Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beat Maker 3 Experience + Praise+Sampling Journey

Comments

• @yonhorizon said:
    Btw the slicing in beatmaker is one of the most amazing features.
    Sad to hear the OP experiences bugs there.
    Three clicks, and you have the sample on 128(?) pads with individual effects and channel strip. Ableton made millions from
    this kind of intuitivity

Intua-tivity? 😉

I use BM3 all the time for slicing up samples. Works great!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@yonhorizon said:
    Three clicks, and you have the sample on 128(?) pads with individual effects and channel strip. Ableton made millions from
    this kind of intuitivity

Intua-tivity? 😉

Not trying to drag you into teaching mode here Prof, but could you free associate a sentence or two what this does for you creatively compared to our friend Egoist, which I find an easy place to drop in a thing and make other things out of. Not trying to stir up any rubbish, just interested what you might mutter round the tea urn while we were waiting our turn etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@yonhorizon said:
    this kind of intuitivity

Intua-tivity? 😉

Not trying to drag you into teaching mode here Prof, but could you free associate a sentence or two what this does for you creatively compared to our friend Egoist, which I find an easy place to drop in a thing and make other things out of. Not trying to stir up any rubbish, just interested what you might mutter round the tea urn while we were waiting our turn etc.

Sure thing. In Egoist each slice is marked at the start point but the end is effectively the start of the next slice, so you can't slice the end of a sample as you can with BM3. You also can't zoom in on the waveform in Egoist to get a precise trim at a zero point. Then, after detection and a little fiddling to get things cleaned up in BM3, I save each slice to a pad and go into edit mode to normalize and smooth out any clicks and pops. After that, sequence the pads into something snappy.

Don't get me wrong--Egoist is great for a quick nutso loop. The randomizers are superb. But for basic slicing, BM3 is my fave tool.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Don't get me wrong--Egoist is great for a quick nutso loop. The randomizers are superb. But for basic slicing, BM3 is my fave tool.

Lately I've been playing in BM3 again and decided to apply some Egoist like limitations to what I could do eg. no manual playing, just one chopped sample and a beat & bass track.

I'm often harsh on BM3 because I know of so many bugs and issues it has, but with realistic expectations it's damn impressive.

• @AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...

That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

Honestly it acted funny a couple of times while i was doing a lot of importing to pads, deleting from pads and then dragging and dropping to pads. Then the Pad drop target wouldn’t work and then when i finally got it i added to a pad i could never select the pad. Too much to try and replicate...so I’ll just stick with ReSlice and import slices for now. My guess it’s a memory issue with audio files and the app just freaks out.

Hopefully the imminent update will fix some of these kind of workflow bugs. 🙏🏼

These are truly alien specimens you have discovered. Hence the interest.

Please do consider trying to show us! These sorts of strange seemingly isolated anomalies are not fixed otherwise.

Maybe it is something about the sound files you are importing? The device itself, the OS/device? etc...

I’ll see if i can reproduce the bug. One thing i was doing for sure was playing several Patterns while trying to import and place the Sample on the Pad. Maybe BM3 doesn’t like to import and Play at the same time.

• @echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...

That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

Honestly it acted funny a couple of times while i was doing a lot of importing to pads, deleting from pads and then dragging and dropping to pads. Then the Pad drop target wouldn’t work and then when i finally got it i added to a pad i could never select the pad. Too much to try and replicate...so I’ll just stick with ReSlice and import slices for now. My guess it’s a memory issue with audio files and the app just freaks out.

Please do consider trying to show us! These sorts of strange seemingly isolated anomalies are not fixed otherwise.

Maybe it is something about the sound files you are importing? The device itself, the OS/device? etc...

I’ll see if i can reproduce the bug. One thing i was doing for sure was playing several Patterns while trying to import and place the Sample on the Pad. Maybe BM3 doesn’t like to import and Play at the same time.

Could be. It works ok for me the way i do it but there are so many different approaches and circumstances. Would love for us to scoot all these bugs out from under the appliances so we can stomp em on the floor.

• @AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

Could be. It works ok for me the way i do it but there are so many different approaches and circumstances. Would love for us to scoot all these bugs out from under the appliances so we can stomp em on the floor.

Trooth!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@yonhorizon said:
    this kind of intuitivity

Intua-tivity? 😉

Sure thing. In Egoist each slice is marked at the start point but the end is effectively the start of the next slice, so you can't slice the end of a sample as you can with BM3. You also can't zoom in on the waveform in Egoist to get a precise trim at a zero point. Then, after detection and a little fiddling to get things cleaned up in BM3, I save each slice to a pad and go into edit mode to normalize and smooth out any clicks and pops. After that, sequence the pads into something snappy.

