Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best iPhone DAW for audio recording??

2»

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:
    So maybe this is the time for Intua (if they are still functioning) to ditch BM3, and finally focus on BM2 :D

Seriously, I totally agree .
    On topic ,using BM2 now restricts you to the internal effects which sound a bit week/plastic .
    Plus , I don’t think it would make it on a future iOS version .

• @klownshed said:
    GarageBand is far more powerful than it may first appear and a DAW it most certainly is. It obviously has limitations but can host auv3s and has live loops for Ableton style clip launching which can be recorded into the timeline.

I use it a fair bit as it’s by far the best route to Logic on a Mac.

Great points, thanks

I notice n-track and audio evolution have auto tune-ish kinda plug ins. Do u know if GarageBand for Iphone does?

• @Korakios said:

@SevenSystems said:
    So maybe this is the time for Intua (if they are still functioning) to ditch BM3, and finally focus on BM2 :D

Seriously, I totally agree .
    On topic ,using BM2 now restricts you to the internal effects which sound a bit week/plastic .
    Plus , I don’t think it would make it on a future iOS version .

Dang. So much potential. Sounds like if they just added AUv3 to it it’d be perfect.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@klownshed said:
    GarageBand is far more powerful than it may first appear and a DAW it most certainly is. It obviously has limitations but can host auv3s and has live loops for Ableton style clip launching which can be recorded into the timeline.

I use it a fair bit as it’s by far the best route to Logic on a Mac.

Great points, thanks

I notice n-track and audio evolution have auto tune-ish kinda plug ins. Do u know if GarageBand for Iphone does?

Yes

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

All roads lead to AUM. Just have a config that arms a channel to record and map a Bluetooth MIDI pedal to the start/stop transport. Every start will create a new audio file. Of course, adding FX is allowed. I imagine additional tricks could be mapped to pedals like FX on/off and monitoring the channel while recording is always allowed.

• I'll just ask here instead of creating a new thread, what is the best daw for arranging audio clips in for iPhone?

• @McD said:
    All roads lead to AUM. Just have a config that arms a channel to record and map a Bluetooth MIDI pedal to the start/stop transport. Every start will create a new audio file. Of course, adding FX is allowed. I imagine additional tricks could be mapped to pedals like FX on/off and monitoring the channel while recording is always allowed.

What’s your thoughts on AUM for vocal recording (songmaking)?

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I'll just ask here instead of creating a new thread, what is the best daw for arranging audio clips in for iPhone?

Good question, Im Interested in this also

• Stagelight.
    It takes 3 clicks to open a channel and start recording. After you can send the project through airdrop, to your ipad and destop. Edit there, and send it back any time.
    Theres no other daw on ios that does it so easily.

• @yonhorizon said:
    Stagelight.
    It takes 3 clicks to open a channel and start recording. After you can send the project through airdrop, to your ipad and destop. Edit there, and send it back any time.

There ya go .....speshly on the phone.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I'll just ask here instead of creating a new thread, what is the best daw for arranging audio clips in for iPhone?

I would say it's either Garageband, Audio Evolution or Stagelight.

AUM? Seriously? I don't think so.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @yonhorizon said:
    Stagelight.

N-Track can send packed song files with tweaked effects and automations in place(even for IAA or AU apps as long as they are universal) to Mac, Windows, Android, iPhone and iPad.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@McD said:

What’s your thoughts on AUM for vocal recording (songmaking)?

I'm sure traditional DAW makes more sense but I could see enabling an audio track with mic input and
    saving vocals.

What I tend to do is create an initial track and looper's are probably the best way to start building a
    background or song-based session but I just create a very long starting track in AUM and load it into a file player in AUM. Then I mix that track with a new input live and generate recording #2. Then load that into a file player and loop that, etc. It's not unlike the early tape deck to tape deck recording method of overdubbing pioneered by Les Paul. I'm not seeking to create a mastered finished product since I can't re-mix layered performances. I get what I get.

But Someone could use the AUM tracks as separate audio "stems" that could be loaded into other Apps for mixing. I just haven't worked through that. And this is where using a configured Looping app using
    AudioBus + AUM + Xequence 2 + LoopyHD could combine to give a really flexible hybrid-DAW that supports MIDI and Audio with a lot of features.

