Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is this normal?

94% DSP in AUM with 2 synths (Tines, Tardigrain), Patterning 2 and 2 fx apps (BLEASS Reverb, Kleverb) running. Xequence 2 running in background.
iPad Pro 2018
Sample rate 48k (apparently this can’t be changed)
Buffer size 256
Bit depth 24

Comments

• @Steaders said:
    94% DSP in AUM with 2 synths, Patterning 2 and 2 fx apps running. Xequence 2 running in background.
    iPad Pro 2018
    Buffer size 256
    Bit depth 24

That isn't typical. Sounds like time to power down your iPad and power back up.

What OS?

• edited July 2019

12.3.1 (the latest)
    I’ll try a restart. Thanks.

• @Steaders said:
    94% DSP in AUM with 2 synths (Tines, Tardigrain), Patterning 2 and 2 fx apps (BLEASS Reverb, Kleverb) running. Xequence 2 running in background.
    iPad Pro 2018
    Buffer size 256
    Bit depth 24

Do you have RE-1 or Rozeta Collider? Try adding one instance of those, and display its UI

• @jipumarino
    Sorry for the delayed response. Was traveling. I don’t have RE-1. As @espiegel123 suggested, I did a restart and that got it down to around 44%
    I’ll try Rozeta Collider if it happens again. Curious, what is the reason?

• @Steaders said:
    @jipumarino
    Sorry for the delayed response. Was traveling. I don’t have RE-1. As @espiegel123 suggested, I did a restart and that got it down to around 44%

At this point, just a theory, really: I can consistently lower my CPU usage (which in my case, when it goes near 100%, results in actual crackling), by keeping open what I could define as a "UI-heavy" plugin. My interpretation of this behavior is that the GUI activity prevents CPU throttling from kicking in.

• @jipumarino said:

@Steaders said:
    @jipumarino

At this point, just a theory, really: I can consistently lower my CPU usage (which in my case, when it goes near 100%, results in actual crackling), by keeping open what I could define as a "UI-heavy" plugin. My interpretation of this behavior is that the GUI activity prevents CPU throttling from kicking in.

I suspect given how high the CPU meter was that there was some background process or zombie that needed killing.

• valid assumption :+1:

• Interesting theory.

I’ve noticed that if I have enough midi routes set up to different audio sources that were playing fine in their own just a minute ago, and say I change the midi - via Cality Autony etc, that audio crackle sets in as the CPU spikes as well.

I wouldn’t say that Cality or Autony are graphically heavy but it may be my usage.

It does feel like what you say is true though. GUIs seem to hit the CPU differently than the processing audio.

• edited July 2019

This is the video I recorded a while ago to show what happens (and continues to happen, even if I just restarted my ipad) in my case:

(Yes, it's a horrible video, but the point is: a constant arpeggio is pushing CPU to 99% and producing crackles – which of course I didn't record. Just opening the RE-1 GUI lowers it to around 22%.)

• Can we shift to a general "best practices" for "observability" on IOS devices?

For this scenario I would:

1. save the AUM project file.
    2. kill AUM
    3. re-start and reload the previous project or load the saved project

Is the DSP still at 94%?

I remember buying an App so I could get clues about RAM usage. It is called "System Status" but I suspect it has been abandoned.

How would others locate the potential Zombie App before a reboot? Check the "Settings -> Battery" battery usage app list?

I like "observability" and IOS keeps too much info hidden from the user. It's really not anything like a
    multi-tasking, multi-core "realtime" Operating System but an appliance design that's good enough for
    many use cases but an opaque black box to the technical user and probably for the developer too.

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

Another clickbait title.

Please be more nice to your potential readers and contributors and add what you talk about or ask about to the very title / subject!

"Is this normal?" is not very nice!

In your case, @Steaders an easy fix would be this:

"Is this high DSP normal in AUM with some few Apps?"

