Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Death of Melody (YouTube Docu)

The Death of Melody

In a few weeks nearly 500.000 views and over 5000 response, so quite a hot item :)

Curious what forum members think of that melody is less and less used in contemporary music.

Comments

• Melody still used. Just same melody. Max Martin. :)

• Harmony might be in trouble too...

• Pop music is just a subset of "contemporary music"

All these videos about what is wrong with music are just focused on pop music.

"Contemporary" means "belonging to or occurring in the present." Thus, Contemporary Music includes contemporary jazz, contemporary classical, contemporary American folk music, contemporary Swedish folk music, contemporary Japanese pop, etc.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Pop music is just a subset of "contemporary music"

"Contemporary" means "belonging to or occurring in the present." Thus, Contemporary Music includes contemporary jazz, contemporary classical, contemporary American folk music, contemporary Swedish folk music, contemporary Japanese pop, etc.

To be fair the video in the first post also includes modern classical and soundtrack music, so it's not focused solely on pop music.

• Let it die. Ooommmmm.

• @richardyot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

To be fair the video in the first post also includes modern classical and soundtrack music, so it's not focused solely on pop music.

Exact, probably @GovernorSilver just looked at the titled and his judgement was ready. This exactly what the video is about. Fast consumption...

• edited August 2019

classic bias of old people "when i was younger, everything was better" :)))

nonsense in my opinion.. there is lot of harmonically rich music .. and there is lot of music which is using for expressing emotions sound colors instead of harmonies and melodies (it's same like realistic paintings of landscape vs. abstract paintings like stuff from Jackson Pollock)..

plus talking about mainstream pop music is wasting of time and it isn't benchmark of nowadays music complexity, it's just product made base of market order, to work as background noise in radio or as dance element on parties...

• as with anything - it's evolving. Melody definitions are different to different people. It's not dying, it is changing. Art and expression must evolve.

• @dendy said:
    classic bias of old people "when i was younger, everything was better" :)))

nonsense in my opinion.. there is lot of harmonically rich music .. and there is lot of music which is using for expressing emotions sound colors instead of harmonies and melodies (it's same like realistic paintings of landscape vs. abstract paintings like stuff from Jackson Pollock)..

plus talking about mainstream pop music is wasting of time and it isn't benchmark of nowadays music complexity, it's just product made base of market order, to work as background noise in radio or as dance element on parties...

Disagree, this video is just signaling a trend and doesn't give a value judgement. That said you can always discuss trends and if they are good or bad. Not everything made in the past is bad.
    btw the video is not only about popmusic.

• edited August 2019

Just expressed my overal feeling about that video.... i don't like that kind of complaining and categorising music to "good" and "bad" in general .. music is dynamic evolving system with soo wide rules that there are basically no rules :))) It makes no sense to talk about what was "better" back then and what is "worse" now.. there is no such thing as objective point of view in music, everything is always just about subjective feelings, subjective preferences ... Always been, alway will be.

• @dendy said:
    Just expressed my overal feeling about that video.... i don't like that kind of complaining and categorising music to "good" and "bad" in general .. music is dynamic evolving system with soo wide rules that there are basically no rules :))) It makes no sense to talk about what was "better" back then and what is "worse" now.. there is no such thing as objective point of view in music, everything is always just about subjective feelings, subjective preferences ... Always been, alway will be.

Sorry, but this video is not about good and bad or in the past it was better. It's just signaling a trend. Of course music and taste is something personal, but imo you can have an opinion and discuss trends and why you like it or not. Besides that I doubt if everything is so subjective, most things that we consume we consume because of social factors.

• I’m tellin’ ya... music today is going downhill, has been for a long time. No melody. Not like the classic songs! (watches part of video showing example of Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love being a little short on melody) Well, ok... but... Stairway, man. STAIRWAY! Melody to spare! 🤣

• “Everything” is “always” “subjective!” said the subjectivist...

Wait...

• He’s lost me at ‘melody is out of fashion’. Hasn’t he heard of Adele? Different genres have their peculiarities and that is that. Especially now, music has gone in so many different directions that to proclaim that something has gone out of fashion is simply silly.

