Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MIDI "Mute": Best Hack?

Comments

• Hmm, i understood ‚call‘ as a language keyword like if, else, endif, while, repeat and not like a Mozaic function or command.

So i re-consulted the omniscient Mozazic v1.3 manual and you are indeed right: ‚Call’ needs to be capitalized :)

• Hm strange, I realy observed that behavior with some scripts.

Call me OCD, you all know what happened with that guy that wore suspenders and a belt.

Que: mononoke spaghetti western sound...
    ;)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    AB3 has a handy "bypass" control that effectively acts as a MIDI "mute", which I prefer to audio mutes because it allows for nice clean transitions. Unfortunately, AUM doesn't have the same--what are the quickest/easiest hacks for creating a MIDI mute hack for AUM?

It already does? If you bypass a MIDI node (swipe it to the left), it will send a note off for any currently sounding notes, and stop sending until you un-bypass it.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    AB3 has a handy "bypass" control that effectively acts as a MIDI "mute", which I prefer to audio mutes because it allows for nice clean transitions. Unfortunately, AUM doesn't have the same--what are the quickest/easiest hacks for creating a MIDI mute hack for AUM?

It already does? If you bypass a MIDI node (swipe it to the left), it will send a note off for any currently sounding notes, and stop sending until you un-bypass it.

I meant using a MIDI controller, although I can see now that I failed to state that explicitly! And my understanding is that the swipe left in AUM is not controllable through a MIDI binding, correct?

• Thank you for the forethought, @brambos and @j_liljedahl - it appears you developers are staying ahead of us users!

• Midi control of the swipe would solve this.

• @Alfred said:
    This does not work when your keyboard sends noteOn with velocity 0 as a noteOff.
    I think only my DeepMind and Seaboard send true noteOff with velocity. All the other ones I have do the noteOn with velocity 0. This is because it saves one byte, the status byte does not have to be resent. So you can get a 33% data reduction.

I'm always tempted to include the 0x80, velocity zero check as I originally thought the same. But I force myself to trust the Bos. ;)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I meant using a MIDI controller, although I can see now that I failed to state that explicitly! And my understanding is that the swipe left in AUM is not controllable through a MIDI binding, correct?

That's correct. I'll look into that.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Thank you! This would be huge!

• What’s the easiest way to record and loop midi mutes or bypass on off in Aum?

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    What’s the easiest way to record and loop midi mutes or bypass on off in Aum?

Do you mean recording the resulting audio? That should just be a matter of arming the track and hitting record.
    Or do you mean recording the MIDI messages you're sending from a MIDI controller? There's no MIDI recording in AUM, so you'd need to use some other plugin or app to record and play back those MIDI messages.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Do you mean recording the resulting audio? That should just be a matter of arming the track and hitting record.
    Or do you mean recording the MIDI messages you're sending from a MIDI controller? There's no MIDI recording in AUM, so you'd need to use some other plugin or app to record and play back those MIDI messages.

Thanks J!
    I meant the later option.
    What’s recommended as a midi recorder for recording the bypass on/off midi command.

I will try now Atom recording and playing notes Generated by KB-1 drum pads controlling bypass on off.

It should work.

• The problem you may run into is that Atom is strictly a looper, and you can’t stop it from looping via midi. So, you will need to have long patterns, or trigger playback from the interface.

On the other hand, you do have the option to drastically slow down the playback tempo, so long patterns are possible.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Thanks J!
    I meant the later option.
    What’s recommended as a midi recorder for recording the bypass on/off midi command.

The bypass on/off MIDI command can be whatever MIDI message you've mapped it to: note ons, CCs, or ProgramChange. So anything that can record the kind of message you're using will work.

• @wim said:
    The problem you may run into is that Atom is strictly a looper, and you can’t stop it from looping via midi. So, you will need to have long patterns, or trigger playback from the interface.

On the other hand, you do have the option to drastically slow down the playback tempo, so long patterns are possible.

True I can’t stop 🛑 but I can bypass it 🔘⚪️

• @wim said:

@Alfred said:
    This does not work when your keyboard sends noteOn with velocity 0 as a noteOff.
    I think only my DeepMind and Seaboard send true noteOff with velocity. All the other ones I have do the noteOn with velocity 0. This is because it saves one byte, the status byte does not have to be resent. So you can get a 33% data reduction.

I'm always tempted to include the 0x80, velocity zero check as I originally thought the same. But I force myself to trust the Bos. ;)

Hi @wim
    Hope all is well by your side.

I just used your script “midi channel mute v1.0”
    Hoping it would mute with note off to avoid hanging notes.
    Somehow your script wasn’t working well. It Probably joined channels and made things out of notes.
    the other simple midi mute script that worked well Only had hanging notes when muting:

@Description
    Pad Lit = send MIDI Thru
    Pad Not Lit = mute MIDI
    @End

@OnLoad

if Unassigned init
    init = TRUE
    FillArray ch, TRUE, 16
    for pad = 0 to 15
    LabelPad pad, {Ch. }, (pad + 1)
    LatchPad pad, TRUE
    endfor
    endif

ShowLayout 2

@End

@OnPadDown
    ch[LastPad] = NOT ch[LastPad]
    LatchPad LastPad, ch[LastPad]
    @End

@OnMidiInput
    if ch[MIDIChannel] = TRUE
    SendMIDIThru
    endif
    @End

• The one you posted above doesn't have stuck-note prevention. I posted a later one for you earlier in the thread that should have stuck note prevention. Have you tried that one? If so, what specific problems are you having with it? Here it is again for convenience:

@Description
    Pad Lit = send MIDI Thru
    Pad Not Lit = mute MIDI
    Muting a channel will send Note-OFF for any playing notes.
    @End

