Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fabfilter Summer Sale - Until September 1, 2019

Comments

• @tk32 said:

No offense @theconnactic - but the only 'superior algorithms' they have are the ones that make some people believe Fabfilter have some kind of magic (or secret sauce) that justify their premium ticket price.

But wait, I was told Eventide filters were the best...I’m so confused.

Which are the more expensive? If I just buy the most expensive one that surely is the “best” one, the “pro” one?

Those $10 FX apps are for losers, right? You gotta have the expensive “pro” apps...? 😀

• edited August 2019

@tk32 said:
    For anyone who is still not acquainted with Dan Worrall, here is a link to his YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/IIRs/

I thoroughly recommend his recent "What's wrong with stock plugins" series.

By the way... FabFilter paid this guy a decent wage to promote and explain the entire FF plugin range, and yet he still speaks very candidly about being able to achieve much the same results with stock EQs and compressors.

In other words... FF is great, but you can get very similar results from other (cheaper) plugins

You know his argument is a straw man fallacy, right? Anyone can get great results with about anything - the producer is the key. You get there easier though with a better UX and a better algorithm, both of which the reason why Fab Filter dominates the market and the reviews.

I also get excellent results with Auria’s channel strip and buss FX, which are professional-grade (by PSP, mind you) and come for free, but having the option of using Fab Filters just saves (a lot of) time and effort.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Fabfilter plug ins are totally in my arsenal, as well as izotope plug ins...
    Why? Because in my opinion they are superior in every way.

Izotope should really give iOS a go...

• @tk32 : worrall's video doesn't quite say that all eq's arr equivalent. The relative equivalence in terms of being able to replicate each other's eq curves (given enough time and patience) applies to digital parametric eqs. It doesn't apply to all EQ modes.

I am not saying ToneBoosters isn't the same quality as FF but I've seen people overextending Worrall's conclusion. For instance, it doesn't apply to linear phase eqs.

There are a couple of other things potentially of interest. I think Q3 has an EQ-matching function not in ToneBoosters (though not 100% sure of that).

And where "equivalence" is concerned (and he says this) that is strictly (where it applies) about the theoretical possibility to match eqs. He readily admits and other pro audio engineers point out that some eqs are set up to have more efficient work flows than others and may be easier to work with.

I think it is important to note that "all parametrics can achieve the same EQ curve" is not the same as all parametric eqs are the same.

• @ZenEagle said:
    The upgrade from pro-q 2 to 3 is usually $15 for me. It’s $3 now.

Alas, those who bought Pro-q 2 on sale have a $15 upgrade. Is it worth it to upgrade? What does 3 offer that 2 is lacking?

• I just noticed they’re on sale in auria too. Has anyone heard anything on timeless, Saturn, or volcano coming to auv3? They’re all 14.99 in auria right now and timeless is tempting

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I just noticed they’re on sale in auria too. Has anyone heard anything on timeless, Saturn, or volcano coming to auv3? They’re all 14.99 in auria right now and timeless is tempting

I’m waiting on FF to release the Creative Bundle, although FF stated it wouldn’t be any time soon.

• edited August 2019

Was looking at FF but then discovered the Toneboosters EQ. Went for the latter. The non-linear filter options (not available in FF) and the AI assistant (also not in FF) are too valuable to miss... And it's much cheaper too :-)

• edited August 2019

@espiegel123 - I don't disagree with any of the points you made above, and agree that FF score massive points over other plugins for speed, accuracy and convenience (plus cosmetics).

What I was hoping to do was dispel the common myth I sometimes see posted online that Fabfilter's non-colouring plugins (eg EQ, comp) "just sound better" than the alternatives. This is plainly not true.

• @tk32 said:
    For anyone who is still not acquainted with Dan Worrall, here is a link to his YT:

By the way... FabFilter paid this guy a decent wage to promote and explain the entire FF plugin range, and yet he still speaks very candidly about being able to achieve much the same results with stock EQs and compressors.

In other words... FF is great, but you can get very similar results from other (cheaper) plugins

Similar but not better and what fabfilter have is the best GUI experience out there. Just an absolute pleasure to use. Tonebootser stuff is great too and it is awesome they are in the ios business, have you been beta testing for toneboosters ios?

• Yeah kind of shitty...I bought the full bundle 7/30/19 for $130 and now it’s $95...sigh.

I’m of two minds when this sort of thing happens, because if you’re a dyed in the wool Appaholic whose purchased 200+ Music Apps like I have, you’ve had this happen before. Of course I don’t want to piss money away, and $35 isn’t loose change; but I also want to support the devs and in turn this segment of the music production community.

Thing is FabFilter has said there’s “no way of knowing” who buys their stuff for Auria (through Apple) so previous purchasers were SOL, and of course having already bought the entire collection in Auria this sale is kind of an extra stiff kick in the dick...

• @JRSIV said:
    Yeah kind of shitty...I bought the full bundle 7/30/19 for $130 and now it’s $95...sigh.

