Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mastering secret (Don’t tell anybody)

Comments

• @Ben said:
    This a find for sure. I put 4 Pockets Graphic EQ after it to take the edge off of some of those glossy highs.
    Amazing how flat some of my recordings were, just lacking presence.
    Though I rarely or never do any post production so I’m liking this a lot.
    Thanks to the OP.

You’re welcome :blush:

• @Ben said:
    This a find for sure. I put 4 Pockets Graphic EQ after it to take the edge off of some of those glossy highs.
    Amazing how flat some of my recordings were, just lacking presence.
    Though I rarely or never do any post production so I’m liking this a lot.
    Thanks to the OP.

+1

• edited August 2019

Would I ever buy an app that took all my years of mastering skill and ignored it for a magic-bullet preset? Hardly.

But would I pay $6.99 to find out if the thing actually works and use it when it does??
    ABSOLUTELY.

Wow. As a magic ingredient, this is up there with shallots.

• Big thanks for this.
    Had never really used bark. But as I was refurbishing some old songs recently, it really helped the separation and clarity on those old stereo mixes.

• I just tried this. I have a nicely-mixed WAV from Logic. I compared the WAV to Barkfilter's version, and to a version done in Grand Finale.

I may be doing something wrong, because both mastered versions sound way worse than the straight mix.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I just tried this. I have a nicely-mixed WAV from Logic. I compared the WAV to Barkfilter's version, and to a version done in Grand Finale.

I may be doing something wrong, because both mastered versions sound way worse than the straight mix.

If it sounds squashed, maybe the input levels were too hot. Also remember to switch on the limiter.

• edited August 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    I just tried this. I have a nicely-mixed WAV from Logic. I compared the WAV to Barkfilter's version, and to a version done in Grand Finale.

Out of the 12 tracks I have going right now three of them clearly don't benefit from it. Not every photo needs the sharpen filter.

• I'll definitely try it again. I have had excellent results from Grand Finale in the past, so the poor result this time was a warning sign.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I'll definitely try it again. I have had excellent results from Grand Finale in the past, so the poor result this time was a warning sign.

Maybe it’s a sign that you have a great mix that needs minimum or no mastering.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• edited August 2019

@AudioGus said:

@mistercharlie said:

Out of the 12 tracks I have going right now three of them clearly don't benefit from it. Not every photo needs the sharpen filter.

Same here. After compensating for the increased loudness introduced by barkfilter, and running it on a track that is relatively well mixed, the effect was extremely subtle. Without the loudness compensation, on the other hand, everything sounds much better (as one would expect as louder is almost always better).

• @jolico said:

That's what I'm telling myself :)

• @jolico Here is my video demo for that cool Bark Filter tip, epic, thanks for finding this.

• @jolico said:

That’s advice I need to learn how to follow

• 25% say ALL tracks sound bad... how weird.

• edited August 2019

@Simon said:
    25% say ALL tracks sound bad... how weird.

25% are pissed off mastering engineers :smiley:

Seriously though, it could be any one of the following reasons:

• input level too hot
    • great mix as it is
    • Mastering engineer :smiley:
    • bad monitors
    • Used another preset
    • The mix just isn’t “compatible” (I tried it on one of my live recordings and it sounded much better with all 27 bands enabled)
  • @thesoundtestroom said:
    @jolico Here is my video demo for that cool Bark Filter tip, epic, thanks for finding this.

:blush:

• Thanks Doug. Now it’s certified.

• Man I’ve been under a rock or something!😳😲😲😂😂

Sold!😌❤️❤️❤️

• @jolico said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I'll definitely try it again. I have had excellent results from Grand Finale in the past, so the poor result this time was a warning sign.

If it ain’t broke, don’t mix it.

(I fixed that for you :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jolico said:

@mistercharlie said:

If it ain’t broke, don’t mix it.

(I fixed that for you :)

Good advice

• Great, thank you!

• y'all know that bark filter hits no. 1 now on apple's paid music app list and the price also increased, all because of this thread and supported by doug's video. :D

• @Suboidua said:
    y'all know that bark filter hits no. 1 now on apple's paid music app list and the price also increased, all because of this thread and supported by doug's video. :D

Now that it’s getting attention, I hope they don’t post a “magic-killer” update.

• Knew I should have bought it whilst it was 6.99! 😂

• edited September 2019

Found another great quick-fix preset.
    This time it’s for videos that look too dark.

This is great for videos shot on older devices.

Open this app called VideX: https://itunes.apple.com/id/app/videx-video-effects-and-filters/id1126111507?mt=8

Select a video that needs more light.

Choose the “Tone” preset.

Magic.

• Finally got around to try Barkfilter Tripleband and it's legit. Also like how it acts as a limiter. Used at end of my master bus here.

• How do you folks compare it to things like: Fabfilter’s ProQ3 with L2(and/or Pro C, Pro MB combinations), Grand Finale by Klevegrand, Lurresen, Toneboosters, Audio Mastering, Final Touch, etc. I’m asking about overall consistent great renderings, not clever features or great UI’s. I don’t care about bells & whistles, just which gets the best sound...
    Because Barkfilter has turned into my Go-to final sauce, and I feel guilty not using these other great apps I’ve got.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    How do you folks compare it to things like: Fabfilter’s ProQ3 with L2(and/or Pro C, Pro MB combinations), Grand Finale by Klevegrand, Lurresen, Toneboosters, Audio Mastering, Final Touch, etc. I’m asking about overall consistent great renderings, not clever features or great UI’s. I don’t care about bells & whistles, just which gets the best sound...
    Because Barkfilter has turned into my Go-to final sauce, and I feel guilty not using these other great apps I’ve got.

I think all of those apps are capable, but I love the instant magic of the Tripleband preset in Barkfilter.

• Yeah but like everything music, one has to tweak it a little to make it fit the track. But it’s amazing how quickly it makes the whole thing sound great!

@jolico said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    How do you folks compare it to things like: Fabfilter’s ProQ3 with L2(and/or Pro C, Pro MB combinations), Grand Finale by Klevegrand, Lurresen, Toneboosters, Audio Mastering, Final Touch, etc. I’m asking about overall consistent great renderings, not clever features or great UI’s. I don’t care about bells & whistles, just which gets the best sound...

I think all of those apps are capable, but I love the instant magic of the Tripleband preset in Barkfilter.

• edited September 2019

Do you think this would be suitable for mastering individual track stems (ie. preparing for live performance) or is it just suited to a full mix? Trying the latter and it’s amazing!