Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TB Equalizer by ToneBoosters. (Updated with support for iPhone)

Comments

• So basically the same sound can be achieved in digital parametric EQs before saturation is applied.

Good to know!

• edited July 2019

@gusgranite said:
    So basically the same sound can be achieved in digital parametric EQs before saturation is applied.

Good to know!

Yes, all digital EQs (just the equalization) are the same, they raise or lower a set of frequencies within a range and with transfer charecteristics, the transfer can be dialled in on a parametric.

Taking that in to account, any EQ that is doing that and is not exactly the same as any other with the same freq/range/curves is broken (again just the equalizer, not saturation/latency/phase etc)

By their very nature, all digital equalization is the same, just like any db cut or boost in volume is the same, because all an EQ actually is is a frequency restricted volume control (see above mentioned values for those restrictions)

All these myths were dispelled many years ago, along with differences in summing engines and digital clocks etc.

You will find page after page of posts to read at GS/KVR etc if you are that way inclined.

• @turntablist: please see my post a little higher up. I think you are not quite correct that all digital eqs are precisely the same.

• edited July 2019

🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️ Are we really doing this discussion here also? This is like my DAW sounds better than your DAW war.

@Turntablist said:

@gusgranite said:
    So basically the same sound can be achieved in digital parametric EQs before saturation is applied.

Good to know!

Yes, all digital EQs (just the equalization) are the same, they raise or lower a set of frequencies within a range and with transfer charecteristics, the transfer can be dialled in on a parametric.

Taking that in to account, any EQ that is doing that and is not exactly the same as any other with the same freq/range/curves is broken (again just the equalizer, not saturation/latency/phase etc)

By their very nature, all digital equalization is the same, just like any db cut or boost in volume is the same, because all an EQ actually is is a frequency restricted volume control (see above mentioned values for those restrictions)

All these myths were dispelled many years ago, along with differences in summing engines and digital clocks etc.

You will find page after page of posts to read at GS/KVR etc if you are that way inclined.

^^^Facts! and that’s it.

• @hansjbs said:
    🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️ Are we really doing this discussion here also? This is like my DAW sounds better than your DAW war.

@Turntablist said:

@gusgranite said:

Good to know!

^^^Facts! and that’s it.

What part are you saying is a fact?

• If all digital Parametric EQ's would indeed sound the same we would not be any market at all?!

But well since it's about 'crunching numbers' oversampling as an example adds more numbers for the algorithms to work with and thus for example a 4x oversampled PEQ will likely sound smoother than a non-oversampled version (Latency vs. CPU Usage).

Same goes for just about anything DSP related.

Another interesting take on this would be in which order the PEQ nodes are processed...
    ...parallel or serial as that will also affect the overall sound.

Are there any built-in tools to 'drive/saturate' the EQ? etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm happy we have plenty of tools to choose from Pro-Q3 for super clean EQ and things like GotoEQ to colour not to mention the harmonic exciters which are next to impossible to do using regular EQs.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@hansjbs said:

@Turntablist said:

@gusgranite said:

Good to know!

^^^Facts! and that’s it.

The part I quoted

• @Samu said:
    If all digital Parametric EQ's would indeed sound the same we would not be any market at all?!

If all cars can get us from point A to point B why is there a market for different cars at all?

I need to get to a certain fix destination and I have a 2 fully working cars, one luxury and one regular. Both can get me there in the same amount of time doing 60 MPH but i prefer to travel in luxury.

• edited July 2019

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:
    If all digital Parametric EQ's would indeed sound the same we would not be any market at all?!

If all cars can get us from point A to point B why is there a market for different cars at all?

I need to get to a certain fix destination and I have a 2 fully working cars, one luxury and one regular. Both can get me there in the same amount of time doing 60 MPH but i prefer to travel in luxury.

Yeah, and the 'noise of the car' can either please those one passes by or in some cases damage their ears ;)
    (car references are fun lol).

• Have you considered the consumption? :)

• @hansjbs said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@hansjbs said:

@Turntablist said:

@gusgranite said:

Good to know!

^^^Facts! and that’s it.

The part I quote

Haha ok 👍

• @Samu said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:

Yeah, and the 'noise of the car' can either please those one passes pass by or in some cases damage their ears ;)
    (car references are fun lol).

:D :D :D

• @Samu said:

But well since it's about 'crunching numbers' oversampling as an example adds more numbers for the algorithms to work with and thus for example a 4x oversampled PEQ will likely sound smoother than a non-oversampled version (Latency vs. CPU Usage).

Same goes for just about anything DSP related.

Another interesting take on this would be in which order the PEQ nodes are processed...
    ...parallel or serial as that will also affect the overall sound.

Are there any built-in tools to 'drive/saturate' the EQ? etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'm happy we have plenty of tools to choose from Pro-Q3 for super clean EQ and things like GotoEQ to colour not to mention the harmonic exciters which are next to impossible to do using regular EQs.

Did you read my post that is a little up-thread? Even to the degree that clean digital parametric eqs can achieve comparable results when tweaking, some implementations are configured in such a way to be easier to dial in the desired results. Not to mention that some will have non-EQ features (like a really good spectrum analyzer) or additional features (such added harmonic distortion or customized EQ curves, or EQ matching, etc)

So even to the degree that it is true, it does not mean all EQ plugins are the same.

• I feel like we have reached something of a consensus here! Good stuff.

