Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FM Player 2: Classic DXII + AU - OFFICIALLY OUT NOW!

Comments

• It has a lush sound palette to play with. Am really enjoying working with it.
    There’s a lot can be done, especially with the sequencer.
    Can’t believe it’s free too!
    Thanks @analog_matt for this little beauty!
    🙏

• WOW! + WOW!! Tone for days... couldn’t even wait to listen to this with my Sony MDR 7506’s and just plugged in some generic earbuds.. unbelievably rich sound.. I could easily live inside these gorgeous gardens for some time 😀

@analog_matt Congrats on this shiny new labor of love ❤️ definitely a new favourite!
    Hmmm.. t-shirt or mug? That is the question..

• edited August 2019

If people like the sounds, there was a lot of working put into this by several people. I'm not asking for any money. But, if you want to donate to the AudioKit project, that will help. 🙏

All the money goes right to the project without Apple taking 30% 😇. Stick it to the man:
    https://paypal.me/audiokit

• edited August 2019

@StudioES said:
    Such a beautiful sounding instrument. Cannot believe it's still free. Thank you!
    Am curious about the recording/sampling process though. The DX7II was/is quite thin and brittle sounding, so how does FM Player sound much thicker and fuller? Curious about post-processing of the samples you used. Thanks again.

Ohhh, great question.

There's a few things that went into this that I believe provide a little extra mojo:

(1) I recorded some of these sounds through a real vintage telefunken pre-amp to analog tape. This was done with the help of a buddy of mine in Denver, who has a reel-to-reel and converted the sounds from tape down to wave for me. (pic below)
    (2) I refused to use any kind of noise reduction. Some other sample/VST makers told me I needed to do that for "pristine" samples. Well, when I did that, the samples sounded pretty lifeless to me. Might as well use an emulator if that's what you want. There was no character. No soul. There's real analog noise in FM Player 2. There's some rough edges. And, I think it's beautiful.
    (3) The board itself is something special. This particular DX7II was used on some popular albums. The actual sounds you're hearing in FM Player 2 are from the exact unit used on records - Same outputs, same sparkle. If you're bored, here's more info about the synth and recording:

Really, this unit sounded so good, that I had to make FM Player and get it out to people. It seemed like my obligation as the synth's current caretaker. Anyone on this forum could make samples that sound just as good.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sounds great @analog_matt top work!

On my 2018 iPad I can't seem to use more than one instance at once in AudioBus or AUM. Adding a second instance causes them both to fail.

Is this expected at this time in the beta?

• edited August 2019

Talks internally about software and at Imsta Festa (music software manufacturer organization), my fellow developers strongly recommend that music software shouldn't always be free. And, even open-source projects should charge to keep things sustainable.

Here's what we voted on –
    • Synth One will ALWAYS be completely free & open-source

• FM Player 2 will be free to the 100k+ musicians that downloaded FM Player for free (i.e. All of you).

• After next week, new users can pay a small fee ($2.99) for FM Player 2. Keeping it under $5 seems like a good compromise to keep it in reach of all musicians and still raise money for AudioKit. 👍

If you know someone that loves DX7 sounds and can not afford $2.99, you can have them email me and I'll send them a promo code.

Doug is doing a live stream on FM PLAYER 2 here shortly (3pm EST, 8pm UK). I'll be on to answer any questions!

• Live stream now!

• Sounds great, thanks Matt (and Doug of course)!!

• @analog_matt said:

There's a few things that went into this that I believe provide a little extra mojo:

(1) I recorded some of these sounds through a real vintage telefunken pre-amp to analog tape. This was done with the help of a buddy of mine in Denver, who has a reel-to-reel and converted the sounds from tape down to wave from me. (pic below)

good choice B)
    I've had a rack version of the DX-7 mkII (TX802)... unfortunately sold it before an IOS editor appeared. As mentioned in your video, they are a serious challenge to program, in particular when stacking sounds (as was usually done with the TX816 during the 80s).
    That unit was 8 DX-7 modules in one rack and entirely controlled by midi.
    Your patches feature this stucture and are a valid approach to tame that beast. :+1:

I still remember the plain output of the TX802 as very impressive - and I'll keep my desktop TX-7 forever because it's so amazing what small tweaks can achieve, let alone combined with a good delay and/or reverb unit.
    My patience complies with single voice design, but 8 of them would be simply over the top... :D

• This thing sounds terrific, @analog_matt!

• @analog_matt, could not agree more with a small price for these terrific tools.

• @analog_matt said:

It's an upgrade. Is there something in FM Player 2 that you don't like?

Just finished ripping through the presets and twiggling some new self-made patches til I had to soak my fingers in a bucket of ice, I LOVE FM Player 2 more than my wife after a makeover and 2 new puppies!!!

• Will there be a new ROM cards in the future here as well just like D1?

I have too many FM synths, but I don't mind more. 😁

• It's out now.

But the description reads like IAA may be gone, while this is not explicitly stated.

Could you clarify, @analog_matt

• Best free synth on IOS. Better than lot of paid synths. Magical sounds.

• @analog_matt I'm absolutely floored by the stunning sounds in FMP 2.

Amazing job!

• An effort should have been made to preserve previously created user patches. I dislike discovering that hours of work have disappeared. Extremely disappointed.

• Thanks for this new version man!

• Yes!!!!!!!! Its here, auv3, loving it so much!!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁

• @tjporter said:
    An effort should have been made to preserve previously created user patches. I dislike discovering that hours of work have disappeared. Extremely disappointed.

Did it delete your User bank?

The presets in there should have been preserved from FM Player 1 & the FM2 Beta. 😳

• BTW,

Great patches by @gmslayton and @Spidericemidas in the release.

Free Banks from JEC and @brice coming soon!

• @analog_matt said:
    BTW,

Great patches by @gmslayton and @Spidericemidas in the release.

Free Banks from JEC and @brice coming soon!

I think @Spidericemidas may have been on holiday at the shore recently...

• @analog_matt What's about this?!?

@tja said:
    It's out now.

But the description reads like IAA may be gone, while this is not explicitly stated.

• edited August 2019

@tja said:
    @analog_matt What's about this?!?

@tja said:
    It's out now.

We're phasing IAA out of AudioKit apps and beefing up and improving our AUv3 support/functionality. From information we have received, this is something developers should do sooner than later. And, we want to facilitate that with the Audiokit framework. We're working behind the scenes on improving AUv3 support as I type this...

IAA still works in FM Player 2. The tip is to launch the stand alone and have it running when you add it as IAA to your host, though.

• @analog_matt said:

@tja said:

@tja said:
    It's out now.

We're phasing IAA out of AudioKit apps and beefing up and improving our AUv3 support/functionality. From information we have received, this is something developers should do sooner than later. And, we want to facilitate that with the Audiokit framework. We're working behind the scenes on improving AUv3 support as I type this...

Thanks.

But IAA is not yet removed, so I can update the App?

• Happy to report a smooth update with everything carried over.

Many thanks @analog_matt and congrats on the release. Happy days! 👊😎

• @tja said:

@analog_matt said:

@tja said:

@tja said:
    It's out now.

Thanks.

IAA is not removed yet. But, I suspect it will be by this time next year.

• tjatja
    edited August 2019

@analog_matt said:

@tja said:

@analog_matt said:

@tja said:

@tja said:
    It's out now.

Thanks.

IAA is not removed yet. But, I suspect it will be by this time next year.

Thanks for the information.

But it's a horrifying information!
    I am starting to reserve one iPad for an update-stop.

• Oh yeah, sweet sweet fine tuning!