Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM File Player

So I've recently started to use the file player for playback, being previously unaware it could sync.

What are your tricks/techniques for getting perfect loops eg. not stopping recording early or late. MIDI automation of the record button?

I'd like to not have to trim the recordings outside of AUM.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

There are several threads regarding this available: Like this fe : https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24123/aum-quick-tip-loop-recording

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@BroCoast said:
    So I've recently started to use the file player for playback, being previously unaware it could sync.

What are your tricks/techniques for getting perfect loops eg. not stopping recording early or late. MIDI automation of the record button?

AUM bar syncs recording start/stop automatically ;)

I know this. But when I am performing it is hard to time the record button to stop recording and I basically want to be lazy and not have to trim off an extra bar or 2. It's kind of hard to stop AUM from my drum set etc. :)

• I see. That was an extra bit of information not available at first B)

• Sorry should have mentioned that stuff, search functioned turned up bananas. I'm thinking I'll use rozeta to automate it.

First I need to clean that rug :o

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

Sorry should have mentioned that stuff, search functioned turned up bananas. I'm thinking I'll use rozeta to automate it.

First I need to clean that rug :o

Man, what bit a cool gear don't you have! I love AUM but it lacks an inbuilt audio and midi looper designed as nodes. Just something simple and limited would be perfect.

• I emailed the developer a while back to suggest automatic loop playback following a preset amount of bars- he said he wold consider it as several others had asked for the same thing.

• @EyeOhEss

I do play and have no clients. :)

I have been meaning to make a free collection of loops for people to use if they're interested.

Lately I've just been messing around triggering stuff with the kick mic & envolver. I usually record drums in a friends studio as I have 7ft ceilings that are a real problem.

@[Deleted User]

That would be great. I know the dev has talked about that before, I'd gladly pay for a basic audio/midi looper that was the bare minimum. Even just being able to adjust the length by entering bar or beat number.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:
    @EyeOhEss

I do play and have no clients. :)

I have been meaning to make a free collection of loops for people to use if they're interested.

Lately I've just been messing around triggering stuff with the kick mic & envolver. I usually record drums in a friends studio as I have 7ft ceilings that are a real problem.

@[Deleted User]

That would be great. I know the dev has talked about that before, I'd gladly pay for a basic audio/midi looper that was the bare minimum. Even just being able to adjust the length by entering bar or beat number.

Dude make us a sample kit! Always good practice/improvement for yourself in making these things.

Yep just a simple looper, maybe from 1-8 bars/amount of beats. Same with the midi looper. Have it as a node on the track.. lovely.

• @BroCoast said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@BroCoast said:

I know this. But when I am performing it is hard to time the record button to stop recording and I basically want to be lazy and not have to trim off an extra bar or 2. It's kind of hard to stop AUM from my drum set etc. :)

What is it that you want that AUM isn't providing? Is it that you want to only press record once and have recording start in sync at the n Ct bar and stop in sync after a fixed number of measures?

Do you know that Loopy is set up to do that? Along with auto-playing loops as soon as recording is done?

Getting the loops out of Loopy into AudioShare is easy. And it works well with AUM.

I find it a lot less hassle to record the loops in Loopy than in AUM even if AUM's file player is the ultimate destination.

There is a nice Streambyter patch for the blueboard Bluetooth controller for hands-free control, too. It distinguishes single, double and triple taps.

• Don't know if it helps, but here is a Mozaic script that will let you dial in loop length (in bars) up to 16 and turn rec off when it's reached.
    For now, you'll have to set up AUM transport to respond to CCs (which you can change to your liking at the top of the script), once Mozaic supports sysex I'll tweak it, so no setting up necessary.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q816e5ql4jdwlt/StopRec.mozaic?dl=0

• @recccp said:
    Don't know if it helps, but here is a Mozaic script that will let you dial in loop length (in bars) up to 16 and turn rec off when it's reached.
    For now, you'll have to set up AUM transport to respond to CCs (which you can change to your liking at the top of the script), once Mozaic supports sysex I'll tweak it, so no setting up necessary.

Very cool and useful.
    Thank you.

• edited July 2019

@robosardine said:
    I emailed the developer a while back to suggest automatic loop playback following a preset amount of bars- he said he wold consider it as several others had asked for the same thing.

:+1:

@recccp said:
    Don't know if it helps, but here is a Mozaic script that will let you dial in loop length (in bars) up to 16 and turn rec off when it's reached.

Thanks mate! This looks great.

@espiegel123 said:

@BroCoast said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@BroCoast said:

What is it that you want that AUM isn't providing? Is it that you want to only press record once and have recording start in sync at the n Ct bar and stop in sync after a fixed number of measures?

Do you know that Loopy is set up to do that? Along with auto-playing loops as soon as recording is done?

Getting the loops out of Loopy into AudioShare is easy. And it works well with AUM.

I find it a lot less hassle to record the loops in Loopy than in AUM even if AUM's file player is the ultimate destination.

There is a nice Streambyter patch for the blueboard Bluetooth controller for hands-free control, too. It distinguishes single, double and triple taps.

I am not looping. I just want to record preset lengths in one app only :)
    The reason for doing this might be unclear but I find the file player simple and elegant. Being able to "add file player" from the recordings folder is very fast.

I used to use Loopy to do multitrack recording and it seemed to irritate me a lot.

• edited July 2019

Errata😅 @CracklePot thank you for thanking @recccp for the Mozaic script shared with us, works great 👍.

Sorry about that, it was @recccp who posted the script.
    Here’s a video which uses this and a couple of other scripts.

• @BroCoast said:

The reason for doing this might be unclear but I find the file player simple and elegant. Being able to "add file player" from the recordings folder is very fast.

I used to use Loopy to do multitrack recording and it seemed to irritate me a lot.

Fair enough.

Perhaps what I am about to mention won't interest be of interest to you, but I'll mention it for folks that happen upon the thread and don't know about this who might find it useful.

Loopy can be automatically mute a track after recording. This makes it handy as a "take" recorder that can be run without leaving AUM. I can get my backing tracks going in AUM and (without leaving AUM), record takes of whatever length (changeable from the floating palette).

I use AUM's built-in recording a ton, sometimes this approach is more convenient because access to the recorded tracks is a lot quicker than the menu diving and navigation required to load my AUM-recorded tracks.

My biggest wish for AUM is a more convenient way to load tracks it records.

• @espiegel123 said:

@BroCoast said:

Fair enough.

Perhaps what I am about to mention won't interest be of interest to you, but I'll mention it for folks that happen upon the thread and don't know about this who might find it useful.

Loopy can be automatically mute a track after recording. This makes it handy as a "take" recorder that can be run without leaving AUM. I can get my backing tracks going in AUM and (without leaving AUM), record takes of whatever length (changeable from the floating palette).

I use AUM's built-in recording a ton, sometimes this approach is more convenient because access to the recorded tracks is a lot quicker than the menu diving and navigation required to load my AUM-recorded tracks.

My biggest wish for AUM is a more convenient way to load tracks it records.

That's useful. :+1:

The reason I would not use Loopy for this task is it would require a sync option (midi or link) and while both methods work just fine, it adds another thing to think about or something that could possibly go wrong. If I nail a great take but the recording gets messed up somehow that is just devastating for me. I tend to apply Murphy's law when it comes to live recording.