Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUv3 Beat Stutter/Looper Effect?

Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

Comments

  • I think 4pockets Atomic can do that.
    https://appsliced.co/app?n=atomizer-auv3-plugin&l=list

    Atomizer, sorry...

  • Sugarbytes Turnado

  • Maybe check out audio damages Replicant

  • GlitchBreaks (IAA only though :| ) is hella fun.
    GlitchBreaks by Alex Matheu https://apps.apple.com/us/app/glitchbreaks/id520451538

  • But yeh. Turnado.

  • @Halftone said:
    Maybe check out audio damages Replicant

    @BroCoast said:
    Sugarbytes Turnado

    +1 for both of these.

    Turnado is a lot dearer but it has a lot more options. Great for improv/live use, and easy to discover new effects. Powerful modulation options. I get CPU spikes with Turnado sometimes but maybe just my setup.

    Replicant will do beat slicing but not so much of the slowdown/speed up though it does have pitching effects, but it’s light on CPU memory. Simpler that Turnado but does one thing and does it very well.

  • Thanks all around, Turnado was exactly what I needed and the best part is I apparently bought it already

  • @pink_sky said:
    Thanks all around, Turnado was exactly what I needed and the best part is I apparently bought it already

    Level 5 app hoarder spotted.

    That's great. Happens to me all the time!

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @pink_sky said:
    Thanks all around, Turnado was exactly what I needed and the best part is I apparently bought it already

    Yup it is a beast which needs a bit of taming to get musical results rather than spluttering chaos but it’ll have you slicing and dicing in no time.

  • @craftycurate said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Thanks all around, Turnado was exactly what I needed and the best part is I apparently bought it already

    Yup it is a beast which needs a bit of taming to get musical results rather than spluttering chaos but it’ll have you slicing and dicing in no time.

    Yah, gets way more useful when you more or less ignore the presets and go digging under the hood. No real idea how most of it works but I can fudge and smear it ok enough.

  • Turnado can glitch? I'm begging for some Turnado video overviews.
    I bought it and it didn't do much that I could understand so I didn't go back.
    It's deep but obviously very powerful but intimidating like ApeMatrix or any
    sufficiently powerful app. Of course, it's an effect and ApeMatrix is a DAW but both
    are deep and other simple options tend to get more use.

  • @McD said:
    Turnado can glitch? I'm begging for some Turnado video overviews.
    I bought it and it didn't do much that I could understand so I didn't go back.
    It's deep but obviously very powerful but intimidating like ApeMatrix or any
    sufficiently powerful app. Of course, it's an effect and ApeMatrix is a DAW but both
    are deep and other simple options tend to get more use.

    I bet you'd prefer using Effectrix, especially for stuttering and glitching.
    It doesn't have the fiddly, overloaded UI of Turnado and it's powerful in its own way.
    And one day it might become an AUv3 (and AudioShare capable of loading AUv3 too :))

  • edited July 15

    Don't forget to autoinvite yourself to one of dictator's parties. They're great!

  • @rs2000 said:

    @McD said:
    Turnado can glitch? I'm begging for some Turnado video overviews.
    I bought it and it didn't do much that I could understand so I didn't go back.
    It's deep but obviously very powerful but intimidating like ApeMatrix or any
    sufficiently powerful app. Of course, it's an effect and ApeMatrix is a DAW but both
    are deep and other simple options tend to get more use.

    I bet you'd prefer using Effectrix, especially for stuttering and glitching.
    It doesn't have the fiddly, overloaded UI of Turnado and it's powerful in its own way.
    And one day it might become an AUv3 (and AudioShare capable of loading AUv3 too :))

    Effectrix is a super nice quick chill little brother and I go to it way more than Turnado even if it isn't an AU yet. I just manipulate loops and render them out, making little piles of Effectrixed source material then chop it up in BM3. I also do the same on desktop with Grossbeat, Looperator and StutterFX. I just feed them BM3 exported stems, mix em up and then Dropbox em back to BM3. Helps take the iOS stink out of my beats.

    PS. It may be placebo but I think Turnado actually sounds a ton better on desktop. I think it has better timing and the filters are more robust or something... although... I am prone to placebo...

  • +1 for Effectrix and Turnado. I use a lot of clip launching play as well and I like Turnado for live stuff and Effectrix when I’m experimenting in the lab

  • @AudioGus said:
    PS. It may be placebo but I think Turnado actually sounds a ton better on desktop. I think it has better timing and the filters are more robust or something... although... I am prone to placebo...

    Interesting. I kind of noticed it's not as tight when touch activating but I blame that on my skills. :)

  • @AudioGus said:

    @craftycurate said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Thanks all around, Turnado was exactly what I needed and the best part is I apparently bought it already

    Yup it is a beast which needs a bit of taming to get musical results rather than spluttering chaos but it’ll have you slicing and dicing in no time.

    Yah, gets way more useful when you more or less ignore the presets and go digging under the hood. No real idea how most of it works but I can fudge and smear it ok enough.

    I've started going through the effects one by one to get a feel for their capabilities. Then I'll build back up and start assembling some useful racks which cover the right bases.

