Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auv3 Midi looper ? Again... sorry

hi there

i would like to do some live audio and midi looping in AUM. Regarding audio, ENSO is almost perfect for me. But for midi looping i’m kinda out of luck. I did an extensive search in the forum, but nothing fits my needs.
I’m not a big fan of AB+AUM+stand alone sequencer solutions, with all the routing involved.
I would like to do everything inside AUM through an AUv3.

Atom piano roll is very nice and does everything i need, but WHY in the world did they not provide the possibility to midi map the controls? I would
like to control rec/play/overdub/delete with an external controller.

in short: i’m looking for “an Enso for midi”.
Any ideas ?

thnx in advance

«1

Comments

  • Xequence 2

  • Loopy HD is awesome. It's not AUv3, but works flawlessly as a 12 input looper. The setup isn't too difficult between AUM and AB if you're willing to do it once, and use it as default whenever you want to get Loopy :)

  • @Poppadocrock said:
    Xequence 2

    dos xequence 2 (i dont own it yet) run inside AUM as AUv3 ?!

  • @echoopera said:
    Loopy HD is awesome. It's not AUv3, but works flawlessly as a 12 input looper. The setup isn't too difficult between AUM and AB if you're willing to do it once, and use it as default whenever you want to get Loopy :)

    loopy does audio, not midi, am i wrong ?

  • edited August 20

    Oh sorry...you are right. :) Missed that part...anyway, here's the Loopy link I wanted to share if you're willing to go the Audio only route:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33727/awesome-loop-deck-setup/p1

    Good to have either way as far as reference. Sorry for confusion.

    You could also use Gadget and the new Midi Out tool if you wanted another option.
    I use the following depending on my mood:
    ATOM
    Gadget
    Modstep
    BM3
    Keep my AUv3 synths hosted in AUM...but as of late, really enjoying the Audio looping route...something about it forces me to play with more intent :)

  • Have a look at Photon, although I don’t believe it checks all the boxes for you.
    But it does check more than Atom, and it may be the only other AUv3 option right now.

    Photon AU by anthony saunders
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979

  • @CracklePot said:
    Have a look at Photon, although I don’t believe it checks all the boxes for you.
    But it does check more than Atom, and it may be the only other AUv3 option right now.

    Photon AU by anthony saunders
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979

    thnx, yeah, i came to the same conclusion: photon is the only option that is close to what i'm looking for. i bought it as soon it came out, but i really "hated" the user interface. maybe i give it a try again.

  • @echoopera said:
    Oh sorry...you are right. :) Missed that part...anyway, here's the Loopy link I wanted to share if you're willing to go the Audio only route:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33727/awesome-loop-deck-setup/p1

    Good to have either way as far as reference. Sorry for confusion.

    You could also use Gadget and the new Midi Out tool if you wanted another option.
    I use the following depending on my mood:
    ATOM
    Gadget
    Modstep
    BM3
    Keep my AUv3 synths hosted in AUM...but as of late, really enjoying the Audio looping route...something about it forces me to play with more intent :)

    thanks mate. Already tried all of them. i gave up on modstep long time ago, but maybe it's time to give it a new chance

  • @AlaErt said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Have a look at Photon, although I don’t believe it checks all the boxes for you.
    But it does check more than Atom, and it may be the only other AUv3 option right now.

    Photon AU by anthony saunders
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photon-au/id1441542979

    thnx, yeah, i came to the same conclusion: photon is the only option that is close to what i'm looking for. i bought it as soon it came out, but i really "hated" the user interface. maybe i give it a try again.

    Another dev was considering making a midi looper type thing but he ain’t promising it yet. Hihi not so much help to you i know. Photon had a issue where the loop get stuck sometimes (at least this is what i found)

  • Beathawk does midi looping as auv3. Like a daw within a daw.

  • How about Mozaic scripts?
    I believe there are a lot of sequencers available, but I haven’t explored much of that yet.
    There is a good chance you could find something useful though. This AU midi Looper thing you describe is what a lot of people want, so they must surely be attempting to script one.

  • @CracklePot said:
    How about Mozaic scripts?
    I believe there are a lot of sequencers available, but I haven’t explored much of that yet.
    There is a good chance you could find something useful though. This AU midi Looper thing you describe is what a lot of people want, so they must surely be attempting to script one.

    i barely know what mozaic is, but i will definitely begin to explore it. was already on my to-do list. thnx for reminding me !

