Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Turn off red dotted underlines in Mobile Safari?

This started in iOS 12.2, and even after hours of googling and digging through ALL settings, I did not find a way to turn these off.

They ONLY appear in Mobile Safari, NOT in other apps such as Notes. I find this distracting enough to now "draft" every text box in Notes and then copy & paste to Safari.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Comments

• They’ve always been there and mark spelling ‘mistakes’.

You can turn them off in settings->keyboard. There’s a shortcut to settings via the keyboard settings menu item in the keyboard globe icon.

• edited July 2019

@klownshed said:
    They’ve always been there and mark spelling ‘mistakes’.

Thanks, but then why is this "feature" only available in Safari and not other apps?

And trust me, it has never happened before iOS 12.2.

You can turn them off in settings->keyboard. There’s a shortcut to settings via the keyboard settings menu item in the keyboard globe icon.

This? 🙂

• You can add a contact with the surname xequence and then it will no longer be underlined.

Also you can add a shortcut to type xequence for you by typing, say, xxqq instead. That’s in keyboards->text replacement.

• Should be possible to tap on it and make iOS 'learn' the word...

• @klownshed said:
    You can add a contact with the surname xequence and then it will no longer be underlined.

Also you can add a shortcut to type xequence for you by typing, say, xxqq instead. That’s in keyboards->text replacement.

Yes thanks, that's a good workaround... but the question remains, why do I even have to spend time "hacking away" a distracting "feature" that I didn't even want, need or enable in the first place, and that is inconsistent in only being "available" in some apps and not others? 🤔

• @Samu said:
    Should be possible to tap on it and make iOS 'learn' the word...

I thoroughly miss the times when I didn't have to "teach" a writing machine words before being able to use them 😂

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

I thoroughly miss the times when I didn't have to "teach" a writing machine words before being able to use them 😂

You don't have to, just turn off the feature that shows words that are not considered real words or add it to the dictionary :)
    (When using the quick-type keyboard on iOS just tap on the word in quotes around it and it will remember it).

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

You don't have to, just turn off the feature that shows words that are not considered real words or add it to the dictionary :)

OK, but where exactly do I globally turn this off?

• edited July 2019

It has always been there but spelling mistakes seem to be affected by the machine learning stuff that is creeping into all aspects of iOS. Sometimes I find that words are flagged as mistakes when they weren’t previously. Capitalising a word mid sentence used to surpress the red line.

Rather than the problem being just mobile safari, I find that this forum and other forums with similar bb software are the worst places of all to type in.

There’s something about the forum software that makes the predictive text not work as it should and editing is far trickier than in any normal iOS text field.

Especially on the iPad.

I don’t know what’s causing it but I find it 10x harder to type here than anywhere else.

• @klownshed it doesn't seem to be specific to any particular website. For example, it also used to happen on ALL of MY websites. I then added 'spellcheck="false"' to all inputs and textareas on my sites, and the problem went away.

But it still baffles me that this spellchecking stuff can't be turned off globally. Even Microsoft Word can do that! Why not Safari?

• @Samu said:

You’d think so. But nope. No learn command.

Also if you have the predictive text bar open for the keyboard, tapping the word in quotes won’t stop it being underlined.

I’m sure there’s some crazy ML Siri type stuff mucking things up as it’s very inconsistent and I find it keeps changing words that are correctly spelled into different words but leaving incorrectly spelled words underlined. Weird.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @klownshed it doesn't seem to be specific to any particular website. For example, it also used to happen on ALL of MY websites. I then added 'spellcheck="false"' to all inputs and textareas on my sites, and the problem went away.

I didn’t mean the spelling thing is worse in Bb text fields but the general predictive text behaviour and text selecting/editing appears to me to be far worse in WordPress type text fields. Selecting text in forum text fields is horrendous.

But it still baffles me that this spellchecking stuff can't be turned off globally. Even Microsoft Word can do that! Why not Safari?