I’m of two minds when this sort of thing happens, because if you’re a dyed in the wool Appaholic whose purchased 200+ Music Apps like I have, you’ve had this happen before. Of course I don’t want to piss money away, and $35 isn’t loose change; but I also want to support the devs and in turn this segment of the music production community.

Thing is FabFilter has said there’s “no way of knowing” who buys their stuff for Auria (through Apple) so previous purchasers were SOL, and of course having already bought the entire collection in Auria this sale is kind of an extra stiff kick in the dick...

But you knew it was coming, right? They do sales of all their plugins every year. You were like me and just couldn’t wait, could you? 😉

• Thirty five bucks is the cost of bragging rights:)

• something that has a higher price doesn't mean everything else that is cheaper couldn't do the same thing... take for example the 4 pockets visual series. ;)

• edited August 2019

@Samu said:

@ecou said:
    That must hurt those who bought it a regular price

I don’t regret getting the bundle but had I known FF would drop a sale this soon I would have waited...

What’s next Eventide and Toneboosters do a 50% sale just to piss off early adopters?

Eventide does usually 70%-80% off at Black Friday sales, Toneboosters has a tradition to slash prices with 50% at Black Friday. So people that are into this kind of AUv3 plugins who have patience could best wait a few more months.

• @greengrocer said:

Eventide does usually 70%-80% off at Black Friday sales, Toneboosters has a tradition to slash prices with 50% at Black Friday. So people that are into this kind of AUv3 plugins who have patience could best wait a few more months.

Then I hope both Eventide and TB will have some new goodies for the coming sales ;)

• edited August 2019

I absolutely couldn’t resist the £3 to upgrade my Pro-Q2 to Pro-Q3.

What a bargain... and yes, I do realise none of my £3 investment will ever be discounted from the full FF bundle (if I ever pull the trigger) :p

• @greengrocer said:

@Samu said:

@ecou said:
    That must hurt those who bought it a regular price

I don’t regret getting the bundle but had I known FF would drop a sale this soon I would have waited...

What’s next Eventide and Toneboosters do a 50% sale just to piss off early adopters?

Eventide does usually 70%-80% off at Black Friday sales

This is how I own anthology, had to contact a few family members.
    "You know it's almost Xmas and you never know what to get for me..."

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Thirty five bucks is the cost of bragging rights:)

Ha ha - you nailed it! So true...

• Does the TB EQ have an EQ match feature similar to Q3's?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@ZenEagle said:

Alas, those who bought Pro-q 2 on sale have a $15 upgrade. Is it worth it to upgrade? What does 3 offer that 2 is lacking?

Dynamic EQ among other things

• @[Deleted User] said:

@tk32 said:

what fabfilter have is the best GUI experience out there. Just an absolute pleasure to use.

Absolutely right !

• @gusgranite said:

But you knew it was coming, right? They do sales of all their plugins every year. You were like me and just couldn’t wait, could you? 😉

Of course not! I had just got this new Air 3 and I'm rearranging everything and was just drooling to see a folder labeled "FabFilter PlugIns" with the full line up in it.

I recently bought the Tone Boosters and the DDMF Magic Eye compressor too, I like having choices during recording and mixing. The FF's GUI and transparency however are just too hard to abandon completely...they make surgical adjustments extremely easy and precise.

• edited August 2019

@hisdudeness said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ZenEagle said:

So for those of us* who don't know what "dynamic EQ" is: essentially, as I understand it (having only just now learned about it) it's an EQ that kicks in when a threshold is met. Say you have an annoying frequency that arises only when a certain passage in a song plays: for whatever reason, there's a spike at 2k that you want to deal with, but only during the pre-chorus. Dynamic EQ helps.

*Like, me, as of 30 minutes ago.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@hisdudeness said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ZenEagle said:

So for those of us* who don't know what "dynamic EQ" is: essentially, as I understand it (having only just now learned about it) it's an EQ that kicks in when a threshold is met. Say you have an annoying frequency that arises only when a certain passage in a song plays: for whatever reason, there's a spike at 2k that you want to deal with, but only during the pre-chorus. Dynamic EQ helps.

Yeah this one feature is so nice to have on iOS finally. I’m working on a section where i’m intentionally creating feedback on a lead and it’s easy to spot the freq’s that start to get nuts and you can squelch them easily.

• @drez said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@hisdudeness said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ZenEagle said:

Yeah this one feature is so nice to have on iOS finally. I’m working on a section where i’m intentionally creating feedback on a lead and it’s easy to spot the freq’s that start to get nuts and you can squelch them easily.

Loving Egoist and glitchy bits it is so nice to run ProL and ProQ3 to tame the spikey bits. The past month+ everything is sounding so much smoother and listenable. Ear fatigue and jaw clenching is way down.

• Does TB or4pockets have Dynamic EQ?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Does TB or4pockets have Dynamic EQ?

TB yes, 4Pockets no.

I think...

• What's worth paying for is a tool that makes those of us who suck at mixing/mastering sound approximately like we know what we are doing! :wink: Pro-Q2 did that for me so I'm happy that I paid for it!