Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s the hottest multiband compressor right now?

Been out of the loop for a bit, in the market. Looking for warmth primarily.

Comments

• I only have the Fab Filter Pro-MB and it doesn't add warmth which for me is adding tube distortion (adding even 2nd-order harmonics) and limiting on peaks that avoid clipping.
    But it compresses OR expands a selected spectrum slice.

I think it's the swiss army knife in the FF bundle. Maybe someone will offer more details
    on it's best applications.

• edited July 2019

don't think there is available colouring multiband compressor on ios, but in my opinion combination of Klevgrand PressIt and FAC Bandit is best way for multiband compression + multiband saturation .. i think both of them together costs still less than Pro-MB :-))

• I would recommend Korvpressor.
    Though it isn't described as a multiband compressor there
    is some multiband compression going with the eq and maximiser.

As an overall compressor is sounds good.

• The fabfilter one is probably the best. I like the klevgrand one a lot too plus korvpressor. I use the 4pockets one as well since it’s universal and it’s pretty good. None of them really do much for saturation though, I’d recommend something separate for that

• Nothing Fabfilter will give u warmth (or really even color for that matter) but their stuff is just too good to pass up. As @McD said, it’s definitely the Swiss Army knife of the bundle, and plays best before a limiter (for my use) on the master, but can really be used wherever however.

I would maybe consider breaking up the task of warmth and multiband compression into 2 or more different plug ins. Pro-MB mixed with whatever these astute forum members recommend for warmth

@dendy also makes a good point with the FAC combo, I think you end up in a good place either way.

• @dendy said:
    don't think there is available colouring multiband compressor on ios, but in my opinion combination of Klevgrand PressIt and FAC Bandit is best way for multiband compression + multiband saturation .. i think both of them together costs still less than Pro-MB :-))

Excellent tip. I forgot that Bandit is essentially multi-band. I don't own pressit.

• Bandit and the Klev grand for under $30

• Audio Mastering has multi-band compression and harmonic saturation. It's fire, yo! >:)

• edited July 2019

@Gravitas said:
    I would recommend Korvpressor.
    Though it isn't described as a multiband compressor there
    is some multiband compression going with the eq and maximiser.

As an overall compressor is sounds good.

Just tried it - and man, Instant love for me :heart: , thanks ! !

really great compressor ! Btw to my ears it sounds like that EQ is simply put before compression, so no multiband processimg or other magic just simple plain 3band eq before comression stabe - but it all works just perfect, all parameters are fine tuned so basically on every random setting it always sounds great :)

Best single band compressor for me for now !

• @dendy

No worries.

I'd being looking at korvpressor for awhile and then decided to get it a couple of weeks ago.
    I needed a compressor with some substance that I could use for some of my parallel
    compression signal chains that wasn't a straight forward multiband compressor.

Yeah.

It's lovely.

• @telecharge said:
    Audio Mastering has multi-band compression and harmonic saturation. It's fire, yo! >:)

Totally agree.

I save that for when its time to master a track.

I like it a lot.

• Sounds like korvpressor and bandit would be good

• 4Pockets as a Multi-Band Compressor. I have never tried it but they have a solid reputation.
    https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/multi-band-compressor-plugin/id1438853950

• @dendy @Gravitas the Klevgrand Kompressor Eq signal is after compressor (post) I emailed asking them to consider a Pre Compressor switch.

• @Gravitas said:

@telecharge said:
    Audio Mastering has multi-band compression and harmonic saturation. It's fire, yo! >:)

Totally agree.

I save that for when its time to master a track.

I like it a lot.

Igors plugins are of superior quality. The UI though is confusing and really really hope he gives Audio Mastering & Master Record etc AUv3 .

• If only FabFilter ported Saturn over to AU. It's not a multiband compressor but rather a multiband saturator, but it would definitely add that warmth. Klevgrand's SquashIt and FAC Bandit are great multiband saturators (well, Bandit can do a bit more than simple multiband saturating, but I digress) and can definitely get you that warmth you're looking for. :)

Pro-MB is transparent and probably won't get you the warmth you're looking for. It's more for balancing mixes when mastering or even balancing the tone of multiple basses when producing Bass House/Complextro/Whateverstep. :lol:

Definitely get Korvpressor. It's a great compressor for gluing shit together on a buss and also for single tracks (especially vocal tracks).