@OnLoad

if Unassigned init
        init = TRUE
        FillArray ch, TRUE, 16
        for pad = 0 to 15
          LatchPad pad, TRUE
        endfor  
      endif

ResetNoteStates FALSE

ShowLayout 2

@End

@OnPadDown

if ch[LastPad] = FALSE
       for note = 0 to 127
         if (GetNoteState LastPad, note) = TRUE
           SendMIDINoteOff LastPad, note, 0, (Random 0, 5)
           //Random delay is for some hosts that don't like too many simultaneous events

SetNoteState LastPad, note, FALSE 
         endif
       endfor
     endif

@End

@OnMidiInput
        SendMIDIThru
      endif

//Track Note ON/OFF
      if MIDICommand = 0x90 //Note-ON
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote, TRUE
      elseif MIDICommand = 0x80 //Note-OFF
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote, FALSE
      endif 
    @End

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

MIDI control of a swipe left and a swipe right would be awesome.

• @hypnopad said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

MIDI control of a swipe left and a swipe right would be awesome.

This is already in the latest AUM version on AppStore! It's called "bypass" for each node.

• Watch this space for more MUTE MADNESS coming soon!

• @wim said:
    The one you posted above doesn't have stuck-note prevention. I posted a later one for you earlier in the thread that should have stuck note prevention. Have you tried that one? If so, what specific problems are you having with it? Here it is again for convenience:

@Description
    Pad Lit = send MIDI Thru
    Pad Not Lit = mute MIDI
    Muting a channel will send Note-OFF for any playing notes.
    @End

@OnLoad

if Unassigned init
        init = TRUE
        FillArray ch, TRUE, 16
        for pad = 0 to 15
          LatchPad pad, TRUE
        endfor  
      endif

ResetNoteStates FALSE

ShowLayout 2

@End

@OnPadDown

if ch[LastPad] = FALSE
       for note = 0 to 127
         if (GetNoteState LastPad, note) = TRUE
           SendMIDINoteOff LastPad, note, 0, (Random 0, 5)
           //Random delay is for some hosts that don't like too many simultaneous events

SetNoteState LastPad, note, FALSE 
         endif
       endfor
     endif

@End

@OnMidiInput
        SendMIDIThru
      endif

//Track Note ON/OFF
      if MIDICommand = 0x90 //Note-ON
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote, TRUE
      elseif MIDICommand = 0x80 //Note-OFF
        SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote, FALSE
      endif 
    @End

Hi @wim ,
    How hard is it to add lights on/off for my nanoKontrol2?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Watch this space for more MUTE MADNESS coming soon!

PROVOCATIVE!

• @j_liljedahl said:
    This is already in the latest AUM version on AppStore! It's called "bypass" for each node.

👍🏻 This is awesome!

• @hypnopad said:

@j_liljedahl said:

👍🏻 This is awesome!

Yes, this was a huge addition. Thanks!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:> Hi @wim ,

From what I can tell, you need to set the LED mode to External using the NanoKontrol app, then you would need to route the output from Mozaic back to the NK2. But the midi isn't going to go back when you've muted the channel.

So, what may work, though I have no way to test, is to mute only notes, not CC's by changing the line right below @OnMidiInput to:

if (ch[MIDIChannel] = TRUE) or (MIDIMessage = 0xB0)

But first you need to be able to set the NK2 LED mode to External, and you need to be sure that the midi is also being routed back out to the NK2. While in External LED mode, the lights will not go on and off just by pressing the buttons. They will only go on and off when something sends them the right CC value or when it's echoed back as I described above. So you might not want to operate the NKS in this mode, or at least be comfortable with how to switch between External and Internal LED mode.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:> Hi @wim ,

From what I can tell, you need to set the LED mode to External using the NanoKontrol app, then you would need to route the output from Mozaic back to the NK2. But the midi isn't going to go back when you've muted the channel.

So, what may work, though I have no way to test, is to mute only notes, not CC's by changing the line right below @OnMidiInput to:

But first you need to be able to set the NK2 LED mode to External, and you need to be sure that the midi is also being routed back out to the NK2. While in External LED mode, the lights will not go on and off just by pressing the buttons. They will only go on and off when something sends them the right CC value or when it's echoed back as I described above. So you might not want to operate the NKS in this mode, or at least be comfortable with how to switch between External and Internal LED mode.

sound hard for me :/

is it possible to add to the script that the mute pads send a note message? that will allow the mute actions to get recorded as midi notes.

my current workaround is setting

-KB-1 to atom
    -atom out to Aum's midi control.
    -Mozaic exposed parameters receive midi notes from atom.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

is it possible to add to the script that the mute pads send a note message? that will allow the mute actions to get recorded as midi notes.

-KB-1 to atom

I'm not sure I understand. Why not just record the KB-1 notes directly in Atom?

• edited April 2020

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

-KB-1 to atom

I'm not sure I understand. Why not just record the KB-1 notes directly in Atom?

I actually use now the “emoji pads” Mozaic script (instead of kb1). stil doesn’t feel elegant and takes some real estate.
    In the end I’ll probably use a lemur or midi designer But then
    I won’t be able to play simultaneously on apps within Aum like iDensity.

• @wim said:
    The problem you may run into is that Atom is strictly a looper, and you can’t stop it from looping via midi. So, you will need to have long patterns, or trigger playback from the interface.

you were right.
    I had a problem with Atom looping and that it's max 40 bars :/
    you could not slow down the recording only playback which is weird and unuseful for me.

I need to find a sequencer which is light on cpu.

• Xequence 2 is light on CPU, rock stable, and a joy to use ... though I expect you'll say you don't want to use it because it's a standalone app. I find that using it in Audiobus is just fine as I can always switch to it when needed with just a tap.

Which is not to say I wouldn't love to have an AU solution.