Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SB ‘Factory’ presets

Hi all. Does anyone have some ‘nice’ musical presets from this synth - warm pads that just evolve and move etc, more like D1 patches. D1 has for my use, much more musical presets (to layer behind piano etc ), but they takes ages to load each preset (seems ages when you’re playing live and have to lift off the keys whilst the preset loads). Factory seems to me much, much quicker, and seems to have all the parameters for great sounds, but to my tastes all the presets are more ‘wacky’ and sounds effects. I’m a good tweaker of sounds, but not ground up, and couldn’t really find even a good starting point, but I do like its capabilities and it seems very popular here. Thank you.

Comments

• @rhaley said:
    Hi all. Does anyone have some ‘nice’ musical presets from this synth - warm pads that just evolve and move etc, more like D1 patches. D1 has for my use, much more musical presets (to layer behind piano etc ), but they takes ages to load each preset (seems ages when you’re playing live and have to lift off the keys whilst the preset loads). Factory seems to me much, much quicker, and seems to have all the parameters for great sounds, but to my tastes all the presets are more ‘wacky’ and sounds effects. I’m a good tweaker of sounds, but not ground up, and couldn’t really find even a good starting point, but I do like its capabilities and it seems very popular here. Thank you.

D1 presets rely on samples that have to be decompressed and loaded into memory completely. I've created a bunch of PCM Expansion sounds for it and contributed over 200MB of sound material.
    If you want to use D1 live, I can imagine two options:
    1. Sample into AudioLayer and switch presets by Program Change messages (much faster than in D1)
    2. Convince @analog_matt to add disk streaming capability in D1 and maybe his other AudioKit synths ;)

• edited August 2019

@rhaley said:

It’s really worth persevering with Factory as it’s capable of bread and butter sounds though as you say the presets tend to be in the wacky side, and as a result and are often more about showcasing the app’s potential than offering anything useful musically.

I’d recommend working through some tutorials to get a feel for the features - see Tom Cosm’s excellent Factory series, starting with the video below:

I’m not a ground up sound designer either, but am more of a tweaker, and have built up a library of useful sounds over the last couple of years, some in the evolving pad genre so I know it’s possible. Unusually for me I’ve found it possible to create some sounds from the ground up with Factory, mostly due to the info I gleaned from Tom’s videos where he demonstrates some ground up patch design work:

• Brilliant thanks for the response @rs2000 and @craftycurate

• edited August 2019

The thing about pads I realized, after a few years of learning, then making my own patches exclusively, then drifting back towards presets, is that I am always most satisfied making my own. Somebody else’s pads are always too noisy, too static, modulated incorrectly, etc. I can easily find a bass or lead or comping keys patch, but I’m most satisfied by making my own pad sounds. They’re mood-setters to me, so I like to create something that sounds like I would use, rather than fit something in that doesn’t quite capture the mood I’m going for.

However, brice beasley’s Starion Pad from the Zeeon synthwave sound pack is THE best pad ever.

• edited August 2019

@rhaley said:
    Brilliant thanks for the response @rs2000 and @craftycurate

No worries ... I can PM you some of my own evolving\moving pad sounds if you wish, to pick apart and make your own from.

• Yes please, that would be great. Thank you.

@craftycurate said:

@rhaley said:
    Brilliant thanks for the response @rs2000 and @craftycurate

No worries ... I can PM you some of my own evolving\moving pad sounds if you wish, to pick apart and make your own from.