Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM and TouchViz Session

I jammed with aum and this track came out. The visuals were created in a small live session with TouchViz afterwards. Everything is done exclusively with the iPad. I'm glad to have taken it on vacation :) Hope you like it.

Comments

  • Sounds good mate. What synths? What drum machine?

    Just last night I dove into TouchViz for a little session. Very fun deep app. And the latest update enables Files.app access so it is finally super easy to get video clips into TouchViz. :smile:

  • @Hmtx said:
    Sounds good mate. What synths? What drum machine?

    Thanks, I'm glad you like the track. I used Lorentz, iSEM and Factory. For the beats Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM.

    Just last night I dove into TouchViz for a little session. Very fun deep app. And the latest update enables Files.app access so it is finally super easy to get video clips into TouchViz. :smile:

    Yeah I like TouchViz a lot. I use it at sessions with my band and trying to get deeper in controlling it with sequencers via Midi. That is a really cool feature.

  • This sounded really cool, but when I searched for “Touchviz” in the App Store It wasn’t found. I DID find in with a Goog, thank goodness. I already had TouchOSC, and completing the bundle got me Touchviz on the cheap. For that price I can play. :)

  • The external MIDI control seems solid, I had the Fx pulsing in sync controlled by Rozeta LFO.

  • @motmeister said:
    This sounded really cool, but when I searched for “Touchviz” in the App Store It wasn’t found. I DID find in with a Goog, thank goodness. I already had TouchOSC, and completing the bundle got me Touchviz on the cheap. For that price I can play. :)

    Cool, I didn’t know that there is a bundle.

  • @Hmtx said:
    The external MIDI control seems solid, I had the Fx pulsing in sync controlled by Rozeta LFO.

    I like this a lot. I use the Midi channels from my Octatrack to control FX and crossfades. But not in this video that were just my unsynchronized fingers ;)

  • @Hmtx said:
    The external MIDI control seems solid, I had the Fx pulsing in sync controlled by Rozeta LFO.

    Any idea how to pull this off @Hmtx ? I'm trying to figure out how the Midi operates on TouchViz...Thanks!

  • @slupchips Sure, its not too hard. What is your MIDI source and how are you wanting to send it to TouchViz?

  • edited January 2020

    @Hmtx I'd like to send midi from patterning 2 or rozeta sequencers within AUM --> Touchviz. I can't seem to figure out how these two play nicely together.

  • I’m just trying to do something similar to @slupchips @Hmtx (anybody) - ie route AUM midi into touchviz but I can only see AUM as an output in the midi settings... would I need some sort of app that can spoof a CoreMIDI interface, is that even possible?

    Tx

    Chris

  • Bumping this due to TouchViz discount and self-isolation.

    Any help sending cc or note data from AUM would be appreciated.

  • `nother bump....

    Any TouchViz users here that may be able to field a few super simple questions? There’s no user forum for it and the “manual” is less-than-comprehensive.

    So, simple question: is there a way to sync the two clip channels so they start at the same time? By default, the clips start when you drag them into the mixer.

    (Wonder if Brambo can handle this? Why not! 🙂)

  • @zilld2017 said:
    `nother bump....

    Any TouchViz users here that may be able to field a few super simple questions? There’s no user forum for it and the “manual” is less-than-comprehensive.

    So, simple question: is there a way to sync the two clip channels so they start at the same time? By default, the clips start when you drag them into the mixer.

    (Wonder if Brambo can handle this? Why not! 🙂)

    A solution to this appears to be using Midifiire and Mozaic, though I have also been able to use Riffer
    in place of Mozaic. In this setup use a dynamic clock to run sequencer and feed out into Midifire.
    This will make channel flick through the corresponding film clips. I have not yet found a method of fliping through from A to B channel.

  • Update use the app Midilfos. Set one to Channel 1 - CC 1 with a rate of 0 - 1 and set another to Channel 1 - CC 0 with a rate of 0 -1. This will trigger the Channel A to switch with B and vice versa.

