Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your Favourite Musical Moment?

Comments

• When I got a recording of Artur Rubinstein playing Chopin’s Ballades from my piano teacher for my Bar Mitzvah. With a backbeat, of course.

• @McD said:
    FYI: @linearlineman is a lefty and I think it makes him a great keyboard bass player. I offered to script a remapping of the 88 keys with the bass on top and he didn't reply. That left hand could shred some treble solos with about 10 years of effort. Slacker.

Also a pianist here. :)

I like his playing. Formal training does away with any left hand dominance, though I'm sure it has some effect on improvisation. We still have to cross our hands to play some parts the same as a righty does.

I tried the reverse keyboard ala Zawinul. I'll leave it to him, I don't need the challenge.

• I never get bored of hearing the pitch-bending mono-synth solo starting at 2:22 in this rare(-ish) cover of "You can't hide love"

Thankfully slightly less rare now since appearing in the huge radio soundtrack for the video game GTA IV

• edited July 2019

@tk32
    YES! SO Good!
    I played GTA IV but don’t remember this from it. That said, there’s a lot of songs on A GTA soundtrack. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 👍🏻

• edited July 2019

@RUST( i )K
    Good choice. The whole Nirvana unplugged concert is a musical moment in itself.

• edited July 2019

Yes! Saw them in NYC Felt Forum in '73, so incredible! And surprise opening band was Gentle Giant! And 3rd row center too!

@McD said:
    Mahavishnu Orchestra live at Long Beach Arena 1973.

John McLaughlin - Dual 6+12 string guitar
    Billy Cobham - Fibes Drumset (the plexiglass drums of that era)

• playing left-handed on normal drum set up (Simon Phillips can do this too)
      Jan Hammer - Fender Rhodes and Moog Synth
      Jerry Goodman - Electric Violin
      Rick Laird - Electric Bass

The band received its initial acclaims for its complex, intense music consisting of a blend of Indian classical music, jazz and psychedelic rock, and their dynamic live performances between 1971 and 1973.

A sample of their magic:

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    @RUST( i )K

Have you seen Live at The Paramount? Amazing footage from 91. The whole playlist is on their channel now.

• @BroCoast said:
    I tried the reverse keyboard ala Zawinul. I'll leave it to him, I don't need the challenge.

I never heard that Joe Zawinul (Weather Report) used a flipped orientation keyboard.
    Are you aware of any recordings?

• edited July 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

Interesting that about 50 different great moments popped into my head when I gave this question thirty seconds thought but it is the moment at 3:58 of this video that I kept circling back to and still shakes me to the core. It is a look of pure unadulterated passion/terror that was all too prescient given what happened soon after. Anyone who has been that close to the edge knows what that look feels like.

• edited July 2019

@McD said:

@BroCoast said:

I never heard that Joe Zawinul (Weather Report) used a flipped orientation keyboard.
    Are you aware of any recordings?

All of them with the 2x ARP 2600. He'd use two keyboards and reverse one (ARP keyboard let's you do this) so it made a mirror image.

"The ARP was great. I still play it today. It was the first keyboard that could be inverted, in other words, when your hands go up, you're sounding down. It's a mirror system where C remains C, D flat becomes B, D becomes B flat, and so on. When you play chords with this, you have to have a good brain. What's good about it is that you get different ideas. Weather Report's 'Black Market' was played on an inverted keyboard. Check it out."

• I’m not really into drumming, but, then, there’s this…

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Interesting that about 50 different great moments popped into my head when I gave this question thirty seconds thought but it is the moment at 3:58 of this video that I kept circling back to and still shakes me to the core. It is a look of pure unadulterated passion/terror that was all too prescient given what happened soon after. Anyone who has been that close to the edge knows what that look feels like.

Ooof.

• edited July 2019

Any Elliot Smith fans in the house?

• @AudioGus said:

@Steaders said:
    @RUST( i )K

Have you seen Live at The Paramount? Amazing footage from 91. The whole playlist is on their channel now.

Great! I’ll check that out. Thanks!

• Lots of great moments, but probably the one that I’ll take with me to the retirement home is M83 in 2006 at the Flow Festival. I wasn’t that keen on M83, having only heard their records but went to the front row anyway because that’s what you do when all your friends left after the previous gig. And of course it was insane, both musically and visually. The moment I remember best was after a litany of massive songs, a kind of a breather that gets pretty trippy. Starts at around 52 mins and kicks off 2 minutes in. There’s a theremin in there 😀 the video is from a different concert on the same tour but it’s fairly similar.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Any Elliot Smith fans in the house?

Yessir. Also a fan of that guitar model (Yamaha FG180)

• edited July 2019

@Stiksi said:
    Lots of great moments, but probably the one that I’ll take with me to the retirement home is M83 in 2006 at the Flow Festival. I wasn’t that keen on M83, having only heard their records but went to the front row anyway because that’s what you do when all your friends left after the previous gig. And of course it was insane, both musically and visually. The moment I remember best was after a litany of massive songs, a kind of a breather that gets pretty trippy. Starts at around 52 mins and kicks off 2 minutes in. There’s a theremin in there 😀 the video is from a different concert on the same tour but it’s fairly similar.

That's Couleurs from Saturdays = Youth. I listened to that album nonstop when it came out, never got into their other music after that.

• @BroCoast said:
    That's Couleurs from Saturdays = Youth. I listened to that album nonstop when it came out, never got into their other music after that.

I still don’t listen to their albums that much, it’s so different from a live performance. They really pull out all the stops live.

• 2 mins in. Track trips out into some heavy dub reggae bassline workout. Got a club/dub/hip hop/soul boy into a slice of warped rock n roll.

• 1:50 in. Sarah Vaughan flips into double octave switcharoo mode. Try singing it yourself like that. Not the same is it? Killer.

• edited July 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @cuscolima said:
    The solo of Cory Henry in Lingus by Snarky Puppy (stating at 4:19)

That is just fucking exceptional and humbling in equal measure.

Discovered this two or three years ago. It immediately threw me into an existential crisis as a keyboard player...

• edited July 2019

I can't decide on any of the great musical moments of the past that dragged me into music listening and making. There are too many of them. But this is my favourite from the last decade (especially: 1:15 to 1:20):

• @Steaders said:
    @RUST( i )K

Agree

• Jimmy Cobb’s little drum fill at 1:30 in Miles Davis’ “So What.” Simplicity itself. And absolutely flawless.

• edited July 2019

@gusgranite
    Woah! Amazing! Is she an alien?

• @rottencat
    That fill is a treat for the ears. 👍🏻