Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUv3 CV

This is perhaps the holy grail now for iOS (or iPadOS in the near future) music apps.

Imagine a suite similar to Rozeta by @brambos . Or a MIDI to CV AudioUnit. Heck a Mozaic that spoke CV down a DC coupled interface would be incredible.

Im excited for Ableton’s CV tools but I rarely use Ableton Live as the source of my ideas now and would rather not take my Macbook out of my studio for shows/collaboration.

I see faint rumours of an Audulus 4.

zMors Modular could use a freshen up, perhaps pushed as an improved AudioUnit host.

But over all Id like to further merge my AUM workflow with the Eurorack world.

Pipe dream? Or are there developers ahead of the curve on this forum?

EDIT : I do mean in conjunction with a DC coupled interface.

Comments

  • @Calverhall said:
    This is perhaps the holy grail now for iOS (or iPadOS in the near future) music apps.

    Imagine a suite similar to Rozeta by @brambos . Or a MIDI to CV AudioUnit. Heck a Mozaic that spoke CV down a DC coupled interface would be incredible.

    Im excited for Ableton’s CV tools but I rarely use Ableton Live as the source of my ideas now and would rather not take my Macbook out of my studio for shows/collaboration.

    I see faint rumours of an Audulus 4.

    zMors Modular could use a freshen up, perhaps pushed as an improved AudioUnit host.

    But over all Id lije to further merge my AUM workflow with the Eurorack world.

    Pipe dream? Or are there developers ahead of the curve on this forum?

    I think it’s mostly down to interface. DC coupled interfaces are still a minority.

    But you can do pretty much everything through midi (well except the resolution) with something like this
    https://elevatorsound.com/product/six4pix-cv-ocd-midi-cv-converter-box-black/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNeK4Jq34wIVxbHtCh2btQotEAQYAyABEgI4kfD_BwE
    compact, highly customisable, plenty of outputs...

  • edited July 2019

    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

  • @recccp said:

    @Calverhall said:
    This is perhaps the holy grail now for iOS (or iPadOS in the near future) music apps.

    Imagine a suite similar to Rozeta by @brambos . Or a MIDI to CV AudioUnit. Heck a Mozaic that spoke CV down a DC coupled interface would be incredible.

    Im excited for Ableton’s CV tools but I rarely use Ableton Live as the source of my ideas now and would rather not take my Macbook out of my studio for shows/collaboration.

    I see faint rumours of an Audulus 4.

    zMors Modular could use a freshen up, perhaps pushed as an improved AudioUnit host.

    But over all Id lije to further merge my AUM workflow with the Eurorack world.

    Pipe dream? Or are there developers ahead of the curve on this forum?

    I think it’s mostly down to interface. DC coupled interfaces are still a minority.

    But you can do pretty much everything through midi (well except the resolution) with something like this
    https://elevatorsound.com/product/six4pix-cv-ocd-midi-cv-converter-box-black/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNeK4Jq34wIVxbHtCh2btQotEAQYAyABEgI4kfD_BwE
    compact, highly customisable, plenty of outputs...

    Not AUv3 but Audulus is used by many with the Expert Sleepers interface for cv-related stuff. I gather some eurorack developers even use Audulus during the design phase as they work up proofs-of-concept.

  • Ah ha so Audulus 4 will bring AUv3!

    What other new features?

  • @Calverhall said:
    This is perhaps the holy grail now for iOS (or iPadOS in the near future) music apps.

    Imagine a suite similar to Rozeta by @brambos . Or a MIDI to CV AudioUnit. Heck a Mozaic that spoke CV down a DC coupled interface would be incredible.

    Im excited for Ableton’s CV tools but I rarely use Ableton Live as the source of my ideas now and would rather not take my Macbook out of my studio for shows/collaboration.

    I see faint rumours of an Audulus 4.

    zMors Modular could use a freshen up, perhaps pushed as an improved AudioUnit host.

    But over all Id like to further merge my AUM workflow with the Eurorack world.

    Pipe dream? Or are there developers ahead of the curve on this forum?

    EDIT : I do mean in conjunction with a DC coupled interface.

    Well it's currently possible with Rozeta>Audulus right?

    auv3 would be sexy. I've been using CV tools with my Motu 16a and it's A+.

  • @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

  • I am using a Korg SQ-1 sequencer for that purpose. On top of an analog sequencer and USB/CV interface you get a rock solid metal box for a very affordable price. It does all the standard CV voltages (V/oct, V/Hz etc.).

  • @Calverhall said:

    @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

    The dev works on it steadily and won’t make predictions about when it will be released. It is quite far along. He basically got out of high-pressure commercial development years ago so as to not be ruled by timeline predictions.

