Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mastering secret (Don’t tell anybody)

Comments

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @jolico This really does sound epic, good call, so good in fact that I may well make a Live Stream with Bark Filter and definitely point this out and of course give you a big shout out for pointing this out😎👍🎭

Dooooo iiiiit. 🙂

• @bcrichards said:
    I've not listened on a full speaker system yet, but I am also getting nice results by putting some light saturation and subtle bass boosting before hand. Worked well with both REAMP and GotoEQ from Klevgrand. I'll second that a limiter at the end of the chain can enhance further.

Cool cool. How is Goto? I’ve been using 6144 Ddmf or whatever. I like eqs that seem to add a wee bit of flavor

• Okay I bought it and fed a mostly acoustic guitar & piano tune through BF and compared it to same mix going through Grand Finale, combinations of Eqs&Compressor/Limiters from 4Pockets and Fabfilter, Toneboosters, and even AUFX PeakQ and Push. My verdict is holy shit.

• @db909 said:

@bcrichards said:
    I've not listened on a full speaker system yet, but I am also getting nice results by putting some light saturation and subtle bass boosting before hand. Worked well with both REAMP and GotoEQ from Klevgrand. I'll second that a limiter at the end of the chain can enhance further.

Cool cool. How is Goto? I’ve been using 6144 Ddmf or whatever. I like eqs that seem to add a wee bit of flavor

It’s got a special something going on, I would say it’s worth picking up for the extra color. It’s a dynamic eq so it can have a sort of “breathing” sound to it.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Okay I bought it and fed a mostly acoustic guitar & piano tune through BF and compared it to same mix going through Grand Finale, combinations of Eqs&Compressor/Limiters from 4Pockets and Fabfilter, Toneboosters, and even AUFX PeakQ and Push. My verdict is holy shit.

:smiley:

• Thank for this . Great to have someone to have someone concur p
    reset

• It mostly higher volume that do the trick. :)

• edited August 2019

This seems a bit similar to the Elevate Mastering Bundle from Newfangled Audio/Eventide.

There’s currently a very generous price for that for Anthology/ Equivocate owners that I can’t resist!

• Woah... -14lufs with Barkfilter vs -14lufs without Barkfilter (so same loudness) and the difference in the clarity is kind of shocking with Barkfilter. Will have to give it another listen with fresh ears in the morning.

• Gonna have to buy this now 😊

Can someone explain what’s going on?

I know there are some ‘magic’ frequencies that can sometime open up a track with a little boost. Is that what this is doing?

• @AudioGus Please report back and are you using it on a mix with vocals?

• @mjcouche said:
    @AudioGus Please report back and are you using it on a mix with vocals?

No Sir. Instrumental samples and synthy thing, although there are some cut up effected vocals on parts but nothing very legible or too musical.

For me in these current tunes I am putting together I find lowering the input gain by about -6, inserting Barkfilter with the triple magic sauce/limiter thingy and turning down the threshold to -20 to -30 then putting ProL on top to ensure -14 lufs with a ProQ3 or two somewhere in all that is going super well.

• @AudioGus thanks a lot. I’d love to hear the final product

• @mjcouche said:
    @AudioGus thanks a lot. I’d love to hear the final product

At some point I will post it. So far it is the most unlabored labor of love I have worked on. Just a batch of BM3 tracks I started almost two months ago. The 10.5 Pro and Fabfilters have dramatically improved my headspace while playing around.

• @gregsmith said:
    Gonna have to buy this now 😊

I know there are some ‘magic’ frequencies that can sometime open up a track with a little boost. Is that what this is doing?

The app store description gives some jibber jabber and I found this jibber jabber...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_scale

• I've had this app for quite awhile now.
    I used it on vocals in the BM3 battle remixes I took part in.

When used overall it does even out the levels quite well.
    I keep it for the latter stages when developing a mix.
    Lovely sounding and yep very underrated.

