Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your worst (audio/music/sound related) mistake?

edited August 2019 in Other

Buying a Nord micro modular as my first hardware back in 99, thought it would be nice and easy way to learn synthesis🤦‍♂️
I did get my head around it after 3 years and miss some of my old patches still.

There was a used Juno 106 going for similar price, think that might have saved me some time!

Comments

• I traded a 70s Fender silverface tube amp for a box full of weirdo horror/cult betamax movies (yes, betamax) because I'd recently gotten my first sampler. facepalm, looking back. I did have a blast sampling them though!

• Bouncing a mix and uploading without actually hearing the final file to check if the bouncing process went fine, just to find out it trimmed about 30 seconds from the end of the song - and when I did listen and found out, it was already sent to the digital stores. That was really lame.

• I didn’t really understand clipping in my early days because I just jumped right in and didn’t research anything. I ruined a lot of my tracks early on.

• Not seeing The Orb live (Orbus Terrarum era) in the 90s. Didn't even know they were in town. Sigh.

• Not wearing earplugs live for many, many years. Will hate my younger self even more as time goes on, probably.

• Spending too much on additional hardware and software without investing enough time to fully learn and explore what I already have... (This still applies thanks to the damned GAS and AAS!).

• Many years ago based purely on a wish and without any justification or supporting evidence I came to the conclusion that I could be a talented composer and musician.

• edited August 2019

Probably worst was the first band I was in splitting up and cancelling an important gig (where we were told industry people would be in the audience), as our singer had left. He was crap anyway and we could have easily replaced him. There was a girl I used to see down the pub, Alison, she could have done it. Instead we passed the gig on to another new electronic band called Depeche Mode, not sure what happened to them. I’m not bitter, I’ve let it go.

• Long time ago. Got Arts Council grant of £5,000, for multimedia project. But two others working on project more interested in drugs. Came to point where we had to show £10,000 of own money to get further £100,000 grant. Could not do alone. :'(

• Buying the 2018 iPad Pro and expecting it to actually work for music.

• Buying an iPad. Cost me hundreds of Euros and a lot of hours over the last two years...😉

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Selling stuff.

• Just the other day I accidentally plugged the wrong power cable into my USB-Hub and fried a brand new Midi Fighter Twister! Still waiting to hear back from tech support...

• edited August 2019

@Trinkit said:
    Just the other day I accidentally plugged the wrong power cable into my USB-Hub and fried a brand new Midi Fighter Twister! Still waiting to hear back from tech support...

I was expecting to hear more explosions and house fires, managed to smoke a Zoom H2 in audio interface mode that one time I borrowed a guitar to learn how to play . The universe didn't approve.

@theconnactic I know that feeling, had something similar happen recently...makes you wish for an undo that worked on life decisions!

@AudioGus I got to see the orb play around that time, not to brag. Due to circumstances I only remember the lights were very interesting :)
    The lineup was amazing compared to Irish festivals nowadays

@MonzoPro @UnoWoo @oat_phipps Ouch!!!

@syrupcore Sounds like a mistake that had a silver lining. Hope you still have the samples?

Surprised nobody has mentioned losing all their work yet! I learned after the second time to get some backups going. Very happy we have various clouds nowadays.

• Passing on a TR-909 that was going for $800 because who’s going to pay that much for a 10 year old (at the time) drum machine.

• Selling my mint Juno 60 for £250 to part fund the purchase of a Roland xp10... early 90's.
    selling my mint mc202 for £150 To part fund casio RZ1 ... late 80s 😖

• Constantly changing formats of recording and writing (daw's, standalone, pc, mac, ios, etc.). All of this is just delaying getting to the music - something that I'm very guilty of.

• @enc said:
    Selling my mint Juno 60 for £250 to part fund the purchase of a Roland xp10... early 90's.
    selling my mint mc202 for £150 To part fund casio RZ1 ... late 80s 😖

I think we have a winner, thanks for sharing!

• edited August 2019

@BlueGreenSpiral

@AudioGus I got to see the orb play around that time, not to brag. Due to circumstances I only remember the lights were very interesting :)

This would have been a nice small venue...

• @AudioGus said:
    @BlueGreenSpiral

This would have been a nice small venue...