Thank you thank you. Powerful sense making of clear, Senor...

• Do you do the initial slice in reslice, then do major edits in Beatmaker 3? Also, where do you store your sample banks? I initially thought of importing all of them to Beatmaker 3 but that seems like a daunting task.

• @winconway said:

@auxmux said:

@Dham said:
    Nice post. Looking forward to BM3 updates even though I am pretty happy with what it is capable of now and the workflow. Today I discovered a neat tool that enhances BM3 even further by allowing the import of entire Machine libraries and expansions into BM3! It works great. I already created 1,003 kits from my Maschine library in less than an hour! https://www.kit-maker.com/?fbclid=IwAR29iIxymefsagrnx4WaiM0XMMJI0ltGUNZTjMDlA7uZiZXayWPHLqgCFAQ

Wow, this could be handy and get me back into BM3. Can it import any samples and make them into kits?

No, and it doesn't convert anything to Beatmaker 3 format, it converts to Beatmaker 2 format and then you import, but Beatmaker 3s Beatmaker 2 importer is broken and imported banks have things like envelopes disabled and cant be re enabled.
    Just a heads up.

I think you are referring to an older Windows kit creator. The new kit maker creates .bmk2 files from Maschine libraries. No need to use the importer. I dragged my Maschine libraries over and in less than a 1/2 hour had over 1;000 BM3 kits created!

• @Dham said:

@winconway said:

@auxmux said:

@Dham said:
    Nice post. Looking forward to BM3 updates even though I am pretty happy with what it is capable of now and the workflow. Today I discovered a neat tool that enhances BM3 even further by allowing the import of entire Machine libraries and expansions into BM3! It works great. I already created 1,003 kits from my Maschine library in less than an hour! https://www.kit-maker.com/?fbclid=IwAR29iIxymefsagrnx4WaiM0XMMJI0ltGUNZTjMDlA7uZiZXayWPHLqgCFAQ

Wow, this could be handy and get me back into BM3. Can it import any samples and make them into kits?

No, and it doesn't convert anything to Beatmaker 3 format, it converts to Beatmaker 2 format and then you import, but Beatmaker 3s Beatmaker 2 importer is broken and imported banks have things like envelopes disabled and cant be re enabled.
    Just a heads up.

I think you are referring to an older Windows kit creator. The new kit maker creates .bmk2 files from Maschine libraries. No need to use the importer. I dragged my Maschine libraries over and in less than a 1/2 hour had over 1;000 BM3 kits created!

Mac only?

Wish they would do a BM3 project file converter-to Maschine Project... BM3 is what iMaschine should be..

• @echoopera, would that be the Vocal Boosters vol. 2 pack? There is also vol.1, and a "Vocal synthesis" pack. Nice track, btw.

I look forward to diving into BM3 again, but I'll wait until the update drops.

• Will an ipad pro 2017 10.5 inch be sufficient to run BM3 well with a few au? I can always resample my au audio to free CPU up. Should I have low expectations?

• @dstepatl said:
    Will an ipad pro 2017 10.5 inch be sufficient to run BM3 well with a few au? I can always resample my au audio to free CPU up. Should I have low expectations?

This is the iPad I use with BM3, and you should have high expectations. Unless you're planning to build a Moog orchestra, you shouldn't have any reason to feel anxious about loading a really decent range and number of synth and effect plugins.

• @tk32 said:

@dstepatl said:
    Will an ipad pro 2017 10.5 inch be sufficient to run BM3 well with a few au? I can always resample my au audio to free CPU up. Should I have low expectations?

This is the iPad I use with BM3, and you should have high expectations. Unless you're planning to build a Moog orchestra, you shouldn't have any reason to feel anxious about loading a really decent range and number of synth and effect plugins.

That is great. Thanks for the reply. I was told it would be great for me when I need to work and cant be in the studio but I wasnt expecting much, as I have no idea how powerful these are. My last experience on an ipad was the ipad2 years ago. Got a great deal on a refurbished 2017 with 512 gigs so I jumped on it hoping it will show up as expected.

Thanks again

• @dstepatl said:

@tk32 said:

@dstepatl said:

That is great. Thanks for the reply. I was told it would be great for me when I need to work and cant be in the studio but I wasnt expecting much, as I have no idea how powerful these are. My last experience on an ipad was the ipad2 years ago. Got a great deal on a refurbished 2017 with 512 gigs so I jumped on it hoping it will show up as expected.