  • @ion677 said:
    Beathawk does midi looping as auv3. Like a daw within a daw.

    really ? will check it out asasp. i thought beathawk was just a standalone solution. thnx !

  • Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    It handles both "free play" and step/substep sequencing, with 7 different patterns. Each pattern can output to separate midi channel, so with one instance you can do both drums, chords, leads (up to 7 tracks, that is). All patterns share the same length, so for patterns of different lengths you need to use multiple instances.

    @MrBlaschke made a nice video about it:
    My intro video:

  • I wonder why nobody still came up with simple ableton-style MIDI recorder and looper as AUv3. I started developing one myself, but having a daily job and learning iOS development is really pretty challenging :smiley: Still doesn't look as an impossible task, wondering if it's just developers missing the market gap or there's some technical issue I didn't stumble upon yet...

  • @Peblin said:
    Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    It handles both "free play" and step/substep sequencing, with 7 different patterns. Each pattern can output to separate midi channel, so with one instance you can do both drums, chords, leads (up to 7 tracks, that is). All patterns share the same length, so for patterns of different lengths you need to use multiple instances.

    @MrBlaschke made a nice video about it:
    My intro video:

    I already found it yesterday, before going to sleep. I’m going to buy mozaic today. Thanks for your suggestion and for your work. Is FLOW midi-mappable ? What i am mainly looking for, besides record/play/stop would be undo/overdub/delete sequence. thnx again

  • @skrat said:
    I wonder why nobody still came up with simple ableton-style MIDI recorder and looper as AUv3. I started developing one myself, but having a daily job and learning iOS development is really pretty challenging :smiley: Still doesn't look as an impossible task, wondering if it's just developers missing the market gap or there's some technical issue I didn't stumble upon yet...

    indeed !! would be great but there is nothing out there. To be honest, ableton style clip launching for the recorded midi clips, would have been my next request ;)
    Someone could argue that we’re looking for “a DAW inside a DAW” and that we could use modstep as standalone for example. But that’s not what I want: Just quantized/unquantized midi recording and playback of simple sequences (if inside multiple clips even better), as Auv3 and midi mappable. The best would be the possibility to use a simple launchpad where every pad can record/play/overdub/delete - with visual feedback.
    We’re close, but still not there.

  • @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:
    Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    I already found it yesterday, before going to sleep. I’m going to buy mozaic today. Thanks for your suggestion and for your work. Is FLOW midi-mappable ? What i am mainly looking for, besides record/play/stop would be undo/overdub/delete sequence. thnx again

    Midi-mappable is on the roadmap, but not at the moment. Thanks for your clarification on what to map - sounds like a good start and not to hard to add :smile:

  • @AlaErt said:

    @skrat said:
    I wonder why nobody still came up with simple ableton-style MIDI recorder and looper as AUv3. I started developing one myself, but having a daily job and learning iOS development is really pretty challenging :smiley: Still doesn't look as an impossible task, wondering if it's just developers missing the market gap or there's some technical issue I didn't stumble upon yet...

    indeed !! would be great but there is nothing out there. To be honest, ableton style clip launching for the recorded midi clips, would have been my next request ;)
    Someone could argue that we’re looking for “a DAW inside a DAW” and that we could use modstep as standalone for example. But that’s not what I want: Just quantized/unquantized midi recording and playback of simple sequences (if inside multiple clips even better), as Auv3 and midi mappable. The best would be the possibility to use a simple launchpad where every pad can record/play/overdub/delete - with visual feedback.
    We’re close, but still not there.

    Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. I definitely want to go with multi-channel grid, not only complete scenes recording, as it will be much more flexible and easier to reason about what you have recorded. In my MVP proposal, there is no visualisation of MIDI events and if there was some, multiple channels within one recording would be still pretty hard to follow. I believe it's much easier to just allow to create multiple channels with separate clips to record and replay.
    I also worked for some time with Modstep, which is really close to what we want, but my biggest issue is that there is no AB3 state saving. Also, AUv3 is more universal, you can use AUM or any other host only, no need to fire up AB3. MIDI data is very minimal, so I don't think the iOS memory limit on AUv3 should be a serious issue, even for very big projects, e.g. whole live sets.

  • @Peblin said:

    @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:
    Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    I already found it yesterday, before going to sleep. I’m going to buy mozaic today. Thanks for your suggestion and for your work. Is FLOW midi-mappable ? What i am mainly looking for, besides record/play/stop would be undo/overdub/delete sequence. thnx again

    Midi-mappable is on the roadmap, but not at the moment. Thanks for your clarification on what to map - sounds like a good start and not to hard to add :smile:

    can i support you somehow ? patreon ?

