Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why has my iCA4+ interface become so quiet?

It's the same behaviour with every device that I plug into i, and when I plug those same devices into an alternative interface (PreSonus iTwo) then the volume from any device is normal -- can be cranked up to deafening. The iCA4+ is still extremely quiet even on maxed out volume. Previously, it was pretty much the same loudness as the PreSonus box.

I've explored the firmware/software config EXTENSIVELY and performed a factory reset on it. No change.

Anyone got any ideas? -- I don't have a clue!

Cheers,
Oscar

Comments

• Since the interface still seems to respond to communication and control, the digital control of analog signals might be out of order (or damaged in worst case).

Disconnect all USB cables and unplug the power supply. Capacitors inside the unit may store a significant amount of current over time, dunno their discharge rate, so try with 5-10 minutes before reconnecting power.
    If regular noise doesn't come back, do a 2nd try leaving it unpowered over night.
    Often a power cycle after complete internal discharge cures such strange problems.
    Just a guess by experience, though... best of luck.

• Will try this. Cheers for the advice.

The weird thing is that only outputs 1&2 are behaving this way. If 3&4 are configured to send the audio signal that would normally be going through 1&2, then the volume level will be normal.

In fact, I can configure outputs 1&2 to send out the exact same source with the exact same settings as 3&4 and the difference in volume level between these two sets of outputs will be massive.

• Turn knob on the front all the way to the right?

• @audiorangutan said:
    Turn knob on the front all the way to the right?

Not sure if this is a serious reply or not, but yeah tried that! It’s aftually a digital control so the dial is infinite and has a display to show current level — the volume parameter for the different outputs can be controlled via the front panel or through software.

• @OscarSouth said:
    It's the same behaviour with every device that I plug into i, and when I plug those same devices into an alternative interface (PreSonus iTwo) then the volume from any device is normal -- can be cranked up to deafening. The iCA4+ is still extremely quiet even on maxed out volume. Previously, it was pretty much the same loudness as the PreSonus box.

I've explored the firmware/software config EXTENSIVELY and performed a factory reset on it. No change.

Cheers,
    Oscar

can you send us the iconfig screenshot?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers,
    Oscar

These are the relevant parts. I tweak it pretty regularly so things are always changing, but this is the ‘snapshot’ I saved when performing a factory reset yesterday. I’m pretty sure myself that it’s not related to config as I’ve explored this deeply with lots of testing identical configs routed to 1&2 then 3&4 for comparison, plus factory resets, firmware updates etc etc.

• @OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers,
    Oscar

These are the relevant parts. I tweak it pretty regularly so things are always changing, but this is the ‘snapshot’ I saved when performing a factory reset yesterday. I’m pretty sure myself that it’s not related to config as I’ve explored this deeply with lots of testing identical configs routed to 1&2 then 3&4 for comparison, plus factory resets, firmware updates etc etc.

hey man, as a test what about moving either

USB2 1,2 to Analog mixer 1,2 or
    Analog 1,2 to analog mixer 1,2

?

Cheers T

• edited August 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers,
    Oscar

?

Cheers T

I'll test it out later today. I've run pretty much everything possible through 1&2 and then identically 3&4 (plugged into the same set of speakers by same cables) to try and get some insight though. Every time, 1&2 are quiet and 3&4 are loud (with identical output/volume settings).

Edit:
    Also, thinking about this more, analog in 1&2 through analog mixer 1&2 wouldn't do anything, as I'm not actually running anything through those inputs. Analog in 3&4 take a stereo pair of inputs from a second audio interface's outputs and rout that directly out of the main iCA 1&2 outputs.

• edited August 2019

@OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers,
    Oscar

?

I'll test it out later today. I've run pretty much everything possible through 1&2 and then identically 3&4 (plugged into the same set of speakers by same cables) to try and get some insight though. Every time, 1&2 are quiet and 3&4 are loud (with identical output/volume settings).

Edit:
    Also, thinking about this more, analog in 1&2 through analog mixer 1&2 wouldn't do anything, as I'm not actually running anything through those inputs. Analog in 3&4 take a stereo pair of inputs from a second audio interface's outputs and rout that directly out of the main iCA 1&2 outputs.

My thinking is if you plug a sound source in the analog 1,2 inputs you can test the analogue outputs 1,2 for volume as a test.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers,
    Oscar

?

Edit:

My thinking is if you plug a sound source in the analog 1 input you can test the analogue outputs 1,2 for volume as a test.

I can try that out, though I've done that pretty thoroughly using 3&4 as inputs (generating hard panned pitches and stuff on the secondary device and then routing them in through analog in 3&4 and testing with those tones).

• Mine seems to be broken. I found I‘d left it on for several weeks accidentally. Now it’s very quiet as well and every amp/fx sim sounds very bad. It seems to be somehow related to headphone output and 1 and 2 as well. When I half pull out the headphones it sounds pretty ok but mono of course. I‘m afraid it’s hardware but I’m not sure. Irig hd works fine, latest iOS...

• Just do as Trevor suggested: send a software source directly to output 1/2 and to output 1/3.
    If 1/2 remains silent (and it's not blocked by the 'internal hickup I mentioned above) then most likely the output converter said goodby.
    Shouldn't be too difficult to replace it, in case your unit is beyond warranty.

• edited August 2019

@Telefunky said:
    Just do as Trevor suggested: send a software source directly to output 1/2 and to output 1/3.
    If 1/2 remains silent (and it's not blocked by the 'internal hickup I mentioned above) then most likely the output converter said goodby.
    Shouldn't be too difficult to replace it, in case your unit is beyond warranty.

I've definitely done this test already and it's as you describe.

I've left the unit disconnected from power all night, I'll plug it in in a bit and see if anything's changed.

Thanks for the advice so far, to all -- I've learned insights that I wouldn't have discovered by myself.

• edited August 2019

@Munibeast said:
    Mine seems to be broken. I found I‘d left it on for several weeks accidentally. Now it’s very quiet as well and every amp/fx sim sounds very bad. It seems to be somehow related to headphone output and 1 and 2 as well. When I half pull out the headphones it sounds pretty ok but mono of course. I‘m afraid it’s hardware but I’m not sure. Irig hd works fine, latest iOS...

you wanna share your iconfig also? i love those iconfig matrix's hihi Did you try a hardware reset?

• @OscarSouth said:

@audiorangutan said:
    Turn knob on the front all the way to the right?

Not sure if this is a serious reply

Yes, serious. This caught me once when my outputs had turned way down for no apparent reason.
    But you sound much more experienced with this unit for the problem to be that simple. Good luck!

• Doing a bit of iCA4+ troubleshooting right now and I've learned that inputs 1+2 are Mic/Hi-Z inputs (high impedance), whereas inputs 3+4 are Mic/Line inputs. I think the difference is by design. Perhaps you balanced them by ear when you first got going, promptly forgot and then a factory reset made it difficult to find your way back to base camp?

Hope all's good anyhow.