Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited August 2019

Thanks for this. I used to live for lists like this, but in my dotage I have realized that there is such a format to the rock guy best-of lists.

The lower level has a few sacred cows plus lots of idiosyncratic choices to show the breadth of the list maker. And the Top 10 you could probably guess but No. 3 or 4 is always a left-field choice and No. 1 is always a New Bold Statement chosen to piss me off.

I mean, "Marquee Moon" is a phenomenal song. But apart from maybe "See No Evil," does anyone who lived through the era really enjoy listening to Television?

Also, no "Talk, Talk, Talk" by the Psychedelic Furs? No Bauhaus?

Also, WOW that's a lot of White Music.

But I owned almost all of it. And I'm re-enjoying "Hex Induction Hour" right now, so thank you!

• edited August 2019

Pissed about the absence of any nod to "No Wave" (eg James Chance & The Contortions), feel like they could have stretched a little to include Suicide, and finally a more personal hope to see John Cooper Clarke/Martin Hannett make the cut in there somewhere, but otherwise pretty good survey of the greats.

I'm also curiously partial to the first Adam & The Ants album Dirk Wears White Sox

• I tend to treat these kinds of lists more as a way to discover albums I haven't heard, than as any marker of quality/meaning.

Struggling to see any meaningful musical definition that includes Jesus & Mary Chain, Japan, Talk Talk and the Smiths though.

• @cian Exactly this.

And apologies. Hex ENDUCTION Hour.
    What an amazing record. Hard to imagine a time when there weren't dozens of Fall albums in existence.

• @tk32 said:
    Pissed about the absence of any nod to "No Wave" (eg James Chance & The Contortions), feel like they could have stretched a little to include Suicide, and finally a more personal hope to see John Cooper Clarke/Martin Hannett make the cut in there somewhere, but otherwise pretty good survey of the greats.

I'm also curiously partial to the first Adam & The Ants album Dirk Wears White Sox

"Dirk Wears White Sox" was really hard to come by in my Midwest suburb in the early 1980s until "Kings of the Wild Frontier" exploded. It seemed a lot less likable at the time. (Was Marco Pirroni not in the band on the first record?) It has held up well though.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Thanks for this. I used to live for lists like this, but in my dotage I have realized that there is such a format to the rock guy best-of lists.

The lower level has a few sacred cows plus lots of idiosyncratic choices to show the breadth of the list maker. And the Top 10 you could probably guess but No. 3 or 4 is always a left-field choice and No. 1 is always a New Bold Statement chosen to piss me off.

I mean, "Marquee Moon" is a phenomenal song. But apart from maybe "See No Evil," does anyone who lived through the era really enjoy listening to Television?

But I owned almost all of it. And I'm re-enjoying "Hex Induction Hour" right now, so thank you!

I saw Television in Birmingham when the album came out and still listen to the album a lot. Some excellent choices in this list, I think. Except U2, maybe, who were always a bit rockist.

• edited August 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:

@tk32 said:

"Dirk Wears White Sox" was really hard to come by in my Midwest suburb in the early 1980s until "Kings of the Wild Frontier" exploded. It seemed a lot less likable at the time. (Was Marco Pirroni not in the band on the first record?) It has held up well though.

The first album did not have Marco Pirroni, or most of the other Ants on it. The original Ants from Dirk wears white sox became Bow wow wow, drummer Dave Barbe went on from there to form Republica.

• As someone who lived through that time as a record buyer, I don’t think of Television or Talking Heads as Post-punk. It was New York new wave, nothing “post”-punk about it. Otherwise, not an awful list. The order is a bit off - I would rather it just be a list with no hierarchy at all. Glad The Fall, Joy Division, early PiL and Gang of Four made it on there. I think The Embarrassment deserved a mention.

• edited August 2019

I was about to talk trash about this list until I saw that Magazine's "Real Life" is indeed on there! (should be number one, but what can you do?)

(Love me some "Kevin.")

• @legsmechanical said:
    I was about to talk trash about this list until I saw that Magazine's "Real Life" is indeed on there! (should be number one, but what can you do?)

(Love me some "Kevin.")

definitely, and Howard Formula’s synth stylings always paired well with Adam Barrysons bass :)

• 😄

@RockySmalls said:
    **** > @legsmechanical said:

(Love me some "Kevin.")

definitely, and Howard Formula’s synth stylings always paired well with Adam Barrysons bass :)

• @ALB said:
    As someone who lived through that time as a record buyer, I don’t think of Television or Talking Heads as Post-punk. It was New York new wave, nothing “post”-punk about it. Otherwise, not an awful list. The order is a bit off - I would rather it just be a list with no hierarchy at all. Glad The Fall, Joy Division, early PiL and Gang of Four made it on there. I think The Embarrassment deserved a mention.

Similar times to me. Talking Heads post-punk? Not quite sure about that, but listening to their demo tape stuff, maybe maybe not. Glad to see a lot of what‘s on that list personally, such as Young Marble Giants (of course!) and B-52’s and Devo (were Devo even on the list?). I’d also have tried to squeeze in Au Pairs and Delta 5.

• @u0421793 said:
    I’d also have tried to squeeze in Au Pairs and Delta 5.

And I would have tried to squeeze in Squeeze. 🥁

(sorry)

• @richardyot said:

@u0421793 said:
    I’d also have tried to squeeze in Au Pairs and Delta 5.

