Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help: I'm looking for an IOS AU Drum/Sampler player that ...

I have some samples of a drum kit. Multiple samples per drum at multiple velocities. Example: 4-6 samples of a snare drum at a velocity of 100. Every drum has been sampled this way, 4-6 samples per velocity (10 velocity levels if I remember correctly).

I would like to load these files into an AU plugin that supports sample playback at multiple velocities, and that has the ability to choose randomly one of the 4-6 samples for playback. The app must be able to stream the samples too.

Currently the only app I have found that kind of supports this functionality is, Auria Pro's Lyra sampler. However, it seems to be a bit buggy, and complains about low memory.

Does anyone know of such an app that meets my needs?

Comments

• @JD632 said:
    I have some samples of a drum kit. Multiple samples per drum at multiple velocities. Example: 4-6 samples of a snare drum at a velocity of 100. Every drum has been sampled this way, 4-6 samples per velocity (10 velocity levels if I remember correctly).

I would like to load these files into an AU plugin that supports sample playback at multiple velocities, and that has the ability to choose randomly one of the 4-6 samples for playback. The app must be able to stream the samples too.

Currently the only app I have found that kind of supports this functionality is, Auria Pro's Lyra sampler. However, it seems to be a bit buggy, and complains about low memory.

Does anyone know of such an app that meets my needs?

AudioLayer also has velocity layering.

What hardware are you running on and what size are your samples?

• I'm running an IPad Pro 64Gigs.

Yes, AudioLayer supports velocity layering, but it does not support triggering of random samples assigned to that note&velocity.

Example: When triggering a snare drum sample (Note: D1/38) at velocity 100, randomly play one of the 4-6 samples assigned to the velocity of 100.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @winconway said:
    Audiolayer says Round and Random Robin on its website, that is what you are asking for ;)

It supports Random Robin per layer, not per zone. That said, I think it works for the example @JD632 provided. Not sure how you'd set up a zone for just velocity 100, but it's possible to do small range of velocities. In that use case, you'd simply put the 4-6 samples on different layers and set up the zone per velocity range.

• So if I load up AL in AUM and setup say 6 AL instances each with a drum sample, would I be able to trigger those from Xequence 2 via midi?

@winconway said:
    Audiolayer says Round and Random Robin on its website, that is what you are asking for ;)

• edited August 2019

Yes, you can @Tones4Christ. I'm using Octachron here to sequence 6 instances of AudioLayer, but I've also recorded its midi into Xequence and played in AUM.

I set up velocity layers here.

It works perfectly.

• edited August 2019

Oh wow!! Head just froze up!😳

So I can actually do what I have been trying to do with KEW right inside AUM!
    I just have to learn how to set it all up. I have some drum samples but I still don’t know how to layer them in AL so that they get triggered depending on the velocity hit. Like I’m planning to send midi from Funk Drummer or others and record it into Xequence 2. Then playback that midi into AUM hosting the instances of AL like you have on your vids.

If you have an AUM setup you could share would be much appreciated and this would really simplify the midi madness with KEW.

Thanks for taking time to share the know how πŸ™πŸ‘πŸΌβ˜οΈπŸ€—

@auxmux said:
    Yes, you can @Tones4Christ. I'm using Octachron here to sequence 6 instances of AudioLayer, but I've also recorded its midi into Xequence and played in AUM.

I set up velocity layers here.

It works perfectly.

• edited August 2019

😁 @Tones4Christ I can post an example project later when I'm near my iPad.

There are few things involved here. Each AUM AudioLayer track sits on the same midi channel and the sequencer uses General Drum note mapping to trigger notes in each track.

To limit each track to a single note, use AUM setting to limit the track's note range to a single note.

Also, turn off pitch tracking at the instrument level in AudioLayer so the sample is played at its own pitch. You can always pitch the sample using AudioLayer. (Too bad this isn't a midi cc that can be automated. All about that automation.)

For velocity layers, just use AudioLayer to stack samples in separate zones (not layers). Use layers, to stack samples onto each other. Imagine a kick with 4 layers. Deeeepp. Then use your sequencer to vary velocity per step to trigger different samples per step. (Video 2)

This is Digitakt in my iPad. Add a filter per track for even more fun.

• edited August 2019

I was in the same situation last month. I purchased many multisample acoustic drum kits from Drumdrops (they sound fantastic!!!).
    Some kits came with EXS mapping but not all. So I tried audiolayer. Some of the provided EXS files worked well, but some didn't work at all (file naming discrepancies). So at that point I had no choice but to start mapping manually from scratch inside audiolayer for the corrupted EXS ones. There is a handful automatic import function in audiolayer but this implied renaming the files, and I did not want to go that way (no intention to work on desktop) and another drawback was that audiolayer uses its own proprietary format, so my kits will work only in audiolayer. So I eventually gave up on audiolayer. It is a very deep app and really good to quickly build your own instrument on the fly with the internal sampling function but it is not receiving much attention from virsyn team and as I said, it uses proprietary format.
    So I eventually decided to start creating my mappings using sfz format. To do so, All you need is a text editor with good search and replace function (the Apple one on iOS works great for that). I am in no way into programming stuff. I just used free sfz mapping available online and the few provided by Drumdrops, learned from them, and start editing them to create my own mappings with Drumdrops samples. 1 month later, I am happy I went this way. Sfz works well in Lyra and it is pure Bliss to sequence with patterning 2! What makes this solution great is that you start building sfz file for each element of a drum kit, which in my case is perfect as I can use the kick of one kit with the snare of another, each one inside a different instance of Lyra in Auria. A lot of mixing flexibility, and drum replacement in a breeze. I really recommend to go this way as It is extremely flexible and quickly tweakable (sfz is basically a txt file). You can teach yourself online, and drums are the easiest instruments to map, even round robin and choke groups are easy to set. I also read on the forum that a AU sfz player (/sampler?) Is being developed, so I will soon be able to use my kits in AUM as well.

• If anyone wants a standalone solution with up to 6 velocity layers, random sample selection or round-robin plus a nice drum sequencer and on-screen pads plus sample import and in-app sampling plus many FX, Arturia iSpark is still a good match.

• Does ispark have Midi in?

• @Franketti said:
    Does ispark have Midi in?

Yepp.

• Thanks! Will try it out!πŸ€—

• Thanks! But was wondering if each drum instrument is able to be outputted individually in AUM especially to add insert effects?

Main reason I want to use AudioLayer as it’s AU and one can add effects galore.

@rs2000 said:
    If anyone wants a standalone solution with up to 6 velocity layers, random sample selection or round-robin plus a nice drum sequencer and on-screen pads plus sample import and in-app sampling plus many FX, Arturia iSpark is still a good match.

• @Tones4Christ On the iPad, you can't have everything ;)