Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beat Maker 3 Experience + Praise+Sampling Journey

Howdy Good People!

I know with all the recent hemming and hawing over BM3, a few of us became a little sour on this amazing app...well i did for sure...but as in life, things do change for the better if we allow ourselves to rise above the noise.

I want to tell everyone about a little journey I’ve been on over the past week or so.

Sampling, and the art of using it to make music has been on my Short List of things I've really wanted to add to my toolKit. I have a Push 2 and an Octatrack MKII, and while I truly love both of these devices, I never quite got the whole Sampling thing. It wasn't until I watched this little Accurate Beats video on YouTube about Serato Sample that things began to click:

My Break Thru Item:

After watching this video, I quickly convinced myself to go and buy Serato Sample, but as I was ready to hit Confirm Purchase, a little voice in my head said, "Why confine yourself to the desktop...can't you take some of the same principles and perform some of those actions on the OT and your iPad?"

So I listened to that voice. Visualized things in my mind, and saw a path worth investigating.

I began experimenting with Korg Gadget of all things, and ended up with this track after some noodling, and experimenting:

While not my best work, I did enjoy the process and learned a ton. It was a path for sure...

So then I moved on to the next stage of experimentation...using BM3 for all of this. At first, I was a little off put by the lack of transient detection...but then I remembered VirSysn ReSlice...and let's just say...OH BOY!!!

I was able to import a series of home made loops, Splice Loops and various found sounds, and set them up with 16 Slices with transients detected, and exported the slices to BM3. WOW! I then assigned the individual slices to my pads...tuned, pitched and time stretched the pads to match my mood...added fx on a per pad basis...and I was off and running.

So...after all of this...I wanted to test something further...I tried the same workflow in iMPC Pro 2, and quickly hit a wall. I could only import sounds via AudioCopy...and it was just unstable...and it did not allow me to play samples Chromatically or to a particular Scale as I can in BM3. After iMPC Pro crashed after trying to set a Fade In on a Sample, I uninstalled the app...nope, never going back...

I then thought about that good old NI App, iMaschine2...and well...it kind of worked, but ultimately it would not accommodate my messy way of producing...Only 4 Banks...I need as many pad banks as I need, with as many Patterns as I need...so it was back to BM3.

I treat Photoshop the exact same way...I never throw away a layer :)

Well, to wrap it up...I've been running BM3 for about 4 hours now, importing, processing, tweaking, creating new Patterns, testing BlocsWave Vocals, exporting them to BM3, and just messing around...and having a ton of fun without a single crash or workflow buzz killer.

Well, I just felt like I needed to get this off my chest. It's good to see a new path forward for me musically...one that will definitely feed my soul with new ways of expressing myself.

So I guess, it is now time to take what I've learned and apply it to iOS, Octatrack and OP-Z.

Thank you Korg!
Thank you ReSlice!
Thank you BM3!

Wow...it's gonna be a fun Fall and Winter season!!

Thanks for sticking around to hear where things are going :)

A New Path:

Please share you personal stories and workflow solutions in this domain. Let’s share our knowledge and grow as a group. 👊🏼™️

«134

Comments

  • A great read.

    And your enthusiasm is infectious. It makes me want to go and make music.

  • wimwim
    edited August 23

    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

  • Wow great read and thorough explanation!

    Maybe you can do your sequence in X2 and send to BM3? It’s deep maybe too deep for me at this level; still learning too.
    But great to see you making your own road🤗😌👍🏼

  • edited August 23

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

  • wimwim
    edited August 23

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

    Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

    Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

  • edited August 23

    @wim said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

    Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

    Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

    True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...just gonna stick to the workflow with ReSlice for the time being...:)

    Importing in ReSlice is easy peasy and doesn't add too much to the process for now....and the Arp allows me to explore the sample as an instrument option to be used in my work...

    Thanks for the info though. Truly appreciate it :)

  • edited August 23

    @Tones4Christ said:
    Wow great read and thorough explanation!

    Maybe you can do your sequence in X2 and send to BM3? It’s deep maybe too deep for me at this level; still learning too.
    But great to see you making your own road🤗😌👍🏼

    Thanks...I'm pretty comfortable with BM3 sequencer...and I'm playing most of my stuff into Patterns/Clips...so keeping it all contained makes the most sense for me...

    Down the rabbit hole I go :wink:

  • edited August 23

    Well, let’s see what BM3 brings to the table with the pending update.. been messing with NS2 for the past few days. These apps are really powerful monsters when you take the time to dig in..

  • Very nice! Loving the new direction! Sounds so sweet!

  • edited August 23

    @RajahP said:
    Well, let’s see what BM3 brings to the table with the pending update.. been messing with NS2 for the past few days. These apps are really powerful monsters when you take the time to dig in..

