Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best DAW for iPhone?

Which one do you enjoy using?

Best DAW for iPhone?
  1. Your favorite?32 votes
    1. Groove Rider GR-16
      12.50%
    2. Audio Evolution Mobile Studio
        6.25%
    3. Caustic
        9.38%
    4. AUM
      37.50%
    5. Stagelight
      25.00%
    6. FL Studio Mobile
        9.38%

Comments

• On my iPhone 8 I actually enjoy using GarageBand and use it more than I initially thought I would...

• @Samu said:
    On my iPhone 8 I actually enjoy using GarageBand and use it more than I initially thought I would...

I get disappointed by GarageBand every time they update. They remove features, rearrange the user interface etc.

As soon as I get comfortable with it, they update and then I’m lost again. This has been happening ever since they released it on Mac, so I wouldn’t recommend getting too attached.

• I use GarageBand the most

• I use AUM the most, but haven’t found a good way to sequence it on the iPhone. Xequence 2 is really good, but don’t like the switching between apps and having to save in 2 apps etc.

Love Gadget but a bit too fiddly on iPhone.

GarageBand is actually great, if it gets automation and AU midi FX I’d use it all the time.

• BM2 is still my favorite iPhone DAW.

• GarageBand followed by AUM.

• Stagelight is what I use for everything at the moment. Don’t have any major issues with it and have produced several songs with it entirely. Can transfer songs from iPhone to iPad very easily so can use both.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@gregsmith said:
    Stagelight is what I use for everything at the moment. Don’t have any major issues with it and have produced several songs with it entirely. Can transfer songs from iPhone to iPad very easily so can use both.

Yep. Most of the things I like about GarageBand, but doesn’t annoy me in that weird way I can’t quite figure out why that GarageBand does.

Strong vote for GR-16 though, if limited to the choices in the poll. I get something I like virtually every single time outta that one, and with zero hassle.

• NS2 when it comes out :)

• GarageBand for now.

Cubasis when it comes out :smile:

There is a TON of fun in these two DAWs.

• Garageband and AUM

• edited August 2019

I think I’ve voted AUM because of the disposition of the items in the list.
    But Stagelight is my favorite by far.
    Dunno if other people think they vote for Stagelight and vote AUM instead

• GarageBand hands down, and Audiobus for dawless hosting experience (could change if AUM get landscape mode on larger iphones).

• I think it is interesting that FL Studio Mobile is pretty much always in the top 10 paid music apps, yet virtually no one on this forum seems to use it.

It has zero votes in the poll for now, too.

Anyway, I really like GarageBand on iPhone. (but not so much on iPad)

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

About one of the poll choices ...
    My mom taught me “If you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all” ;)

• @CracklePot said:
    I think it is interesting that FL Studio Mobile is pretty much always in the top 10 paid music apps, yet virtually no one on this forum seems to use it.

I got it yesterday and I am still very surprised by how how good it is, because I haven’t seen anybody talk about it around here.

• I think FL's pretty good and YES of course I'm looking forward to NS2, but I've been using iMPCPro2 on the iPad of late and actually enjoying its piano roll (I know, weird, right?) and thus have been wondering if it's worth another 8 or 9 bucks to get the phone version....anyone got anything to say on this?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think FL's pretty good and YES of course I'm looking forward to NS2, but I've been using iMPCPro2 on the iPad of late and actually enjoying its piano roll (I know, weird, right?) and thus have been wondering if it's worth another 8 or 9 bucks to get the phone version....anyone got anything to say on this?

I got the iMPC Pro 2 for the iPhone on the last sale for $4.99 (50SEK) it’s actually pretty usable.
    I’ve sent feedback to Retronyms hoping they will increase the size of the waveform view for easier editing especially on the iPhone 8. And well a few other requests as well...

The additional soundpacks are pretty useless for me as I just get annoyed with ready made loops, 10 second samples with one one-shot in the middle...(why do they include crappy stem-loops instead of sequenced instrumentloops!?).

Apart from a few minor niggles it’s a fun app :)

• BeatHawk is pretty good too. For some things.

• @wim said:
    About one of the poll choices ...
    My mom taught me “If you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all” ;)

Which one?

• I use Grooverider GR-16 the most, followed by AUM and Korg Gadget.

• edited August 2019

@jolico said:

@CracklePot said:
    I think it is interesting that FL Studio Mobile is pretty much always in the top 10 paid music apps, yet virtually no one on this forum seems to use it.

I got it yesterday and I am still very surprised by how how good it is, because I haven’t seen anybody talk about it around here.

It is good except for its mediocre, eye-sore UI quality and no AU support - contradictory to the super fine quality of their desktop counterpart. It’s time they spruced it up.

• Not sure I'd call any of the choices a 'DAW', stagelight excepted. Traditionally (like, from ancient times around 25 years ago) a DAW was a software replacement for a multitrack recorder - with extra editing capabilities. The MIDI and soft synths came later (there's only so much extra functionality you can add to a multitrack). None of these apps are really good audio editors.
    What about Auria? That's much closer. Cubasis too.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@pauly said:
    Not sure I'd call any of the choices a 'DAW', stagelight excepted. Traditionally (like, from ancient times around 25 years ago) a DAW was a software replacement for a multitrack recorder - with extra editing capabilities. The MIDI and soft synths came later (there's only so much extra functionality you can add to a multitrack). None of these apps are really good audio editors.
    What about Auria? That's much closer. Cubasis too.

Neither runs on iPhone, which is what this thread is about.

MultiTrack DAW is a nice app, and sounds a bit like what you’re describing. Pretty sure most people expect midi and plugins ability in addition to audio when they talk about DAWs these days though.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

BTW. Caustic. I woulda put that in the poll too.

• I use my phone itself mainly for just sketching things out to transfer it to auria. I’m most productive on actually getting songs ready to go with Gadget and Blocs surprisingly. GR is really great as well for jamming out ideas with or just for an impromptu dance party that my girlfriend didn’t ask for

• Neither runs on iPhone, which is what this thread is about.

Doh!

MultiTrack DAW is a nice app, and sounds a bit like what you’re describing. Pretty sure most people expect midi and plugins ability in addition to audio when they talk about DAWs these days though.

I agree, although a DAW without the digital audio feature is probably missing something.

• edited August 2019

Jist want to add note that GR16, Caustic and AUM aren't really "DAW" :) At least based on criteria what is and what isn't "DAW", discussed here at AB in other thread ...

From current public available apps my choice would be BM2, because of track lanes and ability to play multiple overlayed clips on same track, which is great for loops with recorded reverb/delay tail

• @dendy said:
    Jist want to add note that GR16, Caustic and AUM aren't really "DAW" :) At least based on criteria what is and what isn't "DAW", discussed here at AB in other thread ...

They are all Digital Audio Workstations.

Maybe not dedicated multi-trackers though, but you can use long sample loops in multiple tracks.