    Also, the modulation section for each effect is pretty complex and will need to do a deeper manual dive to get my head round that so that's next on the list.

  • +1 for Atomizer

    I own Turnado and didn't realize it could do that either...

  • edited July 17

    @pink_sky said:
    Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

    Turnado is great, but I find the effects heavy handed and overkill a lot of the time. It doesn’t do subtle very well.

    If you’re really looking for something similar to the SP-404, what you need to get is FlyTape.

    They’re not really marketing it as such, but the effects are basically copies of the popular SP-404 performance techniques you see folks do in videos:

    looper, stutter, half speed, reverse, lofi, saturation, pitched stop, etc. all pushed in and out using momentary buttons.

    All the function have dedicated MIDI CC.

    I bough FlyTape when first came out a year ago and honestly forgot about it until I bought a SP-404 this spring and started thinking, “these FX sound familiar”.

    With the 404 you have to actually perform the FX by engaging the buttons in various ways and twisting knobs, so there’s a lot of variation and you have practice it to sound good. On Flytape you’re just holding down a button so it’s more simple and static, but still a cheap way to get that type of sound.

  • edited July 17

    @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

    Turnado is great, but I find the effects heavy handed and overkill a lot of the time. It doesn’t do subtle very well.

    If you’re really looking for something similar to the SP-404, what you need to get is FlyTape.

    They’re not really marketing it as such, but the effects are basically copies of the popular SP-404 performance techniques you see folks do in videos:

    looper, stutter, half speed, reverse, lofi, saturation, pitched stop, etc. all pushed in and out using momentary buttons.

    All the function have dedicated MIDI CC.

    I bough FlyTape when first came out a year ago and honestly forgot about it until I bought a SP-404 this spring and started thinking, “these FX sound familiar”.

    With the 404 you have to actually perform the FX by engaging the buttons in various ways and twisting knobs, so there’s a lot of variation and you have practice it to sound good. On Flytape you’re just holding down a button so it’s more simple and static, but still a cheap way to get that type of sound.

    Thanks bro, I actually have FlyTape as well but I have a few minor issues with it, the biggest being that you can't adjust the Stutter timing while the Stutter effect is active. You can even MIDI map the timing to a knob.. would be nice to just hold down a pad to engage the Stutter and twist the knob to change the timing (it's a lot of fun to do this on the 404) but alas it's not possible.

    Also, the lookahead on this app is pretty severe, so much so that it can really fuck with any other timing-based effect in your chain and it's pretty worthless for recording loops synced to AUM's clock. But overall for a $6 app it's pretty great, it's uses are just a little limited. Turnado is good for filling in the gaps but I am finding myself having to avoid the presets because as you said, they're a little heavy handed. Currently building my own preset library that's pretty much just slight variations of init patches.

  • edited July 17

    @pink_sky said:

    @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

    Turnado is great, but I find the effects heavy handed and overkill a lot of the time. It doesn’t do subtle very well.

    If you’re really looking for something similar to the SP-404, what you need to get is FlyTape.

    They’re not really marketing it as such, but the effects are basically copies of the popular SP-404 performance techniques you see folks do in videos:

    looper, stutter, half speed, reverse, lofi, saturation, pitched stop, etc. all pushed in and out using momentary buttons.

    All the function have dedicated MIDI CC.

    I bough FlyTape when first came out a year ago and honestly forgot about it until I bought a SP-404 this spring and started thinking, “these FX sound familiar”.

    With the 404 you have to actually perform the FX by engaging the buttons in various ways and twisting knobs, so there’s a lot of variation and you have practice it to sound good. On Flytape you’re just holding down a button so it’s more simple and static, but still a cheap way to get that type of sound.

    Thanks bro, I actually have FlyTape as well but I have a few minor issues with it, the biggest being that you can't adjust the Stutter timing while the Stutter effect is active. You can even MIDI map the timing to a knob.. would be nice to just hold down a pad to engage the Stutter and twist the knob to change the timing (it's a lot of fun to do this on the 404) but alas it's not possible.

    Also, the lookahead on this app is pretty severe, so much so that it can really fuck with any other timing-based effect in your chain and it's pretty worthless for recording loops synced to AUM's clock. But overall for a $6 app it's pretty great, it's uses are just a little limited. Turnado is good for filling in the gaps but I am finding myself having to avoid the presets because as you said, they're a little heavy handed. Currently building my own preset library that's pretty much just slight variations of init patches.

    I totally agree with your observations. The MSXII guys are pretty reachable and probably would use the feedback and make changes.

    I almost forgot...Although it’s probably different from your current AUM-based workflow, Cubasis has an internal effect called SpinFX that does a much better job than FlyTape. It will filter, tape stop, loop, and stutter different time divisions on the fly like you’re looking for plus the timing is rock solid. It’s probably my favorite stutter effect on iOS for simplicity and usability. It was on every track of my last ipad project. Only drawback is that it’s internal to Cubasis and not AU, but it works seamlessly with Cubasis’ automation, so you can record and perfect all your movements easily.

  • Have a look at Perforator- it’s a rhythm gate effect as opposed to a stutter but you might like it.