    Yeah...now come to think of it...this same workflow will be ideal for NS2...Oooh....new pathways are so fun! Just wish we had the Roll/Repeat function, and time stretching...and...ahem....soon we hope...in NS2 :)

    @AudioGus
    Many thanks sir! Thanks for giving it a listen and critique.

    Cheers!!
    -policarpo

  • edited August 23

    Tt> @echoopera said:

    Howdy Good People!

    I want to tell everyone about a little journey I’ve been on over the past week or so.

    Interesting post. Nice to see BM3 getting a bit of praise.

  • Nice post. Looking forward to BM3 updates even though I am pretty happy with what it is capable of now and the workflow. Today I discovered a neat tool that enhances BM3 even further by allowing the import of entire Machine libraries and expansions into BM3! It works great. I already created 1,003 kits from my Maschine library in less than an hour! https://www.kit-maker.com/?fbclid=IwAR29iIxymefsagrnx4WaiM0XMMJI0ltGUNZTjMDlA7uZiZXayWPHLqgCFAQ

  • edited August 24

    @echoopera
    Yeah...now come to think of it...this same workflow will be ideal for NS2...Oooh....new pathways are so fun! Just wish we had the Roll/Repeat function, and time stretching...and...ahem....soon we hope...in NS2

    You can use both ;) NS for synths, sequencing, automations, BM3 same way like you would use any HW sampler - you can send midi notes and CC automations to BM3 using External MIDI instrument from NS ... for final mixdown you can simply hook NS and BM3 into audiobus or AUM and record their mixdown in realtime (at the end this is the way how everybody with HW synths feeded by midi from desktop sequencer is doing mixdown, so it't natural way how to do things)

    iOS is great, many ways how to interconnect many great apps together, true virtual studio with tons of sequencers, effects, synths and samolers.. producer's heaven :-)

    Btw inspirational post, what @tk32 said, your enthusiasm and positive vibe is infectious :)

  • @Dham said:
    Nice post. Looking forward to BM3 updates even though I am pretty happy with what it is capable of now and the workflow. Today I discovered a neat tool that enhances BM3 even further by allowing the import of entire Machine libraries and expansions into BM3! It works great. I already created 1,003 kits from my Maschine library in less than an hour! https://www.kit-maker.com/?fbclid=IwAR29iIxymefsagrnx4WaiM0XMMJI0ltGUNZTjMDlA7uZiZXayWPHLqgCFAQ

    Wow, this could be handy and get me back into BM3. Can it import any samples and make them into kits?

  • Well done @echoopera , well done.

  • Nice post about 'learning your tools' and checking features relevant to personal workflow versus flipping through apps in arbitrary fashion :)
    And an important discovery: BM3 got messed by using the slice feature.
    Worth checking for anyone who experiences unstable performance with BM3.
    (no reason to conclude it's the one and only source of problems, but a point to start)

  • Nice, yeah we have a great set of possibilities on this platform and combined with desktop/hardware :)
    Just out of interest, is there any advantage of Serato over the built in Ableton sampler?

  • @Carnbot said:
    Nice, yeah we have a great set of possibilities on this platform and combined with desktop/hardware :)
    Just out of interest, is there any advantage of Serato over the built in Ableton sampler?

    Imo yes. Serato has excellent key detect even if samples are pitch shifted. Transient/Autodetect with easy fav save is a workflow supercharger. Time stretch algorithm much cleaner and the interface is significantly simpler.

    Unmatched at the price but I still recommend Egoist by SugarBytes by a country mile if there could only be one.

  • @WillieNegus said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Nice, yeah we have a great set of possibilities on this platform and combined with desktop/hardware :)
    Just out of interest, is there any advantage of Serato over the built in Ableton sampler?

    Imo yes. Serato has excellent key detect even if samples are pitch shifted. Transient/Autodetect with easy fav save is a workflow supercharger. Time stretch algorithm much cleaner and the interface is significantly simpler.

    Unmatched at the price but I still recommend Egoist by SugarBytes by a country mile if there could only be one.

    Thanks for the info :)
    Yeah I do like egoist as well even though I don't use it as much as I used to right now.

  • @echoopera said:

    @wim said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

    Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

    Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

    True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...

    That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

  • @AudioGus said:

    That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

    Weird, I always chop my samples and never had any issues with it too.

  • @Jeezs said:

    @AudioGus said:

    That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

    Weird, I always chop my samples and never had any issues with it too.

    The only slicer bug I know of is going above 64 slices and playing back a slice via double tap...

  • @auxmux said:

    @Dham said:
    Nice post. Looking forward to BM3 updates even though I am pretty happy with what it is capable of now and the workflow. Today I discovered a neat tool that enhances BM3 even further by allowing the import of entire Machine libraries and expansions into BM3! It works great. I already created 1,003 kits from my Maschine library in less than an hour! https://www.kit-maker.com/?fbclid=IwAR29iIxymefsagrnx4WaiM0XMMJI0ltGUNZTjMDlA7uZiZXayWPHLqgCFAQ

    Wow, this could be handy and get me back into BM3. Can it import any samples and make them into kits?

