Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patch Base vs. MIDISynth Control for Circuit?

Just got a used Novation Circuit and trying to decide whether to get either of these apps, but there's not much info out there about them. Both seem to support creating and managing custom synth patches, and both seem not to support managing samples. It's unclear if either support saving/loading entire packs.

The lack of sample management has me leaning toward just continuing to use the web interface (my main machine is Linux, so I'm pretty surprised and happy this is even an option at all!). But the web interface isn't great and I usually have my iPad incorporated in my music setup but not my laptop, so something on iOS might be better.

Has anyone used Patch Base and/or MIDISynth Control for managing patches/packs on Circuit? Would love to hear some feedback, if so!

Comments

• edited August 2019

Patch Base 💯 I use it for a bunch of synths. Easy to use, iCloud syncing, perfect. Got a Circuit when Patch Base started supporting it.

It supports sysex banks and individual syx patch files.

• I see the Patch Base Circuit IAP is 30 bucks which gives me pause, but then my Circuit ust sits silently so it may be worth thirty to get it singing again. Any current thoughts on Patch Base (or indeed MIDISynth Control)?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I see the Patch Base Circuit IAP is 30 bucks which gives me pause, but then my Circuit ust sits silently so it may be worth thirty to get it singing again. Any current thoughts on Patch Base (or indeed MIDISynth Control)?

How much is the MIDISynth Control IAP? I think I bought the app when it was a Circuit only app and then at some point the app was updated and I think I had to send the dev my receipt to get an unlock for what was now a Circuit IAP (or something like that).

• @AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I see the Patch Base Circuit IAP is 30 bucks which gives me pause, but then my Circuit ust sits silently so it may be worth thirty to get it singing again. Any current thoughts on Patch Base (or indeed MIDISynth Control)?

How much is the MIDISynth Control IAP? I think I bought the app when it was a Circuit only app and then at some point the app was updated and I think I had to send the dev my receipt to get an unlock for what was now a Circuit IAP (or something like that).

I don't know my friend I'm afraid. I already own the MIDI-Synth Circuit, I just can't tell you a ) what I paid for it and b) how it is (because I've never used it.....sigh)

• edited January 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I don't know my friend I'm afraid. I already own the MIDI-Synth Circuit, I just can't tell you a ) what I paid for it and b) how it is (because I've never used it.....sigh)

@AndyPlankton may have insight for you...

• edited January 2020

MidiSynth Control is $12.99 I believe but I bought it thinking it supported drum samples but it doesn't or I couldn't figure it out.

Patch Base only supports both synths.

• I'd stick with MSC since you have it. I'm [foolishly?] hoping Novation will support iOS natively. It sounds like it was a surprise to them that there wasn't a Web MIDI-capable iOS browser. Hopefully they'll spit out an app.

• A few days ago I moved my Circuit from over there beside the telly to over here on one arm of the settee.

It’s getting slightly closer to being switched on someday soon, first time this year. If you include last year too, and the year before that.

• @u0421793 said:
    A few days ago I moved my Circuit from over there beside the telly to over here on one arm of the settee.

It’s getting slightly closer to being switched on someday soon, first time this year. If you include last year too, and the year before that.

:smiley:

• @SpookyZoo said:

@u0421793 said:
    A few days ago I moved my Circuit from over there beside the telly to over here on one arm of the settee.

:smiley:

Yup. That's one of my faves as well :)

• @AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

MIDISynth Control works well as a synth editor, but doesn’t manage samples. Components is still the only real way to manage the device properly, and the synth editor in components is better imho, albeit multi page and not single page like MSC.

MSC does have some useful additional IAP modules, a randomiser and also can be used to sync circuit to link (if you don’t have MIDI clock from your apps)
    Not sure on price of the modules...and don’t know if the cross grade from MIDI synth circuit was time limited or not.

I only really use the functions that were available in the original MIDISynth Circuit and use the save functions on the device itself instead of those in the app. I fire up my old laptop for components now and again when I want to save actual presets instead of just saving them within the sessions.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

MIDISynth Control works well as a synth editor, but doesn’t manage samples. Components is still the only real way to manage the device properly, and the synth editor in components is better imho, albeit multi page and not single page like MSC.

MSC does have some useful additional IAP modules, a randomiser and also can be used to sync circuit to link (if you don’t have MIDI clock from your apps)
    Not sure on price of the modules...and don’t know if the cross grade from MIDI synth circuit was time limited or not.

I only really use the functions that were available in the original MIDISynth Circuit and use the save functions on the device itself instead of those in the app. I fire up my old laptop for components now and again when I want to save actual presets instead of just saving them within the sessions.

Thank you Captain Plank!

• Does Midisynthcontrol App work with Circuit Tracks just tried connecting no joy ?

• I have just released a new Novation Circuit Patch Editor that supports both OG Circuit and Circuit Tracks.
    Since the editor is based on touchOSC, it is available on all major platforms, including IOS.
    Click here for more information and here to go to the store (you can also download a demo first)

• edited January 10

I an just support this editor by @schulzki - it's really amazing, best Circuit editor i ever had.

Patch Base doesn't support new model "Circuit Tracks", just old Circuit, i wrote email to them probably year ago asking about possible update to compatibility with Tracks , but reply was this is unlikely to happen...