Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blackhole Reverb by Eventide

Comments

• Wonder how automation friendly it is in BM3...? although... mmm, yah maybe I will wait until August and celebrate fixed automation with this buy.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:
    Now I'm not helping...

Too late. Sell the wife, sell the kids etc etc.

no kids to sell... :( (dam you fabfilter)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

@MrBlaschke said:
    Weren’t that the exact same phrases for fabfilter reverb and those others from the majority?

This reverb isn't really the same type of plugin as Pro-R.

Pro-R is a very clean algorithmic reverb that allows very fine control of the reflections by frequency (the blue EQ band at the top, so for example you can have longer reflections in the lower frequencies and shorter ones in the highs) as well as a post-effect EQ. IMO this is a pretty unique feature that allows you to tune the reverb very precisely - and one that can't really be achieved with an EQ before the reverb, or with any other iOS reverb.

Eventide Black Hole is a creative reverb that isn't trying to recreate real spaces, it's intended for much more extreme effects. There's really no reason not to own them both.

I will mention this to the wife presently :)

Please report back on how it goes. We're rooting for you and perhaps building confidence if it goes well.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

@MrBlaschke said:
    Weren’t that the exact same phrases for fabfilter reverb and those others from the majority?

This reverb isn't really the same type of plugin as Pro-R.

Pro-R is a very clean algorithmic reverb that allows very fine control of the reflections by frequency (the blue EQ band at the top, so for example you can have longer reflections in the lower frequencies and shorter ones in the highs) as well as a post-effect EQ. IMO this is a pretty unique feature that allows you to tune the reverb very precisely - and one that can't really be achieved with an EQ before the reverb, or with any other iOS reverb.

Eventide Black Hole is a creative reverb that isn't trying to recreate real spaces, it's intended for much more extreme effects. There's really no reason not to own them both.

I will mention this to the wife presently :)

Please report back on how it goes. We're rooting for you and perhaps building confidence if it goes well.

My guess is that this will be the first case where the wifey will use the „mute user“ button inside the preferences...
    Just a wild guess :D

• Insta-buy!!!!!!!!!😎👍🏼

• @MrBlaschke said:

Not for me! This one’s universal!!!! 😎👍🏼 A steal at the listed price!! 😁

• This thing is wonderful. Having some fun:

• @AudioGus Man I feel for you..... missing out on sooooooooo much coolness!!!!!! 😂

• This basically turns iPhones into insta-pedals. I'll have to buy it. 😭 I hate paying for stuff twice.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @echoopera said:
    This thing is wonderful. Having some fun:

Beautiful little composition there! Nice demo of the reverb too :smile:

• edited July 2019

This is great! I did not realize the Ultra-tap and Micropitch was out too...

• Extremely beautiful!

@echoopera said:
    This thing is wonderful. Having some fun:

• @MrBlaschke said:
    My guess is that this will be the first case where the wifey will use the „mute user“ button inside the preferences...
    Just a wild guess :D

LOL!

• @pagefall said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    This’ll please some people.

like me! :-)

>

Also interesting - Fab Filter and now Eventide coming over to iOs, and with multiple apps too - something has clearly shifted in these companies perception of iOs as a platform.

I think the primary factor is that they have now seen they can sell in the $20+ price zones...

I think the day of good $5 apps are heading into the rear view and we’ll seen be seeing VST level prices as the norm. Which is fine I suppose as long as the quality and support are 10x to match their 10x prices...

• I was just about to get into using the new Spectrum/Mutable Clouds AU but the demos of the Blackhole presets really won me over...so much character, so lush. Well worth 20 bucks.

• edited July 2019

@dendy said:

@thepinkelefant said:
    Why are there no audio demos for the iOS versions? Are they exactly the same as desktop?
    Anybody wants to share initial impressions and how it sounds ?

Totally out of any scale. Lightyears ahead ANY other reverb on iOS. This is serious thing.

Now we need just good CPU efficient convolution reverb AUv3 and we are done. Forever.

