Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are you reading? Is it not bad?

Comments

• The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield.

Can't put this one down, especially as I lived through this era. His story is masterful and the details are so fascinating that only someone who has been with the space program can interpret and present.

Highly recommended!

• Bitcoin Billionaires was worth reading. If it's all true it's a bit of an eye opener.

• Listening to Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir and I am loving it - even more than The Martian.

• edited December 2021

I recently finished listening to John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider, and really liked it because cyberpunk is my particular sci-fi jam (though this one I guess is considered more of a precursor of that genre).

Currently listening to Anthony Grey's Saigon, and enjoying it too. It was hard not to draw comparisons to Graham Greene's The Quiet American at the beginning because I had just read that. I think Greene's is the more enjoyable and interesting to me, but Saigon is still great, imo. I was particularly moved by a section involving the execution of some early resistance fighters by the French. Not going to spoil it for everyone though.

• My buddy started editing and doing some writing for this company. I haven’t read any of this series but he says they are good. They are just getting started with this series.

https://www.eldroslegacy.com/

• edited January 2022

Been on a Russian literature kick for a while. Currently reading ‘Notes from the Underground’ by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

• @michael_m said:
    Been on a Russian literal kick for a while. Currently reading ‘Notes from the Underground’ by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Fantastic book, as I recall. (Although I only read it in translation.)

• @purpan2 said:

@michael_m said:
    Been on a Russian literal kick for a while. Currently reading ‘Notes from the Underground’ by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Fantastic book, as I recall. (Although I only read it in translation.)

In translation for me too. I only know a handful of Russian words and phrases, so I wouldn't get far without a translation.

It's definitely a book that shows you what he is capable of, and the novels that follow just get better and better.

• I’m reading this thread. It’s not bad!

• Tale For The Time Being, Ruth Ozeki
    Rings Of Saturn WG Sebold

Exemplars of voice among other things.

And then there’s Disraeli’s “When I want to read a good book, I write one”. So I’m writing one.

• Just started … This isn’t Happening- Radiohead’s Kid A and the beginning of the 21st century by Steven Hayden.

Also… Graphic Design for Everyone by Cath Caldwell

Man I love the library. Recently borrowed these books and The French Dispatch - Wes Anderson’s newest flick been waiting years to see this cause of Covid delays.

• Ultima by Stephen Baxter, having recently finished Proxima (the ‘part 1’ to Ultima’s part 2). Superb as always from Bax.

• I am reading books for the second time, I had to downsize my book collection, I have kept only the books I wanted to read twice. For example, a lot of Haruki Murakami's, busy with that. And right now The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, read it 25 years ago. The humor is sublime, something special, not dated at all.

From those books I have only a vague remembrance of the story line, it feels like I am reading those for the first time.

• I read this years ago but re-read it recently.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay.

If you think that social media fueled polarisation is a new phenomenon, read this. As the blurb reads "Whenever struck by campaigns, fads, cults and fashions, the reader may take some comfort that Charles Mackay can demonstrate historical parallels for almost every neurosis of our times". The book was first published in 1841!

• I’ve been reading the Berserk manga, it’s pretty good

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Tale For The Time Being, Ruth Ozeki
    Rings Of Saturn WG Sebold

Exemplars of voice among other things.

WG Sebold is amazing, so on the basis of that I'm going to check out your other recommendation which I hadn't heard of.

• @jonmoore said:
    I read this years ago but re-read it recently.

If you think that social media fueled polarisation is a new phenomenon, read this. As the blurb reads "Whenever struck by campaigns, fads, cults and fashions, the reader may take some comfort that Charles Mackay can demonstrate historical parallels for almost every neurosis of our times". The book was first published in 1841!

Fun fact - there never was tulip fever. I liked the book when I read it, but you don't want to rely on it unfortunately.

This book is pretty good on the Tulip period if economic history is your thing:
    https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/T/bo5414939.html

Also this book is good on the time the Dutch successfully conquered England, and the British... forgot about it?
    https://www.amazon.com/Going-Dutch-England-Plundered-Hollands/dp/0060774096

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cian said:

@jonmoore said:
    I read this years ago but re-read it recently.

Fun fact - there never was tulip fever. I liked the book when I read it, but you don't want to rely on it unfortunately.