  • @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:

    @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

    Turnado is great, but I find the effects heavy handed and overkill a lot of the time. It doesn’t do subtle very well.

    If you’re really looking for something similar to the SP-404, what you need to get is FlyTape.

    They’re not really marketing it as such, but the effects are basically copies of the popular SP-404 performance techniques you see folks do in videos:

    looper, stutter, half speed, reverse, lofi, saturation, pitched stop, etc. all pushed in and out using momentary buttons.

    All the function have dedicated MIDI CC.

    I bough FlyTape when first came out a year ago and honestly forgot about it until I bought a SP-404 this spring and started thinking, “these FX sound familiar”.

    With the 404 you have to actually perform the FX by engaging the buttons in various ways and twisting knobs, so there’s a lot of variation and you have practice it to sound good. On Flytape you’re just holding down a button so it’s more simple and static, but still a cheap way to get that type of sound.

    Thanks bro, I actually have FlyTape as well but I have a few minor issues with it, the biggest being that you can't adjust the Stutter timing while the Stutter effect is active. You can even MIDI map the timing to a knob.. would be nice to just hold down a pad to engage the Stutter and twist the knob to change the timing (it's a lot of fun to do this on the 404) but alas it's not possible.

    Also, the lookahead on this app is pretty severe, so much so that it can really fuck with any other timing-based effect in your chain and it's pretty worthless for recording loops synced to AUM's clock. But overall for a $6 app it's pretty great, it's uses are just a little limited. Turnado is good for filling in the gaps but I am finding myself having to avoid the presets because as you said, they're a little heavy handed. Currently building my own preset library that's pretty much just slight variations of init patches.

    I totally agree with your observations. The MSXII guys are pretty reachable and probably would use the feedback and make changes.

    I almost forgot...Although it’s probably different from your current AUM-based workflow, Cubasis has an internal effect called SpinFX that does a much better job than FlyTape. It will filter, tape stop, loop, and stutter different time divisions on the fly like you’re looking for plus the timing is rock solid. It’s probably my favorite stutter effect on iOS for simplicity and usability. It was on every track of my last ipad project. Only drawback is that it’s internal to Cubasis and not AU, but it works seamlessly with Cubasis’ automation, so you can record and perfect all your movements easily.

    I do like the Cubasis one as far as timing but really wish the filter were better. That is some weak ass filter!

  • @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:

    @coolout said:

    @pink_sky said:
    Looking for something simple I can load up on a bus in AUM when I’m using it as a clip launcher, MIDI map a few knobs and turn them to slow down/speed up/stutter/beat repeat my loops. Similar to the looper on the SP-404. Anything like this exist?

    Turnado is great, but I find the effects heavy handed and overkill a lot of the time. It doesn’t do subtle very well.

    If you’re really looking for something similar to the SP-404, what you need to get is FlyTape.

    They’re not really marketing it as such, but the effects are basically copies of the popular SP-404 performance techniques you see folks do in videos:

    looper, stutter, half speed, reverse, lofi, saturation, pitched stop, etc. all pushed in and out using momentary buttons.

    All the function have dedicated MIDI CC.

    I bough FlyTape when first came out a year ago and honestly forgot about it until I bought a SP-404 this spring and started thinking, “these FX sound familiar”.

    With the 404 you have to actually perform the FX by engaging the buttons in various ways and twisting knobs, so there’s a lot of variation and you have practice it to sound good. On Flytape you’re just holding down a button so it’s more simple and static, but still a cheap way to get that type of sound.

    Thanks bro, I actually have FlyTape as well but I have a few minor issues with it, the biggest being that you can't adjust the Stutter timing while the Stutter effect is active. You can even MIDI map the timing to a knob.. would be nice to just hold down a pad to engage the Stutter and twist the knob to change the timing (it's a lot of fun to do this on the 404) but alas it's not possible.

    Also, the lookahead on this app is pretty severe, so much so that it can really fuck with any other timing-based effect in your chain and it's pretty worthless for recording loops synced to AUM's clock. But overall for a $6 app it's pretty great, it's uses are just a little limited. Turnado is good for filling in the gaps but I am finding myself having to avoid the presets because as you said, they're a little heavy handed. Currently building my own preset library that's pretty much just slight variations of init patches.

    I totally agree with your observations. The MSXII guys are pretty reachable and probably would use the feedback and make changes.

    I almost forgot...Although it’s probably different from your current AUM-based workflow, Cubasis has an internal effect called SpinFX that does a much better job than FlyTape. It will filter, tape stop, loop, and stutter different time divisions on the fly like you’re looking for plus the timing is rock solid. It’s probably my favorite stutter effect on iOS for simplicity and usability. It was on every track of my last ipad project. Only drawback is that it’s internal to Cubasis and not AU, but it works seamlessly with Cubasis’ automation, so you can record and perfect all your movements easily.

    Bet, I'll have to revisit SpinFX. I also have a fully-loaded Cubasis I rarely even launch (I have a problem) but I prefer AUM's workflow. Kinda forgot SpinFX was a thing. Thanks for the tip

  • Fac Envolver,Turnado and Perforator

Sign In or Register to comment.