We need more moderators :-|

• @jipumarino said:
    This is the video I recorded a while ago to show what happens (and continues to happen, even if I just restarted my ipad) in my case:

(Yes, it's a horrible video, but the point is: a constant arpeggio is pushing CPU to 99% and producing crackles – which of course I didn't record. Just opening the RE-1 GUI lowers it to around 22%.)

What hardware and OS are you running?

• 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro, iOS 12.1.4. My 9.7" 2017 iPad exhibits the same behavior but the change is less dramatic, I assume that's because the threshold for kicking it out of throttling is lower.

• @jipumarino said:
    12.9" 2018 iPad Pro, iOS 12.1.4. My 9.7" 2017 iPad exhibits the same behavior but the change is less dramatic, I assume that's because the threshold for kicking it out of throttling is lower.

If I am not mistaken, more recent iOS releases have addressed the throttling and priority of the audio thread.

I don't have a pro, but the impression that I have is that the current OS release is better with no drawbacks compared to the earlier 12.x releases.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@jipumarino said:
    12.9" 2018 iPad Pro, iOS 12.1.4. My 9.7" 2017 iPad exhibits the same behavior but the change is less dramatic, I assume that's because the threshold for kicking it out of throttling is lower.

If I am not mistaken, more recent iOS releases have addressed the throttling and priority of the audio thread.

I don't have a pro, but the impression that I have is that the current OS release is better with no drawbacks compared to the earlier 12.x releases.

Gah, sorry! That video was on 12.1.4. I'm on the newest release now and it's still the same. To clarify: it works wonderfully with this rather cumbersome workaround, with many instruments and effects.

• @tja said:
    Another clickbait title.

Please be more nice to your potential readers and contributors and add what you talk about or ask about to the very title / subject!

"Is this normal?" is not very nice!

In your case, @Steaders an easy fix would be this:

"Is this high DSP normal in AUM with some few Apps?"

We need more moderators :-|

Haha, you are like the Dear Abby for forum etiquette, aren't you. It's cool, everyone's a stickler for something, just a long-time observation.

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

I just like a forum to be useful and readable, @oat_phipps :)
    And I try to better the situation.
    A bit.
    Possibly.

:)

You know Don Quixote?
    :D

• @tja said:
    I just like a forum to be useful and readable, @oat_phipps :)
    And I try to better the situation.
    A bit.
    Possibly.

:)

You know Don Quixote?
    :D

Usually, I AM Don Quixote!
    B)

• Hehe, seems we are two, at least :#

• @tja
    You keep being you and i’ll keep being me. 😉👍🏻

• @Steaders said:
    @tja
    You keep being you and i’ll keep being me. 😉👍🏻

Many thanks for your part in making the forum less usable and less of a joy.
    I'm proud of you.

• edited July 2019

@tja
    I apologize that me not doing what you want makes your life so unbearable.
    Have you considered starting a forum where you’re the only member?
    Based on your many other complaints here, I feel like it’s your best solution to true happiness

• @jipumarino said:

@Steaders said:
    @jipumarino

I think you are right. I notice a performance hit or weird glitches with sugar bytes apps open and the kai apps.

• Ok. It worked. I call the inner-working group of the Forum to order. We need to remove some offensive contributors from the site starting with....

• @McD said:
    Ok. It worked. I call the inner-working group of the Forum to order. We need to remove some offensive contributors from the site starting with....

Me (Under The Influence Edition).

Scotch and Coke Zero 11:45am at my office desk.

Intervention required, this has crossed a boundary.

Back to the bickering.

• @Steaders said:
    @tja
    I apologize that me not doing what you want makes your life so unbearable.
    Have you considered starting a forum where you’re the only member?
    Based on your many other complaints here. I feel like it’s your best solution to true happiness

You don't seem to get the point.
    Whatever....

• then let’s just agree to disagree.

• Now, is this normal?

• @JackDwyerburger said:

@jipumarino said:

@Steaders said:
    @jipumarino

I think you are right. I notice a performance hit or weird glitches with sugar bytes apps open and the kai apps.

My additional guess is that the performance hit is actually quite low, but it is steady enough to prevent throttling.