Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Nanokey Studio will not connect to ipad OS (BETA) over Bluetooth

edited August 13 in Off-topic

Just a heads up for now, but The Korg NanoKey Studio refuses to connect over bluetooth to the new iPAD OS... Ipad can see it but will not complete handshake connection when requested.

Reported it to Korg (and acknowledged +@ioue ) so they can maybe get ahead of the official release of this OS. ( which I KNOW is not yet supported because its not yet out...lol)

This message is for others to be aware before trying ipad beta.

«1

Comments


  • I use this and it works fine. I’m on beta 5.

  • I'm still on iOS 12, but this happened to me recently. Try "forget this device" from the main Settings -> Bluetooth, rather than from the Bluetooth Midi settings, and then pairing it again.

  • Interesting, I've tried using that app, and it still won't connect.... I'll try again.
    Did you do anything special - like update the firmware in any way?
    I can't connect to any app that has bluetooth with the unit I bought yesterday... But I can on any old OS ipad....

  • @SonicNeutronic said:
    Interesting, I've tried using that app, and it still won't connect.... I'll try again.
    Did you do anything special - like update the firmware in any way?
    I can't connect to any app that has bluetooth with the unit I bought yesterday... But I can on any old OS ipad....

    No... I just opened it and boom connected. Sorry you are having troubles.

  • edited August 13

    When I open that app, it sees my Nanokey immediately, I hit connect and it says connecting for about 1.5 seconds, then goes back to Not connected..... how annoying....

  • Mine connects with the app, but then a few minutes into a session my MiDI bindings don’t work because it has disconnected. Also on the latest ipados.

  • edited August 13

    I had that kind of issue a few months ago and updated the firmware, fixed it.

    https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/551/3100/

  • This firmware is from 2016, I tired to do it yesterday and it told me the unit already had 1.07 installed.

  • edited August 13

    Have you tried to forget NKS from Bluetooth devices and pairing it again? Also if it’s also paired with a Windows machine which is running, that will not allow to use it with iDevice, don’t know for macs.

  • @SonicNeutronic said:
    When I open that app, it sees my Nanokey immediately, I hit connect and it says connecting for about 1.5 seconds, then goes back to Not connected..... how annoying....

    That's exactly what was happening with mine. Try "forget this device" by pressing the "i" next to Nanokey Studio in the main bluetooth settings, and then connecting from any bluetooth midi app.

  • edited August 13

    Nanokey Studio actually does not show up in the main Bluetooth settings.....
    I only see it appear when using a Bluetooth Midi capable app.
    I have tried forgetting it there possibly 10 times.

    Just checked for sure on 3 PCS, and this unit is running 1.07 latest studio update and I have tried this on two separate updated Ipads with Ipad OS Beta 5 - and same exact set of results on both.

  • It should appear there:

  • edited August 13

    That's a picture of an iphone - My iphone can see it the same as yours.

    This issue is with ipad only running ipad OS BETA 5 and the unit does not show up in Bluetooth settings as above.

  • Ok sorry I forgot the initial post. Annoying if this bug stays on iPadOS and iOS13.

  • Did you try “Forget this device” on the old os iPad? Then turn of
    /on the NanoKey before connecting it to the iPadOS ipad.

  • I don't have an old ipad hanging around that might have been connected. But I did that on my iphone to be sure.
    Same issue, nothing has changed.
    I have tried forgetting the device anywhere I have seen it appear.

  • @SonicNeutronic said:
    I don't have an old ipad hanging around that might have been connected. But I did that on my iphone to be sure.
    Same issue, nothing has changed.
    I have tried forgetting the device anywhere I have seen it appear.

    There's also a way to do a 'factory reset' on the nanoKey Studio, it's a 'button press combination' but I've forgotten which buttons to hold while turning it on... (should be in the manual).

  • @Samu said:

    @SonicNeutronic said:
    I don't have an old ipad hanging around that might have been connected. But I did that on my iphone to be sure.
    Same issue, nothing has changed.
    I have tried forgetting the device anywhere I have seen it appear.

    There's also a way to do a 'factory reset' on the nanoKey Studio, it's a 'button press combination' but I've forgotten which buttons to hold while turning it on... (should be in the manual).

    I'll look it up and give it a try now....

  • @SonicNeutronic said:

    @Samu said:

    @SonicNeutronic said:
    I don't have an old ipad hanging around that might have been connected. But I did that on my iphone to be sure.
    Same issue, nothing has changed.
    I have tried forgetting the device anywhere I have seen it appear.

    There's also a way to do a 'factory reset' on the nanoKey Studio, it's a 'button press combination' but I've forgotten which buttons to hold while turning it on... (should be in the manual).

    I'll look it up and give it a try now....

  • Nope. Found it and performed the reset. Nothing changed in all symptoms.
    I had not made any changes from taking it from the box as brand new.
    The unit works fine over USB and also works no problem with iphone over bluetooth using gadget etc.

  • edited August 13

    I also just connected it no problem to my sons ipad over bluetooth running latest OS. Seamless as it should be....
    basically on ipad pro Ipad OS Beta, you never get the request to Pair when trying to connect.