• @AudioGus said:

@gregsmith said:
    Gonna have to buy this now 😊

The app store description gives some jibber jabber and I found this jibber jabber...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_scale

Can someone please explain this to me like I’m 5?

• I keep waiting for a clever person to say why this can't work. I mean, one magical preset for any type of music? Any type of track? Any type of frequency range? That's impossible, right?

Also, I know there are some who love Virsyn, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I find all their apps and FX really harsh and thin-sounding. It's like listening to early mp3s or a RealPlayer stream from 1999. (But consider the source: a bass player whose hearing took a lot of abuse from standing stage left during the indie rock years and suffering the crash cymbal of a Ginger Baker-adoring drummer.)

• As long as people keep pushing levels everything will sound flat and boring just like in this example...
    (Not trying to diss the dude but to my ears it sounds like sh*t).

• edited August 2019

@Samu said:
    As long as people keep pushing levels everything will sound flat and boring just like in this example...

Yah I didn't get a feeling of 'wow it's louder' from Bark at all, so much as 'wow, it's clearer'. The first word that popped in my head was 'seperation'. The lows/mids/highs just had more individual clarity and it felt like the walls between them were less blurry. That being said while the default triple band preset thingy does have an instant 'hey there' quality in terms of showing what it does you still gotta tune those params to taste.

• @AudioGus said:

@Samu said:
    As long as people keep pushing levels everything will sound flat and boring just like in this example...

Yah I didn't get a feeling of 'wow it's louder' from Bark at all, so much as 'wow, it's clearer'. The first word that popped in my head was 'seperation'. The lows/mids/highs just had more individual clarity and it felt like the walls between them were less blurry. That being said while the default triple band preset thingy does have an instant 'hey there' quality in terms of showing what it does you still gotta tune those params to taste.

Fair.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This thing also uses the lots of bands based on human hearing approach.
    It uses the MEL scale (26 bands) rather than the Bark scale (24 bands)

I haven't used either but will probably be getting this one for the spectral clipping!!

• Is the internal signal flow of Barkfilter:

Compressor—>Multiband—>Limiter

or

Multiband—>Compressor—>Limiter

• @StudioES said:
    Nice find! It does sound clearer, and louder.

Is it just a 3-band compressor since each of the 27 filter bands is at the default? And the 'master' defaults are set in the Master tab.

The cutoff points are at around 1000hz and 6000hz. Move those little sliders and it can sound boomy or tinny.

Would be interesting to compare with another multiband compressor with the same 'master' settings and cutoff frequencies.

Good shout! I have the 4pockets mb compressor which I could try.

• edited August 2019

@AudioGus said:
    Woah... -14lufs with Barkfilter vs -14lufs without Barkfilter (so same loudness) and the difference in the clarity is kind of shocking with Barkfilter. Will have to give it another listen with fresh ears in the morning.

Yeah, multiband compression at it's finest. Never saw so effective and universal multiband preset. Fine tuned almost like cosmological constant (people with astrophycis knowledge will undertand reference :))

Who did this one, is genius :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

Maybe your audio levels were already good on your test, so it didn’t need to boost it much.
    If you gave it something with poor levels, the difference would be more noticeable.

This preset is pretty great to just slap on with minimal fussing on a quick jam session.

• I’d add also that this preset is the perfect starting point to tweak further as well. I’ve made 3 versions of it just by splitting the bands a wee bit and barely altering them. Or ever so slightly tweaking the compressor threshold or ratio. It all sounds great, but slightly different. So as long as you don’t stray too far, you should be good for quite a lot of uses. Personally I thought the original Tripleband was just ever so slightly emphasizing the highs too much. But overall, this is a slam dunk, great find

• This a find for sure. I put 4 Pockets Graphic EQ after it to take the edge off of some of those glossy highs.
    Amazing how flat some of my recordings were, just lacking presence.
    Though I rarely or never do any post production so I’m liking this a lot.
    Thanks to the OP.