Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blue Mangoo speaks on Amps Saturation and MATHS ( almost 50min of education )

Comments

• Now I know what the hell this app is actually doing. Well at least a better idea. ;)

• This will be a pretty handy tool in the sound-design toolbox when it ships!

But then again I just LOVE the distortion mad mayhem I get with RoughRider 2 and FuzzPlus 3 but sometimes I would love to keep it clean too :D

• @Samu said:
    This will be a pretty handy tool in the sound-design toolbox when it ships!

But then again I just LOVE the distortion mad mayhem I get with RoughRider 2 and FuzzPlus 3 but sometimes I would love to keep it clean too :D

100 dB of gain into a saturating limiter is an INSANE level of distortion; it won't be clean at all. But it will have all the good dirt and none of the bad dirt, if that makes any sense.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

100 dB of gain into a saturating limiter is an INSANE level of distortion; it won't be clean at all. But it will have all the good dirt and none of the bad dirt, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of boosting signals at extremely low levels (Ie. to lift signals that are at -80db to 0db).
    Meaning this app could be used to 'live normalise' the incoming audio as an example.

This could indeed be very handy when combined with a Gate/Expander/Compressor/Limiter as part of a flexible channel-strip.
    Expanding low-level signals could be use creatively as it would create a quite grainy output especially if 'interpolation' is optional as it would create some interesting extra harmonics ;)

• @Samu said:

Yeah, but I'm thinking of boosting signals at extremely low levels (Ie. to lift signals that are at -80db to 0db).
    Meaning this app could be used to 'live normalise' the incoming audio as an example.

You want to use a saturator for that because it boosts the volume and prevents clipping at the same time? Would it be better to just have a simple gain control plugin that has a really wide volume range? Why do you have signals that are at -80 db? It's an error that crops up somehow or it's intentional?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:

You want to use a saturator for that because it boosts the volume and prevents clipping at the same time? Would it be better to just have a simple gain control plugin that has a really wide volume range? Why do you have signals that are at -80 db? It's an error that crops up somehow or it's intentional?

It’s purely intentional, currently I chain gains in AUM to lift super low signals when the gain on the interface is not enough...
    (I love to dig into what’s hiding near the noise floor).

• @Samu said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:

It’s purely intentional, currently I chain gains in AUM to lift super low signals when the gain on the interface is not enough...

Weirdo ;)

• @audiblevideo said:

@Samu said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Samu said:

Weirdo ;)

Yeah this is the first time I have heard of this. Have you got any links to songs where you used this technique?

• tjatja
    edited August 2019

@Blue_Mangoo

Two types of feedback:

1)

I hereby promise to buy any and all new iOS App you will come up with!

And retroactively, I am going to buy any of your iOS App that I don't have already, starting with the next month (and fresh money)!

2)

Your YouTube channel is the FIRST ever, where I enabled Notifications now - and needed to allow this first for the YT App initially.

Many, many thanks for those videos and your way to handle problems and development!

• edited August 2019

@tja said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

2)

Your YouTube channel is the FIRST ever, where I enabled Notifications now - and needed to allow this first for the YT App initially.

Many, many thanks for those videos and your way to handle problems and development!

I’m glad you enjoy them. I think they are more long winded and technical than what many customers like to see but we do them for the few who care. If you are into audio development, we also post most of our signal processing code on github for people to read and use freely in other apps:

https://github.com/sirhans/AudioFiltersXcodeProject

Most of the code used to make this video is there: oversampling, filtering, and wave shaping. The 100db saturator is not there though.

• @Blue_Mangoo I’m glad you’ve improved the quality of your voiceovers. The first couple of vids were really quiet :smile:

• @Blue_Mangoo : I love these videos

• @Blue_Mangoo,
    I really appreciate these videos.
    And do i need to say i love your apps?
    For me,ifretless bass is still one of the best apps available on the app store!

• @Blue_Mangoo thanks for this, GREAT educative video ! And looking forward for best distortion plugin on iOS, instant buy :)

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I’m glad you’ve improved the quality of your voiceovers. The first couple of vids were really quiet :smile:

Thanks. We are learning slowly. Just discovered the screencasting app called OBS. That made a big difference.

• @dendy said:
    @Blue_Mangoo thanks for this, GREAT educative video ! And looking forward for best distortion plugin on iOS, instant buy :)

Thanks. I think the first plugin to use this will be a saturator that has just two controls on the screen:

input gain and output gain

I am also planning to do a saturated compressor app, and of course to use this in iFretless guitar.

• input gain and output gain

maybe for automation purposes would be better just single knob which will adequately lower output gain while increasing input gain to keep output peaks at same level

i can see it - bit knob with label "drive it up!"

• @espiegel123 and @flo26

Thanks. It helps to hear from people who appreciate this stuff because as we are just starting to talk about this stuff on our YouTube channel the number of views sometimes seems too small to justify the time spent. But as long as a small number of people really appreciate these topics, it gives me courage to keep working on it in order to reach a wider audience one day. The idea of talking about the details of plugin development came up after I bought a robot vacuum cleaner from a guy with a YouTube channel about robovacs. When I watched his videos I could see that he had really tested a large number of different models and knew which ones were good and why. The second thing that inspired it is a video made inside a guitar custom shop. I found it fascinating to see how the wood is cut and the paint is sprayed, etc. Watching the manufacturing process made me interested in the guitars they were selling. I’m hoping there are more people out there who have interest to see how plugins are made. So for now we are planning to keep doing videos to talk about the process. ;)

• Amazing video. Not surprised. I have and recommend all of this devs apps. 👌

• I watched the full 47:38, as i also fully watched your compressor video :) I really dig the things you do with mathematica and that you really try to analyze things thoroughly.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @espiegel123 and @flo26

Thanks. It helps to hear from people who appreciate this stuff because as we are just starting to talk about this stuff on our YouTube channel the number of views sometimes seems too small to justify the time spent. But as long as a small number of people really appreciate these topics, it gives me courage to keep working on it in order to reach a wider audience one day. The idea of talking about the details of plugin development came up after I bought a robot vacuum cleaner from a guy with a YouTube channel about robovacs. When I watched his videos I could see that he had really tested a large number of different models and knew which ones were good and why. The second thing that inspired it is a video made inside a guitar custom shop. I found it fascinating to see how the wood is cut and the paint is sprayed, etc. Watching the manufacturing process made me interested in the guitars they were selling. I’m hoping there are more people out there who have interest to see how plugins are made. So for now we are planning to keep doing videos to talk about the process. ;)

I also think though the videos have a small number of views they add value to the app itself, and even those small numbers can evangelize and point to your vids.

Just don't make the vids your full time job ;)

• edited August 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @WillieNegus @_ki

Thank you :smile:

Any chance you might post some examples of what the resulting saturation sounds like?