Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad /live loop style looper with AUV3

Are there any launchpad style looper apps on iPhone that allow auv3 effects to be loaded on the channel strips other than GarageBand?

Comments

• @annahahn said:
    Are there any launchpad style looper apps on iPhone that allow auv3 effects to be loaded on the channel strips other than GarageBand?

Not really, all the possible solutions are more or less workarounds. You can either use some sampler which can do looping, e.g. Beathawk and load one instance per channel. Because AUv3 plugins have limit on memory and BeatHawk (and samples itself) are pretty memory hungry, you can quickly get crashes.
    Then there’s Beatmaker3 that can also do timestretch and looping, but does not do note latching, but you can use Miditools app that provides this (at least I hope it still works after some not-so-well-played updates of BM3)
    Then there’s Loopy which you can feed into Audiobus as separate channels, but you’re limited to 12 loops and in general Loopy is more oriented to live recording and layering it.
    Then I know there’s an app called Group the loop, I haven’t tried it and not sure if you can route separate channels into audiobus to add AU effects, but it’s worth investigating.

But definitely not something as straightforward as Launchpad app with support for AU effects, unfortunately, it’s a huge gap on the market...

• edited August 2019

Then I know there’s an app called Group the loop, I haven’t tried it and not sure if you can route separate channels into audiobus to add AU effects, but it’s worth investigating.

Routing not possible but it has AUv3 fx support by clip...

Different workflow more song based than remixing like Launchpad. Maybe BM3?

• edited August 2019

Also LoopyHD with recipes touch control could be a 12 sclip solution and create pseudo song parts launching. There is a topic on using touch enabled key/midi recipes which can map any part of the screen for a single midi/key input command. Use it on dedicated devices for AB remote and you will have full remote control (and row launch) with full hands on control in the original device...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Also LoopyHD with recipes touch control could be a 12 sclip solution and create pseudo song parts launching. There is a topic on using touch enabled key/midi recipes which can map any part of the screen for a single midi/key input command. Use it on dedicated devices for AB remote and you will have full remote control (and row launch) with full hands on control in the original device...

This method is cool, thanks for mentioning it. but it is a hack of an accessibilities feature that might take a lot of time to figure out. Before trying this with Loopy HD I would recommend setting up Loopy HD to be controlled by a MIDI app like Lemur or MIDI Designer Pro. Same end-result but should be a lot easier to set up.

• Stagelight ,but haven’t use it on iPhone .

• @Hmtx said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

This method is cool, thanks for mentioning it. but it is a hack of an accessibilities feature that might take a lot of time to figure out. Before trying this with Loopy HD I would recommend setting up Loopy HD to be controlled by a MIDI app like Lemur or MIDI Designer Pro. Same end-result but should be a lot easier to set up.

IDK how hard is midi designer pro but Lemur is by far harder to set than these workaround for sure. Also extra app stealing precious cpu cycles meanwhile accessibility hack
    is system itself :wink:
    Of course not the same flexibility/possible drawbacks but difficult to setup will not be the proper criteria IMHO... just to set the lemur interface is pita, that hack is trial and error. The easiest could be GTL and set AUfx in each clip but again less control than AB3/AUM setup. I think it's more a matter of workflow/needs than a issue with apps. I don't need dedicated outputs or AUfx in my own... but I see lots of users going that path so I suggested @jmarshallgtl porting GTL to AUv3.

@Korakios said:
    Stagelight ,but haven’t use it on iPhone .

I'm not sure about the midi implementation for clip launching... Every time I say this someone corrects me so maybe it's done and it will be a perfect solution. I have a lot of hope in it and sooner than later it will be the Launchpad on steroids pseudo AbletiOS...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

I'm not sure about the midi implementation for clip launching... Every time I say this someone corrects me so maybe it's done and it will be a perfect solution. I have a lot of hope in it and sooner than later it will be the Launchpad on steroids pseudo AbletiOS...

It’s a simple midi CC (not midi Notes) implementation, working :)
    Strangely you have to assign an individual CC to record for each clip . I could dig more ,but I’m waiting for fixing some other stuff to actually use it .

• edited September 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    IDK how hard is midi designer pro but Lemur is by far harder to set than these workaround for sure. Also extra app stealing precious cpu cycles meanwhile accessibility hack

Right, i mentioned Lemur because I know it is popular but i don’t have Lemur ( never bought it primarily because the programming seemed like a pain).

MIDI Designer Pro would be relatively easy to set up group actions for Loopy’s tracks. My Loopy HD template is on the MIDI Designer website. Its just a controller template, not designed to mimic launchpad style workflows. [edit: link below in spoiler]

Another option is MIDIFlow, an app I own but have hardly used. You could set a note trigger to duplicate or transpose to mute/unmute multiple Loopy HD tracks. This option seems like the most efficient on CPU if that is important.

Alright, here’s my MIDI Designer template for Loopy HD. It works... but its really old, and doesn’t really fit my workflow. https://mididesigner.com/qa/1875/loopy-hd-controller-for-second-ipad Now the disclaimers: It is time-consuming to map all these MIDI bindings in Loopy HD. you can’t just load a file with all the MIDI bindings already made. Ideally you would use two iPads, one with the MDPro template up, and another receiving the messages in Loopy HD and setting the correct bindings by MIDI learn one at a time. Also you would need to know exactly which controls in MDPro send the actual MIDI message. And what exact Loopy HD binding you want to set. Anyway, any of you are welcome to tinker with it for inspiration, but unfortunately I don’t really have the time to provide any support for this... so, have fun 😬

• @Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

Strangely you have to assign an individual CC to record for each clip . I could dig more ,but I’m waiting for fixing some other stuff to actually use it .

It's still like that? I hope soon midi notes are implemented so clip launching (and recording from foot controllers) could be more straightforward with regular controllers (where buttons are often midi notes)

@Hmtx said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Right, i mentioned Lemur because I know it is popular but i don’t have Lemur ( never bought it primarily because the programming seemed like a pain).

MIDI Designer Pro would be relatively easy to set up group actions for Loopy’s tracks. My Loopy HD template is on the MIDI Designer website. Its just a controller template, not designed to mimic launchpad style workflows.

Another option is MIDIFlow, an app I own but have hardly used. You could set a note trigger to duplicate or transpose to mute/unmute multiple Loopy HD tracks. This option seems like the most efficient on CPU if that is important.

Link to that template should be posted every time you talk about it dawn!
    Also any link to Launchpad like template will be helpful. This issue seems common for most iOS users and still nobody find THE solution. Shame.

I supposed midi designer is affordable from learning curve, Lemur never wasn't. Too much power but required dedicated layout manager to get all the profit I think...

midiflow yes! I made some test but my crappy foot controller sent irregular midi messaging and had bad behavior so I desisted...

@annahahn said:

What's your deeply need? How is your workflow? Maybe is another workaround...

• edited September 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    Link to that template should be posted every time you talk about it dawn!

Roger that, MIDI Designer template link added to my post above [and link now fixed 4sep2019 but hidden in a spoiler, with reasons explained there]

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

It's still like that? I hope soon midi notes are implemented so clip launching (and recording from foot controllers) could be more straightforward with regular controllers (where buttons are often midi notes)

Me too and hopefully SL will send the status of the clips via midi to the controller.
    But the OP didn’t mention any hardware so I think SL is the best option

• So, some kind of 1010music Blackbox as an app? Would be amazing!!!!

• Thanks guys for being yourselves <3

• edited September 2019

Korg Gadget? Looks exactly structurally like 1010music Blackbox...