How to research the "local scene" in cities I'm looking to move to in Europe - WAY OFF TOPIC
Some of you know I'm looking to move to Europe in 2020 - and those of you that didn't, now you do!
This isn't a deciding factor necessarily for our move, but I'm trying to get an idea of what the local music scene is like in a few different cities in Italy. What I mean is:
1) What's the gig situation like?
2) Are there places that have live music?
3) What are the popular musical styles for live music?
4) Is it all college-age bands?
5) Is everyone playing "That's Amore" on accordions all night?
6) Are there standard features of the US local scene - open mic nights, jam nights, etc.?
Basically I want to know where I can get some detail on what local, working musicians do in places like Rome, Bologna, Milan, Turin, Florence, etc... I know what it's like to gig in San Francisco, and I have resources to check on other cities in the US, but I'm unfamiliar with how similar/dissimilar things are outside the US.
When I was in New England in to 90's, the classic rock bands got all the local gigs. Here in San Francisco it was funky jazz and reggae for a while, now I'm not sure. What say you for Italy, or other places in Europe?
All you non-US residents - give me the skinny!