Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Death to Mega-Threads! (And a modest proposal)

edited August 2019 in Other

I understand the completist appeal — everything in the same place. But the Mozaic thread, the Drambo thread, the Korg Gadget 2 thread: unless you have been following along from the very beginning, these are all virtually useless for information.

I'm not sure how to fix this.

It is fantastically reader-unfriendly to just dump everything Korg Gadget 2-related (for instance) into the same giant, undifferentiated bucket. Especially when the last 200 or so comments seem to be just kvetching.

Now, kevtching is fine! Don't get me wrong. But it's daunting to try to dip into a saga to see just what's up. For example. I love Bram Bos and everything he does. But Mozaic — the early talk about that made me say, NOT FOR ME.
But I would love to know if in the course of 1,300+ comments there's anything for the code-phobic forum member.

Modest proposal:
For all threads of more than 300 comments (or more? fewer?), someone who's been there since the beginning could start a new companion thread, using the original title with with the word DIGEST attached. This could be a list of bullet points dealing with the salient ideas in the thread.
For example, Beepstreet Drambo DIGEST, could contain:
• Developer of Sunrizer and Zeeon and Impaktor proposes new app.
• Many favorable comments and requests
• Will be some kind of drum machine, modular environment with sequencer
• Per-step probability
• App is in Alpha testing
• Testers have suggested end of year release; developer silent on that.

Or whatever. I haven't read the thread closely enough to do it justice.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Well at least I now know what kvetching is.

• I think that's the intended purpose for the wiki: going through threads and pulling out the nuggets for posterity.

• Feel free to start 'AudioBus Forum Weekly' ;)

As I see it this forum is a more like any living organism that can not be fully tamed or controlled and if it was tamed or heavily moderated all the creative ideas and discussions would die...

• @busker said:
    I think that's the intended purpose for the wiki: going through threads and pulling out the nuggets for posterity.

That's different, but also very helpful.

@Samu said:
    Feel free to start 'AudioBus Forum Weekly' ;)

As I see it this forum is a more like any living organism that can not be fully tamed or controlled and if it was tamed or heavily moderated all the creative ideas and discussions would die...

Oh, please!

• This one will run and run... ;)

• edited August 2019

This is problem of Vanilla forum.. it's is not enough structured .. all Vanilla forums ends sooner or later with megathreads ... every Vanilla forum i ever was member of suffered with this issue ...

PHPBB forum is lightyears better than Vanilla in this .. it's lot more easy there to keep threads shorter and separated, an to split disussions dynamically to more smaller therads... Also searching works way much better there (i'm never able to find anything specific i'm searching in old posts)

• I'm not sure how can this work without buses.

• Well @ExAsperis99, exasperated is definitely the right word. Really, what are you looking for here that you cannot get? So there is a little politics, a sad story here and there, a happy story, a few long threads, more info on every new app in one place, a philosopher king (@michael).

People must love the drambo thread as it cascades to what, 80,000 views? Maybe @senhorlampada should be banned for starting it! Why rain on that parade? It’s about an app that doesn’t even exist! Does that tickle your ribs just a little? This forum is a microcosm of society, except it is more tolerant and funnier.

• We just need AuV3 forum app with app switcher and state saving then we all good B)

I agree tho I’m not a huge fan of the megathreads unless it’s an upcoming or in development app like dRambo

• edited August 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Maybe @senhorlampada should be banned for starting it!

Please don't :lol:
    I didn't even know it would become so huge :tongue: It gained it's own life, and I let it go into nature

While it isn't released, I wouldn't mess with it. But we can close it when Drambo releases, because we pretty much know there will be at least 4 new topics regarding that

• @supadom said:
    I'm not sure how can this work without buses.

<3

• edited August 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I understand the completist appeal — everything in the same place. But the Mozaic thread, the Drambo thread, the Korg Gadget 2 thread: unless you have been following along from the very beginning, these are all virtually useless for information.

It is fantastically reader-unfriendly to just dump everything Korg Gadget 2-related (for instance) into the same giant, undifferentiated bucket. Especially when the last 200 or so comments seem to be just kvetching.

Now, kevtching is fine! Don't get me wrong. But it's daunting to try to dip into a saga to see just what's up. For example. I love Bram Bos and everything he does. But Mozaic — the early talk about that made me say, NOT FOR ME.
    But I would love to know if in the course of 1,300+ comments there's anything for the code-phobic forum member.

Modest proposal:
    For all threads of more than 300 comments (or more? fewer?), someone who's been there since the beginning could start a new companion thread, using the original title with with the word DIGEST attached. This could be a list of bullet points dealing with the salient ideas in the thread.
    • Per-step probability

Thoughts?

We need developer (company) sections.. Like KVR.. That should help..

• I just switch off if there’s in excess of about 20-ish replies, I’ll never catch up and it can go by without my intervention. If I was there from the start and followed it incrementally I can feel smug. Otherwise I’ll just catch the end.

What I really don’t like is starting a thread and having to cope with lots of replies and responses, even into the future as random people talk about random side-topics in it. I’d far rather dig up an old thread on the topic and add something to that, it’s lower maintenance from my point of view (ie, someone else’s problem – the person who started that thread I’ve dug up).

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    unless you have been following along from the very beginning, these are all virtually useless for information.

I agree. I also think stale topics being dredged up from the vaults are confusing. Like the "App you don't own is on sale" thread from 2018.

It would required volunteer moderators to perform headline edits and to re-start massive threads while providing a link to the prior chapters.

Thoughts?

I tend to think of the forum as a river of news and it works well if you are a regular visitor because it jumps to the newest unread comments and you get the know the threads in play by the original title.

Still... moderation and title editing would be welcome by me.

