Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buchaudulus - Audulus patch for "west coast" style synthesis

I've posted an Audulus patch that I created to explore Buchla-style synthesis over on the Audulus forum:

https://forum.audulus.com/t/buchaudulus/2048

Here a few tracks that I created with it:

Krellnick's First Apple is a pseudo-Krell patch put together to help explore the Buchaudulus parameter space.

Comments

• Bloody hell, this is fantastic! It also got my IPad to surrender and ask for mercy, lol.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

I finally found something that makes me glad I purchased Audulus for my Mac.
    Really fun poking about in the modules and hearing things change. I have no idea what
    anything is but that's also part of the fun... like a musical puzzle box.

It looks like it was a huge undertaking t make this but it's freakin' magical for anyone that likes
    generative apps. It's got that early synthesis vibe before it became another instrumental voice.

It's the music of robots when they party.

Your musical projects gave me the energy to figure out how to install and play it.

• @Philandering_Bastard: glad you like it.

@McD said:
    I finally found something that makes me glad I purchased Audulus for my Mac.
    Really fun poking about in the modules and hearing things change. I have no idea what
    anything is but that's also part of the fun... like a musical puzzle box.

It looks like it was a huge undertaking t make this but it's freakin' magical for anyone that likes
    generative apps. It's got that early synthesis vibe before it became another instrumental voice.

It's the music of robots when they party.

Your musical projects gave me the energy to figure out how to install and play it.

Thanks. Btw, you can use it non-generatively, too. The Pulser module can be set to MIDI. You can then play it via MIDI. The sequencer module can be bypassed.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to fully document it. If there is enough interest, I'll make some short tutorials.

• Great patches thanks!

Really looking forward to an Audulus update or Audulus 4. Getting some big cpu spikes in AUM. It's going to be great to use modules as AUs although I'm going to imagine the cpu hit will still be high.

There are some essential things (for me) in Audulus I hope Taylor gets around to developing. Eg undo and "save as" like the desktop versions. Finding the workflow difficult without these and it keeps me away from using the app. :)

• @espiegel123 said: If there is enough interest, I'll make some short tutorials.

Pretty please? 🧁🍒🍾

• Yeah, that was super man! I love adults but I DO need tutorials too. I will send you some bonus karma points I have on reserve ok.... Cheers

• I love audulus haha

• @espiegel123 said:
    Thanks. Btw, you can use it non-generatively, too. The Pulser module can be set to MIDI. You can then play it via MIDI. The sequencer module can be bypassed.

Nice. Now I have a good reason to install it on my iPad too.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to fully document it. If there is enough interest, I'll make some short tutorials.

Do you get much feedback on the Audulus Forum? Your downloadable module is an exceptional contribution to the platform compared to what I have tried in the past. It start playing immediately.
    Very powerful and fun to twiddle. Can't wait to see what it does for my keyboard MIDI input and what
    IOS Generators might do like "Stravinski" (which is a free standalone MIDI generator app). It will probably continue to work for another 5 years like all my IAA apps and I will probably freeze and iPad and get a new one when it stops working after some future upgrade.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

Do you get much feedback on the Audulus Forum? Your downloadable module is an exceptional contribution to the platform compared to what I have tried in the past. It start playing immediately.
    Very powerful and fun to twiddle. Can't wait to see what it does for my keyboard MIDI input and what
    IOS Generators might do like "Stravinski" (which is a free standalone MIDI generator app). It will probably continue to work for another 5 years like all my IAA apps and I will probably freeze and iPad and get a new one when it stops working after some future upgrade.

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

I have Beatmaker 1 and NanoStudio 1 running on an IOS 9 iPad. They work as intended.

• Thanks, this is very well done.

Audulus and the user library generally is rich source of inspiration and tweakability.

• On the basic patch you can press the midi switches in the pulser and then send midi to the Audulus port in AUM for example :)

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Thanks, this is very well done.

Audulus and the user library generally is rich source of inspiration and tweakability.

