Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• Is the UI in AUM for the paid app better than that for the free one (which is atrociously small even on a 10.5 iPad)?

• @TimRussell said:
    Is the UI in AUM for the paid app better than that for the free one (which is atrociously small even on a 10.5 iPad)?

I’ll check out the free one but I had no problem on my 10.5” with the paid version. Initial window in landscape looks small but double touch the top bar and it expands full screen without issue.

• @AudioGus said:
    Erf, wait, so does the paid version have AU automation working in BM3 but the free one does not?

It doesn’t seem to for me on the paid version

• Lots of potential but definitely has UI issues right now. Let’s get the developer in here for some good old love and user requests! 😎

• @gusgranite said:
    Lots of potential but definitely has UI issues right now. Let’s get the developer in here for some good old love and user requests! 😎

UI seems ok in BM3 on the 10.5. A shame there is an intro price but the auto doesn’t work... definitely on my saledar.

• @AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:
    Lots of potential but definitely has UI issues right now. Let’s get the developer in here for some good old love and user requests! 😎

UI seems ok in BM3 on the 10.5. A shame there is an intro price but the auto doesn’t work... definitely on my saledar.

Right. I was in AUM on the 10.5

• yeah, i could t get the free one to work i. AUM either > @gusgranite said:

@AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

Right. I was in AUM on the 10.5

• @TimRussell said:
    Is the UI in AUM for the paid app better than that for the free one (which is atrociously small even on a 10.5 iPad)?

You can resize it using two fingers

• @White said:

@TimRussell said:

You can resize it using two fingers

It's a bit hooped in AUM right now. You can zoom in but the zoom is always focused on the center. So you can't zoom in and then move up to the filter selection to select a new filter as it is offscreen.

• edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@nondes said:
    Got the free version, but it's lacking AU parameters. :/ Sounds sweet though on KQ Dixie.

Yeah, that is a 'bummer' but it supports Midi CC so using for example Midi Send AUv3 (part of apeMatrix) solves that.

I'm more bummed by the UI rendering issues which should have been sorted out before release...

The oscillator in it is pretty sweet with fat unison and audio-rate modulation.
    Rozeta LFO can be used with ramp wave to add pulsating sound to it if needed.

A 'gate' option would be handy as well (ie. play the oscillator while a note is held down).

I do like the sound of the filters :)

just for novelty/experiment I rigged a pseudo gate for it using AUM, with inverted mutes mapped to
    C1 through C7 ... Worked better than I expected, despite taking over 80 AUM channels ;)

Will gladly share the preset somewhere if anyone would like to use it; I’m sure there are probably a lot easier ways to setup a gate with aufx push or something of the sort, but I’ve never tried on iOS.

• @ZenEagle said:

@Samu said:

@nondes said:
    Got the free version, but it's lacking AU parameters. :/ Sounds sweet though on KQ Dixie.

Yeah, that is a 'bummer' but it supports Midi CC so using for example Midi Send AUv3 (part of apeMatrix) solves that.

I'm more bummed by the UI rendering issues which should have been sorted out before release...

The oscillator in it is pretty sweet with fat unison and audio-rate modulation.
    Rozeta LFO can be used with ramp wave to add pulsating sound to it if needed.

A 'gate' option would be handy as well (ie. play the oscillator while a note is held down).

I do like the sound of the filters :)

just for novelty/experiment I rigged a pseudo gate for it using AUM, with inverted mutes mapped to
    C1 through C7 ... Worked better than I expected, despite taking over 80 AUM channels ;)

Will gladly share the preset somewhere if anyone would like to use it; I’m sure there are probably a lot easier ways to setup a gate with aufx push or something of the sort, but I’ve never tried on iOS.

If you have iVCS3 there is an envelope AU that can be used for this.

• First update is out:

• Good update, need to download it, but AU parameters. 😥

• @nondes said:
    Good update, need to download it, but AU parameters. 😥

Yeah, those are still missing but I'll give the dev some time to check out the situation...
    The oscillator is quite fat and good for drones just need an option to control the gate using note on/off messages.
    (ie. a drone/gate switch).

I also do wonder if the brick-wall limiter in the plug-in works as the output when using the oscillator, especially in 8 voice unison mode is HOT :D

• edited July 2019

I have to admit that the filters do sound really nice, as does the saturation.

I wish that it didn't add so much gain to the signal. Even with the drive and saturator down, it gives a very significant boost to the signal, which requires gain adjustments to the incoming signal..