The biggest headache is "synchronization" which is why I recently asked if any IOS DAW supports shifts
    stems by 10 milliseconds to improve the alignment of multiple recordings. I hear a lot of IOS projects that just need some tweaking in this manner to get that stupid drum machine to listen to the bass player and stop playin in a vacuum.

AUM also support a ton of MIDI Learn and AU Parameter features. ApeMatrix is even more sophisticated in this area and could rival AUM as the core for a hybrid workflow. I just prefer the size of the controls in AUM on all my devices and I just keep pushing it to allow me to layer and push projects up to soundcloud and move on. My audience is so small (probably because I publish sketches and never frame anything) that spending hours for 2-3 people is not worth the heartbreak.

Now that I have a huge IOS toolset maybe I'll change my approach and start polishing my turds for BandCamp exhibitionism. Can we ever get enough indifference in our lives? Why make art anyway?
    'cause it feels good to create, right? It beats watching TV but not 24x7.

• Bm2 easily wins the iPhone daw with me...it’s very very easy to use and get results.

If bm2 would have had AU plugs we never would have needed bm3...my opinion of course.

I still have bm2 on my iPhone.

Next would be GarageBand

• For plain audio recording Multitrack DAW has the big advantage of 'nothing else in the way' on a phone's limited screen estate. It can only do audio (with or without effects) and instruments output is also captured as audio.
    You can have a guide or backing tracks and record your live performance from start to end.
    Or punch in/out sections that are looped (with pre- and postroll) by just swiping over the time ruler (to set the loop range) and place the in/out markers within the loop boundary to a convenient location.
    The screen displays the most recent take, while all previous ones are stored in background and can still be accessed anytime (until you cleanup).

I don't know any app (including PC/Mac) that does it in such a straight and simple way.
    Since I have MTD I never recorded anything (considered a live performance) outside of MTD.
    Worth mentioning: MTD's controls are auto zoom centered when tapped, then you dial on the enlarged icons. After dialing the control is auto closed. Smart and convenient.
    @flo26 has some great tracks produced with nothing but MTD.

• It seems to me that most DAWs are designed around editing recorded music, whereas AUM is about creating and capturing that music. Neither is great at the other task.

So far, the best solutions I have seen are @espiegel123's awesome loop deck setup, or routing AUM into a linear-recording DAW.

For the latter, I really like Multi-Track DAW, as it also integrates really well with AB3. If you host everything in AB, you can save the entire session. All these apps work on iPhone and iPad.

This way, you get the amazing routing and hosting of AUM, the syncing of AB, and you end up with a "proper" DAW timeline.

I wonder if MTD takes the incoming audio and automatically arranges it into takes?

• Yes, you can send AUM outs directly to MTD tracks, but that builds up a significant IAA load.
    (I only tried it a couple of times and the overall 'behaviour' of MTD wasn't as snappy as before)

That's why I prefer MTD standalone for song like performances, but AUM for jam stuff, which collects the tracks in AUM's recording hierarchy. In that case I switch to Audioshare to snip out sections (which it does quite well with the hold auto-zoom) for later arrangement.
    On the iPad I prefer Ferrite for arrangement, but mostly I send things to the desktop from Audioshare (either to Pro Tools TDM on a G3 Powermac or SAW Studio in Windoze).

MTD is ok for small edits, but just isn't designed for a lot of snippets moved around.
    For tracking it's second to none imho.

• edited July 2019

I can’t believe why not anyone mention Auria Pro as the first choice of audio recording?

Auria Pro may be unbeaten when it comes to just handling audio... The quality of plugins you can buy into this is also amazing...
    Or, use your other effect-apps as AU or IAA... You can simultaneously record to up to 24 tracks in one take...

But, a complete setup of Auria Pro is pretty hefty in price (if you want every plugins that matters), but, the quality of the endresult is superior to everything else on iOS... (OK, this is my subjective opinion, but, read what others out there write about Auria Pro first)...

• @EyeOhEss
    @ErrkaPetti said:
    I can’t believe why not anyone mention Auria Pro as the first choice of audio recording?

because original topic was "iPhone DAW for audio recording" :)

• edited July 2019

Not reallly a DAW but this is my fav vocal/audio recorder for iPhone:

Spire Music Recorder by iZotope, Inc. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spire-music-recorder/id1013021109

• @dendy said:

@EyeOhEss
    @ErrkaPetti said:

because original topic was "iPhone DAW for audio

Ahhh!
    My excuse... 😬