  • @skrat said:

    @AlaErt said:

    @skrat said:
    I wonder why nobody still came up with simple ableton-style MIDI recorder and looper as AUv3. I started developing one myself, but having a daily job and learning iOS development is really pretty challenging :smiley: Still doesn't look as an impossible task, wondering if it's just developers missing the market gap or there's some technical issue I didn't stumble upon yet...

    indeed !! would be great but there is nothing out there. To be honest, ableton style clip launching for the recorded midi clips, would have been my next request ;)
    Someone could argue that we’re looking for “a DAW inside a DAW” and that we could use modstep as standalone for example. But that’s not what I want: Just quantized/unquantized midi recording and playback of simple sequences (if inside multiple clips even better), as Auv3 and midi mappable. The best would be the possibility to use a simple launchpad where every pad can record/play/overdub/delete - with visual feedback.
    We’re close, but still not there.

    Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. I definitely want to go with multi-channel grid, not only complete scenes recording, as it will be much more flexible and easier to reason about what you have recorded. In my MVP proposal, there is no visualisation of MIDI events and if there was some, multiple channels within one recording would be still pretty hard to follow. I believe it's much easier to just allow to create multiple channels with separate clips to record and replay.
    I also worked for some time with Modstep, which is really close to what we want, but my biggest issue is that there is no AB3 state saving. Also, AUv3 is more universal, you can use AUM or any other host only, no need to fire up AB3. MIDI data is very minimal, so I don't think the iOS memory limit on AUv3 should be a serious issue, even for very big projects, e.g. whole live sets.

    yep, we're exactly on the same page.

  • @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:

    @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:
    Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    I already found it yesterday, before going to sleep. I’m going to buy mozaic today. Thanks for your suggestion and for your work. Is FLOW midi-mappable ? What i am mainly looking for, besides record/play/stop would be undo/overdub/delete sequence. thnx again

    Midi-mappable is on the roadmap, but not at the moment. Thanks for your clarification on what to map - sounds like a good start and not to hard to add :smile:

    can i support you somehow ? patreon ?

    That's very nice of you :) But probably wouldn't really help in my current situation: I was thinking about going full time into the development of this kind of app, but I am still very new to iOS development and even if I would switch to full-time (or even part-time), I would probably progress very slowly. And even if I was experienced iOS developer, it's a risky business - the market is very small, the prices for apps need to be very low to generate at least a few sales so I really doubt that in a year of having the app in the app store, it would cover more than a month of modest developer salary. Patreon is nice but I am afraid that without having a very high reputation in the community, you'd be the only one who would send me few bucks :sweat_smile: And I anyway think that developers should ask for their deserved money afterwards, for the finished product, that's the most straightforward and fair way. It's a business so you need to invest first to expect some return.

    So I rather now focus on learning as much as possible and slowly build the app during any free time I have and come up with some MVP for beta testing. When I'll get the sense of how much work still remains and feel confident I can finish it, maybe then I will take at least month or two vacation / sabbatical from my daily job and focus on releasing the app asap and keep some time also for bug fixing after the release.

    So currently I really can't promise anything as I can see that also experienced developers (or even whole teams) of music apps who spend full-time working on them, struggle to deliver on time/ So in my case when it's more a hobby than a serious work and I spend very limited time on it, maybe there will be no company named Apple when I will be near to beta testing... :sweat_smile:

  • edited August 20

    @AlaErt You could try StreamByter Nimble Looper or another good midi option is KRFT.

    Jakob showing it off here.

  • @skrat said:

    @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:

    @AlaErt said:

    @Peblin said:
    Get Mozaic and test my looper/sequencer Flow. Mozaic is totally worth it anyway and Flow is free :smile:
    https://patchstorage.com/flow/

    I already found it yesterday, before going to sleep. I’m going to buy mozaic today. Thanks for your suggestion and for your work. Is FLOW midi-mappable ? What i am mainly looking for, besides record/play/stop would be undo/overdub/delete sequence. thnx again

    Midi-mappable is on the roadmap, but not at the moment. Thanks for your clarification on what to map - sounds like a good start and not to hard to add :smile:

    can i support you somehow ? patreon ?

