Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your Favourite Musical Moment?

Comments

• Indeed it is, @Steaders. And I’ll bet I listened to this record 20 or 30 times before I really heard it, such is it’s subtlety.

• When my coworker turns off his stereo...

• edited July 2019

@rottencat said:
    Jimmy Cobb’s little drum fill at 1:30 in Miles Davis’ “So What.” Simplicity itself. And absolutely flawless.

I love how Jimmy talks about that cymbal crash having been 'whoops, too loud/oh shit' but Miles said it woke everyone up and gave it that tiny little bit of extra energy it needed. You can actually hear it wake things up a little, like a yawn and wiping the sleep out of the eyes.

• When I saw Tool. Maynard James Keenan decided to point and one fan during the entire show. The guy wasn't sure it as him at first, he was moving around. When he'd point at himself, Maynard would nod excitedly. He was yelling stuff like 'what?' 'What should I do?' 'Hi?!??' in between songs but he kept pointing. Pointed down when the guy went for a drink. Resumed pointing when he returned. Arm held up for a 45 minute set. That isn't easy if you ever tried it.

What did it all mean?

• @BroCoast said:
    All of them with the 2x ARP 2600. He'd use two keyboards and reverse one (ARP keyboard let's you do this) so it made a mirror image.

That makes perfect sense if you mirror from thumbs to pinky on 2 keyboards. There's a scene in "Bohemian Rhapsody" where Rami Malick plays the piano from underneath with those "B.R. intro chords". I remember that album listing Freddie as contributing Beckstein Debauchery in the credits.
    He played as well as most pop songwriters. But Brian May is on another level for me.

"The ARP was great. I still play it today. It was the first keyboard that could be inverted, in other words, when your hands go up, you're sounding down. It's a mirror system where C remains C, D flat becomes B, D becomes B flat, and so on. When you play chords with this, you have to have a good brain. What's good about it is that you get different ideas. Weather Report's 'Black Market' was played on an inverted keyboard. Check it out."

I wrote a short Streambyter script to do this too. Just subtract the NOTE value from 127 and output the result in a NOTE ON and OFF. It created some interesting effects for a player and some interesting music when fed normal piano parts. Never dissonant beyond the source intervals but something closer to negative harmony I suppose. I thought @linelineman might like it but then I'd have to explain StreamByter to him... he's very good at delegating and very persistent. A Mosaic script would be trivial and he could pick it up from the script site after purchase. Someone write it please and upload.

• @McD said:

@BroCoast said:
    All of them with the 2x ARP 2600. He'd use two keyboards and reverse one (ARP keyboard let's you do this) so it made a mirror image.

That makes perfect sense if you mirror from thumbs to pinky on 2 keyboards. There's a scene in "Bohemian Rhapsody" where Rami Malick plays the piano from underneath with those "B.R. intro chords". I remember that album listing Freddie as contributing Beckstein Debauchery in the credits.
    He played as well as most pop songwriters. But Brian May is on another level for me.

"The ARP was great. I still play it today. It was the first keyboard that could be inverted, in other words, when your hands go up, you're sounding down. It's a mirror system where C remains C, D flat becomes B, D becomes B flat, and so on. When you play chords with this, you have to have a good brain. What's good about it is that you get different ideas. Weather Report's 'Black Market' was played on an inverted keyboard. Check it out."

I wrote a short Streambyter script to do this too. Just subtract the NOTE value from 127 and output the result in a NOTE ON and OFF. It created some interesting effects for a player and some interesting music when fed normal piano parts. Never dissonant beyond the source intervals but something closer to negative harmony I suppose. I thought @linelineman might like it but then I'd have to explain StreamByter to him... he's very good at delegating and very persistent. A Mosaic script would be trivial and he could pick it up from the script site after purchase. Someone write it please and upload.

You know we never see you two guys in the club at the same time. Just pointing it out is all...

• @u0421793 said:
    I’m not really into drumming, but, then, there’s this…

Oh no, what has happened to him? :o

• @Gravitas said:
    One of my favourite musical moments?

Seeing Corey Glover from ,'Living Colour',
    stage dive into the mosh pit whilst the band were soloing
    and fifteen minutes later his hand reaching out from the audience to
    grab hold of the mic and start singing again.

That was cool.

Along those lines, one of my favorite non-musical music moments was while seeing PiL in ~1988 or so. Johnny Lydon was piss drunk. Not in some imaginary cool "rock and roll" way—he was just wasted and sucking. Leaving the stage mid-song to vomit in the wings. Messing up lyrics and cues. Lame. At one point he climbs on top of the stack of speakers on the side of stage (so, maybe 10 feet up + a 6 foot high stage), dove off belly flop style and everyone in the audience moved out of the way. BAM, to the floor. Deserved it. He did soldier on, drunk as he was.

• When Hooky goes high at around 8:10 has always been one of my 'everyone be quiet for a second please' musical moments.

Speaking of New Order, always tickled when a band I like covers another band I like. Jump to 1:30.

• Favorite recent concert moment...