    No, and it doesn't convert anything to Beatmaker 3 format, it converts to Beatmaker 2 format and then you import, but Beatmaker 3s Beatmaker 2 importer is broken and imported banks have things like envelopes disabled and cant be re enabled.
    Just a heads up.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

    Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

    Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

    True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...

    That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

    Honestly it acted funny a couple of times while i was doing a lot of importing to pads, deleting from pads and then dragging and dropping to pads. Then the Pad drop target wouldn’t work and then when i finally got it i added to a pad i could never select the pad. Too much to try and replicate...so I’ll just stick with ReSlice and import slices for now. My guess it’s a memory issue with audio files and the app just freaks out.

    Hopefully the imminent update will fix some of these kind of workflow bugs. 🙏🏼

  • edited August 24

    @echoopera said:

    @AudioGus said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:

    @echoopera said:

    @wim said:
    Nice post. Very inspiring. B)

    But, why do you say there's no transient detection in BM3?

    Hrmmm...lemme go back in and check that out...I guess I chose the ReSlice route so I could quickly process a bunch of samples, and export them as slices for BM3, Octatrack and my OP-Z....but either way...thanks for the heads up :)

    Reslice is great, but you’re adding a bunch of steps to your workflow that you probably don’t need unless you end up not happy with the detection results. Sometimes playing with the detect % is needed.

    Slice to pads, with “create pattern” enabled is amazingly quick and useful.

    True...however...just tested it, and it became a little unstable...I could slice to the 16 pads...but BM3 started acting funny and wouldn't let me edit the parameters of the individual pad...only PAD 1 was selectable...

    That sounds super weird. Never experienced anything like that. What device / OS? Able to do a video of it?

    Honestly it acted funny a couple of times while i was doing a lot of importing to pads, deleting from pads and then dragging and dropping to pads. Then the Pad drop target wouldn’t work and then when i finally got it i added to a pad i could never select the pad. Too much to try and replicate...so I’ll just stick with ReSlice and import slices for now. My guess it’s a memory issue with audio files and the app just freaks out.

    Hopefully the imminent update will fix some of these kind of workflow bugs. 🙏🏼

    These are truly alien specimens you have discovered. Hence the interest.

    Please do consider trying to show us! These sorts of strange seemingly isolated anomalies are not fixed otherwise.

    Maybe it is something about the sound files you are importing? The device itself, the OS/device? etc...

  • @echoopera said:

    Hopefully the imminent update will fix some of these kind of workflow bugs. 🙏🏼

    I might sound a bit negative but with less than a week to go to the announced update (which should be here before end of August according to V). I think we're looking at another announcement postponing the release...

    Considering iOS13/iPadOS is about to shop (Apple Event on 10th of September) I would at least wait to make sure it works properly on it.

  • @Samu said:

    @echoopera said:

    Hopefully the imminent update will fix some of these kind of workflow bugs. 🙏🏼

    I might sound a bit negative but with less than a week to go to the announced update (which should be here before end of August according to V). I think we're looking at another announcement postponing the release...

    If it were me I would set an auto release for Aug 31 and get a bunch of other work done (business/life etc) to clear the decks before the flood of update feedback.

    Considering iOS13/iPadOS is about to shop (Apple Event on 10th of September) I would at least wait to make sure it works properly on it.

    Oh yah, it is going on my burner iPad for sure.

  • @Proppa said:
    Well done @echoopera , well done.

    Agreed and seconded.

    I have dabbled a little with BM3 again recently and realized that I allowed a lot of the negativity to conveniently put me off using the app when at root my problem was I find it complex/deep/confusing and it's easier to blame the app than my head being filled (it turns out) with this ongoing apple-sauce etc.

  • Beatmaker is an amazing piece of software, the workflow is just incredible.
    So easy to change ideas and loops and samples. I would have paid for it like for premium daw if it was regularry maintained and "alive"
    ( see presonus, reaper, bitwig - stuff going on there. Gives the consumer reassurance of future proof tool. Intua is like the walking fucking dead in comparison) .
    Its so unique, and well thought-through, it left everyone, including expert companies, like korg, sfeinberg, akai, far behind. Imo :)
    I just hope it has a bright future and they realize that its something powerful and unique, so they full on developing the desktop version.

    Some more bitching :

    The lack of midi export is sad
    And also the auv3 blocking the pattern setup
    And that theres no custom colors.

  • edited August 24

    Btw the slicing in beatmaker is one of the most amazing features.
    Sad to hear the OP experiences bugs there.
    Three clicks, and you have the sample on 128(?) pads with individual effects and channel strip. Ableton made millions from
    this kind of intuitivity

Sign In or Register to comment.