Convolution reverb is relatively easy to build. The challenge seems to be obtaining a good library of impulse responses. Would convolution reverb still be useful to you if it came with a collection of royalty free impulse responses that the developer scrounged up on the internet, plus the ability to load your own? Or would it need to have a fantastic IR library of its own in order to be truly useful?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@dendy said:

@thepinkelefant said:
    Why are there no audio demos for the iOS versions? Are they exactly the same as desktop?
    Anybody wants to share initial impressions and how it sounds ?

Totally out of any scale. Lightyears ahead ANY other reverb on iOS. This is serious thing.

Now we need just good CPU efficient convolution reverb AUv3 and we are done. Forever.

Convolution reverb is relatively easy to build. The challenge seems to be obtaining a good library of impulse responses. Would convolution reverb still be useful to you if it came with a collection of royalty free impulse responses that the developer scrounged up on the internet, plus the ability to load your own? Or would it need to have a fantastic IR library of its own in order to be truly useful?

If the price were reasonable, I would not expect a fantastic IR library.

I wonder if some purveyor of IRs might provide a few prime examples in exchange for you including a link to purchase additional IRs.

• edited July 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    Convolution reverb is relatively easy to build.

Maybe it's relative easy to build it, but not that much easy to build it to be also very efficient (in terms of CPU usage) on iOS (because of single thread lock limitation).

To have Convolution reverb which can barely handle few instances even on 1-2 years old devices in not much useable. For example Rooms! convolution reverb uses around 45-50% of Cpu on iPhone 6S, which makes it not much useable for real production .. No idea how is it with other available convolution reverbs on iOS, is there any other at least half that efficient like BlackHole (which can run 15 instances on iPhone 6S) ?

I remember back then when Covolution reverbs appeared on desktop, they were huge CPU eaters, so probably they needs to do lot more CPU sensitive calculations than average algoritmic reverb ?

The challenge seems to be obtaining a good library of impulse responses.

Don't think that Convolution reverb AUv3 needs to deliver huge library - there are tons of response available free for download on internet ..

• I think that a small library of ir's would suffice. A few good sounding plates and springs, a few rooms, cathedrals, forests, amps, and such and then people can load their own from there.

I'd personally prefer something that encourages you to roll your own than a plugin that had too many impulses preloaded.

• edited July 2019

@palm said:
    I'd personally prefer something that encourages you to roll your own than a plugin that had too many impulses preloaded.

btw. i'm looking forward to AUv3 convolution reverb primary not because of reverbation in classic sense - best part of convolution is if you load into it some melodic loop instead of normal space IR, and then you apply it to other melody.. you can get some pretty nice strange effects...

• @Blue_Mangoo don’t care much about the library at all. Just the ability to load in AUv3 so we can:

1) Finally move towards an AUv3 guitar setup/ amp sim
    2) Run multiple instances (though you may not need a lot - I think it has been generally understood that reverb should be used sparingly with CPU hits)

• @dendy said:

@palm said:

btw. i'm looking forward to AUv3 convolution reverb primary not because of reverbation in classic sense - best part of convolution is if you load into it some melodic loop instead of normal space IR, and then you apply it to other melody.. you can get some pretty nice strange effects...

exactly this ,, the convolution that originally came with Cool Edit/audition only had about 3 Impulses with it.. but you could grab a small section of an audio file in the edit window and apply it to another big file..
    of course it wasn’t a ‘real time process’ then.. but,
    this was a massive thing for designing sound for me in the early 2000’s ,, applying bits of recordings of ice cream van chimes to whole tracks to fake an ice cream van playing ‘the end’ by the doors , faking a recording of a fly trapped in a tiny glass lamp and just general weird cross pollination of types of sounds..
    the Ir library is not as important as ease of inserting yr own samples.. ie: it should auto convert wavs to .imp or just use wavs straight out the box... and preferably stereo if possible..
    I would snatch it up in Au even at premium price range most likely..
    Dooo Eeeeeet! ( before someone else does ) :)

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019
  • edited July 2019
  • @EyeOhEss
    Feel dumb for totally missing this all this time!? Can I simply just throw any audio i want in to the stock ableton convolution reverb for this? Will check it out properly when I’m home...

Yeah this should work in any Convolution reverb .. basically it doesn't matter if you load real response or some melody or even whole part of song as response in to it - it simply applies that file to processed signal.. great stuff for experimenting :)

• edited July 2019