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

    The dev works on it steadily and won’t make predictions about when it will be released. It is quite far along. He basically got out of high-pressure commercial development years ago so as to not be ruled by timeline predictions.

    Well that's cool. I had a run at Audulus 3 when I knew much less than I do now a few years back, could really use an up to date version to get my teeth in now.

    I am really fond of using miRack but wish it had the library of modules that VCV has. That said VCV could do with a big update to be made M1 native.

  • @Calverhall said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

    The dev works on it steadily and won’t make predictions about when it will be released. It is quite far along. He basically got out of high-pressure commercial development years ago so as to not be ruled by timeline predictions.

    Well that's cool. I had a run at Audulus 3 when I knew much less than I do now a few years back, could really use an up to date version to get my teeth in now.

    I am really fond of using miRack but wish it had the library of modules that VCV has. That said VCV could do with a big update to be made M1 native.

    You might contact them to see if beta is still open.

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

    The dev works on it steadily and won’t make predictions about when it will be released. It is quite far along. He basically got out of high-pressure commercial development years ago so as to not be ruled by timeline predictions.

    Well that's cool. I had a run at Audulus 3 when I knew much less than I do now a few years back, could really use an up to date version to get my teeth in now.

    I am really fond of using miRack but wish it had the library of modules that VCV has. That said VCV could do with a big update to be made M1 native.

    You might contact them to see if beta is still open.

    I don't really want to play with betas, I was just hoping it wasn't abandoned and may even be close to release. Seen as the project hasn't got anywhere near the interest of same Drambo for instance. I guess iPad music is niche and iPad and eurorack CV crossover even more so, but its kind of the area that excites me most.

  • @Calverhall said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Calverhall said:

    @[Deleted User] said:
    Audulus 4 isn’t a rumor, they’re in the early stages of beta testing. Expert Sleepers make USB class compliant CV/audio interfaces for Eurorack.

    Any update on Audulus 4?

    The dev works on it steadily and won’t make predictions about when it will be released. It is quite far along. He basically got out of high-pressure commercial development years ago so as to not be ruled by timeline predictions.

    Well that's cool. I had a run at Audulus 3 when I knew much less than I do now a few years back, could really use an up to date version to get my teeth in now.

    I am really fond of using miRack but wish it had the library of modules that VCV has. That said VCV could do with a big update to be made M1 native.

    You might contact them to see if beta is still open.

    I don't really want to play with betas, I was just hoping it wasn't abandoned and may even be close to release. Seen as the project hasn't got anywhere near the interest of same Drambo for instance. I guess iPad music is niche and iPad and eurorack CV crossover even more so, but its kind of the area that excites me most.

    The software is quite usable in its current state—as stable as a lot if released software, and I think there are various things that the developer is wanting to explore (like recently added graphics support ) .

  • @espiegel123 said:
    You might contact them to see if beta is still open.

    My beta expired time ago, don’t know if Audulus is still developed

  • @Synthi said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    You might contact them to see if beta is still open.

    My beta expired time ago, don’t know if Audulus is still developed

    The beta is ongoing. There was a new build in the past few days and there is a Discord for discussing it. A very long time ago there might have been an updated beta -- but that would have been long long ago. Maybe people that weren't visiting the Discord set up for the beta didn't see the updated invlte? (If that was the case that happened a pretty long time ago (maybe a year ago?)

  • edited September 27

    There’s CoVariant $7.99 - Midi to CV/Gate Audio Units. Not exactly sure if it’s what you’re looking for but might be worth a look.

    Lol, just realized this thread was started over 3 years ago.

  • Same developer makes CVquencer too $9.99

  • @Poppadocrock said:
    There’s CoVariant $7.99 - Midi to CV/Gate Audio Units. Not exactly sure if it’s what you’re looking for but might be worth a look.

    Lol, just realized this thread was started over 3 years ago.

    @Poppadocrock said:
    Same developer makes CVquencer too $9.99

    They both useful. But seen as its been three years, Im curious where we are at.

    Audulus 4 I hope is still on track, I’d be curious to get on the Discord, but generally speaking I feel it is an under utilised concept for developers.

    What about Drambo? I’m not much of a user but since I started this thread, it gained the kind of features to talk to a DC coupled interface has it not? If that is the case what has that experience been like for those playing with that aspect?

  • @Calverhall said:

    @Poppadocrock said:
    There’s CoVariant $7.99 - Midi to CV/Gate Audio Units. Not exactly sure if it’s what you’re looking for but might be worth a look.

    Lol, just realized this thread was started over 3 years ago.

