Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Save Patterns In Fugue Machine?

2»

Comments

• @cuscolima said:
    Just press on the '+' in the standard presets zone. You will then be able to record your pattern. To be noted that it will only be available on a per host base (AU limitation)

I read that FM can accept incoming program change midi. Can you associate a specific program change message with a specific preset? For example, if I want program change #4 to open the preset "Test" ?

• With pattern change will become my favorite app on iOS. Also like is now is a beast but it needs the possibility to introduce patterns variation imho.

• @kevin627 said:
    I read that FM can accept incoming program change midi. Can you associate a specific program change message with a specific preset? For example, if I want program change #4 to open the preset "Test" ?

FM in standalone can respond to Program Changes directly. You're selecting from the program list which has 128 slots (FM counts from 1, PCs count from 0 so you have to adjust your count), so you have to tailor your PCs to match how the patterns are stored.

The AU version doesn't respond to PCs by itself. However, in AUM you can load presets through remote control. Go into the MIDI control page, find FM and configure the Preset Load actions. You select which presets you want to trigger and then assign the control, so it can be tailored however you like.
    Another nice thing here is that you can use PC, note or CC to trigger the preset selection, instead of just Program Changes (although you can get similar functionality with the standalone by using something like mfxConvert to change notes or CCs to PCs)

@Charlesalbert said:
    With pattern change will become my favorite app on iOS. Also like is now is a beast but it needs the possibility to introduce patterns variation imho.

I don't think you'll see pattern variations come to Fugue Machine. It's designed to be a complex, but fully deterministic sequencer. I.e. you get complex and surprising results, but they are fully replicable. If you want something FM-like but with variation, definitely check out PolyPhase. They play together very nicely!

Also, you could introduce variations by introducing MIDI processors downstream to randomly filter, transpose, etc.

• @aplourde said:

@kevin627 said:

FM in standalone can respond to Program Changes directly. You're selecting from the program list which has 128 slots (FM counts from 1, PCs count from 0 so you have to adjust your count), so you have to tailor your PCs to match how the patterns are stored.

The AU version doesn't respond to PCs by itself. However, in AUM you can load presets through remote control. Go into the MIDI control page, find FM and configure the Preset Load actions. You select which presets you want to trigger and then assign the control, so it can be tailored however you like.
    Another nice thing here is that you can use PC, note or CC to trigger the preset selection, instead of just Program Changes (although you can get similar functionality with the standalone by using something like mfxConvert to change notes or CCs to PCs)

@Charlesalbert said:
    With pattern change will become my favorite app on iOS. Also like is now is a beast but it needs the possibility to introduce patterns variation imho.

I don't think you'll see pattern variations come to Fugue Machine. It's designed to be a complex, but fully deterministic sequencer. I.e. you get complex and surprising results, but they are fully replicable. If you want something FM-like but with variation, definitely check out PolyPhase. They play together very nicely!

Also, you could introduce variations by introducing MIDI processors downstream to randomly filter, transpose, etc.

That little tip on midi control program change just changed my life 🙏

• @aplourde said:

@aplourde thank you that's good to know

I'm wondering if I can use Fugue Machine as a live performance tool to play chords in the background for certain parts of songs. I'm a guitarist and I use a BlueBoard bluetooth midi controller (can send cc or pc messages). I plan to use FM in standalone mode though I do have AUM. Also I'll send the midi out most likely to iSymphonic. What I want to do is this:

1) Program notes corresponding to a sequence of chords for a song beforehand, let's say for the chorus of a song "Wonderwall" (so I program C Em G Em), and I set the BPM to 175.

2) When I press a button on the BlueBoard, the playhead will start in FM, starting with C. Then, when I press the button on my BlueBoard again, it switches to Em, I press again to switch to G, and again to switch to Em.

3) Then Ideally when I press it once more, the progression will stop - I can also assign a separate button to stop.

I realize FM wasn't made for this, but I've been reading about FM and it seems flexible. The reason why I don't wan to simply press play and let FM run through the full sequence is that the drummer may be a bit faster or slower than the BPM we usually play at, so being able to control the progression with my foot would be tighter. If there is a way to map a midi control to go to the next chord in the sequence, that would probably achieve my needs, I'm not sure if the progression is locked to the bpm/metronome though.

I know the app is not expensive, but I'm trying to avoid buying apps before figuring out if they can serve my needs, appreciate any input. Thoughts?

• @aplourde said:

@kevin627 said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Great tips.

Now I have just to try to remember how to use PolyPhase. It has passed a lot of time since I last used it.

• @aplourde said:

This is a great video! It has some complex things going on - is there any chance that you can make a companion video to this and show HOW you set this up from a blank slate? (Or would that be too much to ask in that it might be giving away your secrets?)

Thanks!

• edited January 2021

@kevin627 said:

@aplourde said:

@aplourde thank you that's good to know

I'm wondering if I can use Fugue Machine as a live performance tool to play chords in the background for certain parts of songs. I'm a guitarist and I use a BlueBoard bluetooth midi controller (can send cc or pc messages). I plan to use FM in standalone mode though I do have AUM. Also I'll send the midi out most likely to iSymphonic. What I want to do is this:

1) Program notes corresponding to a sequence of chords for a song beforehand, let's say for the chorus of a song "Wonderwall" (so I program C Em G Em), and I set the BPM to 175.

2) When I press a button on the BlueBoard, the playhead will start in FM, starting with C. Then, when I press the button on my BlueBoard again, it switches to Em, I press again to switch to G, and again to switch to Em.

3) Then Ideally when I press it once more, the progression will stop - I can also assign a separate button to stop.

I realize FM wasn't made for this, but I've been reading about FM and it seems flexible. The reason why I don't wan to simply press play and let FM run through the full sequence is that the drummer may be a bit faster or slower than the BPM we usually play at, so being able to control the progression with my foot would be tighter. If there is a way to map a midi control to go to the next chord in the sequence, that would probably achieve my needs, I'm not sure if the progression is locked to the bpm/metronome though.

I know the app is not expensive, but I'm trying to avoid buying apps before figuring out if they can serve my needs, appreciate any input. Thoughts?

XMURE can do all the things you are looking to do except you have not flexibility on patterns
    Except play and stop Dreamfoot can go to next chord with every tap

Navichord can also do this along with play stop and AB link .. though i use above apps more