Thanks again

IPads these days, even non-pro, have a lot of horsepower compared to an iPad 2. My iPad 6 gen can do tons that the iPad 2 couldn't. They are very capable.

• @dstepatl said:

@tk32 said:

@dstepatl said:

Thanks again

I just got the same refurbed model a few days ago from Amazon. It was a great deal (around $500 US) and a nice upgrade from my Ipad Pro 9.7 256Gb, wi-fi/cellular. It arrived nicely packaged, clean and included the Apple charger and USB cable.

• @Dham said:

@dstepatl said:

@tk32 said:

@dstepatl said:

Thanks again

I just got the same refurbed model a few days ago from Amazon. It was a great deal (around $500 US) and a nice upgrade from my Ipad Pro 9.7 256Gb, wi-fi/cellular. It arrived nicely packaged, clean and included the Apple charger and USB cable.

That's great that it arrived in good shape. I ordered from backmarket as some of the amazon deals had expired. I got it near 500, a bit under. Should be here Friday in supposedly like new condition. New to ios music, but this beatmaker seems exactly what I need for my workflow. Mostly work in hiphop.

• After a few days digging into BM3.. I don’t see the need for a desktop version... well, running it on iPadOS beta.. seems to be more responsive on the iPad than many of my desktop DAWs..
    Ableton Live export will be a great addition, with midi..

• @RajahP said:
    After a few days digging into BM3.. I don’t see the need for a desktop version... well, running it on iPadOS beta.. seems to be more responsive on the iPad than many of my desktop DAWs..

Is Live export supposed to be coming? Didnt know about that, would be a nice bonus.

• @echoopera said:
    Thank you Korg!
    Thank you ReSlice!
    Thank you BM3!

Replace ReSlice by a stone-old version of Propellerheads ReCycle and BM3 by Stockholm and you've got my way of slicing and staying completely inside Gadget. I love this combo and use it regularly.

I like your new song BTW! Got rhythm :)

• @dstepatl said:

@RajahP said:
    After a few days digging into BM3.. I don’t see the need for a desktop version... well, running it on iPadOS beta.. seems to be more responsive on the iPad than many of my desktop DAWs..

Is Live export supposed to be coming? Didnt know about that, would be a nice bonus.

It just a request.. the update is supposed to be out in a matter of hours ......as promised... (End of August)..

• Not BeatMaker3 at all, but i figured I’d keep the posting here since it relates to my new interest in sampling.
    Had a go today with GrooveBox, BlocsWave and Elastic Drums. I recorded the loops in AUM and then live recorded the performance in LaunchPad.

Truly love using the iPad these days 🙏🏼👊🏼™️

• very nice tune and great video ! :+1: :+1: :+1:

• edited August 2019

@dendy said:
    very nice tune and great video ! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Many many thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for giving it a viewing 👊🏼™️

• Got my ipad pro Friday. Messed around briefly yesterday with BM3. Today I sat down and imported a zip file full of samples cut into 4 bar loops and started chopping them up and making beats in BM3. Easy sample chopping and production workflow. Had a full sequenced trap beat in about 20 minutes. It seems like a cross between MPC and Ableton for playing and chopping, with arranging like FL studio, as I haven't touched scenes just song mode, just worked off a 4 bar loop stretched into a full arrangement.

Exactly what I was hoping for out of my iPad so that I can be productive and work wherever I go outside of my studio.

No problems with bugs yet.

• Nice! Great time to dive in!

• @mistkerl

Please don't troll a positive thread with this kind of thing.

Your screenshot clearly shows you are loading an autosaved project. These are often created just before users force quit the app, so I'm really not surprised they occasionally corrupt.

In fact, many experienced bm3 users have often suggested that the autosave system is removed entirely for this very reason - because it gives some users a false sense of security.

If you'd like help and guidance about good bm3 project housekeeping that will help you avoid project corruption, please come visit the Intua forum and post your issue.

Posting it here in this thread is just attention seeking.

• Guess it’s great for sample stuff. > @tk32 said:

@mistkerl

Please don't troll a positive thread with this kind of thing.

Your screenshot clearly shows you are loading an autosaved project. These are often created just before users force quit the app, so I'm really not surprised they occasionally corrupt.

In fact, many experienced bm3 users have often suggested that the autosave system is removed entirely for this very reason - because it gives some users a false sense of security.

If you'd like help and guidance about good bm3 project housekeeping that will help you avoid project corruption, please come visit the Intua forum and post your issue.

Posting it here in this thread is just attention

It’s got other glitches too though, Sometimes it feels like you using a beta and not the stable version. Hope update will change it. But it’s been a long wait and nothing specific is known yet.