PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

How Do You Mute, Unmute With Cubasis? ANSWERED

I have managed for a year plus not to mute in and out.... but now, I am kinda itching to do it. Using the mute and unmute always causes me problems with trying to do this with automation. Once muted the track never wants to go back! Thanks for your advice!

Comments

  • wimwim
    edited August 10

    Set a loop region, then press the tempo at the bottom of the pop-out you’ll see icons for in and out. Enable these. Place the playhead before your loop section and press record. Recording will start and stop at the beginning and end of the loop region.

    I can go into more detail if needed, but that’s pretty much all there is to it.

  • Thanks @wim. Can you do it on the fly?

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @wim. Can you do it on the fly?

    I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

  • edited August 10

    @wim, well, the track is going along playing piano and bass, say. At a certain point I want to add from a prerecorded drum track (but I don't want to plan it. Just in the moment). If I had the slider on the drums set to 0.00 with mute on, for example, if I could unmute the drums at just the moment I want and have the drums enter right then... that's what I am looking for.

  • If you mean, “Can I set/change the region while the song is playing back?”, the answer is yes.

  • wimwim
    edited August 10

    @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, well, the track is going along playing piano and bass, say. At a certain point I want to add from a prerecorded drum track (but I don't want to plan it. Just in the moment). If I had the slider on the drums set to 0.00 with mute on, for example, if I could unmute the drums at just the moment I want and have the drums enter right then... that's what I am looking for.

    Oh. I thought you meant punch-in recording. Nevermind then.
    Someone with more experience in Cubasis than I have will probably have to answer that one.

  • @wim said:
    If you mean, “Can I set/change the region while the song is playing back?”, the answer is yes.

    Yes! How do I do That? Isn’t that punch in recording?

  • wimwim
    edited August 10

    @LinearLineman said:

    @wim said:
    If you mean, “Can I set/change the region while the song is playing back?”, the answer is yes.

    Yes! How do I do That? Isn’t that punch in recording?

    lol. I’m totally confused. :D

    I think you’re talking about having something such as Soft Drummer running, but not making sound except when when you decide it should during a certain part of a song. That’s not at all what I’m talking about, and has nothing to do with recording. That’s just playback.

    Punch-in recording is saying “In this region that I’ve set up, when I press record, only record what I’m doing during this section.” Then you move the playhead to before that section and press record. You can play prior to the punch-in point but it will only start actually recording when it hits the punch-in point, and will stop recording at the punch out point.

    Maybe you do want to actually record an audio clip of Soft Drummer (or whatever) at that point in the song? If so, then yes, you could do it this way. And yes, you could adjust the punch-in and punch-out region on the fly. But you’d need to be thinking ahead. You can’t, for instance, decide when you’re already at point A to just start it recording. You need to set the region before the playhead gets there. Punch-in Recording isn’t really meant for on-the-fly use, but it can be done.

    But I think what you’re looking for is simply muting and unmuting a track at certain points in the song as you go. That ain’t punch-in recording.

  • @LinearLineman maybe you mean a clip launcher?

  • @wim, sorry for my ignorance. Yes, I want to mute and I mute a track. How do I do that, please?

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, sorry for my ignorance. Yes, I want to mute and I mute a track. How do I do that, please?

    Heh, heh :D Sorry, I wasn’t complaining, just trying to get to the real question. B)

    Now that what you want to do is more clear, I think others with better knowledge of Cubasis will jump in and give you better answers.

    Cheers Mate!

  • You could try automating the volume fader movement on drum loop. Or you could record the drum loop track to another audio track while your moving the fader in realtime.

  • wimwim
    edited August 10

    I don’t really see how what is described as needed is anything more complicated than using the mute and unmute button at the side of every track. So, I’m sure I’m still missing something here.

  • @wim, my problem is that when I mute a track during automation with Cubasis the track stays muted and will not unmute. I have fucked up many tracks accidentally hitting mute. Sometimes undo fixes it and sometimes not! But it never seems to work as simply as it should and as you describe.

  • Oh, OK. I’m into things I know too little about then. -cheers.

  • Thanks, @wim. I edited the post title to try and be clearer.

  • edited August 10

    @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, my problem is that when I mute a track during automation with Cubasis the track stays muted and will not unmute.

    I just tested it.. The mute/unmute automation works fine for me. Make sure the mute option is selected in the automation menu and the write button is enabled. Then hit record and mute and unmute on your track at will. See my screenshot below. If that’s not what you’re trying to do I’m probably missing something here.

  • Thank you @_mwallace! I was missing the automation mute/unmute part. That makes sense.
    Forum members come thru, as always!

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @_mwallace! I was missing the automation mute/unmute part. That makes sense.
    Forum members come thru, as always!

    Cool, happy I was able to help.

  • @_mwallace said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    @wim, my problem is that when I mute a track during automation with Cubasis the track stays muted and will not unmute.

    I just tested it.. The mute/unmute automation works fine for me. Make sure the mute option is selected in the automation menu and the write button is enabled. Then hit record and mute and unmute on your track at will. See my screenshot below. If that’s not what you’re trying to do I’m probably missing something here.

    To record Automation, you just have to press Play with Write mode on while you use controls to record automation or you can draw manually. To play back Automation, the Read mode should be on.

  • @MobileMusic said:
    To record Automation, you just have to press Play with Write mode on while you use controls to record automation or you can draw manually. To play back Automation, the Read mode should be on.

    Good to know. Thanks. Same result, but recording automation with Play Instead of Record is a little easier on the nerves.

  • @MobileMusic, that is the obvious solution. But when I do that the track freezes in mute mode. Don't know why,

  • edited August 11

    @_mwallace said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    To record Automation, you just have to press Play with Write mode on while you use controls to record automation or you can draw manually. To play back Automation, the Read mode should be on.

    Good to know. Thanks. Same result, but recording automation with Play Instead of Record is a little easier on the nerves.

    Yeah, Automation does not record any material on to audio or MIDI tracks (records data separately on automation tracks) as per the tutorial and using Play is adequate -

    HTH

  • edited August 11

    @LinearLineman said:
    @MobileMusic, that is the obvious solution. But when I do that the track freezes in mute mode. Don't know why,

    You can use the Play button and tap on Mute button in the Track arranger/Mixer (see the video above on Automation showing Mute automation) or simply draw automation in the editor by tapping Draw item on the left and placing a couple of points in the graphic editor where Mute should be on and off and it works (use can do manual playhead scrubbing to locate those points) . Mute has only either on (top of the editor) and off (bottom of the editor) and easy to use.

Sign In or Register to comment.