Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Long term community project idea: Korg iWavestation – The Good Parts

It occurs to me now and then that the iWavestation is possibly the best synth that ever existed and ever needs to exist. Of course, this is simply untrue, unless one were to include features and architecture from the Yamaha SY77 family, and also the Yamaha FS1R. However, even without those vital ingredients, it’s fairly useful to have and has an important history.

The thing about the Wavestation is that it came at a time when digital synth designers were technical and nerdy whilst UX people hadn’t got there yet, so products were released with the typical techie attitude of giving all and every possibility to the consumer thinking that they’d be grateful.

What I’m suggesting is a project among the community of iWavestation (and possibly real wavestation) users to restrict and limit the synth to a sensible core set of possibilities which if worked within produce a very versatile yet easier to understand synth.

My own suggestion:
In the case of the iWavestation/Wavestation, and for the sake of synthesis, I myself would suggest not having anything to do with the samples, and only stick to the wavetables intended for actual sound synthesis itself.

There’s loads of other architectural considerations I might also suggest, involving cutting away features and possibilities, to make the synth more understandable. The fact is, it does too much, just because it can. It would be a far better synth if it could do less.

What would you suggest?

Comments

• How about some challenges? Throw an idea out there with limitations like you mention, then challenge people to make their best patch and explain the reasoning and method behind it.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2019

IWaveStation has presets to die for. It's still an IAA app so there's that. 50% off NOW.

• If only more of it could be modulated by Gadget...

Right now it’s just the mod wheel and a few things you can map to the joy stick.

• As much as I love iwavestation, it sits collecting digital dust.

not only is it stuck in the IAA/Gadget world, not likely ever to make it to the Auv3 standard, but I find the interface to be very frustrating to work with. And for how involved it is, I find the lack of user samples to be incredibly silly.

• I wouldn't say it's stuck in the gadget world, I'd say it's a great part of gadget world...a very productive, stable environment that deserves praise for how good it is.

I just got iwavestation, but I'm deff following this thread and hope to participate in whatever comes up!

• CF3CF3
    edited August 2019

iWavestation is definitely one of my favorites. I actually think Korg did a great job on the UI. Especially compared to the OG hardware (which I use also). I love that you can load sysex files!

My main gripe with the app (besides no AU) is the tempo control. Its near impossible to set a specific value. It’s quite maddening. Also wish you could use it as a vocoder like Wavestation AD. So many unique functions centered around the vocoder.

Not really sure how it can be cut down and still be the Wavestation? At that point it would be a Prophet VS.

• The tempo thing was sorta fixed work the last update. The trick is to set it to MIDI in and then set tempo in the IAA host. It finally works reliably!

• YA @CF3 compared to the hardware.... The software iOS version is really damn good

• It’s not really a suggestion to change anything about iWavestation, more a guide as to what to ignore.

• Funny, I like all the parts you say to ignore.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    If only more of it could be modulated by Gadget...

Right now it’s just the mod wheel and a few things you can map to the joy stick.

Can’t map modwheel unfortunately. Wish we could, cause modwheel in turn can be assigned to a lot of parameters in iWavestation.

@CF3 I have no problem setting a specific tempo. Scroll until you’re close, then use the flick gesture.

I understand @u0421793 it can be a bit too much with all the layers, etc.
    For instance the fx routing with the busses, not something you see in every synth. But can be just the thing someone needs for a specific sound.

Overall, for less experienced users I would advice to experiment with changing (swapping) the wavesequences in the parts. There’s 32 wavesequences on every card. Change the loop section, volume, pitch, note delay, etc. All of that can also be done in Gadget.
    This can give nice results. Better than the ‘random’ button.