Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Touche & iOS

G'day folks ... just got a new toy - a Touche 3-D expression pedal sort of thing. My left hand need more to do obviously.

Got it to run Serum, Diva and the like on the Mac and some old hardware synths but I just realised reading the manual that it'll work on iOS too.

Anyone using it at all? If the ads are anything to go by with any luck it'll give serious MPE calibre expression to all those lovely iOS synths.

Appreciate any tips if anyone's had a crack at this gadget on iOS.

Comments

• I just got my Touche today. Yet to connect it to my iPad. I am hopeful. Although I’m looking forward to the forthcoming Expressive E ‘Osmose’, most of all. Stunning performance, by the way. 😀

• My Touche is the centrepiece of my studio. Lie the app really needs an update however, I would love to port it to iOS. But with AUM’s MIDI mapping its mostly not needed beyond the Touches default patch. However in Lie you can do some pretty interesting envelope shapes.

• @Calverhall said:
    My Touche is the centrepiece of my studio. Lie the app really needs an update however, I would love to port it to iOS. But with AUM’s MIDI mapping its mostly not needed beyond the Touches default patch. However in Lie you can do some pretty interesting envelope shapes.

I’ve been considering one for 6 months now. Sounds like definite fun. Any examples or setup you be willing to share? Did you get the usb or cv one?

• CV one, I‘ve had it a couple of years. I’d hate not to have the CV outs.

I use it mostly with iOS and with eurorack format stuff, like with 0-Coast and the Softpop.

I also use it with a Minilogue

It’s been frustrating at times because it is so reliant on the Lie program to organise your patches so my initial programming for iOS was back and forth and there were crashes. It was only when I embraced AUv3 and allowing AUM to handle all the MIDI mapping that things became much smoother and stable.

But Lie, despite these flaws is a very good app and I really wish it was on iOS etc. Each patch can be a combination of MIDI and CV and you can move the ports around per preset. You can load up to 24 presets to the device for standalone operation (meaning not connected to Lie.). The one drawback is each preset is tied to one MIDI channel, you unfortunately cannot have a different channel per axis. I hope they update this.

• This thing looks great, I always wanted to build myself an "Ondes Martenot" style controller and this is even better.
    But $400?
    I think we need a new kickstarter project B)

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:
    This thing looks great, I always wanted to build myself an "Ondes Martenot" style controller and this is even better.
    But $400?
    I think we need a new kickstarter project B)

Its worth the money, seriously.

But try before buy? I was lucky enough to get a demo with Arthur himself a Superbooth back in 2016.

• @Calverhall

The one drawback is each preset is tied to one MIDI channel, you unfortunately cannot have a different channel per axis. I hope they update this.

Even though you only get one midi channel can each axis still simultaneously manipulate different parameters of the targeted synth?

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Calverhall

The one drawback is each preset is tied to one MIDI channel, you unfortunately cannot have a different channel per axis. I hope they update this.

Even though you only get one midi channel can each axis still simultaneously manipulate different parameters of the targeted synth?

Oh yeah of course, in Lie you can assign each of the 4 axis to up to 8 different CCs and design each envelope. You could instead assign left and right to pitch bend mode.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Calverhall

Re-channeling CC messages should be an easy script in Streambyter.

• edited February 2020

@Calverhall

Streambyter app is free

# StreamByter - Audeonic Apps
    # ToucheSE
    IF LOAD
      # number of presets
      ASS K0 = 4

# presets
      # CC      16 17 18 19
      ASS L00 = 11 12 13 14 # preset 1
      ASS L04 = 21 22 23 24 # preset 2
      ASS L08 = 31 32 33 34 # preset 3
      ASS L0C = 41 42 43 44 # preset 4
      ASS L10 = 51 52 53 54 # preset 5
      ASS L14 = 51 52 53 54 # preset 6
      ASS L18 = 51 52 53 54 # preset 7
      ASS L1C = 51 52 53 54 # preset 8

# incoming CC range
      ASS K1 = 10 13

# L80 - current preset
      ASS L80 = 0 +P
      MAT I0 = L80 + 1
      SET LB0 I0 +D

# L81 - top limit
      MAT L81 = K0 - 1
    END

# preset up
    IF M0 == B0 51 7F
      IF L80 < L81
        MAT L80 = L80 + 1
        MAT I0 = L80 + 1
        SET LB0 I0 +D
      END
    END

# preset dn
    IF M0 == B0 50 7F
      IF L80 > 0
        MAT L80 = L80 - 1
        MAT I0 = L80 + 1
        SET LB0 I0 +D
      END
    END

IF M0 >= B0 K1
      IF M0 <= B0 K2
        # remap CC to current preset
        MAT I0 = L80 * 4
        MAT I0 = I0 + M1
        MAT I0 = I0 - K1
        ASS M1 = LI0
      END
    END

• Oh wow, I've not even heard of StreamByter.

It looks kind of similar to Moziac.

• @Calverhall said:
    Oh wow, I've not even heard of StreamByter.

It looks kind of similar to Moziac.

Yes, it was the go-to MIDI processor that started with MidiBridge on iPad 1, maybe 10 years ago, then the standalone modular MIDI host: MidiFire and then StreamByter, the AUv3 version of the scripting engine. Although going strong with great performance, what some people disliked was the lack of UI controls (which was added recently) and kind of a programming macro language that gave many users a hard time to get something going themselves.
    Nic, the developer, has always been super-helpful though and he has effectively written many MIDI processing scripts upon user requests.
    Mozaic has come to life then, offering fixed but commonly useful UI control layouts and a programming syntax that was much more similar to what guys with some programming knowledge were used to. Plus it has a more consistent manual.
    That's what I believe are the main reasons why it's now apparently more successful than StreamByter.