  • @SonicNeutronic said:
    I also just connected it no problem to my sons ipad over bluetooth running latest OS. Seamless as it should be....
    basically on ipad pro Ipad OS Beta, you never get the request to Pair when trying to connect.

    So guess it's time to report a bug back to Apple then :)
    Who knows maybe the next beta will fix it...

  • @Samu said:

    @SonicNeutronic said:
    I also just connected it no problem to my sons ipad over bluetooth running latest OS. Seamless as it should be....
    basically on ipad pro Ipad OS Beta, you never get the request to Pair when trying to connect.

    So guess it's time to report a bug back to Apple then :)
    Who knows maybe the next beta will fix it...

    I was thinking of taking the easier path of returning it to Amazon and choosing something else..... ;) The unit isn't as robust in real life as it appears on Youtube videos - I'm sure it would be fine, but it feels like $130 worth of plastic not $200 worth (CDN)

    My LPD8 wireless still works no issue.

  • @SonicNeutronic said:
    Nanokey Studio actually does not show up in the main Bluetooth settings.....
    I only see it appear when using a Bluetooth Midi capable app.
    I have tried forgetting it there possibly 10 times.

    Hmm that's weird, if it appears in one it should also appear in the other.. maybe that's a iPad OS beta issue.

    Mine failed to connect to my iPad right after pairing it with my iMac, maybe it can only be paired with a few devices at a time.

  • @SonicNeutronic said:

    I was thinking of taking the easier path of returning it to Amazon and choosing something else..... ;) The unit isn't as robust in real life as it appears on Youtube videos - I'm sure it would be fine, but it feels like $130 worth of plastic not $200 worth (CDN)

    >

    Ok, I love mine as the 'feel' is somewhat similar to the keyboard on my Amiga so it brings back a lot of memories :)
    It's an awesome match for Gadget with decent default mappings for all of the Gadgets.

    When used outside Gadget I like fact that the knobs have different values mapped to each of the 8 scenes so I it's like 8 knobs per app that can be easily mapped and when changing apps just change the scene :)
    (Now if it was possible to map the 'scene switch' so it actually changed apps or opened a different AUv3 it would be even better).

    I'll play with mine until it breaks down, it takes a lot more beating than I initially thought it would handle :D

  • I'm not going to be finding out, Amazon accepted the return and it will be sat at the post office shortly. I went through every option to connect it and failed. I only need it for the wireless capabilities with my ipad pro for travel. Will revisit it another day after official OS released etc.

  • @Samu said:

    @SonicNeutronic said:

    I was thinking of taking the easier path of returning it to Amazon and choosing something else..... ;) The unit isn't as robust in real life as it appears on Youtube videos - I'm sure it would be fine, but it feels like $130 worth of plastic not $200 worth (CDN)

    >

    Ok, I love mine as the 'feel' is somewhat similar to the keyboard on my Amiga so it brings back a lot of memories :)
    It's an awesome match for Gadget with decent default mappings for all of the Gadgets.

    When used outside Gadget I like fact that the knobs have different values mapped to each of the 8 scenes so I it's like 8 knobs per app that can be easily mapped and when changing apps just change the scene :)
    (Now if it was possible to map the 'scene switch' so it actually changed apps or opened a different AUv3 it would be even better).

    I'll play with mine until it breaks down, it takes a lot more beating than I initially thought it would handle :D

    I feel the same about almost everything you mentioned there, and was the reason I bought it..... It just wont connect and both of my ipads are running the new beta cause I cant wait... lol....My other issue is the Studio Editing software refuses to install on my PC - something interrupts it every time so creating a whole load of scenes was also gonna be an issue.

    Although, these keys feel too spongy to be a match for my Amiga keys......I really like the scale modes on the Nano as I can't play so very useful.......

  • Since the OP resolved his issue with it, does anyone know how to force an update to the device?

    I've installed the latest USB driver: KORG_USB-MIDI_Driver_1_2_5_r2.dmg and the Nanokey is seen in various desktop DAW preferences, so I know it is installed.
    The problem is, the Nanokeystudio updater 1.07 will not detect the Nanokeystudio (probably because I can't get the device to go into update mode).
    1. I have the Nanokeystudio connected via USB cable and it's in USB mode.
    2. I have pressed the** octave - and sustain buttons at the same time. ** The trigger pads 1-4 should light up to go into update mode, but they don't. This is the problem. I have also tried octave + - and sustain at the same time. Is there any other way or trick to force the device to go into update mode? My trigger pads work fine, so I'm not sure why this isn't working?

  • @bounce said:

    >

    1. I have the Nanokeystudio connected via USB cable and it's in USB mode.
    2. I have pressed the** octave - and sustain buttons at the same time. ** The trigger pads 1-4 should light up to go into update mode, but they don't. This is the problem. I have also tried octave + - and sustain at the same time. Is there any other way or trick to force the device to go into update mode? My trigger pads work fine, so I'm not sure why this isn't working?

    Have the unit switched off. Then hold those two buttons, and switch it on to USB mode. It will go into Update mode.
    Mine has gone back...

  • Same problem here, remaining with dev beta 7. Neither iPhone nor iPad can connect, but fine on old iPhone running 12.4. USB to iPad working fine, via powered camera kit.

Sign In or Register to comment.