The plugin design has me firmly on the fence with this one. I know it's cheap, but I find that plugins that are frustrating to use don't get used..
    Firstly, the decision to make the workspace tiny and then have submenus in something with so few options is a strange decision, especially since midi cc isn't exposed as of yet.

Why not have all components (saturator, modulation, oscillator) laid out horizontally. I see no reason for the ability to drag the filter around the page when the popup menus that block the main panel cannot be moved out of the way.

I couldn't figure out how to change filter until I accidentally swiped up on the filter name. Huh.. The one area where a popup menu would be appropriate...

Lastly, (one of my pet peeves in the world of UI) the popup menus require you to tap exactly on the itsy bitsy button in order to exit. Note to developers: tap anywhere to exit is best practice and leads to best flow.

I hope to see this get a better workflow by doing away with the unnecessary menudiving and more importantly exposing midi cc's.

• edited July 2019

Has anyone heard from the dev that AU automation will ever work?

• @AudioGus said:

Looks like AU parameter automation will come with the 2.2 update, although, if I understand correctly, it won't work with AUM :(

From https://midi.digitster.com/JAX/versions.html
    "AUM for instance exposes this "main parameter" of the unit successfully, but on the other side FAILS to list our parameter tree !? that is absolutely un-logical and must be an issue in AUM."

• edited July 2019

@AudioGus said:

Recording automation already works, it's just that apparently it does not read from it yet. I bet it's just a matter of time because a filter needs automation or a good built-in modulation sequencer, no question.

The JAF Collection also sounds great when using it to add this magic "analog mojo" to audio.
    I really like it.

• The JAF Collection, JAF Model One and JAX Stereo Tool apps were just updated on the app store.

• @rs2000 said:

@AudioGus said:

Recording automation already works, it's just that apparently it does not read from it yet. I bet it's just a matter of time because a filter needs automation or a good built-in modulation sequencer, no question.

The JAF Collection also sounds great when using it to add this magic "analog mojo" to audio.
    I really like it.

It does sound fantastic and can take the bland away when a mix feels a bit cardboard/lifeless. Seems I may have to spend some time getting to know the character of the different filters.

I also heard back from the dev that yes AU automation issues are to be fixed any moment now, whoot!

• These filters make KQ Dixie come alive! But automation would make it 💯 x 💯.

• The AUParameters are not visible in AUM. If I’m not mistaken it’s somethings the developer has to do with their app so I guess @j_liljedahl has a clue about what this is and we can share it with Jens too...

• @Samu said:
    The AUParameters are not visible in AUM. If I’m not mistaken it’s somethings the developer has to do with their app so I guess @j_liljedahl has a clue about what this is and we can share it with Jens too...

I've just found that automation already works in apeMatrix which is probably the best alternative to AUM for now.

• Hmm, I've gone AUM exclusive, really hope developer is able to find fix. Do hard coded midi cc still work?

• @silent1 said:

@AudioGus said:

Looks like AU parameter automation will come with the 2.2 update, although, if I understand correctly, it won't work with AUM :(

From https://midi.digitster.com/JAX/versions.html
    "AUM for instance exposes this "main parameter" of the unit successfully, but on the other side FAILS to list our parameter tree !? that is absolutely un-logical and must be an issue in AUM."

Someone might want to point out that AUM is one of the most popular AU hosts and pretty much all AUs with exposed parameters work as expected in it. It would be worthwhile for him to be in touch with @j_liljedahl to figure why they aren't working in AUM.

• The latest update has now enabled automation in Cubasis 👍🏼

• DCJDCJ
    edited July 2019

I’ll tell you what I’m not buying.... the fact that somehow AUM is doing something wrong. :D

edit: just read the update notes and it’s snotty af. Or am I misreading? Seems like something where you’d just reach out to the dev rather than trash the app in the update notes?

• @DCJ : I agree. The notes are snotty. Even if there is some AUM quirk ( and I am not saying there is) those release notes are uncalled for and rude.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @DCJ : I agree. The notes are snotty. Even if there is some AUM quirk ( and I am not saying there is) those release notes are uncalled for and rude.

Agreed.

• I’m putting it down to inexperience and giving the developer a pass. The website is much more conciliatory.

“We really like AUM. For its clearness and scalability and all. But we have no clue, why our units do not work there. We tried everything. Currently the parameter automation and iteration does work correctly with other flagship host applications. If someone has a technical hint for us, why AUM refuses to work with us, so please tell us!”