Whenever I put on my car radio on it blares out cheesy melodies but fortunately it is mostly stuck on BBC radio 4 which has close to no music at all.

Melody lives, so does cheese. Nothing’s changed!

• edited August 2019

@mannix said:

@richardyot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Exact, probably @GovernorSilver just looked at the titled and his judgement was ready. This exactly what the video is about. Fast consumption...

Gentlemen, I stand corrected. He spends less than half the time of the video on pop music, then moves on to specific examples from soundtracks. His coverage of contemporary classical however, is paper thin, as he mentions the atonal movement in classical music in less than 30 sec.. out of that 12 min. video.

I like that he covered his backside by stating "all Western contemporary music" so that he can conveniently exclude contemporary music from Asia - including J-Pop, K-Pop, Bollywood, etc... , much of Russia, Africa, etc.

I shall refrain from further comment on this thread, unless somebody has a particularly urgent issue with my negligible contribution.

• @mannix said:

@dendy said:

Sorry, but this video is not about good and bad or in the past it was better. It's just signaling a trend. Of course music and taste is something personal, but imo you can have an opinion and discuss trends and why you like it or not. Besides that I doubt if everything is so subjective, most things that we consume we consume because of social factors.

Spot on! Taste is determined by the social. And with megacorps like Apple and Google steering the social we could could ask ourselves do we want this corps have this big influence. Let's not forget, oppossed to what they say, in the end it's only about more profit.

• @supadom said:
    He’s lost me at ‘melody is out of fashion’. Hasn’t he heard of Adele? Different genres have their peculiarities and that is that. Especially now, music has gone in so many different directions that to proclaim that something has gone out of fashion is simply silly.

Whenever I put on my car radio on it blares out cheesy melodies but fortunately it is mostly stuck on BBC radio 4 which has close to no music at all.

Melody lives, so does cheese. Nothing’s changed!

Would compare it rather with meat, vegan starts to be the norm for a lot of young people :)

@GovernorSilver said:

@mannix said:

I like that he covered his backside by stating "all Western contemporary music" so that he can conveniently exclude contemporary music from Asia - including J-Pop, K-Pop, Bollywood, etc... , much of Russia, Africa, etc.

I shall refrain from further comment on this thread, unless somebody has a particularly urgent issue with my negligible contribution.

The last thing is OK to me. But as a final remark: we are still living in the West and our charts and way of listing is still filtering our way we listen.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@mannix said:

The last thing is OK to me. But as a final remark: we are still living in the West and our charts and way of listing is still filtering our way we listen.

This whole call on global music that you use to refute the argument is of course a total joke. As (western) neo-libs take over the world you see all cultural industries obey to the same laws. Try to see the bigger picture.

• @UnoWoo said:
    Melody still used. Just same melody. Max Martin. :)

🤣😂😛

You made my day with that comment.

My take on this discussion in the video...
    Music, mainly lyric lines, are heavily focused on rhythmic aspects, but less on melodic or harmonic aspects.
    Melodies and harmonies in current Pop are pretty basic, almost childlike, a lot of the time, but rhythmically can be pretty complex.
    Probably due to the overwhelming influence of HipHop on current Pop.
    But I think the video is onto something in regard to modern Pop being concerned with Hooks as opposed to Melodies. That trend seems to pervade most modern media lately, showing up as Soundbite and Meme culture.

It isn’t about what is better though, it just is what it is, a general observation about where we are, were, and going. Some people like it, some don’t.

• edited August 2019

@CracklePot said:

@UnoWoo said:
    Melody still used. Just same melody. Max Martin. :)

🤣😂😛

You made my day with that comment.

That trend seems to pervade most modern media lately, showing up as Soundbite and Meme culture.

Not so many people know, Max Martin only behind Beatles in number of hit records! But method for song construction is algorithmic.

• The consequences of nepotism.