This was during John McLaughlin and his band 4th Dimension's tour with Jimmy Herring and his own band. Herring's band opened with a fine set. Then 4th Dimension also played a fine set. But the "holy shit" moment of the night was when they all got together on stage, and started playing the unmistakeable notes and rhythms of a classic Mahavishnu composition. I felt the energy level of the audience around me rise to a new level, erupting with excited cheering.

• Another recent moment:

Sun Ra Arkestra at Cropped Out festival in Louisville, KY. Nice little festival, with lots of attendees chilling in tents on the festival grounds, and modest-sized crowds (50-100) per set for most sets. But I think everybody - I mean everybody - turned out for the Arkestra. I turned around and what was a laid back, partially restored former riverside resort had transformed into sea of people, all around the stage.

Marshall Allen stood just a few feet in front of me, staring intensely into my eyes as he played.

• Loved the comedy classic "The Jerk" but had to be reminded of this scene.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    You know we never see you two guys in the club at the same time. Just pointing it out is all...

Well, we are Mothers to some other Brother... I'm in Californica and the @LinearLineman is in Turkey (or close it to) on vacation. We seem to agree on a lot except the quality of sampled Saxes and how essential the drummer is to music to establish the proper groove.

• @JohnnyGoodyear, I take music apart, @McD puts it together. That’s the only difference.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear, I take music apart, @McD puts it together. That’s the only difference.

That and the fact that I worship canines as deities because GOD = DOG.
    Dyslexics will see the connection immediately.

@LinearLineman wrote a blasphemous novel featuring my God's and it was quite humorous. The cats loved it. I bought a copy for my Kindle. He just keeps selling me stuff. I'm probably out about $15 just trying to figure this guy out. Not nearly enough information yet. He has exposed himself here for free.

• @McD, I have often exposed myself for free. Now if I could have only gotten paid for it.

• edited July 2019

@GovernorSilver
    Classic! So incredibly sweet.
    coincidentally, I just watched The Jerk the other day.

• There’s just something in this particular performance about the key change and resolution that starts with the sustained E at about 7:10 then down to a C# that still gives me warm fuzzies and makes me smile.

• @Steaders said:
    @GovernorSilver
    Classic! So incredibly sweet.
    coincidentally, I just watched The Jerk the other day.

I stumbled upon that clip while looking for videos of younger Bernadette Peters. I'm loving her work on Mozart In The Jungle, but couldn't help but compare. Saw another video of her playing trumpet for real too.

• edited July 2019

This clip makes me wish I was in a rock band like that when I was in high school. The back story : 2 members of the band "Beck" are missing, so the rest of the band are giving up on playing their scheduled set at the big music festival... except our plucky hero, who decides to go it alone.

Funimation messed up the US release by dubbing over the song with another one. First time I watched this scene, I couldn't understand why the crowd reacted like that to such a lame song. I could see the excitement building in the crowd, but it didn't match the terrible song.

Then when I found this version in which somebody put back the original song, the reactions made a lot more sense. I also realized why it was dubbed over - US copyright law. With the song in question back in place, the buildup is so much more powerful and emotional

• edited July 2019

@GovernorSilver
    There’s a very charming innocence to the “I’ve got a feeling” clip. I love it!
    It doesn’t hurt that I love that song. 👍🏻

• edited July 2019

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    @GovernorSilver
    There’s a very charming innocence to the “I’ve got a feeling” clip. I love it!
    It doesn’t hurt that I love that song. 👍🏻

B)

Here's another great musical moment from that show - makes me feel nostalgic even though I never heard the song before I watched the show.

Now I'm thinking of Kyoto Animation studio, which was recently struck by an arson attack. So in their honor, yet another favorite musical moment, this one done by them. It's another rock band themed show, this one being a comedy in contrast to the grittier "Beck". This is one of the all time great musical moments in the show, because the viewers are unexpected blasted by metal.

https://streamable.com/t29by

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Interesting that about 50 different great moments popped into my head when I gave this question thirty seconds thought but it is the moment at 3:58 of this video that I kept circling back to and still shakes me to the core. It is a look of pure unadulterated passion/terror that was all too prescient given what happened soon after. Anyone who has been that close to the edge knows what that look feels like.

Yeah.

Ironically it resonated with me then(teenager) but EVEN more now after a lifetime of life...........

The Meat Puppet songs are also heart tuggers.

This song I posted literally makes me almost tremble or weep if I sit with it and myself under the right circumstances.

Interested in some of your other moments.

I remember seeing NIN for the first time was pretty amazing as well. The passion and fury was palpable.

I also remember Pantera for the first time live being a moving experience feeling power and rage on a massive scale like that.

Iced T Live was a huge turning point for me as well. Ended up hanging with him and pursuing some work due to it.

Seeing MINISTRY first time was also riveting and inspirational.

Believe it or not Type O Negative shows were an odd but cool learning time as well in the Goth scene of NY and Philly.

• edited July 2019

This is such a great thread.
    And there are so many moments in so many songs, but I never don't get chills when Devo segues from "Gut Feeling" to "Slap Your Mammy" (around 4:00).

• thanks everyone for sharing.

• edited July 2019

Seconds / The Human League

The Things That Dreams Are Made Of / The Human League