  • Hello all,

    Just got TouchViz and also having trouble with the MIDI input. I can’t send any MIDI signals internally, for example from AUM or Cubasis to TouchViz.

    Did anyone find a solution for this.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  • @onastarchase said:
    Hello all,

    Just got TouchViz and also having trouble with the MIDI input. I can’t send any MIDI signals internally, for example from AUM or Cubasis to TouchViz.

    Did anyone find a solution for this.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    If TouchViz does not publish a Virtual MIDI input port, and does not let you select a Virtual MIDI input port, it may only listen to Core MIDI. If so, the rather curious MidiFlow Adapter may be a solution. Ignore all the description about Audiobus and just try it. It publishes many virtual ports. You can send MIDI to one of them and it will appear as Core MIDI.

  • Thanks for your help @uncledave.

  • edited April 19

    @Krupa said:
    I’m just trying to do something similar to @slupchips @Hmtx (anybody) - ie route AUM midi into touchviz but I can only see AUM as an output in the midi settings... would I need some sort of app that can spoof a CoreMIDI interface, is that even possible?

    Tx

    Chris

    Run FreEWI as a global MIDI bridge and use that as a mediator between AUM and TouchViz. TV seems to be built to work with hardware interfaces only, otherwise Hexler would have included a virtual MIDI In port.

    One of these indispensable apps from Audeonic like Streambyter and MIDIFire.

    Another free option is "MIDI Recorder with E.Piano" from Ryouta Kira, the KQ Dixie dev.

  • @rs2000 said:

    @Krupa said:
    I’m just trying to do something similar to @slupchips @Hmtx (anybody) - ie route AUM midi into touchviz but I can only see AUM as an output in the midi settings... would I need some sort of app that can spoof a CoreMIDI interface, is that even possible?

    Tx

    Chris

    Run FreEWI as a global MIDI bridge and use that as a mediator between AUM and TouchViz. TV seems to be built to work with hardware interfaces only, otherwise Hexler would have included a virtual MIDI In port.

    One of these indispensable apps from Audeonic like Streambyter and MIDIFire.

    Another free option is "MIDI Recorder with E.Piano" from Ryouta Kira, the KQ Dixie dev.

    I did eventually figure it all out, but abandoned the attempt as I found it incredibly easy to crash it with the amount and resolutions of video I was using; I think I’ll stick to Mac OS or even Windows got that sort of thing. I was hoping that an iOS/iPad solution would be a low cost and easily installable way of adding visuals to art shows…

  • @Krupa said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @Krupa said:
    I’m just trying to do something similar to @slupchips @Hmtx (anybody) - ie route AUM midi into touchviz but I can only see AUM as an output in the midi settings... would I need some sort of app that can spoof a CoreMIDI interface, is that even possible?

    Tx

    Chris

    Run FreEWI as a global MIDI bridge and use that as a mediator between AUM and TouchViz. TV seems to be built to work with hardware interfaces only, otherwise Hexler would have included a virtual MIDI In port.

    One of these indispensable apps from Audeonic like Streambyter and MIDIFire.

    Another free option is "MIDI Recorder with E.Piano" from Ryouta Kira, the KQ Dixie dev.

    I did eventually figure it all out, but abandoned the attempt as I found it incredibly easy to crash it with the amount and resolutions of video I was using; I think I’ll stick to Mac OS or even Windows got that sort of thing. I was hoping that an iOS/iPad solution would be a low cost and easily installable way of adding visuals to art shows…

    My experience too. If you want rock solid, high performance video clip launching with live FX, the numerous desktop solutions are still the way to go.

  • Too right 👍👍

  • edited April 19

    @uncledave said:

    @onastarchase said:
    Hello all,

    Just got TouchViz and also having trouble with the MIDI input. I can’t send any MIDI signals internally, for example from AUM or Cubasis to TouchViz.