Are there any more rumblings about an update that would let us use it in the FX slot (audio and/or MIDI) in a DAW?

• @McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Are there any more rumblings about an update that would let us use it in the FX slot (audio and/or MIDI) in a DAW?

Audulus 4 is coming with AU support, sometime this year I think...

• @Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

It's good to have hope that this will come to pass. I think it will bring more of the truly clueless to the platform. It's the a category for the "truly clueless" on their forum or should be just stay here and post "WTF" style threads?

Hey, Audulus, WTF? How does this damn thing work? Please reply with Video Tutorials and downloadable
    "Presets".

• @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

It's good to have hope that this will come to pass. I think it will bring more of the truly clueless to the platform. It's the a category for the "truly clueless" on their forum or should be just stay here and post "WTF" style threads?

Hey, Audulus, WTF? How does this damn thing work? Please reply with Video Tutorials and downloadable
    "Presets".

I’d pay for v4 happily, I’m not clueless but don’t have the time/motivation to build from scratch so picking and mixing from other people is my go to.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

"Presets".

I’d pay for v4 happily, I’m not clueless but don’t have the time/motivation to build from scratch so picking and mixing from other people is my go to.

Same here, no time to build from scratch. AU will bring possibility of presets which I think is not easy for them to add in the standalone, I asked them before. The problems I have with the standalone is the autosave stops from going back if you break something, which I often do when I get lost... so you need to keeps copies of the master patch and it all gets a bit confusing. :)

• @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

"Presets".

There are some good tutorials from Robert Syrette called "know your nodes" on YouTube.

The Audulus forum is a great place to get help. There are some generous knowledgeable people there that help folks out.

Btw, Audulus CAN be used in AUM in the Effects slot. Since it is IAA, you can only have one instance. There are some great modules people have written including a nice envelope follower/auto-wah.

• edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

"Presets".

Same here, no time to build from scratch. AU will bring possibility of presets which I think is not easy for them to add in the standalone, I asked them before. The problems I have with the standalone is the autosave stops from going back if you break something, which I often do when I get lost... so you need to keeps copies of the master patch and it all gets a bit confusing. :)

That is an annoying aspect. I have gotten into the habit of always working from a copy and periodically exit the patch to save a copy

• @Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

There is no announced date. I think Taylor hopes that it will be out some time this year. I think a lot has to be written to make AU work reliably and to make it possible to pass a module's u.i. Up from a subpatch. and there are major new features.

• @McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Already possible. It doesn't send MIDI out, though.

• @TheVimFuego said:

Do you think V4 will have a new cost? (In for a penny...).

I think using solid code built by others is a good practice to save time and get something finished quicker. I used to make scripts in perl using modules that had some IT programmers wondering
    how I could automated their IT applications without having access to source code.

When the head of IT found out what my scripts could do he had them deleted from the company servers to protect the "database". They just automated data entry into Excel and a forms-based app. The programmers that solved the Excel and "Terminal emulation" issues were gifted beyond my pay grade.

My programs dropped data entry of a sales order entry from 4 hours to 3 seconds. They made the
    workers keep typing those fields into the order entry application until they quit with carpal tunnel after 2-3 years. I quit and went somewhere where I could create solutions and avoid gatekeepers. I ended up
    with new gatekeepers and just retired.

Audulus looks like a open environment for musical mayhem... a musical "erector set" or Tinker-ing Toy.
    Tricky but probably fun for the right type of mind. I just didn't hear much that sounded interesting... lots of bloops and splats. @espiegel123's bloops and splats have some character!

• @espiegel123 said:
    I've posted an Audulus patch that I created to explore Buchla-style synthesis over on the Audulus forum:

Wow, what a great patch! And weird enough to get me going :D
    Thank you very much for posting this. Lovely.

• @McD said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Do you think V4 will have a new cost? (In for a penny...).

I think using solid code built by others is a good practice to save time and get something finished quicker. I used to make scripts in perl using modules that had some IT programmers wondering
    how I could automated their IT applications without having access to source code.