    That's very nice of you :) But probably wouldn't really help in my current situation: I was thinking about going full time into the development of this kind of app, but I am still very new to iOS development and even if I would switch to full-time (or even part-time), I would probably progress very slowly. And even if I was experienced iOS developer, it's a risky business - the market is very small, the prices for apps need to be very low to generate at least a few sales so I really doubt that in a year of having the app in the app store, it would cover more than a month of modest developer salary. Patreon is nice but I am afraid that without having a very high reputation in the community, you'd be the only one who would send me few bucks :sweat_smile: And I anyway think that developers should ask for their deserved money afterwards, for the finished product, that's the most straightforward and fair way. It's a business so you need to invest first to expect some return.

    So I rather now focus on learning as much as possible and slowly build the app during any free time I have and come up with some MVP for beta testing. When I'll get the sense of how much work still remains and feel confident I can finish it, maybe then I will take at least month or two vacation / sabbatical from my daily job and focus on releasing the app asap and keep some time also for bug fixing after the release.

    So currently I really can't promise anything as I can see that also experienced developers (or even whole teams) of music apps who spend full-time working on them, struggle to deliver on time/ So in my case when it's more a hobby than a serious work and I spend very limited time on it, maybe there will be no company named Apple when I will be near to beta testing... :sweat_smile:

    well a simbolic monetary support from my side wasn't intended to be in exchange for promised features :) rather a small recognition for the work you have done so far ! :)

  • @Jumpercollins said:
    @AlaErt You could try StreamByter Nimble Looper or another good midi option is KRFT.

    Jakob showing it off here.

    interesting ! thnx for the hint !

  • @AlaErt said:

    @Jumpercollins said:
    @AlaErt You could try StreamByter Nimble Looper or another good midi option is KRFT.

    Jakob showing it off here.

    interesting ! thnx for the hint !

    oh, now i remember. i've tried krft already - but it does not what i am looking for

  • update after months ;) if anyone should be interested:

    i was able to solve my problem by buying a relatively cheap used op-z. It's such a great midi looper that i ended using it more for that specific purpose, than for it's internal sounds.
    I'm connecting it over Bluetooth midi to AUM which is hosting the synths. And to the OPZ's usb port (which is a usb host port!) i'm connecting AND powering a midi keyboard, which i use to live record/overdub/undo midi sequences. OPz can record/send CCs, record polyphony, every track have it's own length - up to 8 bars, i can use it's arpeggiator, I"m absolutely loving it!

  • edited October 10

    @AlaErt said:
    update after months ;) if anyone should be interested:

    i was able to solve my problem by buying a relatively cheap used op-z. It's such a great midi looper that i ended using it more for that specific purpose, than for it's internal sounds.
    I'm connecting it over Bluetooth midi to AUM which is hosting the synths. And to the OPZ's usb port (which is a usb host port!) i'm connecting AND powering a midi keyboard, which i use to live record/overdub/undo midi sequences. OPz can record/send CCs, record polyphony, every track have it's own length - up to 8 bars, i can use it's arpeggiator, I"m absolutely loving it!

    Is the op-z midi record polyphony restricted to 4 notes per track or has that been changed over updates?

  • @TrevorLlewellyn said:

    @AlaErt said:
    update after months ;) if anyone should be interested:

    i was able to solve my problem by buying a relatively cheap used op-z. It's such a great midi looper that i ended using it more for that specific purpose, than for it's internal sounds.
    I'm connecting it over Bluetooth midi to AUM which is hosting the synths. And to the OPZ's usb port (which is a usb host port!) i'm connecting AND powering a midi keyboard, which i use to live record/overdub/undo midi sequences. OPz can record/send CCs, record polyphony, every track have it's own length - up to 8 bars, i can use it's arpeggiator, I"m absolutely loving it!

    Is the op-z midi record polyphony restricted to 4 notes per track or has that been changed over updates?

    i was not sure, so i just tried it out for you. i Thought the polyphony was restricted to 4 notes just regarding the internal synth engine, but turns out that it's restricted to 4 notes even in the midi sequencer. No big deal for me, but certainly a bummer for others. Ok .. so now it's ALMOST a perfect midi looper ;)

  • Thesys is AUv3 and packed with features, including looping.

    Live Mode is one of the record options:

    When the Record button is activated in Live mode, the pitches will be recorded in real time when you set Thesys in motion. In this case, each note you play will be quantized to the clock rate (BPM x note value = step rate). Depending on the length set in the Pitch Sequencer, the pattern will continue repeating and will record any incoming MIDI notes — overwriting notes which were recorded on previous passes — until you press Record again to stop the recording process or until the sequencer clock is stopped.

Sign In or Register to comment.