Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latency Issues with Effects for Live On-Stage Use.

Hi, I'm a vocalist and I just recently purchased an iRig Pre (Mic Preamp) and wanted to be able perform live while patching effects with the help of Audiobus (I use an Ipad 3rd Gen).

Now when I use any app like Vocalive or AUFX:Dub in the Input source, there is minimal latency (as I'm able to set on the apps as well) and it is perfect for live on-stage use. However as soon as I try to patch any effects in the chain, (say Vocalive in the Input and AUFX:Dub in the Effect with the Output as Garageband) there is always a latency issue. It's not extensive but it definitely can't be used live. This occurs even if I mute the effects app.

I am quite new to this whole thing so I may be missing out something basic, but is there any way to help the latency?

Comments

• Singaling has the lowest latency I've heard

• Yeah I got Singaling as well, but unfortunately it keeps crashing when I try to open it through Audiobus :/

Also from what I understand, once apps are opened through AB, the inapp latency settings don't matter? I may be wrong on this, but thats what Vocalive shows ("Latency set by another app") once connected through AB

• You're right- Audiobus sets the latency (adjustable to either 256 or 512 samples at the moment) and then other apps follow along.

I believe the latency adds up as you route through more apps, too. That may be why you're noticing a latency when using all of AB's slots. This seems like a limiting factor for live use (depending on the application), and it will be interesting to see how AB2 handles this.

• The AUFX apps have an output limiter that says it adds 10ms latency. You can turn it off and to me it is acceptable for live use.

It is true though, some apps just add too much latency when in the effects slot.

• Yeah I tried that too but still not too much difference. I guess for live will just have to do one app at a time, until AB2 comes along, hopefully answering all prayers.

• edited March 2014

So any word if AB2 will reduce latency somehow? I've got a guitar tone that I like (jamup input > rooms cabinet IR effect) and I feel like I can't keep up with the other tracks lol. I play on the back of the beat anyways, now I am like 1/2 measure behind because the latency is driving me iNsAnE!!

• You can set the Audiobus filter buffer size in the Settings view of Rooms!. What value do you use? Also, for low latency use the "Immediate" setting in the Parameters view if your device is fast enough. (This won't be necessary anymore in version 3.3, which comes with an improved convolution algorithm.)

Markus

• edited March 2014

Rooms isn't the issue. Anytime I add any effect in the effects slot the latency becomes so noticeable on guitar. Jamup in ultra low (128) with no Audiobus is tolerable. Anything more than that and I start to struggle to find my groove, especially with faster/more intricate parts.

• @Ringleader I agree, even 256 samples (the AB minimum) makes grooving in any kind of rhythmic context incredibly difficult. Adding AB FX to the mix makes it even worse.

As much as I love the idea of chaining effects in AB2, I don't think it will be realistic for any live performance (or tracking with the FX) except ambient stuff where groove isn't so vital.

• Yes, more then 256Samples and its going difficult,
    even the syncing on iOS over MIDI is not funny!

• 256 samples = 5.8ms. When you add an effect slot app it seems like you are adding another 5.8ms. So you are already over 11.5ms + actual app processing latency + interface latency + monitor latency (if a digital monitor). It just keeps adding up.

What would rule is if AB2 first of all added 128 samples and also somehow did away with the additional samples latency added for each effect app (5.8 @ 256). Then we would be getting close. An Axe Fx total latency from input to output is about 2-3ms. I realize we probably won't ever get there but 5-8 would be nice!