Do you mean just for safari? Because if you turn off spell checking in settings it is global.

• @klownshed said:

@Samu said:

Also if you have the predictive text bar open for the keyboard, tapping the word in quotes won’t stop it being underlined.

I’m sure there’s some crazy ML Siri type stuff mucking things up as it’s very inconsistent and I find it keeps changing words that are correctly spelled into different words but leaving incorrectly spelled words underlined. Weird.

To be honest, this smells like a bug in Safari / Webkit to me. Does this occur for you in any other app than Safari?

I can probably throw together a little proxy server that just adds 'spellcheck="false"' to any textarea or input, but still... weird.

• edited July 2019

@klownshed said:
    Do you mean just for safari? Because if you turn off spell checking in settings it is global.

No, globally. It IS turned off! 😁

• Lol, I use spell checking all the time when available since I suffer from mild dyslexia and need it, otherwise no one would understand what I type :D

• @SevenSystems said:

@klownshed said:

@Samu said:

To be honest, this smells like a bug in Safari / Webkit to me. Does this occur for you in any other app than Safari?

It’s definiely worse here on this forum. I hVe just types this without correcting the mistakes. InhVe types the same thing into a contact me message box on my website and get nowhere near this level of spelling article as.

(I typed weirdness not article as).

Inthuni (i think) this text field is doing some stuff as you trips (type) that is interfering with the iOS text predictive and spelling algorithms.

• @Samu said:
    Lol, I use spell checking all the time when available since I suffer from mild dyslexia and need it, otherwise no one would understand what I type :D

Yah I'm in the exact opposite camp -- I find it extremely annoying if an officially dumb machine thinks it's smarter than me and, adding insult to injury, disrupts my flow of thought by adding distracting decoration to my text in a color that my reptile brain links to danger and death 😉 anyway, I'll just use a proxy, fortunately the bug SO FAR only seems to affect Safari.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:
    Lol, I use spell checking all the time when available since I suffer from mild dyslexia and need it, otherwise no one would understand what I type :D

Yah I'm in the exact opposite camp -- I find it extremely annoying if an officially dumb machine thinks it's smarter than me and, adding insult to injury, disrupts my flow of thought by adding distracting decoration to my text in a color that my reptile brain links to danger and death 😉 anyway, I'll just use a proxy, fortunately the bug SO FAR only seems to affect Safari.

You could check if it also affects Firefox and Chrome on iOS as they use WebKit as well...
    If the 'bug' is there too report it to Apple...

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

You could check if it also affects Firefox and Chrome on iOS as they use WebKit as well...
    If the 'bug' is there too report it to Apple...

Just checked. Yep, it does! Interesting! So, official Webkit bug probably. Given the speed those folks work at in other areas, a fix may be available in 2074 😉

• Sorry I’m a bit confused here.

The underline thing happens for me in every app not just Safari. I get the red line squiggle in notes if I type ‘Xequence’ too. Even when I put it in quotes.

The issue I have is with some’text fields in websites that seem to mess up text correction and selecting.

• @klownshed said:
    Sorry I’m a bit confused here.

The underline thing happens for me in every app not just Safari. I get the red line squiggle in notes if I type ‘Xequence’ too. Even when I put it in quotes.

The issue I have is with some’text fields in websites that seem to mess up text correction and selecting.

• @klownshed said:

Interesting. And you have all spell checking stuff turned off globally too?

• edited July 2019

Xequence > @SevenSystems said:

@klownshed said:

Interesting. And you have all spell checking stuff turned off globally too?

I had. Its possible that had it switched on again as I can’t repeat. Notes now shows no underline whilst safari does.

Safari is ignoring the global check spelling setting.

• Wondering if anyone found a workaround or if this will ever be fixed... not fixed in 12.4.1. I use many different languages all the time so it's especially annoying because literally everything has red dotted underlines, all the time. :/