This book is pretty good on the Tulip period if economic history is your thing:
    https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/T/bo5414939.html

Also this book is good on the time the Dutch successfully conquered England, and the British... forgot about it?
    https://www.amazon.com/Going-Dutch-England-Plundered-Hollands/dp/0060774096

The Madness of Crowds book was one my ex-father-in-law recommended, its very very interesting. And reminds one (when reading history which doesn’t seem super popular in the States) that the there is nothing new under the sun. For example there were plenty of anti-mask and anti-vax folks during the “Spanish” Flu. Not to mention the xenophobia in the naming of the influenza. That xenophobia (eg “Kung flu”) is nothing new, and seems a potent ongoing infection.

You mentioned upthread that you got something from my suggestions. Glad to pass on things that were passed on to me (from my son and partner). Those modest connections keep great stuff alive (and help make community, I think). Just picked up some new stuff, probably too much new stuff (from the great Strand bookstore in nyc). Indy bookstores are precious and dangerous ($!) places…

• edited February 2022

Just started reading Phantom of the Opera. It’s been on my list of books to read for years.

• @CapnWillie said:

@barabajagal said:
    Anyone heard of the late Octavia E. Butler? A black womans take on the science fiction genre.
    Just discovered her thru kindle daily book deals. Anyone with a kindle please download for free her short story Bloodchild.
    Thirty pages long &it just about blew my socks off. Can’t wait to start the novel of hers I bought - Parable of the Sower

She’s amazing!!!

She certainly is, so very glad I found her

• Continuing my re-reading of classic Russian literature, I have started on ‘Dead Souls’

• @michael_m said:
    Continuing my re-reading of classic Russian literature, I have started on ‘Dead Souls’

Such a great book! My absolute favorite Russian author.
    MsChasteen has a copy autographed by Billy Idol.
    Long story...

• @JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:
    Continuing my re-reading of classic Russian literature, I have started on ‘Dead Souls’

Long story...

The only book I ever got autographed was Howard Marks autographed my copy of ‘Mr Nice’.

• @barabajagal said:

@CapnWillie said:

@barabajagal said:
    Anyone heard of the late Octavia E. Butler? A black womans take on the science fiction genre.
    Just discovered her thru kindle daily book deals. Anyone with a kindle please download for free her short story Bloodchild.
    Thirty pages long &it just about blew my socks off. Can’t wait to start the novel of hers I bought - Parable of the Sower

She’s amazing!!!

She certainly is, so very glad I found her

Re Octavia Butler. I read her freely available short story Amnesty a while ago and liked it a lot. I had trouble trying to select my first book. Thanks for jogging my memory and so now I have Wild Seed which I think Im going to love.

Ive recently been reading comics to get me back into reading and would recommend
    (All part of the Rolling Stone magazines top comics article)
    Jason Lutes Berlin series about the time between the first two world wars
    Anything by Will Eisner - he's got awards named after him for a reason
    The Invisibles by Grant Morrison is very addictive psychedelic superhero romp
    Habibi by Craig Thomson is bit like persepolis but less political. A woman who is sold by her poor father when she was 9 years old!

Great thread btw

• I just started reading this thread after 2 1/2 yrs! Thx to @BlueGreenSpiral. Are you still here, mate?
    Currently reading WOOL by Hugh Howey. He self published this apocalyptic novel, about a remnant society living in a 144 story underground silo, in his spare time. Went on to fame and fortune on the Bestseller list. First hundred pages pretty good.

I have listened to Sapiens and Deus Homo several times as free YouTube audiobooks. Highly recommended. My reading is limited due to old eyes. YouTube comes in very handy.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I just started reading this thread after 2 1/2 yrs! Thx to @BlueGreenSpiral. Are you still here, mate?
    Currently reading WOOL by Hugh Howey. He self published this apocalyptic novel, about a remnant society living in a 144 story underground silo, in his spare time. Went on to fame and fortune on the Bestseller list. First hundred pages pretty good.

I have listened to Sapiens and Deus Homo several times as free YouTube audiobooks. Highly recommended. My reading is limited due to old eyes. YouTube comes in very handy.

Amazon often offer free 3 month Audible trial. Audio books are perfect for: workout, dishes, when I clean the bathroom, when I cook, etc.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@LinearLineman said:
    I just started reading this thread after 2 1/2 yrs! Thx to @BlueGreenSpiral. Are you still here, mate?

Amazon often offer 3 free months of Audible trial. Audio books are perfect for: workout, dishes, when I clean the bathroom, when I cook, etc.

• @michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

Long story...

The only book I ever got autographed was Howard Marks autographed my copy of ‘Mr Nice’.

That is a great get. It is a highly entertaining book.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

Long story...

That is a great get. It is a highly entertaining book.

Saw him on the tour he did after its release. He was hugely entertaining in person and talked about other life events not in the book. Half way through he said the venue told him he can’t light up a joint, then he took one from his pocket and lit it.