    @Poppadocrock said:
    Same developer makes CVquencer too $9.99

    They both useful. But seen as its been three years, Im curious where we are at.

    Audulus 4 I hope is still on track, I’d be curious to get on the Discord, but generally speaking I feel it is an under utilised concept for developers.

    What about Drambo? I’m not much of a user but since I started this thread, it gained the kind of features to talk to a DC coupled interface has it not? If that is the case what has that experience been like for those playing with that aspect?

    Hasn't it always been able to talk to a DC-couple interface?

  • I don't know, this why I'm asking, but I'm sure it didn't when I last used Drambo not long after it came out. Either way, how have Drambo users found it?

  • having tried covariant, mirack, and drambo to interface with my Expert Sleepers gear, Drambo wins out for ease of use and fun factor.

    Being that Drambo can host both mirack and covariant, you can get as complex as you like with it. For example, I need expert sleepers encoders to use my ES5 Expert Sleepers gate and cv expanders. Drambo can't do this natively, but covariant and mirack both can.

    Much more fun than trying to use Ableton with eurorack gear. That was just clunky.

    Bitwig presently has most of my attention, especially paired with VCV 2. But Drambo is the best if you'd like to stick to iOS.

  • @palms said:
    having tried covariant, mirack, and drambo to interface with my Expert Sleepers gear, Drambo wins out for ease of use and fun factor.

    Being that Drambo can host both mirack and covariant, you can get as complex as you like with it. For example, I need expert sleepers encoders to use my ES5 Expert Sleepers gate and cv expanders. Drambo can't do this natively, but covariant and mirack both can.

    Much more fun than trying to use Ableton with eurorack gear. That was just clunky.

    Bitwig presently has most of my attention, especially paired with VCV 2. But Drambo is the best if you'd like to stick to iOS.

    How were you able to get Covariant working with ES5 expanders? I couldn't figure it out. If you have a template or can show a simple setup that would be super helpful? Thanks!

  • @Gravitas is documenting his progress with this sort of thing here

    https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussion/comment/40629#Comment_40629

  • @auxmux said:

    @palms said:
    having tried covariant, mirack, and drambo to interface with my Expert Sleepers gear, Drambo wins out for ease of use and fun factor.

    Being that Drambo can host both mirack and covariant, you can get as complex as you like with it. For example, I need expert sleepers encoders to use my ES5 Expert Sleepers gate and cv expanders. Drambo can't do this natively, but covariant and mirack both can.

    Much more fun than trying to use Ableton with eurorack gear. That was just clunky.

    Bitwig presently has most of my attention, especially paired with VCV 2. But Drambo is the best if you'd like to stick to iOS.

    How were you able to get Covariant working with ES5 expanders? I couldn't figure it out. If you have a template or can show a simple setup that would be super helpful? Thanks!

    oof, I wish I had a template for you. Tbh, I found (and still find) covariant to be quite counterintuitive.

    Essentially in the encoder plugin you need to set it to the interface and outputs (7/8 are standard for the ES9 which I'm using)
    from there, your 8 ES5 outputs are set up in the first row, and then if you have more expander modules, they are set accordingly on the next rows.

    I found it to be wayyy too fidgety and was happy when I realized I could accomplish the same thing (and much more) in mirack.

    The biggest obstacle I would run into is when going for multiple channels in a daw, where the encoder can only receive one stereo pair. Thus the solution of a mirack midi->CV module (per midi channel) receiving midi from a daw does the trick for multichannel sequencing.

    Sorry, very sleepy at the moment, pm me if you need actual help getting things working - I'm not pro, but happy to help!

  • btw, the dev of covariant is super nice and even though it didn't stick, his explanation of how to set up the encoders helped me get it working for the most part.

  • Thanks @palms. I'll give it another shot. I tried with miRack as well but I couldn't get the expanders to work properly, which are just fine using VCV rack. I'll reach once I try it again.

  • @auxmux said:
    Thanks @palms. I'll give it another shot.

    I'm the developer of CoVariant, so if you need any help then please let me know either via the forum or through the support page on the website: recurcv.com/support.html and I'll do my best to help you get things working. I haven't been around here for quite a while thanks to another non-audio related project that's taken far longer to complete than I originally expected.

    The way EncoderAU works isn't exactly ideal because it needs to cater for the fact that it has to take its inputs on multiple stereo busses; things may have changed, but at the time I wrote it I don't think there were any hosts that would handle multi-channel busses. The alternative would have been the kind of scheme used by Expert Sleepers Silent Way where you need a chain of multiple encoders, one for each input; I didn't go that way because it would have been an even bigger nightmare to set up. ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.