And I would have tried to squeeze in Squeeze. 🥁

(sorry)

you could probably squash the Soft Boys enough to squeeze in Squeeze ( but I’m not entirely convinced they are post-punk, more pre-punk pop.. doesn’t help the pun though :)
    any way,, as Malcomn Mclaren’s son said when he burnt all that tat,, “punk is now a national heritage site.. “
    post-punk is getting that way... not sure about this list... where’s the german, french, dutch etc contingent ? it’s too big and subjective a subject for a mere 50 places..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Definitely missing a ton of albums I would put ahead of others on here but it’s decent. I’d probably have Joy Division as number one just from their influence and what it sparked. Really surprised to not see Bauhaus too. Not a bad list though, I get that they’ll always vary a lot from person to person

• edited August 2019

I was shut down hanging out with some musician friends last night who all agree that I am wrong: "Marquee Moon" is perfect front-to-back. So there's that.
    But I am interested in who here likes Pere Ubu. I have tried to listen to "Dub Housing," but boy it's hard to get past David Thomas's voice, isn't it? And I really like "Bat Chain Puller" and Bjork of all eras, so I'm no stranger to weird.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I was shut down hanging out with some musician friends last night who all agree that I am wrong: "Marquee Moon" is perfect front-to-back. So there's that.
    But I am interested in who here likes Pere Ubu. I have tried to listen to "Dub Housing," but boy it's hard to get past David Thomas's voice, isn't it? And I really like "Bat Chain Puller" and Bjork of all eras, so I'm no stranger to weird.

Ubu! absolutely formative for me.. but Dub Housing was a bit of an eyebrow raiser when it came out after The Modern Dance... and it seems a strange ( maybe deliberately? ) choice in this list.. Modern Dance would be more of a ‘classic’ .. start there or Datapanik in the year Zero .. Joy Division wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for early Ubu,, ( and maybe the Stooges ) and you have to bear in mind they are from 74/75 so most definitely PRE-punk.. pre-punk-art-rock perhaps? Thomas’s voice is quite ‘unique’ but in keeping with the dada remit.. and he is a great story teller..

• @RockySmalls said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Ubu! absolutely formative for me.. but Dub Housing was a bit of an eyebrow raiser when it came out after The Modern Dance... and it seems a strange ( maybe deliberately? ) choice in this list.. Modern Dance would be more of a ‘classic’ .. start there or Datapanik in the year Zero .. Joy Division wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for early Ubu,, ( and maybe the Stooges ) and you have to bear in mind they are from 74/75 so most definitely PRE-punk.. pre-punk-art-rock perhaps? Thomas’s voice is quite ‘unique’ but in keeping with the dada remit.. and he is a great story teller..

[takes shot of bourbon; cracks knuckles; headphones back on]
    I'm going in.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I'm going in.

Some kind of reverse time travel going on here Doc...

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RockySmalls said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I'm going in.

christ how i envy you! hearing it for the first time , being perplexed but perhaps vaguely entertained in parts,, coming back to it days later and starting to unpick & appreciate Peter Laughners inscrutible guitar and the madness of Allen Ravenstine’s synth, tapes & free imp sax wailing ( Ravenstine quite influential on my own stuff at least ) .. but.. it will never be everyones cup of art school tea..
    it occured to me that a glaring omission from this list in terms of influence is This Heat.. either of their 2 albums.. but in this case approach 2nd album first perhaps?
    aaah.. too many, too many.. i mean... what about early Swans!! surely a massive kick in any rock listeners balls in 82..

• Oh god This Heat... Such a great band.

• edited August 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:

Weird remark about White Music. We are talking about genres. You could probably say the same if you made a list of 50 best jazz albums. And say WOW that's a lot of black music.

btw there's a huge Fall revival going on in the states with bands like Bodega. When I first heard this band I thought it was the Fall :)

• Well, the top 50 jazz records probably would include Chet Baker and Dave Brubeck and Benny Goodman. Not saying the list necessarily omitted any black artists (though surely there were some?); just more of an observation that the genre was overwhelmingly white and that it never occurred to me before.

• @u0421793 said:

@ALB said:
    As someone who lived through that time as a record buyer, I don’t think of Television or Talking Heads as Post-punk. It was New York new wave, nothing “post”-punk about it. Otherwise, not an awful list. The order is a bit off - I would rather it just be a list with no hierarchy at all. Glad The Fall, Joy Division, early PiL and Gang of Four made it on there. I think The Embarrassment deserved a mention.

Similar times to me. Talking Heads post-punk? Not quite sure about that, but listening to their demo tape stuff, maybe maybe not. Glad to see a lot of what‘s on that list personally, such as Young Marble Giants (of course!) and B-52’s and Devo (were Devo even on the list?). I’d also have tried to squeeze in Au Pairs and Delta 5.

Wow - Delta 5. That brings back a buried memory. I had two of their singles.

• Thank you a lot for sharing this. Favorited!

• edited August 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Well, the top 50 jazz records probably would include Chet Baker and Dave Brubeck and Benny Goodman. Not saying the list necessarily omitted any black artists (though surely there were some?); just more of an observation that the genre was overwhelmingly white and that it never occurred to me before.

Absolutely understandable in a time a lot of people seem to be obsessed with skincolor :)
    btw early computermusic is even more white. Bruce Rice (NON) wrote a whole manifest about it. Althought he's historical right concerning early electronic music, his final message is pure racist in the same way as some hiphop stars state that it exclusive music for blacks. Music can and should leap over all kind of borders and not be exclusive to one group.