    Did anyone find a solution for this.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    If TouchViz does not publish a Virtual MIDI input port, and does not let you select a Virtual MIDI input port, it may only listen to Core MIDI. If so, the rather curious MidiFlow Adapter may be a solution. Ignore all the description about Audiobus and just try it. It publishes many virtual ports. You can send MIDI to one of them and it will appear as Core MIDI.

    @rs2000 I'm not sure if your suggestion of FreEWI, or my MF Adapter will actually work in this case. I don't have TouchViz, but I do have the Branches synth. When running stand-alone, Branches sees only hardware connections, defaulting to Network Session. When I connect a USB MIDI keyboard, it sees that, fine. But no amount of experimentation with AUM, FreEWI, or MF Adapter will cause it to recognize a MIDI source generated by software. If TouchViz is similarly stubborn, this may be a lost cause.

    I imagined that MF Adapter created a Core MIDI port because it worked with Music Studio without an explicit connection. But it seems that Music Studio outsmarted me. I think that these apps (FreEWI and MF Adapter) may be able to accept a Core MIDI input and generate a Virtual MIDI port that apps can see. But they cannot generate a Core MIDI port that looks like a real hardware device connection.

    Edit: Full disclosure: I'm on iPadOS 15.4.1. Other OS versions may differ.

  • @uncledave said:

    @uncledave said:

    @onastarchase said:
    Hello all,

    Just got TouchViz and also having trouble with the MIDI input. I can’t send any MIDI signals internally, for example from AUM or Cubasis to TouchViz.

    Did anyone find a solution for this.

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    If TouchViz does not publish a Virtual MIDI input port, and does not let you select a Virtual MIDI input port, it may only listen to Core MIDI. If so, the rather curious MidiFlow Adapter may be a solution. Ignore all the description about Audiobus and just try it. It publishes many virtual ports. You can send MIDI to one of them and it will appear as Core MIDI.

    @rs2000 I'm not sure if your suggestion of FreEWI, or my MF Adapter will actually work in this case. I don't have TouchViz, but I do have the Branches synth. When running stand-alone, Branches sees only hardware connections, defaulting to Network Session. When I connect a USB MIDI keyboard, it sees that, fine. But no amount of experimentation with AUM, FreEWI, or MF Adapter will cause it to recognize a MIDI source generated by software. If TouchViz is similarly stubborn, this may be a lost cause.

    I imagined that MF Adapter created a Core MIDI port because it worked with Music Studio without an explicit connection. But it seems that Music Studio outsmarted me. I think that these apps (FreEWI and MF Adapter) may be able to accept a Core MIDI input and generate a Virtual MIDI port that apps can see. But they cannot generate a Core MIDI port that looks like a real hardware device connection.

    Edit: Full disclosure: I'm on iPadOS 15.4.1. Other OS versions may differ.

    If something sees Network Session, you can use MidiFire to get network session running and send to Network Session.

  • @uncledave Believe me, it works.

  • @rs2000 said:
    @uncledave Believe me, it works.

    Agreed. I just had the opportunity to try this with Epic Synth on my iPad Air. Epic Synth accepts MIDI input, but can only configure the MIDI channel; it knows nothing about virtual ports. But I was able to use either FreEWI or MF Adapter to send the AUM keyboard to the synth. So they should work for other similar apps. (My previous test with Branches was flawed because it does not do Background Audio. Epic Synth does. )

  • Bump.
    Just to clarify if I understood all correctly, it's impossible to route midi from AUM/Drambo into Touchviz without third "midi bridge" app...

  • This is a lovely jam.
    I am really enjoying this recording.
    Very nice beats.
    Love the mellow vibe to the lively beat.
    Thank you.
    Rene

  • @ReneAsologuitar said:
    This is a lovely jam.
    I am really enjoying this recording.
    Very nice beats.
    Love the mellow vibe to the lively beat.
    Thank you.
    Rene

    thank you very much for your nice comment. I'm glad you like it.

Sign In or Register to comment.