in time).

Auria is just a workhorse, especially for audio. There is a learning curve, but that's because the app is deep.

For guitar tones, particularly distortion, I think actually the most effective solution is to combine pedals with iOS amp sims. I use an inexpensive JOYO American Sound, a TubeDriver + a TC Helicon HyperGravity Compressor and a Hall Of Fame 2 and with that combo I get much better tones (into an audio interface) than what is available via the iOS amp sims.

BIAS Amp is OK though, especially if you buy the IAP IR-based cabs.

For reverbs my 3 favourites are FF Pro-R, Tonebooster TB REverb and Virsyn AudioReverb. These 3 are all really good IMO, and the Eventide BlackHole is also great for special effects when you need huge spaces.

Auria is only for iPad...sadly...the DAW i have been playing with called "Audio Evolution" is for both ipad and iphones, someone just told me that there is a glitch with this app, that when you try to use it on a iphone it asks for $7 again and again...its also limited in how many bus channels you have, your able to send allot to only two bus channels., i cant stand Apple and the limitations they impose on their customers...they basically are trying to cripple everything to control the market because the technology is here and no one would need to buy a new iphone or ipad if the ones they have work.