• edited July 2019

Whether we're taking about end results OR workflow (we seem to have got the two a little confused in this thread) this plugin is still the mutt's nuts.

• The app looks great 👍 glad it exists.

• edited July 2019

I'm happy enough with Pro-Q2, but mine is embedded in Auria Pro and I don't want to pay what they're asking for the AUv3 versions. I'm sure they're worth it for some of you, but not for my novice use.

Outside of Auria I only have zMorsEQ. How might TB EQ compare overall to the zMors EQ that I already have?

• edited July 2019

@skiphunt

zMors EQ only has 5 bands, 7 filter types, and no spectrum analyser.

TB has 16 bands, many more filter types, mid/side/left/right per section, auto-gain, a decent analyser and adds full-blown dynamic EQ control.

The only real advantage Pro-Q3 has is 24 bands, linear phase modes, and a few nice workflow tricks for freezing and adjusting peaks based on the waveform itself. (Note - these features are in Pro-Q2 also)

For me, 16 bands is more than enough.

• @skiphunt, do yourself a favor and get this one. I haven’t used zMors, but compared to the Cubasis internals and Waves, and 4pockets this is a blast (I am not saying those aren’t very good, but this one has something special).I am a real EQ beginner, but even I got into it pretty quickly. And the price is right... actually a steal, IMHO.

• @skiphunt better than zMors by a large margin. Dynamic EQ y’all! There’s only one other on iOS to compare it with.

• @tk32 said:
    @skiphunt

zMors EQ only has 5 bands, 7 filter types, and no spectrum analyser.

TB has 16 bands, many more filter types, mid/side/left/right per section, auto-gain, a decent analyser and adds full-blown dynamic EQ control.

The only real advantage Pro-Q3 has is 24 bands, linear phase modes, and a few nice workflow tricks for freezing and adjusting peaks based on the waveform itself. (Note - these features are in Pro-Q2 also)

For me, 16 bands is more than enough.

This is a good summary. 4pockets has 4 bands plus high shelf/low shelf. I like it’s interface for quickly dialling stuff in and it’s built in limiter etc. Is a good feature, but I can now see what features it’s missing.

I will never use 16 bands, let alone 24, so that’s no probs. I don’t understand linear phase either, but gather it’s only useful for very specific circumstances so that’s no issue either. Looks like TB has an audition mode for each band which is a feature I really wanted from FF for surgical cuts.

Basically I’ll definitely buy TB now so thanks.

• The thing is... I’m not trying to fine tune or even make tracks. I just like screwing around with sound apps. What’s the plain ol’ fun factor with this one?

• @skiphunt said:
    The thing is... I’m not trying to fine tune or even make tracks. I just like screwing around with sound apps. What’s the plain ol’ fun factor with this one?

Hihi, very functional not high on fun factor, fabfilter is prettier.

• @skiphunt said:
    The thing is... I’m not trying to fine tune or even make tracks. I just like screwing around with sound apps. What’s the plain ol’ fun factor with this one?

I think this is ideal for that...
    Eq, upward/downward dynamic processing , stereo field manipulation and all these combined... it can shape sound in a lot of unique ways

• @skiphunt said:

Well what do you do with the zMors EQ? Is there a fun factor to that one or do you not use it and figured another EQ may be redundant? I’d say if you don’t use corrective/functional EQ then don’t bother. There’s a chance you could get very interesting results abusing the dynamic aspect, but fun might be a stretch. :D

• Oki respectfully backing away from this, I have seen where this leads > @[Deleted User] said:

@skiphunt said:

Hihi, very functional not high on fun factor, fabfilter is prettier.

It is my main fun EQ, it works with automation superb, so for Growls/Neuros/crushed sinewaves etc, automating some notchs is excellent fun for example.

• @DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

Well what do you do with the zMors EQ? Is there a fun factor to that one or do you not use it and figured another EQ may be redundant? I’d say if you don’t use corrective/functional EQ then don’t bother. There’s a chance you could get very interesting results abusing the dynamic aspect, but fun might be a stretch. :D

No fun factor with zMors. I mostly want to take a signal or recording and take it to different extreme ends of the spectrum looking for weird and interesting sonic qualities. And, sort of sculpt the sound into weird shapes.

• edited July 2019

EQ is often necessary but not exactly a fun process, there's a satisfaction when you find that annoying frequency but it takes me out of the creative mindset.

I just did a little google search on this developer, I think he might know a thing or two about EQ :smiley:

Edit: Just bought this and have been sculpting my whistling, coughing and the sound from my vape, inspired by @skiphunt
    Definitely fun to be had!
    Hoping we see more toneboosters stuff.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    EQ is often necessary but not exactly a fun process, there's a satisfaction when you find that annoying frequency but it takes me out of the creative mindset.

I just did a little google search on this developer, I think he might know a thing or two about EQ :smiley:

Edit: Just bought this and have been sculpting my whistling, coughing and the sound from my vape, inspired by @skiphunt
    Definitely fun to be had!
    Hoping we see more toneboosters stuff.

That’s about sold me. :)

• It's very intuitive, haven't scratched the surface but figured out the main things quickly.
    Double tap to add bands, change the UI is top right, spectrum analyser on the bottom.
    Grappling a few bands and moving them around while making a noise put a smile on my face immediately.

I think you might enjoy this @skiphunt