I missed them once too, a few years back. Not sure if it was a full Orb live thing, or just a DJ set, but I stood waiting at the stage for a couple of hours for them to play at a local festival. Eventually I gave up and went off to do something else and was told later they'd turned up just after I'd left.

Another one: was at a little green Fayre/festival in the 80's, almost like a hippy village fete in the woods. There was a small stage in a round cafe tent, and next to it a list of musicians/performers and times they were playing. Something like this:

'Sunday
    11.00 Dave will be talking about the Norwich Folk Club AGM
    12.00 'Mucky' Chas Williams. Comedian.
    13.00 Local band 'Loose Strings'
    14.30 Raffle
    15.00 Roy Harper and Jimmy Page
    17.00 Bingo'
    etc.

'Roy Harper and Jimmy Page'? Lol. We thought. And as it was a Sunday and we had to head back ready for work on Monday decided not to hang about. One of my mates did. They played.

• Two of Them:

As a teenager, trading a 65 Champ fora Peavey TNT because the TNT was loud, and big enough to climb onto and jump off from it.

Telling an AandR person from EMI who had been following our band around that we were tired of her bullshit and wanted nothing to do with her bullshit label.

• Sunk a good deal of money into Korg Gadget over the years. Have only finished one track with it as opposed to the many other tracks finished via other apps

• "Space-clearing". Sold Moog Prodigy, DX7, 606, 202, Alpha Juno 1. Really miss the DX7.

• Korg Gadget :neutral:

• @jolico said:
    Korg Gadget :neutral:

Big spike at the beginning but the tail of buying new Gadgets was far too long given how little I actually used them over time. Done now pending any major inovations... Kaoss FX? Actual audio track editing and not that wtf in there now? Etc.

• @purpan2 said:
    "Space-clearing". Sold Moog Prodigy, DX7, 606, 202, Alpha Juno 1. Really miss the DX7.

hehehe Just the DX7?

• @kinkujin said:

@purpan2 said:
    "Space-clearing". Sold Moog Prodigy, DX7, 606, 202, Alpha Juno 1. Really miss the DX7.

hehehe Just the DX7?

To be honest, yes. Never did gel with the moog and the alpha juno had a non-velocity sensitive keyboard. 202 was unfathomable. 606 was very nice.

• edited August 2019

I think I may have a few of you beat. My biggest musical mistake was telling people off if they had "anything bad to say" about my music (i.e. friendly constructive criticism), lol. This was last decade when a lot of my music was indeed puerile shit, and yet I thought myself to be some sort of infallible genius/god.

To get an idea, I used to either made trance/EDM instrumental music with amateur production values (I hadn't put in my 10,000 hours yet), or "songs". The trance/EDM instrumental music was acceptable enough for my limited abilities back then and can be easily remade into truly epic masterpieces after eliminating the cringy parts. As a matter of fact, I recently remade "Bouzouki" and entered it into the USA Songwriting Competition.

The "songs" (with the exception of an Irish jig called "The Clothes My Grandfather Wore") were rubbish. I used to make "songs" with lyrics that ranged from "slightly below acceptable" to "what the utter fuck". My "singing voice" (if you could call it that) back then sounded like warbly whingy caterwauling. I often liked using the "chipmunk voice" in a few of my EDM productions as well being I used to be into Scooter.

There is one old track of mine I literally feared playing back after all of these years. I won't even repeat the title. It's too embarrassing. I got over my fear today and decided to give it a listen. I cringed so hard I literally became sick to the pit of my stomach. I didn't even smoke or drink back in those days. What the actual hell was I thinking?

So take constructive criticism in stride and learn from it. Develop your ability to judge your own music correctly without over-judging it. You won't believe how much quicker your progress will be.

• One of the worst music related mistakes I’d made, was deeply investing in music projects with talented people with drug or alcohol problems. It’s pretty improbable that they’ll be able to sustain an ongoing creative effort, along with their addictions. And ultimately it kind of wrecks the talent, and their personality after a while.

Best successes with other musicians came from hooking up with ambitious, go-getter types, as long as they’re open minded to other people’s ideas.

I was thinking gear acquisition was a big mistake, but I love gear! I think it’s fine, as long as it gets used, and you don’t fall behind the curve of learning how to use it.