Finding useful information is often a result of using the search capability to find relevant details.
    I'm sure the Associated Wiki was intended to be the most effective organization of useful reviews, recipes and educational text. It also has recommended links beck into the Forum discussions.

• Just post your question in a new thread if you can’t unearth the info you seek in the 500+ comment threads.
    Then when it gets answered, it will be in a small, self-contained thread of its own. Be sure to give it a relevant title so it shows up in future search results, too.

• People must love the drambo thread as it cascades to what, 80,000 views?

Wow, that's more than the number of people who saw the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club!

In the case of the Drambo thread, I don't think it matters. Once the app comes out there won't be anything in the 'anticipation' thread worth looking at.

For threads like the GR16 thread, the Photon thread and the like - @Michael: Is it possible to request a text dump of a whole thread? Even with those megathreads it'd be relatively easy to go through with a real text editor and hack out the dross - leaving something which could be posted on the Wiki.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well @ExAsperis99, exasperated is definitely the right word. Really, what are you looking for here that you cannot get? So there is a little politics, a sad story here and there, a happy story, a few long threads, more info on every new app in one place, a philosopher king (@michael).

People must love the drambo thread as it cascades to what, 80,000 views? Maybe @senhorlampada should be banned for starting it! Why rain on that parade? It’s about an app that doesn’t even exist! Does that tickle your ribs just a little? This forum is a microcosm of society, except it is more tolerant and funnier.

Well, not all of us are living the idle life of the expat retiree! I don't have time to slog through the Moazic thread. I wanted to know if Photon was working well, but I couldn't quickly deduce and didn't want to put in the time to find out. Atom does me fine, I decided.

I also think you might find that it is the same few people who are relitigating the same arguments in various threads and that the number of comments does not indicate a broad appeal.

• @pauly said:

People must love the drambo thread as it cascades to what, 80,000 views?

Wow, that's more than the number of people who saw the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club!

In the case of the Drambo thread, I don't think it matters. Once the app comes out there won't be anything in the 'anticipation' thread worth looking at.

For threads like the GR16 thread, the Photon thread and the like - @Michael: Is it possible to request a text dump of a whole thread? Even with those megathreads it'd be relatively easy to go through with a real text editor and hack out the dross - leaving something which could be posted on the Wiki.

A powerful search function would certainly help and keep us from discussing workarounds.
    I sometimes have a hard time myself finding stuff using the custom google search and I admit that I've done the full-thread-text and local search hack too :*

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Well @ExAsperis99, exasperated is definitely the right word. Really, what are you looking for here that you cannot get? So there is a little politics, a sad story here and there, a happy story, a few long threads, more info on every new app in one place, a philosopher king (@michael).

Well, not all of us are living the idle life of the expat retiree! I don't have time to slog through the Moazic thread. I wanted to know if Photon was working well, but I couldn't quickly deduce and didn't want to put in the time to find out. Atom does me fine, I decided.

I also think you might find that it is the same few people who are relitigating the same arguments in various threads and that the number of comments does not indicate a broad appeal.

and sometimes they are quoting for no other reason than to:

+1

• Don't take forums too seriously, yeesh. Start a new thread if you have a pressing question, everybody understands here. What's the worst that can happen--no one responds? Then re-post your question or input in the mega-thread. Don't take forums too seriously. Yeesh. It's not the Library of Congress here.

• Anyone looking for answers to Drambo questions when it comes out will know to only start searching through from about the 2500th comment.

• @CracklePot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@LinearLineman said:

and sometimes they are quoting for no other reason than to:

+1

+1

• @oat_phipps said:
    Don't take forums too seriously, yeesh. Start a new thread if you have a pressing question, everybody understands here. What's the worst that can happen--no one responds? Then re-post your question or input in the mega-thread. Don't take forums too seriously. Yeesh. It's not the Library of Congress here.

I don't! I just want our peaceable kingdom to work well.
    But I'll take your advice and start a new Mozaic thread.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Don't take forums too seriously, yeesh. Start a new thread if you have a pressing question, everybody understands here. What's the worst that can happen--no one responds? Then re-post your question or input in the mega-thread. Don't take forums too seriously. Yeesh. It's not the Library of Congress here.

I don't! I just want our peaceable kingdom to work well.
    But I'll take your advice and start a new Mozaic thread.

Well, I'll be. Already answered!

• I still don't know what a drambo is. Every time the megathread emerges, I'm too scared to click on it.

• Just check the forum every couple of hours
    Every time I go for a cigarette, I open the forum and catch up
    Perhaps you need to start smoking 😁

• Yeah same here. I’m not as active as i once was and when i log in and see a 100 new posts on the gadget thread my eyes glaze over. This forum has really grown and become super active.

But as mentioned i’ll either google search my question with audiobus forum in the search bar or just ask. Plenty of forumites with verbal diarrhea and questions get answered quickly.

Honestly i have started to go to discchord more to get my new app updates and sales due to all the traffic.

• @u0421793 said:
    I just switch off if there’s in excess of about 20-ish replies, I’ll never catch up and it can go by without my intervention.

Same. Megathreads completely turn me off.

Other than the digest in the OP here, I have absolutely no idea what Drambo is. I just look away when I see those comment counts.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Modest proposal:
    • Per-step probability

Thoughts?

I would read such a digest of megathreads. Indeed, thanks for this one. Don't think it needs to be a mod or a long-time forum member. You just made one!

• Yep, what I keep saying:

• Well defined subjects, no click-baits.
    • A new thread for each new topic, question, discussion, ...
    • For Apps, a new thread for each and every new update.

Otherwise it's quite useless.

Moderators should enforce this, split, merge and rename threads.

@Michael