When the head of IT found out what my scripts could do he had them deleted from the company servers to protect the "database". They just automated data entry into Excel and a forms-based app. The programmers that solved the Excel and "Terminal emulation" issues were gifted beyond my pay grade.

My programs dropped data entry of a sales order entry from 4 hours to 3 seconds. They made the
    workers keep typing those fields into the order entry application until they quit with carpal tunnel after 2-3 years. I quit and went somewhere where I could create solutions and avoid gatekeepers. I ended up
    with new gatekeepers and just retired.

Audulus looks like a open environment for musical mayhem... a musical "erector set" or Tinker-ing Toy.
    Tricky but probably fun for the right type of mind. I just didn't hear much that sounded interesting... lots of bloops and splats. @espiegel123's bloops and splats have some character!

Audulus 4 will be a new app I believe. I am not on their beta list or anything. But I recall a discussion here in which their comms guy said that A4 would be a separate app and not an upgrade -- which given its low-cost relative to the engineering behind it seems reasonable.

There are a TON of excellent modules available for Audulus. It is worth tracking down the link (if you haven't already downloaded it) to the complete library of things posted to the Audulus forum as of about 1 year ago. And, in the meantime, there have been a load of excellent modules. One of my Buchaudulus example files has an awesome feedback-capable filter bank created by stschoen and posted over on the Audulus forum.

Lots of goodness to be found over there.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Wow, what a great patch! And weird enough to get me going :D
    Thank you very much for posting this. Lovely.

Enjoy -- and be sure to take a look at the examples pack -- lots to get your head explo(d)(r)ing

• I've gotten an Audulus tips and tricks page started on the wiki. Feel free to add your own:

https://wiki.audiob.us/audulus_tips_and_tricks

• @espiegel123 said:
    explo(d)(r)ing

Took me a second. I think I prefer Regular Expression format:

explo{d|r}ing

If the use of {}'s is wrong someone will set me straight. Should it be [d|r] or (d|r)?
    Did regex kill perl? Or did perl just die of a delayed update? Is there an AUv3 Perl
    interpreter for MIDI FX? Why not. Ruby? Python? Does Mosaic's scripting language have a cool name?
    BosL?

• edited July 2019

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    explo(d)(r)ing

Took me a second. I think I prefer Regular Expression format:

explo{d|r}ing

If the use of {}'s is wrong someone will set me straight. Should it be [d|r] or (d|r)?
    Did regex kill perl? Or did perl just die of a delayed update? Is there an AUv3 Perl
    interpreter for MIDI FX? Why not. Ruby? Python? Does Mosaic's scripting language have a cool name?
    BosL?

GNU re would be "(d|r)" or just [dr] but of course we could start a discussion about the different style RE's :D

@espiegel123 Thanks, I almost missed the examples!

• @rs2000 said:

They will keep your head-spinning but also give a sense of the range of the system. The krell example (it is really more of a pseudo-krell) makes use of a lot flavors of semi-random functions that I have built but not yet documented. I mostly put it together so that I could let it run and randomize parameters in such a way that I could get a sense of the timbral-possibilities since this style of synthesis is fairly new to me (compared to the 45 years of experience I have with subtractive synthesis).

Over time, I will document more of the stuff over on the Buchaudulus home page on the Audulus forum.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

They will keep your head-spinning but also give a sense of the range of the system. The krell example (it is really more of a pseudo-krell) makes use of a lot flavors of semi-random functions that I have built but not yet documented. I mostly put it together so that I could let it run and randomize parameters in such a way that I could get a sense of the timbral-possibilities since this style of synthesis is fairly new to me (compared to the 45 years of experience I have with subtractive synthesis).

Over time, I will document more of the stuff over on the Buchaudulus home page on the Audulus forum.

There are some incredible modules on the user forum. Very handy for diving into the more complex tricks.

• Amazing patch!!!! I’ll play tonight.....

Audulus 4 could be one of the only apps that I would pay $100 or more on iOS