• I must say that the video annoyed me. It seemed heavy on opinion and contained a lot of cherry picking. Perhaps the thesis is right. Perhaps it's wrong. Perhaps it's right in some areas: Western chart pop, "serious" cinematic soundtracks, and wrong in others: children's movies, musical theatre. What of computer game soundtracks, music for adverts, I dunno ... ring tones? It's an interesting proposal, and there is some immediate sense that "the death of melody" is happening in some places. But I would prefer a deeper discourse made about this than is present in the video.

• @greengrocer said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@mannix said:

This whole call on global music that you use to refute the argument is of course a total joke. As (western) neo-libs take over the world you see all cultural industries obey to the same laws. Try to see the bigger picture.

I think we are safe. Yes, we need to expose our kids to the richness and variety of music and to be curious. If as an adult you have developed a taste for a varied diet you'll be just fine.

Currently, anyone with Internet access is a click away from the source of musical wonder. I remember I had to work much harder to be original when I was a teenager. Yes, I do accasionally get a glimpse of what you're talking about in YouTube adverts before I skip them but I'd like to think that we're better than that.

I think good music has always been a land of the few.

• I don't subscribe to the "everything that came before was better" axiom, however I do have ears and I'm very pragmatic when it comes to ANY music.

I have just two criteria: 1) Did that music make me feel something, from just enjoying the groove to full on goosebumps & 2) Can I remember the melody/hook/harmony.

In the early 1990's I differed from my fellow high school contemporaries and didn't wholesale embrace the grunge/alternative movement. But I did hear many songs that I dug and that matched the aforementioned criteria. "Spoonman" by SoundGarden, multiple Nirvana songs, the entire Stone Temple Pilots "Tiny Music..." record, R.E.M.'s "Monster" record...they all were stuff I normally wouldn't of bought blind because it was popular, but that I totally dug upon hearing them.

Some of Britney Spears catalog I could totally get behind as examples of good, harmless pop music. I gave and still give everything a chance. But the last ten years has been completely devoid of songs I can even as a bystander say are okay. The last song I really remember getting jazzed over was Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know".

And it is NOT from lack of trying. I sub to Spotify and got Apple Music free with my last cellphone purchase, so I check the "Top Songs" lists/charts all the time. None of the Drake stuff appeals to me, none of the Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift songs have melodies I can remember... it's shit man. Plain and simple, assembly line over tuned and overproduced shit.

And it isn't because "Aww, you old & don't get that hip-hop life fool!" Wrong. I LOVE early hip-hop and rap and feel that those Dr. Dre productions are brilliant. He used minimal sampling, his tracks were very musical with cats like Eric Elizondo on bass and he used melodic motifs and bits to make the tracks so memorable. Nate Dogg is still my all time favorite hip-hop artist, dude was like the Lou Rawls of rap.

I tried to listen to the Young Thug tracks that are all over the place and sorry...they don't even come close to C-Grade Eminem.

Of course this is MY opinion, we all have one. I just refuse to be pigeonholed as old or out of touch when I'm still trying to find new, exciting & excellent music! I'd love to be proven wrong and for multiple albums & singles to set music as a whole on fire again, no matter what the genre is.

Now one final caveat is that most of my opinion goes for popular music but some of it also goes for low key underground stuff. I've heard independent artists on Sound Cloud etc that sounded awful, but I've also discovered some good stuff too. There is good music out there but you have to seek it out; popular music avenues like radio, YouTube and streaming outlets won't do it for you...

• but Dre and thug are two different kinds of music, I guess indirectly that is what you are saying, couldn't agree more.

• It cos they're all using generative apps and think triads are gangstas lol

• @mrcanister said:
    It cos they're all using generative apps and think triads are gangstas lol

:D Triad is gangster, but not make good music!

• I thought the original video was a flimsy argument bordering on clickbait.

This related video, however, makes some quite interesting points:

• In a slight though related tangent... one could say that the “rhythm” part of the equation mentioned in the video isn’t doing very well lately. Personally, in recent pop music very few beats will even get my toes a-tappin’. Trap beats were interesting... until they became cliche. Rap beats have become deadly serious and no fun. Plenty of current “ethnic” music that still swings, thank goodness. Even previously lively country rhythms are flatlining: