Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 and AUM Modular DAW?

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:
    @reasOne very happy to know you're getting good use from Xequence. There's a few arguments that actually do make sense in the AUv3 context -- among them the probably slightly easier and technically more robust MIDI routing, and the ability for state saving, which means an entire project can be saved in the host including Xequence. So I'm not totally opposed to the idea of having a SINGLE INSTANCE of the full Xequence hosted as AUv3.

That would be fantastic 😊

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@reasOne said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@reasOne said:
    holy moly the midi thru set up to record sequencing apps from aum into xequence is outstanding amazing 🤩🤯
    that was so easy to set up and record , very impressive.

Would be happy to see the results of this.

i will try to put up a jam soon! bday weekend so i maybe to buzzed this weekend haha but soon..are you on ig ?

I am on ig

cool same name? i’m reasone ambient

• @SevenSystems said:
    @reasOne very happy to know you're getting good use from Xequence. There's a few arguments that actually do make sense in the AUv3 context -- among them the probably slightly easier and technically more robust MIDI routing, and the ability for state saving, which means an entire project can be saved in the host including Xequence. So I'm not totally opposed to the idea of having a SINGLE INSTANCE of the full Xequence hosted as AUv3.

Would buy in an instance if I knew this was coming. I have the first version, but didn’t upgrade as I make lots of small pieces of music and the disconnect between two separate apps and all those saves was a bit off putting.

• @SevenSystems said:

ahh well that def sounds exciting! if you’re not opposed to it neither am i 🤣 i can see that being pretty beneficial... and absolutely getting good use out of x2, i’ve found my home with it and aum and currently taking my old projects in aum that are just au midifx jams and arranging them finally into some songs! that’ll keep me busy a while haha

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Would buy in an instance if I knew this was coming. I have the first version, but didn’t upgrade as I make lots of small pieces of music and the disconnect between two separate apps and all those saves was a bit off putting.

i kind of think of the app switching like when i was all in with ableton, in ableton you press TAB to switch back and forth between the clips view and the linear sequencer, which is what i do...made clips them recorded those clips into the linear... only with this there isn’ta tab button but rather double tap my home button and press on the window ... seems pretty muscle memory after just a couple sessions.. then just save both aum and x2 projects with the same name “ jam 1” or whatever. it’s got a benefit that most people may miss...
    i use a the same instruments and sounds a lot... similar to bands like metallica or skid row haha every song is basically the same instrument right? so i tends to do that when working on a concept of songs...anyway the benefit is that i can keep going to the same aum session to start off just start a new one in x2 with different recordings and ideas and even add new stuff to my aum sess to change it up and just resave each project with that new name... if that makes sense

• @reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

i kind of think of the app switching like when i was all in with ableton, in ableton you press TAB to switch back and forth between the clips view and the linear sequencer, which is what i do...made clips them recorded those clips into the linear... only with this there isn’ta tab button but rather double tap my home button and press on the window ... seems pretty muscle memory after just a couple sessions.. then just save both aum and x2 projects with the same name “ jam 1” or whatever. it’s got a benefit that most people may miss...
    i use a the same instruments and sounds a lot... similar to bands like metallica or skid row haha every song is basically the same instrument right? so i tends to do that when working on a concept of songs...anyway the benefit is that i can keep going to the same aum session to start off just start a new one in x2 with different recordings and ideas and even add new stuff to my aum sess to change it up and just resave each project with that new name... if that makes sense

Yes, much sense to be had there. One issue I still have (on version one) is the lack of a midi keyboard. I know the inbuilt ones are pretty decent, but I can’t see the timeline and play the keys at the same time. I rely a lot on the visual aspect of watching timelines for cues. This is an issue in many apps for me. Is version 2 any different? Can you see even a small representation of the timeline while playing the inbuilt keys?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Can you see even a small representation of the timeline while playing the inbuilt keys?

No, but you CAN see your current progress through the looped region (I must admit I can't remember if that feature already was in V1) :

• @SevenSystems said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Can you see even a small representation of the timeline while playing the inbuilt keys?

No, but you CAN see your current progress through the looped region (I must admit I can't remember if that feature already was in V1) :

yup this is what i was just about to add , if you are recording into a pre determined loop length, say 4 bars you’ll see it run thru the loop up top there, its not showing the grid markings for each bar or step if that’s what you need but you can tell where you are... i deleted version 1 last night and i don’t recall ever looking for it until you just mentioned it😄

• @SevenSystems said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thinking more like the mini blocks view in BM3

• edited February 2020

it would kinda cool to half size the built in keyboard and have your time line up top... similar cubasis or whatever, that’s something i would visit on the regular...dunno if it’s possible or on the “things id like to do list“ but hey id get on with that!

• @reasOne said:
    it would kinda cool to half size the built in keyboard and have your time line up too like cubasis or whatever, that’s something i would visit on the regular...dunno if it’s possible or on the “ things id like to do list “but hey id get on with that!

I suppose it’s because of the way I make music at the moment. I bung a few synths together in AUM and get lots of auto stuff going and make a long timeline with a few changes done live. Then I go along the timeline adding new stuff in here and there, so it’s very important for me to see where stuff is, or what is coming up soon.

• @White said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yes, please please please. App switching is soooo 2015, hehe. Just kidding, Xequence is great but just wish I could use more.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:
    it would kinda cool to half size the built in keyboard and have your time line up too like cubasis or whatever, that’s something i would visit on the regular...dunno if it’s possible or on the “ things id like to do list “but hey id get on with that!

I suppose it’s because of the way I make music at the moment. I bung a few synths together in AUM and get lots of auto stuff going and make a long timeline with a few changes done live. Then I go along the timeline adding new stuff in here and there, so it’s very important for me to see where stuff is, or what is coming up soon.

Plus I would really like a row of quick change buttons to go instantly to the keyboard / pads pages of the tracks, without having to go away from the keys / pads page.

• @Fruitbat1919 ya man i def like the idea of dropping the keys down and opening the top to see some of the time line.. it would be another reason that x2 continues to dominate for aum dabblers / midi dabblers . i’m just super sold on this thing and feeling like i’ve finally got the thing that glues it all together and is actually better than having a daw daw...i still want ableton style clip launching, one press / activate any clip you want across the grid... but x2 curves that desire with all of the capabilities that it does have! it pretty much checks all the boxes i need

• One advantage of hosting AU3 effects in a DAW, rather than using an external MIDI sequencer and AUM, is you don't get hairstepping on CCs (due to the low resolution). Maybe if people start adopting the new MIDI standard that would disappear as a problem.

• Yeah me too. Really would love to see the top while tracking. 🙏😌❤️

@reasOne said:
    @Fruitbat1919 ya man i def like the idea of dropping the keys down and opening the top to see some of the time line.. it would be another reason that x2 continues to dominate for aum dabblers / midi dabblers . i’m just super sold on this thing and feeling like i’ve finally got the thing that glues it all together and is actually better than having a daw daw...i still want ableton style clip launching, one press / activate any clip you want across the grid... but x2 curves that desire with all of the capabilities that it does have! it pretty much checks all the boxes i need

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Yeah me too. Really would love to see the top while tracking. 🙏😌❤️

@reasOne said:
    @Fruitbat1919 ya man i def like the idea of dropping the keys down and opening the top to see some of the time line.. it would be another reason that x2 continues to dominate for aum dabblers / midi dabblers . i’m just super sold on this thing and feeling like i’ve finally got the thing that glues it all together and is actually better than having a daw daw...i still want ableton style clip launching, one press / activate any clip you want across the grid... but x2 curves that desire with all of the capabilities that it does have! it pretty much checks all the boxes i need

we can try to persuade ol @SevenSystems to consider it 😎

• how tight is midi on ios?

can it replace a hardware sequencer, i have a lot of apps but ...i hate having to many DAWs and shit open...

• @panthera i have xequence2 going through audiobus into aum, it’s super tight

• edited March 2020

@mlau thx. i wasnt specific enough pardon me. i mean more in terms of sequencing external synths and stuff, inside the ios system it's tight. thats what i remember.
    i dont have an ipad at the moment to check midi tightness...but there are some great ipad
    offers...ive seen..so i might get one.

it's either ipad with USAMO (or something similar) or a Squarp pyramid..

• As long as you have a midi interface or audio interface with midi out, it is just as tight as on the iPad. I have sequenced my KORG triton taktile via USB as well as soft synths on my MacBook. Recorded midi and audio into Ableton. It was tight

• @SevenSystems said:

I would like this very much - I'm just too lazy for app-switching but then I couldn't make the time signatures you do in Xequence2 right now, could you? I just love that feature!

Also, I think this has been commented before but, what about the other way around: Xequence as AUv3 host?

• edited March 2020

@Monome said:
    I would like this very much - I'm just too lazy for app-switching but then I couldn't make the time signatures you do in Xequence2 right now, could you? I just love that feature!

I guess Xequence could just "stick" to its own time signature, ignoring the host's (at least as an option)... but it's something I'd have to investigate in detail.

Also, I think this has been commented before but, what about the other way around: Xequence as AUv3 host?

I've dabbled in this and actually got most of it working. However, it would need a lot of optimization still, and it currently has stability issues as soon as a few dozen AUv3 plugins are loaded in a project. So it's not totally impossible it might some day get finished! :)

(but then again, stability issues seem to be the hallmark of AUv3 on iOS in general!)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Monome said:

I guess Xequence could just "stick" to its own time signature, ignoring the host's (at least as an option)... but it's something I'd have to investigate in detail.

That would be ok, it's what I do anyway.

I've dabbled in this and actually got most of it working. However, it would need a lot of optimization still, and it currently has stability issues as soon as a few dozen AUv3 plugins are loaded in a project. So it's not totally impossible it might some day get finished! :)

(but then again, stability issues seem to be the hallmark of AUv3 on iOS in general!)

If the day comes, it would be appreciate. Xequence is already great, just to clarify :wink:

And now we are at it: I know there are a lot of sequencers and the like already but I would happily buy a set of MIDI tools as IAP just to save time and for the better integration. I'm thinking arpeggiators, note repeat... that is if you have some spare time :smile:

• @SevenSystems said:

@Monome said:

Listen to this guy. “A few dozen”. I get stability issues in CB3 with anywhere between 2-6 AUv3 plugs.

• @YourJunk said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Monome said:

Listen to this guy. “A few dozen”. I get stability issues in CB3 with anywhere between 2-6 AUv3 plugs.

:) Most of them were lightweight though (Ruismaker, Bleass, Sunrizer, Poison-202, TB Eq. Stuff like that.) For reference, I created almost the same project with the same plug-ins and settings in Cubasis 2, and it all went quite smooth. So I got homework to do!

• @SevenSystems said:

@YourJunk said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Monome said:

:) Most of them were lightweight though (Ruismaker, Bleass, Sunrizer, Poison-202, TB Eq. Stuff like that.) For reference, I created almost the same project with the same plug-ins and settings in Cubasis 2, and it all went quite smooth. So I got homework to do!

A fair. I’m sure Shockwave is more intensive than any of those and I use it on just about everything.

But still though, good on ya.

• @White said:

@SevenSystems said:

It definitely would! L7 looper only supports one instance and it still makes sense as an au. I love the Xequence>Audiobus>AUM setup but Xequence as an au in a single host, syncing to the hosts midi clock and spp would be more elegant.

• @reasOne said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@SevenSystems said:

So why don‘t you use „Assistive Touch“ This helps a lot and is almost as fast as pressing the tab key. And it makes the life of the Home Button longer ;-)
    I configured it so, that a single tap opens the Dock, double tap brings me to the App switcher and triple tap opens the menu. And — if you want to get rid of the icon, just tap the home button 3 times (toggles Assistive Touch on/off). This makes me almost feel like AUM and Xequence2 was one App with two windows.

• Am having hard time doing a simple task 🙃 i have Aum and Xequence2 in sync. I have no problem playing the apps in Xequence2, but i would like to play an app in a midi collider and record in Xequence2 the collider, then stop the collider and just play what was recorded by the app. If someone can help me out ....