I've never tried 4Pockets' multiband compressor before, but looks like it has iPhone compatibility. That's a major plus in my book, and I think I'm going to purchase that. :)

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @dendy @Gravitas the Klevgrand Kompressor Eq signal is after compressor (post) I emailed asking them to consider a Pre Compressor switch.

uhm, are you sure ? That's strange because adding frequencies doesn't affect amplitude of output signal so it behaves exactly like PRE. Weird..

Edit: Did some more tests and this is interesting. Looks like that eq uses not simple straight "add frequencies" approach. It looks more like if you for example turn BASS knob to the max, it lowers mid and high .. or if you put mid knob to max, it lowers low and high.. so even through values on knobs looks like "+", it actually decreases equally all other bands and then adjusts output volume - so it sounds more natural and much less affects output signal overall amplitude...That is smart.

It is clearly visible if you put straight square wave through it and then you watch waveform at output with different EQ settings.. here if anybody interested, just do not try listen it, it's pure square wave, look at it in wave editor..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bz211h05e9wzoj0/AAB65mhjRbAAsxctRDXJFduVa?dl=0

This is definitely best compressor on iOS to the date for me. What is doing this EQ is very smart ! But it also means to me that using it as "PRE" wouldn' make much sense - because of in most cases it doesn't affect overall amplitude of signal - (with exception of some extreme settings) it would affect signal at 99% exactly same way as "PRE" like it is doing as "POST" :)

• @dendy

Thanks for that, I'll have a look listen as soon as I have the chance.

I knew there was something going on with Korvpressor that
    wasn't straight ahead eqing so thank you for the explanation.

I've been using it in AUM.

A lot.

Here's a screenshot.

• @dendy. Yes Korvpressor is brilliant. Did you also find that the eq is after comperssor
    (Post) I think it is. Regarding the eq not affecting the volume/amplitube ..is this with the Brickwall Limiter set to OFF? I’am going to test this a bit later. There’s an eq on Mac OSX that does this too I think its by Boz Plugins or Kuassa. Will find out as I have it on my Mac.

• edited July 2019

@stormbeats
    is this with the Brickwall Limiter set to OFF?

Oh, now i'm complete dumbass ... you are totally true, it was turned ON. (facepalm)

which means, pre/post switch would be really handy :)))

edit: hm, no, it's strange.. even with maximize and brickwall disabled, if i tweak bass knob to max, there is something happening, like whole output is quieter..

• FAC Bandit for me.

• @dendy I always appreciate your data driven approach and how you post your findings on your path to knowledge. I learn a lot of things that I wouldn’t be able to find out because I don’t have the base knowledge you do. I’m a musician first, so all the analysis you do on plugins/hosts really helps me.

Thanks, my friend!

• edited June 2021

@auxmux said:
    FAC Bandit for me.

It Bandit is not a multiband compressor. Is it?. I’m reading the description and it talks about saturation and effects…. Not compression.
    PS: I agree with @drez, I really enjoyed reading @dendy ’s description.

• Barkfilter gives you 27 bands and a limiter

• WOOTT. Can be used in subtle ways as well as brutal ones. Multiband and compresses (in both directions). It's essential.

• Is anybody using the multiband compression of TB EQ?
    I mean, who cares about the label? ;)

• @rs2000 said:
    Is anybody using the multiband compression of TB EQ?

👍
    That one also has “circuitry heat” if you want it.

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    WOOTT. Can be used in subtle ways as well as brutal ones. Multiband and compresses (in both directions). It's essential.

👍

This one can split the output of the 3 bands to your favorite processors separately.

Eg: a MagicDeathEye on each band

• @rs2000 said:
    Is anybody using the multiband compression of TB EQ?

I use the dynamic eq in ProQ-3 all the time. I guess you’re right and it’s just labels… I mean you don’t get fine control like attack or release times, but it’s supposed to be intelligent. For surgical or corrective stuff I actually prefer it over a multiband compressor. So maybe I’d just need one for the mastering stage, there’s a stock one in Cubasis.
    Barkfilter looks interesting but I’m put off by the interface. Setting attack in one page, release in another, ratio in another… seems weird to me.

• fabfilter eq3 and fabfilter pro MB. a treat !